Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 64)

Comments

• Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How low do we reckon The Wonder of Britain will be? 1.5m?

A bit of a difference from Bake Off! :p
  • Options
    Roscoe BarnesRoscoe Barnes Posts: 6,360
    Forum Member
    Absolutely huge return for GBBO. 9.3m is a great start. I actually watched it last night for the first time ever - got to be honest, don't really see what all the fuss is about. Crazy rating for a show about baking.

Good to see Emmerdale climb again and only 0.2m away from Corrie. I really hope it's done well tonight, as it absolutely deserves to - but not sure if the better weather today will have slightly hindered it's potential.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Score wrote: »

Was it promoted? I was watching Death In Paradise. :D
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Game For A Laugh burned brightly and was starting to wane before the Sunday move surely? I know I went off it. What did Aspel & Company face on Sundays? Lost some of its lustre in later years and let's not talk about that Planet Hollywood edition! Still makes me cringe.

The point remains, you could list as many shows that collapsed with a move to Sunday as you can shows that succeeded by moving there. It all depends what the competition was, Birds of a Feather was doing brilliantly in the week but was pummelled on Sunday nights in the nineties by ITV big guns. David Renwick talks about the penultimate series of One Foot In The Grave where the Beeb were thinking of moving it to another night but Renwick wanted to keep it on Sundays, and in hindsight he says they should have moved it because it was up against A Touch Of Frost and the ratings went down. There is no hard and fast rule that says a show will automatically succeed on a Sunday or Monday night.
    Problem is BBC1 think's that model is the way to go because it worked with Mrs Brown's Boys and use it for most sitcoms. Try them at a different time, see what happens. The arse backwards scheduling of Count Arthur Strong from early evening on BBC2 to late night on BBC1 show how dodgy their scheduling thinking is for comedy sometimes.

But it's worked for Count Arthur Strong, they tried it on early evening BBC2 in the same slot Miranda had because they thought it had the potential to work there, but it didn't. So rather than abandon it they looked to a less exposed slot in 10.35 on BBC1 and it worked rather well, I think it's more a BBC1 show, the ratings went up and were consistent and it's coming back. It might be at 9.30 next time too.

What else could they have done with it? They clearly thought there was something in it but it didn't work on early evening BBC2. Late on BBC2 I think it would have looked totally out of place and early evening BBC1 would have seen it totally exposed. Late night BBC1 worked for it. I don't see what the problem is.

It may not be the best scheduling to put all new sitcoms at 10.35 but given the hideous response to all new sitcoms regardless of their merits I understand exactly why BBC1 are doing it. It's not like it's midnight either, there's very little competition so they're well placed for viewers stumbling across them.
    Countdown is a boring show that used to rate well and is now a boring show that doesn't rate well. If Deal Or No Deal is long in the tooth what the hell is Countdown then? Get rid.

The difference between Deal Or No Deal and Countdown is that Deal Or No Deal is not much of a format and it lives and dies entirely on its presentation, and obviously the novelty is going to wear off. Countdown is a format that can literally run forever. It's also a totally unfair comparison to look at the ratings for Countdown from ten or fifteen years ago when it was at 4.30 and facing kids shows on two channels, plus with high rating shows either side of it, to now when it's at 2pm, its umpteenth slot in recent years, facing strong schedules from BBC1 and ITV and surrounded by a load of rubbish. The "boring" comment is entirely subjective as well.
    There have been several instances of shows that bosses think are uncool and can't stand but keep in the schedules because they rate well. Are You Being Served is one such example. Little & Large was on the verge of being axed in the nineties then it had a series that went up against ITV's flop sitcom Haggard. Little & Large got 12m opposite and got a stay of execution for a a couple of years.

But that's not the best way to make television, is it? Little and Large were rubbish, as you admit their ratings went up because ITV were even worse, but even at the age of ten I could see they were running out of ideas and the show was a mess. If a show is not achieving things artistically, especially on the BBC it doesn't matter if it's getting high ratings. Do we continue New Tricks until the very last viewer has switched off, no matter how outlandish the plots and how often the cast changes, or do we try and keep a decent standard and ensure people have fond memories of it when it finishes?
    NeilVW wrote: »
    Other rescheduling disasters include moving Clive James from Sundays to Mondays, and London's Burning from Sundays (I think) to Saturdays. Steve will correct me if I got anything wrong there. :-)

Well, the London's Burning one was indeed a mistake in that London's Burning's ratings plummeted, although the one-offs they showed in its place like Goodnight Mister Tom rated very well indeed. And Clive James' shows bounced around Saturday and Sunday in the nineties, and while the last series was indeed on a Monday, it probably would have ended anyway because it was getting a bit dull on Sundays anyway, and Clive said he'd always planned to pack it in after that series anyway.
    That's semantics Steve.

Sky Sports 5 was specifically launched as a dedicated European football channel and sold to Sky customers for that very reason. If it isn't it's because they lost a few big contracts. I saw no logic when they launched it after losing Champions League rights but luckily for them they still have La Liga.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11096/9342982/sky-sports-launches-new-channel-dedicated-to-european-football

Well, that's how they launched it but they knew full well when they launched it that they were losing the Champions League rights and BT had most of the European leagues, so they were always going to do this after the first year. I don't know what you expected them to do otherwise? I know the answer is "not launch it" but they needed to come up with some gimmick. That's why they called it Sky Sports 5 and not Sky Sports Europe.

And in any case, BT have actually launched a channel called BT Sport Europe and on Sunday they're showing a domestic U21 game! Same problem, surely.
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sad to see the D word make an unwelcome return to this thread, once more seeming to suggest BBC1 viewers are indiscriminate and just watching the channel for the sake of it, which is wrong, especially at the height of summer. The Pointless audience has gone up a bit now The Chase isn't on but only by a very small percentage and the vast majority of the Pointless audience is watching it because they want to watch Pointless. I certainly am, I don't give a toss what ITV are showing, I want to watch Pointless. And what they do in the rest of daytime is of no interest to me, because I'm at work.[/B

I never said the viewers of BBC1 are watching programmes for the sake of it, but the fact is they do gain a significant default audience over any other channel. This is most notably the older audience who are more inclined to watch BBC1 as they have the more attractive programmes. The fact 4m+ watched a rpt of Fake of Fortune? is proof of this. Nearly 4m are watching rpt's of Rip Off Britain, The Housing Enforcers etc.

Its quite noticeable than Pointless has risen over 3m (3.4m) to 27% shares now, when while TC was on it was rating around 2.6m 25%. Those viewers who are now not watching ITV have most probably turned to BBC1 for Pointless.

And I never said those who are watching Pointless originally are a default audience, you watch it because you like it, but there are those viewers who are the casual audience and who will undoubtedly choose BBC1 as the channel to watch when there is very limited on.

The flops that BBC1 get (few and far between) don't appeal to the older viewers BBC1 usually attract, and that is why they flop.
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ray Tings wrote: »
    1. LONDON NIGHT OUT (W 20:00) (ITV) 13.25m
    2. CORONATION STREET (W 19:30) (ITV) 12.0m
    3. CORONATION STREET (M 19:30) (ITV) 11.7m
    4. THE KRYPTON FACTOR (F 19:00) (ITV) 11.55m
    5. CROSSROADS (F 18:35*) (ITV) 11.25m
    6. CROSSROADS (Th 18:50*) (ITV) 11.2m
    7. CROSSROADS (W 18:35*) (ITV) 11.15m
    8. BACKS TO THE LAND (F 19:30*) (ITV) 11.05m
    9. A SOFT TOUCH (M 20:00) (ITV) 11.0m
    10. 3-2-1 (Sa 20:00) (ITV) 10.9m
    11. THE INCREDIBLE HULK (U.S.) (F 20:00) (ITV) 10.8m
    12.= DON'T ASK ME (W 19:00) (ITV) 10.75m
    12.= LEAVE IT TO CHARLIE (Th 19:15) (ITV) 10.75m
    14. CROSSROADS (Tu 18:35*) (ITV) 10.65m
    15. FILM : MIDNIGHT LACE (Repeat) (Su 20:05) (BBC1) 10.45m
    16. NINE O'CLOCK NEWS (F 21:00) (BBC1) 10.15m
    17. WHAT'S ON NEXT? (Tu 20:30) (ITV) 10.05m
    18. SURVIVAL (Tu 19:00*) (ITV) 10.0m
    19. SEASIDE SPECIAL (Sa 20:30) (BBC1) 9.85m
    20.= NINE O'CLOCK NEWS (M 21:00) (BBC1) 9.75m
    20.= KOJAK (U.S.) (Sa 21:20) (BBC1) 9.75m

*Different slot in some ITV regions

(London Night Out was an entertainment show ; Backs To The Land, A Soft Touch and Leave It To Charlie were sitcoms ; Don't Ask Me was science ; What's On Next? was a sketch show)

JICTAR RATINGS
    Source : My scrapbook (cutting from The Stage & Television Today)

Thanks for these.

Fascinating list for those like me who are old enough to have tuned in to some of those. Summer effect seen on Coronation Street which could expect five million + more regular viewers in the winter months. BBC1 in its summer hibernation it seems-aside from the news the only new programme there appears to be Seaside Special-already in its 4th season by 1978 (1979 was its final year in its original incarnation).
  • Options
    AndrxwAndrxw Posts: 10,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hoping Emmerdale increased again - but the weather was better tonight and that might've ruined it's chances a bit. The shares should be good though. Amazing episodes tonight.
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never said the viewers of BBC1 are watching programmes for the sake of it, but the fact is they do gain a significant default audience over any other channel. This is most notably the older audience who are more inclined to watch BBC1 as they have the more attractive programmes. The fact 4m+ watched a rpt of Fake of Fortune? is proof of this. Nearly 4m are watching rpt's of Rip Off Britain, The Housing Enforcers etc.

Its quite noticeable than Pointless has risen over 3m (3.4m) to 27% shares now, when while TC was on it was rating around 2.6m 25%. Those viewers who are now not watching ITV have most probably turned to BBC1 for Pointless.

And I never said those who are watching Pointless originally are a default audience, you watch it because you like it, but there are those viewers who are the casual audience and who will undoubtedly choose BBC1 as the channel to watch when there is very limited on.

The flops that BBC1 get (few and far between) don't appeal to the older viewers BBC1 usually attract, and that is why they flop.

It really isn't a fact at all, just your opinion which you then use a few ratings to justify your point, and then ignore the ones that don't, for whatever reason, this one being that it needs to appeal to elder people.

I think it's a fact (which is actually my opinion, but I'm stating it as fact, annoying isn't it?) that in this multi-channel age there is little to no default audience, and if their is it's just as likely to go to a channel that has been around for many decades like ITV.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It really isn't a fact at all, just your opinion which you then use a few ratings to justify your point, and then ignore the ones that don't, for whatever reason, this one being that it needs to appeal to elder people.

I think it's a fact (which is actually my opinion, but I'm stating it as fact, annoying isn't it?) that in this multi-channel age there is little to no default audience, and if their is it's just as likely to go to a channel that has been around for many decades like ITV.

So then why did Pointless increase when The Chase was replaced? Is that not BBC1 gaining a default audience by ITV's weakness? Even in the thread for the new 5pm gameshow on ITV, some are choosing to switch to Pointless while TC wasn't on. A suggestion they aren't usual viewers.

All the four main channels get in some form a default audience, the fact is BBC1 does benefit from the most. This is mostly down to its unique position as an advert free channel, strength as a channel, and general good-will from the public. I think viewers see it as the safest channel.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was it promoted? I was watching Death In Paradise. :D

I think ITV are trying to get rid of the remaining three episodes very quietly, no mention of another series being commissioned.Yet another triumph for ITV bringing in someone from the BBC....
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,474
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely those tuning in to find The Chase isn't on are most likely to switch to BBC One to watch another quiz show in Pointless, seeing as they're looking for their teatime quiz fix. Not a case of "The Chase isn't on so I'll switch to BBC One regardless of what is on". My nan prefers The Chase but watches Pointless when The Chase isn't on as she enjoys that too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC1 is to broadcast a special edition of Songs of Praise from the migrant camp in Calais, according to The Sun. Filming has been going on this week.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    BBC1 is to broadcast a special edition of Songs of Praise from the migrant camp in Calais, according to The Sun. Filming has been going on this week.

That is offensive because it undermines the viewpoints of the majority of its viewers. The BBC proving how left wing it is yet again.
  • Options
    radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can anyone kindly help? What figure has the Victoria Derbyshire programme plunged to?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can anyone kindly help? What figure has the Victoria Derbyshire programme plunged to?

39,000 on BBC2
  • Options
    mintbromintbro Posts: 6,733
    Forum Member
    Strictly launch show is being filmed on Wednesday 2nd September.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/showsandtours/shows/strictly_premiereshow_2sept15
  • Options
    lewiep93lewiep93 Posts: 5,880
    Forum Member
    mintbro wrote: »
    Strictly launch show is being filmed on Wednesday 2nd September.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/showsandtours/shows/strictly_premiereshow_2sept15

Probably will be shown on either the 5th or 6th of September which is line with last year's launch show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Score wrote: »

The Express TV critic gave it a very poor review this morning
  • Options
    radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    39,000 on BBC2

I think that was a good month ago. The misery has continued.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that was a good month ago. The misery has continued.

It was the last figure I could find posted on DS, seems the ratings are top secret, a bit like GMB. But then the official line is the programme's main target is on-line viewers so the ratings don't really matter, do they ? No-one has explained why this programme is so important is has to be shown on two BBC channels.
  • Options
    MarkynottsMarkynotts Posts: 5,255
    Forum Member
    It was the last figure I could find posted on DS, seems the ratings are top secret, a bit like GMB. But then the official line is the programme's main target is on-line viewers so the ratings don't really matter, do they ? No-one has explained why this programme is so important is has to be shown on two BBC channels.

I guess it saves money showing the same programme on the two channels. It would be interesting to see which budget it actually comes out of. If its the News Channel budget, then BBC Two gets a live daily show for peanuts. The problem with it isn't the show itself, which is a good idea, the problem is the presenter. She is cold and doesn't come over very well on screen - in my opinion of course. Ditching Victoria and keeping the format would be fine, perhaps with rotating presenters.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jake Kanter ‏@Jake_Kanter 2m2 minutes ago
    Ouch. Only 68,800 (0.4%) viewers for TLC’s If Katie Hopkins Ruled The World.

Ha.
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lewiep93 wrote: »

Ha.

Overnights.tv describe it as 'above benchmark'. I still think they'd have hoped for more though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Overnights.tv ‏@overnightstv 26s26 seconds ago
    #Ricochet's documentary about education experiment #Sexinclass drew 1.4m/7.3% to C4 from 9pm http://www.overnights.tv
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lewiep93 wrote: »

Ha.

Why anyone would watch this show. Why anyone would give her a show.
This discussion has been closed.