Options

Cilla Black has died

Comments

• Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    BBC finally confirming it on Radio news. "It has been revealed in the last few minutes that entertainer, Cilla Black, has died at her home in Spain"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    CRM wrote: »
    Surprise surprise.

Cabin crew all over the world will be relieved.

I nearly spat out my coffee reading that x
  • Options
    SpyInsiderSpyInsider Posts: 502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC have just reported the news.
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It will probably be conviently 'forgotten about' by the time Newswatch returns, as will the 'sound issue' I mentioned on another thread.
  • Options
    Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glitter03 wrote: »
    I don't have a strong opinion either way on Cilla but i have to disagree with this! Plenty of unpleasant people have lasted many years in the industry. I think Jimmy Saville is probably the best example?! Not that i am comparing Jimmy and Cilla before anyone jumps on that.

I agree. Jimmy and Cilla were icons of television when 20m plus watched. They became untouchable. Fact is many of that viewing generation wouldn't have believed any negative stuff anyway. Cilla was just an diva who had been indulged for far too long. She played the liverpudlian working class routine for audience but she stopped having any grasp of this life in 1960's.
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC like to hold back to make sure now it seems they are breaking it
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The banner on the BBC says the presenterhas (no space) died. Sigh.
  • Options
    CRMCRM Posts: 11,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mrs Checks wrote: »
    I think it's very unfair to compare a man responsible for so many deaths to an entertainer who allegedly had a reputation for being unpleasant.
    I haven't compared them.
  • Options
    thats_racistthats_racist Posts: 1,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    BBC like to hold back to make sure now it seems they are breaking it

Except the story broke 2 hours ago.
    The BBC is a dinosaur by modern news standards.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SpyInsider wrote: »
    BBC have just reported the news.

They like to make sure
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dpb wrote: »
    Very true. If memory serves me right weren't the foreign news outlets reporting Diana's death before the British media? And look at how much media has changed in the almost 18 years since.

I think it will depend how much the palace can manage the news and the circumstances of the Queen's passing. (In some respect Diana was different as she was no longer officially a royal and her death happened on an open road.)

BTW - 2pm BBC News Channel has Cilla as the leading story.

If she dies in a palace they will be able to control news. If anywhere else not a chance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

BBC just said it started to filter out about an hour ago 😒
  • Options
    FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course. I mean, look at Jimmy Savile.
    What a ridiculous comparison. To the best of my knowledge, Cilla Black was not a major criminal, who sexually molested children or had friends in the police and high places who tried to cover up for her. Where are her 'victims'? Oh hang on. This is DS. I nearly forgot. No doubt they'll all be coming forward in the weeks to come. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    VulpesVulpes Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aw, loved Blind Date.

Rest in peace.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC won't be interested as she worked for commercial rivals
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC are moving on to other news 😁
  • Options
    SpyInsiderSpyInsider Posts: 502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paul O'Grady has spoken about Cilla's death: "Please tell me this isn’t true? We’ve been friends for nearly 20 years. She’s like my sister."

“I thought she was well. I can’t believe it to tell you the truth.”

http://www.twitcelebgossip.com/15929-paul-ogrady-finding-cilla-blacks-death-very-difficult-to-comprehend/
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 48,016
    Forum Member
    occy wrote: »
    BBC just said it started to filter out about an hour ago 😒
    First post here was 12.27 pm. Over 90 mins ago.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's becoming a joke. All they need to do is report source and say they are waiting official confirmation. The audience are intelligent enough to understand this. BBC as a 24 hour news service is just not up to standard. It's a regurgitating old news and putting our slant on it news service.
  • Options
    Mrs ChecksMrs Checks Posts: 8,434
    Forum Member
    CRM wrote: »
    I haven't compared them.

Ok let me rephrase...

I think it is very unfair to use the hyperbolic example of people on the internet potentially paying respects to an evil dictator responsible for so many deaths, in direct relation to the death of Cilla Black, in order to illustrate both your opinion that Cilla was an unpleasant person and that people who are writing messages of RIP, are, in your view, ridiculous for doing so.
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,130
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    striing wrote: »
    Haha. Well I initially got the Cilla news from... The Mail Online. :blush: It comes to something when they are more up to date than the BBC website. I'm not suggesting this is massive world news but when the headline news is athletics doping (which is a day old), followed by migrants in Calais (which is at least 30 years old) I would have thought there'd be one line on the BBC website. Unless they know something we don't. (I have no view either way on the comments in this thread - reading the thread is the first time I'd heard any negatives as I've never followed Cilla, other than watching her TV shows in the 80s).

From what the BBC reporter was saying, it has been impossible to get absolute confirmation, which is what the BBC will always try to do in circumstances such as this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mandark wrote: »
    First post here was 12.27 pm. Over 90 mins ago.

The BBC do like to make sure as they have been accused before of wrong reporting
  • Options
    CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    72 for some reason feels too young
  • Options
    hazydayzhazydayz Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    This is a surprise..............................surprise.

RIP Cilla.
  • Options
    this_THATthis_THAT Posts: 2,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grew up watching blind date

Legend