Comments

• Options
    grauniadgrauniad Posts: 7,966
    Forum Member
    Apparently it does !!
  • Options
    testcardtestcard Posts: 8,202
    Forum Member
    "Our thoughts are with the family and friends of..." Pretty much any police officer anywhere near a microphone or camera nowadays following a major disaster/murder/burglary/death of a family pet...

"We take the health/safety/security of our customers/patients/clients very seriously..."
    Standard corporate response following an incident that might reflect badly on the company in question.
  • Options
    Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JT2060 wrote: »
    Mothers who refer to their newborn child as 'Baby [insert name]'.

Or simply as 'Baby'. There's been a spate of births from women at work (5 births in less than a year) and there's also a couple of new grandmothers and I constantly hear, "How's, Baby?" and not "How is the baby?" or "How is [insert name]?"

A new one which makes me want to punch people. Mainly an internet thing.
    Written as 'Dat [thing] do'. English translation 'That [thing] though.'

When British people call somebody a douche bag.
  • Options
    TeganRhanTeganRhan Posts: 2,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or simply as 'Baby'. There's been a spate of births from women at work (5 births in less than a year) and there's also a couple of new grandmothers and I constantly hear, "How's, Baby?" and not "How is the baby?" or "How is [insert name]?"

A new one which makes me want to punch people. Mainly an internet thing.
    Written as 'Dat [thing] do'. English translation 'That [thing] though.'

When British people call somebody a douche bag.

You've no idea how happy this has made me. It's not just me!!!! I thought I was being stupid and that's the proper way to say it! THANK YOU!
    It makes me want to go "I don't ****ing know? Who's baby? Dylan's alright by the way,thanks for asking. Rude!" Lol

December three instead of December third, or what ever. I noticed it crept into the cinema adverts last year and it's driving me up the wall!
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Or simply as 'Baby'. .

Talking of baby I saw a bleach blond thing looking in baby's buggy and repeatedly saying 'oh my god', 'oh my god' to make her baby smile.

What the hell's all that about :confused:
  • Options
    RepublicOfYorksRepublicOfYorks Posts: 3,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A footballing one, 'drop zone' to refer to the relegation zone. Very Sky. For future reference: A drop zone is a place where parachutists or parachuted supplies land. It can be an area targeted for landing by paratroopers, or a base from which recreational parachutists and skydivers take off in aircraft and land under parachutes

And two that are used in any story to do with military build-up by NATO or Russia - 'sabre-rattling' and 'beef up'.

NATO are 'beefing up' their forces in the Baltics. I just imagine them herding a load of cows. 'Strengthening' is accurate and not in any way tabloidy... how stupid would you have to be not to understand it, and need 'beefing up' instead?

And 'sabre-rattling'. It's to do with some obscure event in Chile 100 years ago - I had to look it up on wikipedia, I had no idea. I bet most of the people using it have no idea either. And it just goes with the complacent hogwash that any strengthening of armed forces or declaration of intent can just be dismissed as unimportant.

Putin says 'we're going to have the biggest and most modern nuclear arsenal in history.' "Oh it's just sabre-rattling!" So, let's not bother to analyze why he's saying this, just ignore it and carry on.... AARRGGH! >:(
  • Options
    howardlhowardl Posts: 5,120
    Forum Member
    Not a phrase, but, the fukcing word 'amazing'....it's used too much!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    howardl wrote: »

Ok, maybe you'll like the one I use better...(I very much doubt it, but it's worth a try) AMAZEBALLS!
  • Options
    RepublicOfYorksRepublicOfYorks Posts: 3,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    howardl wrote: »

Yes, by millennials downwards. To describe the most humdrum thing.... "that chicken tikka I had last night was, like, AMAZING!" How would they react if something truly amazing were to happen?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Literally being used instead of figuratively. "I literally died laughing!" Or "I literally shit my self!" If either statement is true I don't want to talk to you. 1- cause you're literally a zombie or 2- cause you literally smell.
  • Options
    Lewi26Lewi26 Posts: 11,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People who call Britain Blighty and the BBC aunty make me cringe so much my teeth hurt. And then so angry I want to beat them repeatedly
  • Options
    BadLadAshBadLadAsh Posts: 28,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lewi26 wrote: »
    People who call Britain Blighty and the BBC aunty make me cringe so much my teeth hurt. And then so angry I want to beat them repeatedly

Yes! or even worse Aunty 'Beeb'!
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,592
    Forum Member
    TeganRhan wrote: »
    Literally being used instead of figuratively. "I literally died laughing!" Or "I literally shit my self!" If either statement is true I don't want to talk to you. 1- cause you're literally a zombie or 2- cause you literally smell.

This usage has become so ingrained it's now in the dictionary!

informal
    used for emphasis while not being literally true.
    "I have received literally thousands of letters"

http://theweek.com/articles/466957/how-wrong-definition-literally-sneaked-into-dictionary
  • Options
    OrangePerilOrangePeril Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    A friend of mine uses the phrase "And so forth" about 50 times in every telephone call, so that phrase can really boil my pi$$ at times.

Is your friend Jules Hudson? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Can I GET a ........" when ordering something, I've never heard it in real life (Thankfully).
    "Step up" or "Step up to the plate" usually heard on the Jeremy Kyle show :mad:
  • Options
    OrangePerilOrangePeril Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    Totes
    Totes Amazeballs (aargh)
    Londoninium instead of London
    I know, right
    Overuse of 'totally '
  • Options
    Jim NashJim Nash Posts: 1,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Superlative" used in place of "superb".

"He gave a superlative performance".

"I could care less" in place of "I couldn't care less".

"I could care less what you think".

Believe it or not, some Yanks say that.
  • Options
    PedroPedro Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    When someone (undoubtedly a CRETIN) describes an activity as "so fun" or "the funnest". WTF has happened to our Education Sytem? A lot of these imbeciles claim to be "teachers" ..........
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Off you go. (Please don't use this any more, Masterchef.)
    The race card. (Irony is always lost on those who utter this.)
    Everything happens for a reason. (Usually said to a grieving or terminally ill person.)
    Not very ladylike of her.
    Not very ladylike of you.
    Onwards and upwards.

Phrases at work annoy me much more:

Hit the ground running. <--- I loathe this most.
    Let's think outside the box.
    We all are a family here.
    Let's touch base later.
    I'll touch base with you later.
    Doesn't this have a whiff of Xerox? (translation: this isn't original enough / it's too similar to something else.)
    You snooze, you lose.
    Losing is for wimps and losers.
    Are you a team player or are you a team player?
  • Options
    Lewi26Lewi26 Posts: 11,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BadLadAsh wrote: »
    Yes! or even worse Aunty 'Beeb'!

My arse just actually hurt reading that
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,592
    Forum Member
    BadLadAsh wrote: »
    "Can I GET a ........" when ordering something, I've never heard it in real life (Thankfully).

This seems to be the most hated phrase in the land, judging by this thread! Doesn't bother me though - I find it fairly innocuous.
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok try to get your heads around this one....

Let me run this past you..

And women who call their child Little man
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lewi26 wrote: »
    My arse just actually hurt reading that

Lol what does it even mean? where did it come from? :confused:
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The word "Awesome"
    Overused, particularly by the Americans
  • Options
    owl61ukowl61uk Posts: 3,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hate people who start sentences with,

at the end of the day,

or throw in a "24/7" in a sentence

start sentences with "basically"

and the worst one is people saying "innit" at end of sentence

If these annoy you as well, never watch the Jeremy Kyle show. It is a pre requisite to use these words/phrases at least 10 times each