Options

The Soham Murders

Hershal_GreeneHershal_Greene Posts: 759
Forum Member
✭✭
Ian Huntley I for some reason thought was dead.

I remember being a child and really being creeped out by the media coverage.
Harold Shipman was daunting, I was worried for a while about Doctors at my GP surgery :blush:

They are both vile.

Comments

• Options
    Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If only he was dead .. the world would be a little bit better.
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The bird had an attempted suicide attempt at the time, I remember the hospital near her prison being blocked by reporters
  • Options
    Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    They had serial killers long before them you know. They are not a new invention:

Going backwards in time:
    The Yorkshire Ripper (70s-80s)
    The Moors Murderers (60s)
    John Christie (40s-50s)
    and so many more!
  • Options
    Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They had serial killers long before them you know. They are not a new invention:

Going backwards in time:
    John Christie (40s-50s)
    and so many more!
    I wouldn't call Ian Hunter a serial killer actually as he only committed the Soham murders.
    An impulse killer perhaps and before anyone pipes up and says "so that's ok then" or some other trite quip,I'd put him down in the blink of an eye for what he did that day.
  • Options
    seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jack the Ripper, and while not UK grown, there have been a couple of Russians who have put most of ours to shame, then there was H.H. Holmes and not forgetting Norman Bates and---and.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 116,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't call Ian Hunter a serial killer actually as he only committed the Soham murders.

Hence his 40 year tariff rather than whole life. Will still be a media storm when the 68 year old Huntley comes up for release.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Going backwards in time:
    John Christie (40s-50s)
    and so many more!

He isn't a serial killer. Serial offender definitely, even if not necessarily convicted of previous offences.

He was a predatory paedophile and is now a convicted murderer.

The thing i find disgusting about this case, aside from the horrific crime, was the blatant and calculated perverting of the course of justice.
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I recall a thread about this at one time, from a conspiracy site, that claimed Huntley was setup, and it was American airmen that actually committed the crime (it would be wouldn't it?)

There were those convinced that was the case too.:confused:
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    He isn't a serial killer. Serial offender definitely, even if not necessarily convicted of previous offences.

He was a predatory paedophile and is now a convicted murderer.

The thing i find disgusting about this case, aside from the horrific crime, was the blatant and calculated perverting of the course of justice.
    I still think Maxine Carr got off lightly.
  • Options
    fleabeefleabee Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't. She was in a controlling relationship.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think she was just stupid and gullible, duped by Huntley like the rest of us were. All she did was give him an alibi because she believed he was innocent. She didn't take part in covering up the murder and her actions didn't result in any further offences.

She was a silly girl who is very unlikely to ever trust(therefore, offend) again
  • Options
    fleabeefleabee Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she was just stupid and gullible, duped by Huntley like the rest of us were. All she did was give him an alibi because she believed he was innocent. She didn't take part in covering up the murder and her actions didn't result in any further offences.

She was a silly girl who is very unlikely to ever trust again.

Exactly.
  • Options
    KittyKinsKittyKins Posts: 1,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seacam wrote: »
    Jack the Ripper, and while not UK grown, there have been a couple of Russians who have put most of ours to shame, then there was H.H. Holmes and not forgetting Norman Bates and---and.

Norman Bates? :D
  • Options
    GracieLGracieL Posts: 4,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still remember seeing Holly and Jessica's in their Man U tops on the news, that picture will be etched in my mind forever.

May Ian Huntley rot in jail.

I dunno, I'm not saying what she did was right but at the end of the day she was a silly naive girl who just fell for her boyfriend's stinking lies. Remember she's got to live with that guilt for the rest of her life.
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hopefully he'll be attacked within an inch of his life some more times while he rots in jail. It's all he deserves.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Too lovely girls.

How could someone do anything to harm them or for that matter any children?

I recall the father of Holly Well's saying that he'll be waiting for him when he comes out of prison, I don't think they'll ever let him out .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Shipman as an individual is a more worrying case, Huntley was aware he had committed an evil deed and tried to cover it up.

Shipman never admitted to doing anything wrong, these old biddies just died after he'd visted them, coincidence.
  • Options
    Hershal_GreeneHershal_Greene Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Shipman as an individual is a more worrying case, Huntley was aware he had committed an evil deed and tried to cover it up.

Shipman never admitted to doing anything wrong, these old biddies just died after he'd visted them, coincidence.

Some of the victims relatives claimed he was doing them justice as some were very ill.
  • Options
    duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has it ever been explained exactly what happened?
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i predict around 8:00pm
  • Options
    Hank1234Hank1234 Posts: 3,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duffsdad wrote: »
    Has it ever been explained exactly what happened?

No.. He never said why he did it
  • Options
    Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    I watched a programme recently on Dennis Nilsen - I was shocked at what a prolific and horrific murderer he was. Ian Huntley was a sick and deranged man and gets (rightly so) lots of attention and hatred directed towards him. It doesn't appear to be the case with Nilsen - his youngest victim was just fourteen years old. :(
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Nilsen
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hank1234 wrote: »
    No.. He never said why he did it

Based on his previous it seemed pretty clear what the motive was.
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aren't we a bit overdue a crazy killer? The last ones I can think of are Crossbow Cannibal and the two Muslims who beheaded Lee Rigby unless I've missed some along the way?
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 139,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

She was a silly girl who is very unlikely to ever trust(therefore, offend) again

I don't believe that for a minute.