Options

If a child asked you if God exists, what would you say?

Comments

• Options
    Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    Considering children of most ages still believe in Father Christmas, i'd say it would be unlikely that they'd enquire as to the existence of a 'god' or even be aware of the concept of religion.

Of course if their parents were atheists and never shut up about it then they might ..

What?! If they go to a church school, which I'd think was most of them, they will almost certainly have been told that god does exist and will have taken part in some form of worship of "him".

My kids have asked me a few times and I've always told them I don't believe. They do, but in much the same way they believe in Father Christmas. Trouble is, society only expects you to stop believing in one.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,286
    Forum Member
    mystery23 wrote: »
    What would you say?

Depends. Is this child related to me? a cousin, nephew? or some random kid?
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    I would say "Son, if you ever bring God to this house, you can consider yourself disinherited"
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    Considering children of most ages still believe in Father Christmas, i'd say it would be unlikely that they'd enquire as to the existence of a 'god' or even be aware of the concept of religion.

Of course if their parents were atheists and never shut up about it then they might ..

About a third of State schools in this country are faith schools and regular worship is required by statute in all the others.

It would be unlikely that a British child was not aware of the concept of religion.
  • Options
    duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »
    I would say "Son, if you ever bring God to this house, you can consider yourself disinherited"

Not open to opinions in your house then ?
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i say that different people have different gods and some, like me, have none.
  • Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    It would depend on the age / development of the child.

I'd probably explain that I don't believe in a god BUT the vast majority of people in the world do (although not all the same one and sometimes it's more than one) and it's something to think carefully about and make up your own mind.
  • Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    Simply that nobody knows or can know if there is a God (of any variety). That is, I tell them, what an agnostic believes BUT I believe in many (but not all) Christian values and I present as a non-practising Christian primarily because that is how I was brought up.

I ask them to avoid making fun of or belittling anyone's religious beliefs - or atheist beliefs - because all are as entitled to their beliefs as anyone else. But, I explain, extreme religious or atheist beliefs that are imposed on others are wrong and should be resisted.

Atheism isn't just a belief like religion, science itself supports atheism more than religion - the same science that will treat you in hospital etc. Our ancestors knew almost nothing about the Earth and its origins, so they 'invented' God and religion and I think that's very easy to see.

I'd tell a child that there may or may not be a God but that religion was very much a man-made concept.

BTW - many Christian values are atheist values too.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly what I was thinking. They'd be more likely to ask what God looked like, where he lived, why he didn't fall out of the sky, or if of above average intelligence, why he didn't get deafened or electrocuted by thunderstorms.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »

Good answer.

If I were the breeding type, I would do likewise :cool:
  • Options
    Guts and GloryGuts and Glory Posts: 1,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd ask them which god they were referring to, followed by a hearty laugh and pat on the head with a "Good heavens no". Children say the darndest things, bless.
  • Options
    fleabeefleabee Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They already do believe.
  • Options
    shaddlershaddler Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My son asked me if I believed in God. I told him no, and that it was for him to make his own mind up on the issue.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mystery23 wrote: »
    What would you say?

I would say I don't know.

Edit: If the child asked about the Christian god, I would say I don't believe he exists. If they asked why, I'd then say because there's too many contradictions in the Bible and things that couldn't have happened. I'd then also tell them that there's other religions with other gods/goddesses, so which one is the right one? If the parents weren't happy, I'd tell them that I didn't say that god didn't exist, but just that why I didn't believe he did, and also that their child asked me about it.
  • Options
    jclock66jclock66 Posts: 2,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course he doesn't, it's all nonsense.
  • Options
    Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gilbertoo wrote: »
    ... I'd try to steer clear of belittling comments like "it's a load of nonsense", "it's a fairytale!", etc.
    Especially important if they are at an age where fairytales are absolutely real because you are now also declaring those to be lies and you will spend the next six months in a state of constant apology and clearing up the shredded outfits and/or destroyed toys and you will absolutely never ever be forgiven ever I HATE YOU *stompstompstomp*slam*
    On the other hand you won't ever have to buy anything with 'disney' on it ever again!
    ... Of course if their parents were atheists and never shut up about it then they might ..
    This might of course be the best way of creating a religious zealot too - the result is that the act of total rebellion against parents is to go and join a church and do crazy things like getting up at a sensible time for morning prayers (though not the ones where it's still dark, surely no sane person does that) and do lots of churchy things like organising raffles and of course coffee mornings with a thin excuse of 'bible study'.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 355
    Forum Member
    I would say no God doesn't exist, because God doesn't exist. I don't see the point in lying to the child.
  • Options
    St. AnthonySt. Anthony Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would tell them yes, and if they don't believe I will stone them to death for blaspemy.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,927
    Forum Member
    I'd say I don't believe in God and explain how I reached that conclusion, then ask the child what he/she believes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would say no God doesn't exist, because God doesn't exist. I don't see the point in lying to the child.

I wouldn't be lying to a child because I don't know if a god exists or not. I'd be lying if I said a god didn't exist, because I don't know if that's true or not.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 355
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be lying to a child because I don't know if a god exists or not. I'd be lying if I said a god didn't exist, because I don't know if that's true or not.

I do know.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,927
    Forum Member
    barbeler wrote: »
    Exactly what I was thinking. They'd be more likely to ask what God looked like, where he lived, why he didn't fall out of the sky, or if of above average intelligence, why he didn't get deafened or electrocuted by thunderstorms.

Yes perhaps if it were a small child. I was assuming we were talking about a 10 or 11 year old child.
  • Options
    VulpesVulpes Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd tell them the truth - "I don't know, and neither does anyone else".
  • Options
    Guts and GloryGuts and Glory Posts: 1,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »

Rather than just saying "I don't know", you could answer the child in a more helpful manner, with perhaps:

"I don't know, however there is no evidence that deities or gods are real, and they all seem to reflect the cultures that invented them, which would strongly imply they are man made".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rather than just saying "I don't know", you could answer the child in a more helpful manner, with perhaps:

"I don't know, however there is no evidence that deities or gods are real, and they all seem to reflect the cultures that invented them, which would strongly imply they are man made".

No, because that comes across as trying to make the child an atheist.
This discussion has been closed.