Options

Arsenal Supporters Thread (Part 16)

Comments

• Options
    ustarionustarion Posts: 20,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems Jack will be one of those players who doesn't live up to his potential. His glass ankles always hold him back.

Always seems to be fit around international matches though!
  • Options
    DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What worries me is that even when he is supposedly fit he always looks in pain every time he goes down. So many injuries for someone so young.
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    What a shame :(
    Wonder if this will force AW's hand in the market for a DM?
  • Options
    WouterWouter Posts: 2,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    What a shame :(
    Wonder if this will force AW's hand in the market for a DM?

It certainly highlights the weakness in the squad. While we have (aging) players like Arteta and Rosicky that can do a job, I'd rather go and buy someone like Carvalho who in spite of being injured himself currently would be a great addition.
  • Options
    ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    unfortunately I think it'll take an injury to Coquelin to make Wenger even think about signing another DM. Everyone but him seems to see the need, and know that Arteta or (even worse) Flamini aren't good enough.
    Don't know why we keep expecting a 66 year old stubborn man to change!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A DM really is not a priority. We won't play top class opposition every week and Arteta will have to do. Most clubs if their DM was out don't have a perfect back-up. What would Chelsea do without Matic?

The defence improved last season although still a bit too many were shipped last season. What is an absolute priority is goals and unlocking defensive teams. Reports are that Benzema has told Real Madrid he wants to leave and we are due to sign him imminently. I've heard similar rumours throughout the year and I am not holding my breath, but we have desperately lacking a top class striker since van Persie left and I think Benzema might be the answer.
  • Options
    VenetianVenetian Posts: 28,506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ustarion wrote: »
    A DM really is not a priority. We won't play top class opposition every week and Arteta will have to do. Most clubs if their DM was out don't have a perfect back-up. What would Chelsea do without Matic?

The defence improved last season although still a bit too many were shipped last season. What is an absolute priority is goals and unlocking defensive teams. Reports are that Benzema has told Real Madrid he wants to leave and we are due to sign him imminently. I've heard similar rumours throughout the year and I am not holding my breath, but we have desperately lacking a top class striker since van Persie left and I think Benzema might be the answer.

It's been reported that Benzema has an injured thigh and will be out for a month.
  • Options
    satellitesatellite Posts: 8,181
    Forum Member
    Venetian wrote: »
    It's been reported that Benzema has an injured thigh and will be out for a month.

Sounds perfect for us, sign him up. :p
  • Options
    GoodwinGoodwin Posts: 6,576
    Forum Member
    Can't say I'm that fussed about Benzema tbh. He didn't impress me during the world cup and if he's that good why would RM let him leave? £45M is way too much. That's what I have been reading, price wise. Is he really any better than Giroud?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Goodwin wrote: »
    Can't say I'm that fussed about Benzema tbh. He didn't impress me during the world cup and if he's that good why would RM let him leave? £45M is way too much. That's what I have been reading, price wise. Is he really any better than Giroud?

World Cup 2014
    Benzema
    Played: 5
    Goals: 3
    Assists: 3

Giroud
    Played: 5
    Goals: 1
    Assists: 1

Last season - 22 goals and 11 assists - only behind Messi and Ronaldo for overall goal contribution in La Liga.

I'd happily support Wenger paying £45 million for Benzema (an obscene amount of money, but in the context of top level football - justifiable).

Still think it's unlikely though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ustarion wrote: »
    I'd happily support Wenger paying £45 million for Benzema (an obscene amount of money, but in the context of top level football - justifiable).

Still think it's unlikely though.

Agree on both counts
  • Options
    Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Benzema, Sanchez and Cech - the rest of the squad can take it easy and relax :D Benzema would be an amazing buy, and excuse me, if Sterling (a man who only scored 7 goals) cost £49mio then £45mio for Benzema is an absolute steal! I doubt he will leave Real though
  • Options
    ArmiArmi Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get Benzema in and weaken man United at the same time - as Madrid use the money to take De Gea.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    15 (from 29 played) goals out of 118 in total by Real Madrid in La Liga last season. Most of those goals were when they were winning 2-0/3-0 etc. Not convinced at all. More cannon fodder teams than in the PL too.
  • Options
    TironTiron Posts: 8,080
    Forum Member
    Totally classless. I have disliked a few football managers over the year but Mourinho is at the top of my most disliked. I called him Moronic.

Hey Labbie, hope you are well. I agree with you by the way.
    satellite wrote: »
    Hi Tiron, hope you're keeping well. Back for the madness of the next season eh :)

Hi Sat! Yes, it's back. The utter madness and up and down emotions. It sure looks like it's going to be a cracking one this season. Who knows, maybe, just maybe we'll really have a good go at the title this year. But as we all know and have said, we still need one or two more additions. I'd like to believe plans are underway behind the scene and we'll soon be pleasantly surprised. Or am setting myself up for disappointment again?:D

I didn't renew my red membership this year, so mainly only the blasted BT Sports for me and whatever Sky shows. May still go to one or two games though through my sons' membership.
  • Options
    NightHawk123NightHawk123 Posts: 7,015
    Forum Member
    Not going to get ahead of myself as it's still only rumours so far but signing Benzema would strengthen our spine immensely and should make us a big favourite to win the PL and go far in the CL. Without him I don't think we have enough goals in the side to challenge as Theo is still unproven along with his injury record and Giroud usually disappoints when it matters the most.

Feeling optimistic going into the new season!
  • Options
    Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arsenal are one top striker (Benzema) and a DM away from being unstoppable in the PL, but unfortunately, Wenger is unlike to buy them, so the title race is too close to call at this stage.
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    No idea who this Twitter guy is, but he keeps retweeting stuff about Benzema (we're in advanced talks apparently):

https://twitter.com/emagiulianelli

If Sterling cost £49m then Benzema justifies cost of £45m
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Going for a comfortable 3-0 win for is today. Will be interesting to see who starts up front today.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    1-0...think it will be a tight game and a frustrating one too!
  • Options
    NightHawk123NightHawk123 Posts: 7,015
    Forum Member
    Wouter wrote: »
    Going for a comfortable 3-0 win for is today. Will be interesting to see who starts up front today.

Reckon Wenger will persist with Theo up front. If the experiment doesn't work, Giroud will stop being super-sub and be re-instated up front until Benzema is fit :p
  • Options
    DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well hopefully the early kick off won't present the same problems as last season. We should win reasonably comfortably but you never know.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DavidT wrote: »
    Well hopefully the early kick off won't present the same problems as last season. We should win reasonably comfortably but you never know.

I normally don't ever think we'll win, but I agree - I have a feeling we'll be on fire!

Let's hope that doesn't jinx us now :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tiron wrote: »
    Hey Labbie, hope you are well. I agree with you by the way.

Hi Sat! Yes, it's back. The utter madness and up and down emotions. It sure looks like it's going to be a cracking one this season. Who knows, maybe, just maybe we'll really have a good go at the title this year. But as we all know and have said, we still need one or two more additions. I'd like to believe plans are underway behind the scene and we'll soon be pleasantly surprised. Or am setting myself up for disappointment again?:D

I didn't renew my red membership this year, so mainly only the blasted BT Sports for me and whatever Sky shows. May still go to one or two games though through my sons' membership.

Same as me - I asked how near I was to being upgraded to a Silver and they said they couldn't tell me, so I just gave it up. The other members of my clan haven't renewed either, except for Mr S, who will never give up his ST, no matter how tight money is :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Giroud starts. Walcott and Sanchez on the bench. Debuchy in for Bellerin,

West Ham giving debut to a 16 year old.

Cech; Debuchy, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Monreal; Coquelin, Ramsey; Oxlade-Chamberlain, Ozil, Cazorla; Giroud.
This discussion has been closed.