Options

Schedule released for Bauer City 2 stations

Comments

• Options
    michael1152michael1152 Posts: 1,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    haha Darren- I only heard you once , you were covering the midmorning show once a few years ago for Mark Thorburn or Nick Wright and I think I actually took part in the general knowledge quiz thing he did at lunch times when you were standing in for him!
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    haha Darren- I only heard you once , you were covering the midmorning show once a few years ago for Mark Thorburn or Nick Wright and I think I actually took part in the general knowledge quiz thing he did at lunch times when you were standing in for him!

Ah thats right, i did stand in for Marky T a few times, top bloke too. I cannot for the life of me remember the quiz name though. On evenings it was Daft, Dumb and Difficult but stumped as to the title of this one.
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just come to me - Top of the Class
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's the one :)
  • Options
    tommytemprastommytempras Posts: 283
    Forum Member
    Listened to Viking 2 the first day it went on air, thought it was atrocious when compared to half decent Magic 1161, makes you wonder what idiots make appalling decisions. Thank heaven I have acquired an internet radio since then so I can listen to anything I want.
  • Options
    richie wildrichie wild Posts: 9,898
    Forum Member
    Listened to Viking 2 the first day it went on air, thought it was atrocious when compared to half decent Magic 1161, makes you wonder what idiots make appalling decisions. Thank heaven I have acquired an internet radio since then so I can listen to anything I want.

Sadly, like you, most listeners to Magic have fled... to Radio 2, Smooth, BBC Local and Internet stations like Decades. I dare say they'd have switched to Gold, but Global were too slow and didn't put it back on DAB.

It's hard to understand Bauer's logic. They changed a much loved station, the listeners voted with their feet in the most cataclysmic RAJAR in UK radio history (probably! :D), but they have changed virtually nothing, happy to sit and watch their listeners drift further and further away, it beggars belief what goes on in the minds of those who run BC2.

Repetitive playing of the same old, tired, songs is such a turn off. Nick played Culture Club's "Do You Really...?" today, has that been on EVERY day since January 5th? Most probably! Constantly repeating the new songs is grating too. I'm glad it's not just me who thinks so, as most listeners have given up. I listen to hear the presenters, not the tired music, but most people just want the music and they've gone.

I'm guessing Bauer like having destroyed the Country's best oldies station, they haven't tried to resuscitate it!

January 4th. 2015, the night the Magic literally died on radios of the North.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree too, January 4th 2015 was a really ad day. I was looking forward to hearing the new sound of the new stations- and they promos they played kept saying the name will change - but nothing else- it will be bigger and better, but now they've had appalling RAJARS and still you think they'd want to implement changes but no- I mean the bosses might wanted to see if things picked up after the dust had settled- but like the poster above me says most listeners have fled to Radio 2, and Smooth and elsewhere- so I just hope someone from BC2 is reading all this one here- or knows that it all has to be changed- I mean Ray AND Nick still sound that they are having a good time even though they had to relocate from Newcastle to Manchester to still have a job- even though they've both been cut to 3 hour shows, but they must get absolutely sick of playing the same old music- but it sounds like at least they're still allowed to chat and get listener interaction and say where they're texting from like the old Magic- and they're allowed the daft banter that used to go on at Magic. I notice on John Leslie's show and Darren Kelly's that they hardly read texts out on their shows- and sometimes it just feels like Heart- that was...this is ,,, and coming up next after the news.... kind of stuff ...

correct me if I'm wrong people?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ah the promos, I'd forgotten about them. They should've said "you love Magic, but we don't care. We're changing everything, the music you love, the show's you love, the features you love. Everything, even down to the processing!"

I notice it took for Cilla to pass away to get any real presence on The Greatest Hits, and even that was only for a week. But, hey ho, here's Ed Sheeran...
  • Options
    mjdj1689mjdj1689 Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The processing sound the same to me on dab . No difference at all .
  • Options
    Anti PlaylistAnti Playlist Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    When did 1161 fall silent? Viking 2 were on that freq for a short while but I missed the full details.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mjdj1689 wrote: »
    The processing sound the same to me on dab . No difference at all .

Not in Liverpool, it's flat as a pancake on DAB, and on AM they've, bizarrely, taken the Optimod out of line at the AM TX, and just feed the DAB signal in. The resulting sound is a dead, lifeless, lacklustre mess. 1548 used to be a big, ballsy sound, now it sounds as weak as the playlist.

I've had Gold on since 11PM, not a duff track! Such a contrast to BC2's same songs in the last 8 months.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just had a listen and it's does sound a bit of a mess ,it's the same as key 2, but the bass sounds awful.
  • Options
    stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just had a listen and it's does sound a bit of a mess ,it's the same as key 2, but the bass sounds awful.

But to be fair anything is better than crackly mw
  • Options
    david1956david1956 Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree too, January 4th 2015 was a really ad day. I was looking forward to hearing the new sound of the new stations- and they promos they played kept saying the name will change - but nothing else- it will be bigger and better, but now they've had appalling RAJARS and still you think they'd want to implement changes but no- I mean the bosses might wanted to see if things picked up after the dust had settled- but like the poster above me says most listeners have fled to Radio 2, and Smooth and elsewhere- so I just hope someone from BC2 is reading all this one here- or knows that it all has to be changed- I mean Ray AND Nick still sound that they are having a good time even though they had to relocate from Newcastle to Manchester to still have a job- even though they've both been cut to 3 hour shows, but they must get absolutely sick of playing the same old music- but it sounds like at least they're still allowed to chat and get listener interaction and say where they're texting from like the old Magic- and they're allowed the daft banter that used to go on at Magic. I notice on John Leslie's show and Darren Kelly's that they hardly read texts out on their shows- and sometimes it just feels like Heart- that was...this is ,,, and coming up next after the news.... kind of stuff ...

correct me if I'm wrong people?

I doubt if these place 2 stations even feature in Bauer's long term plans. I would not be surprised if they spend the next eighteen months running them into the ground, destroying any audience figures that they have and then either switching to DAB only or closing them down. They will leave the AM licences in such a dire state that no other group would want to take them on. Then they will roll out the London version of Magic to the local DAB multiplexes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    God I hope not.... I know BC2 is not good at the minute, but I'd rather have this than nothing on MW,,,,,,,
  • Options
    dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    david1956 wrote: »
    I doubt if these place 2 stations even feature in Bauer's long term plans. I would not be surprised if they spend the next eighteen months running them into the ground, destroying any audience figures that they have and then either switching to DAB only or closing them down. They will leave the AM licences in such a dire state that no other group would want to take them on. Then they will roll out the London version of Magic to the local DAB multiplexes.

But the London version of Magic is available on the national DAB multiplex.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's interesting to note that The Greatest Hits only plays the greatest hits when Tony and Mike are on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to say I listened to Micky Gavin's greatest Party hits last night and have to say it is a really good show.
  • Options
    wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I notice no football show on Saturday afternoons any more.
    Not in Liverpool, it's flat as a pancake on DAB, and on AM they've, bizarrely, taken the Optimod out of line at the AM TX, and just feed the DAB signal in. The resulting sound is a dead, lifeless, lacklustre mess. 1548 used to be a big, ballsy sound, now it sounds as weak as the playlist.

I like the sound of Radio Aire 2 on AM and DAB. Hallam 2 on both platforms doesn't sound as good. I wonder why Bauerr don't have a consistent sound?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wns_195 wrote: »
    I notice no football show on Saturday afternoons any more.

I like the sound of Radio Aire 2 on AM and DAB. Hallam 2 on both platforms doesn't sound as good. I wonder why Bauerr don't have a consistent sound?

Scotland still has Game on but it is no longer live commentaries it is music and goal flashes.

Maybe the sound quality depends on the number of stations squeezed on a multiplex
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The sound quality on Liverpool's a DAB is shocking. I tuned in, via Tune In, to Mike Read on Saturday. What a revelation, it was as if he sat in front of me playing records, On DAB he always sounds "mushy". Even worse, our (once great AM 1548) is now just a rebroadcast of the crap DAB feed, so sounds awful. Crap in = crap out. Dreadful! We have Pirates up here that sound better!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It I had a listen to the Liverpool version on dab , and it sounds the same as it always does , more treble , but non of them have any bass on dab .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I listened to Radio Aire 2 in my car AM radio from Wetherby nearly to Manchester and agree it did sound good. I listened on 1152 (Metro2) for the start of my journey and notice that;s always sounded quite strong since the Magic 1152 days, but then I always change to 1170 (TFM 2) and that sounds different to 1152...... has anyone else ever noticed this?
  • Options
    Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    Like Radio City 2, CityTalk also has very lacklustre sound processing, just sounds wafer thin and trebley, 1548 did used to have more "ooomph" to it, why they wouldn't leave it the way it is doesn't make sense, sounds like the optimod processing they used for the 1548 AM transmitter could have made Radio City 2 on DAB sound better anyway, so why didn't they just use that? The actual sound of a radio station should be one of the very first priorities, CityTalk despite the name does play a lot of music so why not have very good processing to enhance it, one suggestion could be for them to just copy over Radio City 96.7's processing settings which have a lot of power!
    Although giving each station as it's own on air unique sound would be even better, but they don't even let them have their own individual jingles anymore!

This just leaves Radio City 96.7 itself as the only station to have bold processing, it sounds very "loud and proud" on DAB too, shame that the programming has been so reduced, because with this sound on FM & DAB it certainly helped make it a great hit music station. I actually miss hearing Pete Price with this sort of processing giving more "oomph" to his voice, sounds very flat and lifeless on CityTalk now, particularly combining with this processing with the 64kbps Mono feed which is all it gets on DAB.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Like Radio City 2, CityTalk also has very lacklustre sound processing, just sounds wafer thin and trebley, 1548 did used to have more "ooomph" to it, why they wouldn't leave it the way it is doesn't make sense, sounds like the optimod processing they used for the 1548 AM transmitter could have made Radio City 2 on DAB sound better anyway, so why didn't they just use that? The actual sound of a radio station should be one of the very first priorities, CityTalk despite the name does play a lot of music so why not have very good processing to enhance it, one suggestion could be for them to just copy over Radio City 96.7's processing settings which have a lot of power!
    Although giving each station as it's own on air unique sound would be even better, but they don't even let them have their own individual jingles anymore!

This just leaves Radio City 96.7 itself as the only station to have bold processing, it sounds very "loud and proud" on DAB too, shame that the programming has been so reduced, because with this sound on FM & DAB it certainly helped make it a great hit music station. I actually miss hearing Pete Price with this sort of processing giving more "oomph" to his voice, sounds very flat and lifeless on CityTalk now, particularly combining with this processing with the 64kbps Mono feed which is all it gets on DAB.

Pete would definitely benefit from a tweak in the settings, be it FM or the forthcoming AM. Nowt wrong with his voice, you understand, but good processing always adds that special something. There is an Optimod at the AM site standing dormant. WTF? If they don't want it they can bring it to mine and I'll run it between my DAB and my amp! :D I can't believe Bauer actually WANT their stations to sound crap, it's beyond me.

When City 2 finally gets to 105.9 it'll sound crap next to Heart, unless someone at Bauer steps in and tarts it up. Come on Bauer, send us a decent TX engineer - our City (2) needs you! (And while he's there get him to empty the jukebox and fill it with Tony Blackburn and Mike Read's proper Greatest Hits :D)
    It I had a listen to the Liverpool version on dab , and it sounds the same as it always does , more treble , but non of them have any bass on dab .
    As a long time listener to Magic on Liverpool DAB trust me, it sounds nothing like it did on January 4th! In hifi terms it was a nightmare, but in listenability, it was perfect. Bold and brash, it was louder than Capital, and could be heard above the loudest ****hole street "musician" outside my work door. Now I'm lucky if I can hear a link, once the performers tiff up outside.

The crap DAB sound is now retransmitted on AM, bizarrely bypassing the in line Optimod. Is there something wrong with the gang at Bauer? Why would they take that out of line?

If they're going on FM they need to rethink sound quality. Why sound crap?

As Lloyd said.. (Bauer) "it's over to you" ;)