Options

Cilla Black has died

Comments

• Options
    Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steviem wrote: »
    Vile vile woman, not gonna change my opinion just cos she might be dead.

Master of Hyperbole, you are.
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just because someone has an opinion doesn't make it valid or admissible.

So by some logic on here, those who are posting how she was a nice person without knowing her are not admissible either.
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky news and BBC news are not running the sad loss 24/7 like they do with other big stories
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    JT2060 wrote: »
    Lionel Blair has just been on LBC saying how much he, Biggins and O'Grady used to have such fun with her.

Eew...the mind boggles.
  • Options
    dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing on the BBC News 1.30pm headlines. It seems the channel has it's Sunday schedule written in stone and it's not going to deviate from it. The Queen could've died and Mawhinney would still have just gone over to Dateline London. Another reason for the licence fee to go, but that's for another thread.

I suspect the BBC are waiting for a family announcement maybe? They seem to be cautious in revealing breaking news without such a source.

However the death of The Queen would be a completely different situation to today though. With The Queen unless her death happens in public the broadcasters will have prior warnings and time to get everything in place for a formal announcement.

However in the instance of the Queen passing in this day of breaking news and social media I do wonder if the rumour mill will start before any formal announcement.
  • Options
    chaz richchaz rich Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JamieHT wrote: »
    So by some logic on here, those who are posting how she was a nice person without knowing her are not admissible either.

You beat me to it, well said.
  • Options
    Double HelixDouble Helix Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    Eew...the mind boggles.

Shouldn't that be "Biggles"? :D
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 48,016
    Forum Member
    Nothing on the BBC News 1.30pm headlines. It seems the channel has it's Sunday schedule straight from this morning's Guardian, and it's not going to deviate from it. The Queen could've died and Mawhinney would still have just gone over to Dateline London. Another reason for the licence fee to go, but that's for another thread.
    I bet Tony Hall himself is blocking the release of the story thinking that broadcasting the news without 100% certainty would be damaging to the BBC. But not broadcasting it, is also damaging!!
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    JamieHT wrote: »

People who post nasty comments about someone anonymously which they would never do in person about that person says a lot more about them than the person they are spouting nonsense about. As another poster said these people lead sad lives, probably don't get out much or have much interaction in the real world.
  • Options
    FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of the posts thread are really low - even by DS standards. I'm not particularly a fan but neither do I give much store to unsubstantiated rumour and gossip. If you didn't know her personally, you really didn't know her at all - regardless of what you may or may not have read about her.
    Apart from anything else if she really was that unpleasant she would never have lasted the time that she did in the business (40 years +). Any slurs on your character and your career in showbiz can grind to a halt pretty quickly.
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sorry she has passed on, but to be honest I wasn't a massive fan anyway!

There is a clip on YT somewhere of Debra Stephenson being interviewed by the Loose Women & she told a story of a party she & a friend were invited to, & Cilla was there as well.

Deb's friend took her up to Cilla & said 'My friend does an impersonation of you!' to which Cilla's reply was 'Well don't!'
  • Options
    David WrightDavid Wright Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mandark wrote: »
    I bet Tony Hall himself is blocking the release of the story thinking that broadcasting the news without 100% certainty would be damaging to the BBC. But not broadcasting it, is also damaging!!

I think it's more to do with BBC News virtually shutting down on a Sunday...

Goodness knows how they would perform if something REALLY huge happened on a Sunday like a terrorist attack or the death of Queen/PM etc...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dpb wrote: »
    I suspect the BBC are waiting for a family announcement maybe? They seem to be cautious in revealing breaking news without such a source.

However the death of The Queen would be a completely different situation to today though. With The Queen unless her death happens in public the broadcasters will have prior warnings and time to get everything in place for a formal announcement.

However in the instance of the Queen passing in this day of breaking news and social media I do wonder if the rumour mill will start before any formal announcement.
    We once had a long discussion on this. I don't think foreign news outlets will see why they should hold back. TMZ has made its name on releasing celeb news early but with high confidence.
  • Options
    Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a bad age for a heavy drinker. Enjoyed life. RIP.
  • Options
    seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is sad new but Cilla recently wrote or said that 75 was a good time to go, so she got her way.

My own feelings and opinions on her is that she held her public in contempt,---at least found most of them odd, I'm not sure she enjoyed the attention of it all but understood its importance.

Having said that she was the consummate professional, there from the start of the Mersey beat.

Her marriage to Bobby was solid, maybe a little rocky sometimes but the both of them bread and jam, they were each other's rocks and his death, devastated her.

Her name " Black " was a publication error and she stuck with it.

Up to the 70s, she had a great voice and I still listen and enjoy her early hits.

Sad news, Cilla brought a lot of joy into people's lives, she had been round the block a few times, had seen and heard it all.
  • Options
    MargMckMargMck Posts: 24,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dazza89 wrote: »
    Piers Morgan leading the tributes on SKY News :o:o:o

Yep :D:o considering he had Cilla on his list of "most obnoxious celebrities".
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-469813/Piers-Morgan-Why-Cilla-Black-list-worlds-obnoxious-celebrities.html
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sky News have confirmed Spanish police have confirmed her death through Reuters News.
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People who post nasty comments about someone anonymously which they would never do in person about that person says a lot more about them than the person they are spouting nonsense about. As another poster said these people lead sad lives, probably don't get out much or have much interaction in the real world.

Or maybe they have more interaction in the real world because they realise that all celebrities are not saints.

Anonymity is the name of the game on a site like this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    FrankBT wrote: »
    Apart from anything else if she really was that unpleasant she would never have lasted the time that she did in the business (40 years +). Any slurs on your character and your career in showbiz can grind to a halt pretty quickly.
    Very good point!
  • Options
    CelticMythCelticMyth Posts: 3,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A true cultural icon.

Britain will never be the same again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sky News have confirmed Spanish police have confirmed her death through Reuters News.
    The BBC should be announcing soon then. May be at 2pm.
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FrankBT wrote: »

Of course. I mean, look at Jimmy Savile.
  • Options
    TARDIS BlueTARDIS Blue Posts: 10,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some of the posts thread are really low - even by DS standards. I'm not particularly a fan but neither do I give much store to unsubstantiated rumour and gossip. If you didn't know her personally, you really didn't know her at all - regardless of what you may or may not have read about her.

Is it too much to expect that if you didn't like her you say nothing, for today at least.

Reading some of the tributes on Twitter she brought a lot of entertainment to a lot of people - and will be missed by many.

I mostly agree. I've never followed her work and as I never met her personally, nor do I know much about her, I can't make a sound judgement either way. But it seems that there are a lot of people who have had negative experiences with her and while some accounts might be embellishments, half-truths or even lies I wouldn't dismiss them completely. Given the number of less than pleasant accounts out there, I think there is most likely something in them.

However, as a general rule, I don't condone celebrating somebody's death. That's not to say that we have to be false and start making out we had a lot of time for the deceased, when in fact we didn't, but that's where the old phrase "if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all" comes in. As you say, for today at least.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MargMck wrote: »
    They probably used to laugh about it during drinky poos! :D
  • Options
    CelticMythCelticMyth Posts: 3,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC should be covering Cilla's death on at least 3 channels as they did with Mandella.