Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 64)

Comments

• Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That annoying boring abbey rubbish needs some completion against it. Channel 5 or Channel 4 anyone?

C4 will have Homeland again, surely?
  • Options
    pdwillpdwill Posts: 245
    Forum Member
    derek500 wrote: »
    ITV have tried a couple, Great Night Out and Edge of Heaven, but with little success.

Death in Paradise would seem to be the obvious recent break-out comedy drama success...
  • Options
    dave01dave01 Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pdwill wrote: »
    New Tricks will probably be in the top 10 rated shows of the week. Not the powerhouse it was but still a questionable decision in my view to axe it given that a large number of licence fee payers seem to still enjoy it....

A bit left field, but perhaps ITV should consider picking it up. Good raw numbers, demos that are probably no worse than something like Midsomer Murders or Grantchester (with higher overnights than both I believe) and clear repeat potential on multi-channel...I'd imagine it would turn a healthy profit over time.

I don't know about ITV picking up New Tricks but I was half imagining the other day ITV could do some sort of Expendables style series/film of all their old detective shows. So David Jason (Frost), Kevin Whately (Lewis), Brenda Blethyn (Vera) and so on all uniting in one fictional universe. (Obviously would never happen though!)

There's still an outside chance of a New Tricks spin-off I suppose if this series were to look very good in the ratings. Jaycee Dove mentioned during the last series that they came very close to commissioning a Brian & Esther spin-off at one point a few years back.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A massive 152,000 tweets for #GBBO today, looks like around 100,000 tweets during the transmission window from 20:00 to 21:00.

EDIT - Peak of 3,470 tweets per minute LINK CONTAINS SPOILER - https://twitter.com/KMUKSocialTV/status/629019904532987904
  • Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see the soaps are healthier than a while back.
    C5s constant benefit progs continue to deliver.

GBBO being back and first time watcher from the start for me. I watched occasionally last year but watching tonight I can see why it's so popular. In theory it sounds dull but somehow I was glued already. And seems I'm not the only one! I will be watching weekly this year.

What do we expect tonight? It ended with a phenomenal rating last year.
  • Options
    sn_22sn_22 Posts: 6,484
    Forum Member
    Maybe not all to my taste, but bbc1 is looking like a very strong august 9pm schedule...

Sun... Partners in crime
    Mon... Sherlock repeats, (I actually really want to watch this series again)
    Tue... New tricks
    Wed... Nature after bake off(???)
    Thur... Who do you think you are
    Fri.. Ripper street

Yes, a very solid line-up that will mostly see them through August. They've also got the 3x60m nature series Big Blue Live which is due to air this month - presumably across a single week, though not sure how they'll schedule it in.

Certainly puts paid to the "no effort for Summer" argument.
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    As for what the BBC are showing we really dont know. We have New Tricks/ Ripper Street/Bake Off to run for a couple of months yet and the Sat/Sun should be as usual. I cant see them challenging DA /DM with much though. We know Cuffs will air (everyone seems to assume Wednesdays) and the 3 part And Then There Were None is supposed to air this year but maybe the Xmas 3 parter.
    Pure speculation based on a couple of mentions I have seen Dr Foster and the 3rd series of Shetland are possibilities and there are a number of one off drams but which are ready I dont know.

While you can't always trust the dates dished out in press releases, I'm pretty sure that S2 of Happy Valley, new crime drama River and the four-part From Darkness were at least initially slated for 2015 too. Indeed, I think the latter two have already wrapped filming, along with the Luther two-parter.
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,474
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great to have GBBO back. Really enjoyed it :D. Could this series rate even higher than the last? I still think it hasn't reached its peak yet

ED was great again tonight with more to come tomorrow.
  • Options
    Roscoe BarnesRoscoe Barnes Posts: 6,360
    Forum Member
    Another solid rating for Emmerdale last night. I said at the start of the week it would probably start with around 6.5m and sit around 6m for the rest of the week. They really should have saved this until September/October time as the ratings potential at this time of year is limited. Also people expecting 7m when it hasn't cleared that once this year in the overnights was a big ask.
  • Options
    Roscoe BarnesRoscoe Barnes Posts: 6,360
    Forum Member
    Further proof of Channel 5 making a complete mess with Person of Interest.

Tomorrow nights double-bill is episodes 18 & 19. Last week they showed eps 15 & 16.

After checking Channel 5's site - they have confirmed they cannot accommodate episode 17 in the current run. Is this for real?! This is absolutely ridiculous. Apparently they are hoping to show that episode later in the year. I cannot for the life of me think how this decision was reached to just skip an episode. :confused:
  • Options
    thengp12thengp12 Posts: 5,678
    Forum Member
    So 7.5 million for Bake Off anyone?
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    sn_22 wrote: »
    Yes, a very solid line-up that will mostly see them through August. They've also got the 3x60m nature series Big Blue Live which is due to air this month - presumably across a single week, though not sure how they'll schedule it in.

Certainly puts paid to the "no effort for Summer" argument.

While you can't always trust the dates dished out in press releases, I'm pretty sure that S2 of Happy Valley, new crime drama River and the four-part From Darkness were at least initially slated for 2015 too. Indeed, I think the latter two have already wrapped filming, along with the Luther two-parter.

Now you mention it I did see something about Luther so that might be a possibility. I had assumed Happy Valley was next year though, but it would boost them greatly if they did show it this autumn.
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    Further proof of Channel 5 making a complete mess with Person of Interest.

Tomorrow nights double-bill is episodes 18 & 19. Last week they showed eps 15 & 16.

After checking Channel 5's site - they have confirmed they cannot accommodate episode 17 in the current run. Is this for real?! This is absolutely ridiculous. Apparently they are hoping to show that episode later in the year. I cannot for the life of me think how this decision was reached to just skip an episode. :confused:

Because they are morons perhaps? POI is one of the few C5 shows I am interested in and I agree they treat it very poorly.
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    8-8.5m for Bake Off I think.
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Remember though that 10 matches are going to be broadcast on ITV4.

Looking at the full list of 20:00 kick offs:

Friday 18th September - England vs Fiji
    Saturday 19th September - France vs Italy
    Wednesday 23th September - France vs Romania
    Thursday 24th September - New Zealand vs Namibia
    Saturday 26th September - England vs Wales
    Thursday 1st October - France vs Canada
    Friday 2nd October - New Zealand vs Georgia
    Saturday 3rd October - England vs Australia
    Tuesday 6th October - Fiji vs Uruguay
    Wednesday 7th October - Namibia vs Georgia
    Friday 9th October - New Zealand vs Tonga
    Saturday 10th October - England vs Uruguay
    Sunday 11th October - USA vs Japan
    Saturday 17th October - Quarter Final
    Friday 30th October - Bronze Final

I think we can deduct from the above that the following will air on ITV4:

Wednesday 23th September - France vs Romania
    Thursday 24th September - New Zealand vs Namibia
    Thursday 1st October - France vs Canada
    Friday 2nd October - New Zealand vs Georgia
    Tuesday 6th October - Fiji vs Uruguay
    Wednesday 7th October - Namibia vs Georgia
    Friday 9th October - New Zealand vs Tonga

France vs Italy is a high-profile match and considering they have the Six Nations next year, it'd make no sense to move it to ITV4, whilst USA vs Japan is the last game of the group stages.

However, there are also several games scheduled for 16:45 kick-off:

Saturday 19th September - South Africa vs Japan
    Wednesday 23rd September - Australia vs Fiji
    Friday 25th September - Argentina vs Georgia
    Saturday 26th September - South Africa vs Samoa
    Sunday 27th September - Ireland vs Romania
    Tuesday 29th September - Tonga vs Namibia
    Thursday 1st October - Wales vs Fiji
    Saturday 3rd October - South Africa vs Scotland
    Sunday 4th October - Ireland vs Italy
    Tuesday 6th October - Canada vs Romania
    Wednesday 7th October - South Africa vs USA
    Saturday 10th October - Australia vs Wales
    Sunday 11th October - France vs Ireland

Weekend games will stay on ITV, as will the weekday home fixtures. Combining the above lists brings you down to...

Potential ITV4 Fixtures - RWC
    1. Wednesday 23rd September - Australia vs Fiji (16:45)
    2. Wednesday 23th September - France vs Romania (20:00)
    3. Thursday 24th September - New Zealand vs Namibia (20:00)
    4. Friday 25th September - Argentina vs Georgia (16:45)
    5. Tuesday 29th September - Tonga vs Namibia (16:45)
    6. Thursday 1st October - France vs Canada (20:00)
    7. Friday 2nd October - New Zealand vs Georgia (20:00)
    8. Tuesday 6th October - Canada vs Romania (16:45)
    9. Tuesday 6th October - Fiji vs Uruguay (20:00)
    10. Wednesday 7th October - South Africa vs USA (16:45)
    11. Wednesday 7th October - Namibia vs Georgia (20:00)
    12. Friday 9th October - New Zealand vs Tonga (20:00) - clashes with England football

I suspect Australia vs Fiji and South Africa vs USA will be the two games that air on ITV, bringing that list down the expected 10 that will air on ITV4. In terms of weekday primetime, the Rugby World Cup shouldn't have too much of an impact on the schedules.

However, the 16:45 matches could have an impact on the news bulletins. I suspect they will just air the News beforehand with Emmerdale following straight afterwards.

I had forgotten they were airing a few matches on ITV4. That'll make things a bit easier for them.

Although I think France vs Italy might end up on ITV4. It doesn't make much sense, but Keep it in The Family is 7 episodes long, which means the last episode will air on 19th September - ie. the night of France vs Italy. They couldn't shift it earlier due to the teatime match either. Looks like ITV have decided they'd rather air The X Factor that night. I suppose it makes sense from a commercial perspective but it doesn't look great. Unless KIITF shifts to Sunday for the final episode, but surely they'd have just started it a week earlier if that were the case?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :o

That is all.
  • Options
    JustChrisMJustChrisM Posts: 415
    Forum Member
    Anyone else keep refreshing for the GBBO rating? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And there you are. An average of 9.3 million!

https://twitter.com/ChrisMonk/status/629208787686150144
  • Options
    lewiep93lewiep93 Posts: 5,880
    Forum Member
    Michelle Osborn ‏@michellosborn now
    #GBBO returns with a peak audience of 10 million and 9.3 million average on @BBCOne last night! Highest launch episode to date!

Proved you wrong Cylon ;):p

That is fantastic, it will keep growing and growing this year.
  • Options
    AndrxwAndrxw Posts: 10,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow at Bake Off :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Spectacular! I thought it would get 8.5 million maximum but crikey, 9.3 million is amazing.

Must be near 45% share?
  • Options
    lewiep93lewiep93 Posts: 5,880
    Forum Member
    Overnights.tv ‏@overnightstv 1m1 minute ago
    Return of #GBBO to BBC1 at 8pm drew huge 9.3m/43% Last year’s launch figure: 7.2m/34.6% @LoveProdHouse @PaulHollywood http://www.overnights.tv

43%!!!!!! Huge share.

Overnights.tv ‏@overnightstv 6s6 seconds ago
    New doc series from @BBCScotland and @PBS, #earthsnaturalwonders, made strong start with 4.5m/23.3% http://www.overnights.tv
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Could be heading for nearly 15 million for the finale? Spectacular! :D
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow massive. Quite a phenomenon.

I don't think it means though that the finale will be much up on last year. Its grown from last years series because it finished with a high rating.
  • Options
    thengp12thengp12 Posts: 5,678
    Forum Member
    :o:o:o:o:o

OMG That is MASSIVE rating for Bake Off.

Showing BBQ Champ how it's done am I right?
  • Options
    LHolmesLHolmes Posts: 13,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fantastic for Bake Off.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Piers Morgan returns to ITV next month with a new series of Life Stories

Joanna Lumley is making a documentary for ITV about Elvis' home Graceland

- The Sun