Options

Welcome to soft touch UK

deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Mail wrote:

Welcome to soft touch UK: Outrage as immigrants illegally entering UK get free hotel rooms, cooked meals and £35 cash a week within days of arrival

*Migrants given hotel room, three cooked meals a day and £35 cash a week
*Migrant get a double ensuite room, usually priced at £70 a night
*The Home Office rushed out plans to strip failed asylum-seeking families of their benefits

Hundreds of migrants who have smuggled themselves into Britain from Calais are being put up in hotels at taxpayers' expense.

Stowaways who have illegally entered the country on lorries or trains through the Channel Tunnel are being transported across England and given their own hotel room, three cooked meals a day and a cash allowance of £35 a week – all within days of entering the UK.

They are being accommodated in hotels boasting pools, gyms and spas even before claiming asylum, because official reception centres cannot cope with the recent surge in illegal arrivals.

But their presence has angered paying British guests, who have taken to posting reviews on TripAdvisor warning other holidaymakers that otherwise reputable hotels all over the UK have been turned into impromptu 'refugee camps'.

After a week of chaos in Calais that has seen thousands of migrants trying to sneak into Britain – and hundreds succeeding – critics said the decision to house new arrivals in hotels was further evidence that Ministers have lost control.

The Government pays private companies £150 million to accommodate would-be asylum seekers after they have been caught by the police entering the country illegally.

But private contractor Serco has admitted that 100 recent immigrants are staying in hotels as an emergency measure because the country's six dedicated immigration centres, built to accommodate 1,200 people, are already full.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3182519/Welcome-soft-touch-UK-Outrage-immigrants-illegally-entering-UK-free-hotel-rooms-cooked-meals-35-cash-week-days-arrival.html#ixzz3hbPwN1ij
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

No wonder they don't want to stay in France, they get nothing from the French authorities.

It's just a suggestion but has our government ever considered a field and some old army tents? Most of these migrants have just come from the Calais jungle camp and now they are being put up in nice hotels. They were not put up in nice hotels in Calais.

I'm not sure we are sending out the right message here.
Eventually, last Monday, he arrived at the three-star Best Western Park Hall hotel in Chorley, Lancashire, which boasts a banqueting hall, function rooms and a tree-lined lake.

As well as strolling around the 140 acres of wooded countryside, guests who pay about £70 a night for a room can also take full advantage of the leisure facilities including two indoor pools, Jacuzzi, gym and spa.

If they have a mobile phone they can take some photos and send them to those still in Calais so they know what to expect if they make it to the UK.
On Friday night, as holidaying families ate meals, asylum seekers wandered around the grounds smoking cigarettes and talking on mobile phones. About 22 asylum seekers are thought to have been given en suite double rooms at the hotel with Freeview televisions.

They eat in a private room away from other guests and have enjoyed breakfasts of croissants, toast and tea and coffee; lunches of tuna sandwiches with chips and salad and dinners of pasta bake, chips and rice. Staff from Serco are on site but the asylum seekers are free to leave. They are given £5 a day to buy essentials such as toiletries from local shops. They have also been promised free legal aid, and once their asylum claim is being processed they will be entitled to free health care, education and housing potentially worth thousands.

Handy for watching the Calais migrant crisis unfold on television.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you rung the Daily Fail to make sure it is all factually correct what you have reposted?

Cos I rung them a couple of years ago when they printed a big article about tanker drivers all being on £45000 plus a year, and guess what?
    They couldn't substantiate it with any evidence.....
  • Options
    alfamalealfamale Posts: 10,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't the vast majority end up in that 5 star hotel Yarl's Wood. Looks lovely there. sadly no swimming pooll though.

http://www.rt.com/uk/252385-yarls-wood-widow-strike/
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Have you rung the Daily Fail to make sure it is all factually correct what you have reposted?

Cos I rung them a couple of years ago when they printed a big article about tanker drivers all being on £45000 plus a year, and guess what?

Why do you assume it isn't true. If there is no room left in the detention centres then inevitably they have to be put up somewhere and hotels would seem to be the logical place. Serco are responsible for looking after these people - like everything else it's all outsourced so ministers aren't accountable directly.
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Certainly doesnt seem to be any mention of asylum seeking swarms on Tripadvisor for that hotel, but then maybe they're keeping themselves to themselves.

Perhaps we should support other countries to prevent people having to leave their countries or trek all the way to the UK in the first place.
  • Options
    SoomacdooSoomacdoo Posts: 6,645
    Forum Member
    I checked the trip advisor reviews as well and couldn't find anything. Can the hotel delete someones review if they say something that the hotel don't like?
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    So what does the DM hope to achieve with these stories? I can't see it being anything good. Would they stop if some serial killer (or gang of vigilantes) decided to start killing illegal immigrants and used their stories (and they are stories, not facts) as justification?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    So what does the DM hope to achieve with these stories? I can't see it being anything good. Would they stop if some serial killer (or gang of vigilantes) decided to start killing illegal immigrants and used their stories (and they are stories, not facts) as justification?

To embarrass the government in to changing the asylum system I would expect.

There is no reason why they can't find a field, put a fence around it, put up a load of tents and add some portable toilets and a washing facility. Get some charity to set up a canteen for cooking meals. The weather is not that cold and it's a good introduction to the British way of life, i.e. traditional camping holidays.

We even pay the legal fees for asylum claims, I wonder if the French do? Perhaps the French are right to say it's our own fault for being so generous.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just checked trip advisor reviews for the Brittania hotel Wigan, this week:

There were groups of Asylum seekers congregating around, making it somewhat intimidating. They seemed to be residing and dining on the same floor we were allocated. Waitresses were taking large number of plates and wheeling trolleys of food to that floor

Hotel is used for clearance for Home office so a lot of males hanging around , some couldn't speak English, a bit unnerving to say the least.They had more staff dealing with these than the rest of the hotel.

One thing I would like to mention is the issue of the hotel being used by the Home Office as temporary accommodation. Having large groups of men congregating outside the hotel can be a little intimidating. Due to the fact that there are also families with young children being housed here, it is somewhat noisy early in the morning. We did complain about the noise from the room next door in the afternoon, and this was dealt with swiftly and efficiently.
  • Options
    greenyonegreenyone Posts: 3,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just had a look on TA for the Britannia Wigan I couldn't see anything about asylum seekers are there two hotels in Wigan
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    greenyone wrote: »
    I just had a look on TA for the Britannia Wigan I couldn't see anything about asylum seekers are there two hotels in Wigan

http://www.booking.com/hotel/gb/wiganstandishmoathouse.en-gb.html#tab-reviews
    Robert wrote:

"Steer Clear!! Needs updating/cleaning and new Management that care about paying guests."

-Rooms, we were allocate 3 rooms due to cleanliness/maintenance issues.
    The Hotel is used as a hostel for Asylum seekers and this is widely known locally however not advertised when booking!
    Value for money it is not, over priced for quality of accommodation!

+The location was ideal for the event we attended at the DW Stadium.

Found this review.

Just Google 'Brittania hotel Wigan asylum seekers'
  • Options
    MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    They try to make the hotel sound ultra luxurious but £70 is Travel Lodge standard???
  • Options
    Forum Member

What a ridiculous comparison.

I think they are highlighting the point that taxpayers funds are being used to put these people up in three star hotels alongside British taxpayers paying full rate. Clearly there can be limited security so they are free to flee at any time.

Sorry it does illustrate what a soft touch we are compared to say the French. No doubt their free legal teams will be regular visitors too while legal aid is cut back for UK taxpayers.
  • Options
    heresittingheresitting Posts: 2,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There is no reason why they can't find a field, put a fence around it, put up a load of tents and add some portable toilets and a washing facility. Get some charity to set up a canteen for cooking meals. The weather is not that cold and it's a good introduction to the British way of life, i.e. traditional camping holidays.

We even pay the legal fees for asylum claims, I wonder if the French do? Perhaps the French are right to say it's our own fault for being so generous.

Look at all those tents that are left behind at Glastonbury - surely recycling those would qualify us for some EU grant to boot!
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The Daily Mail exists to sell copies of the Daily Mail. It's just pandering to it's readers prejudices.

Basic Premier Inn rooms are £70 a night these days.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

These are NOT stories - they are facts, and I'm pretty sure you already know that. People who invade a country without following legal border controls are CRIMINALS. If they were fleeing a supposed hell-hole they would fall on their knees with gratitude when they got to France... but no, that's not good enough is it, oh no. These "desperate" people treat the world like a pic-n-mix where they can just point at their chosen country and say "That one!".

Perhaps this is what Cameron is hoping for all along... that he pushes people so far and then matters will be taken out of his hands.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    £70 a night, so thats £490 per week per person that we, the taxpayer, are funding. Does that sound right to you?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soomacdoo wrote: »
    £70 a night, so thats £490 per week per person that we, the taxpayer, are funding. Does that sound right to you?

Serco (who usually do this type of thing) will have no doubt negotiated a block discount from the hotel... but then the government has to pay Serco... so the final cost will be way more than 70 a night.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mesostim wrote: »
    They try to make the hotel sound ultra luxurious but £70 is Travel Lodge standard???

The point is:

1. Stay in France, live in a camp called the jungle, get harassed by the riot police, no chance of finding a job in a highly regulated labour market, probably no legal aid for asylum claims.

2. Come to the UK. Get put up in a hotel that looks like paradise compared to where they have been sleeping since they left their home country, find a back market job, get all legal aid paid for them.

What would you do if you were them?

The French accuse us of tempting them to try and cross the channel by being too generous. How is this going to look? The article says they are walking around with mobiles. Word will have got back by now that Britain's really is paradise.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    The Daily Mail exists to sell copies of the Daily Mail. It's just pandering to it's readers prejudices.

A £70 a night room may not seem much in the way of luxury from your point of view, but to a migrant sleeping in a boat packed full of people for days on end, or sleeping rough in a forest in Calais, it is probably the height of luxury.
  • Options
    Jim NashJim Nash Posts: 1,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Word will have got back by now that Britain's really is paradise.

That word got out a long time previously. This will only bolster their anxiety to get into freeloader heaven.
  • Options
    alfamalealfamale Posts: 10,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Soomacdoo wrote: »

I hate to disappoint you but whatever private company that runs Yarl's Wood and other immigration detention centres (which are now full so other accommodation is being found) would probably charge the govt more than £70 a day per inmate. At least a tiny minority of immigrants get to be treated like humans for a day or two before a cell for them is found.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JCR wrote: »

You mean those readers who are paying their taxes to pay for these £70 a night rooms. Same readers whose elderly parents are required to pay £1000 a week out of their own funds when they move into residential care cos we have no money despite having paid into the system for decades.

We are total mugs.
  • Options
    thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member

I think anything that looks anything like the concentration camps went out of style a bit post WW2. And the Boer War. Malaysian and Kenyan experience wasn't good for the UK either. If the government did that , we would have Corbyn supporters trying to break them out, lawyers making a bomb in damages claims, , and it would cost far more to build ,run, and police, a camp, than it would to stick them in a hotel room .If you want to keep them in secure conditions - where they won't vanish - the problem is how much you want to pay for that GIVEN how long you have to keep them there - as the lawyers refuse to deal with the issue speedily. Who else could apy for the asylum claim in most cases?
  • Options
    GTR DavoGTR Davo Posts: 4,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is disgusting!! not only is my native Kent at a standstill with motorways packed with lorries making my life a pain in the backside getting to the coast to visit family but now we are expected to pay for these people? it makes me sick to my back teeth! I was in Florida a few weeks back and returned with my American fiance so that she could visit my family only to be questioned by immigration at the airport like some sort of criminal yet these people its: "come on in!!"

The only thing these people should be seeing when they arrive is a pair of handcuffs and a nice boat back to the hole they come from.