Options

LBC General Chit-Chat (Part 30)

Comments

• Options
    makeba72makeba72 Posts: 5,723
    Forum Member
    Chuck Wao wrote: »
    Whatever you've done , I've done it too (Petrie - non verbatim)

Oh god, yes! But I think it should be more like "... I've done it more/better/harder, etc etc"
    How many contributors to this thread have 'phoned LBC?
    (I know Martin has).

I have.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    'Transport yourself away with Craig Ogden and friends' - yes, to the funny farm!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Fantastic!
    Hey_Ho wrote: »
    Woah, RM, I'm impressed!

Thank you, Hey_Ho and Mike!
  • Options
    MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How many contributors to this thread have 'phoned LBC?
    (I know Martin has).

Guilty as charged !

Over the years I think I have spoken to Douglas (almost typed David!) Cameron. Anna Raeburn (got over the problem now!!!), Dennis Rookard and Adrian Love (anybody remember them?!). I think NF. J O'B, Clve Bull (when he was on 10pm-1am). Mike Dickin. My wife did one of Pete Murray's Sunday night quizzes.

I didn't mind ringing when it was London Talkback Radio as they used an 0500 number (freecall), but never called during their 0870 or 0845 days. Resumed again when they changed to 0345 (before they even announced the change on air!).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cayce wrote: »
    Really irritating, I always think the caller must be fantasizing. Especially when the lack of updating the LBC website, must be reliant on none other than. the tea-girl. :kitty:

I always think 'researcher of what?' - a radio assistant, producer, phone operator, whatever, but not researcher!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is anybody else comet spotting? The sky is fairly clear and I've seen a couple.

*going out to see the lights*
  • Options
    AKFEAKFE Posts: 6,941
    Forum Member
    I sincerely hope ratings in the 10.00-13.00 slot plummet when Galloway is on next week. Even if it makes O'Brien look good! I for one shall make a point of not having the radio on once at that time. Hopefully, he will never be asked back again.
  • Options
    redvers36redvers36 Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    coulsdon59 wrote: »
    Robbie Vincent would answer "Well its a big day for both of us then". I was reminded of this the other day when watching an old episode of 'Birds of a Feather' where Robbie played himself - the episode had the character phoning into his radio show - she said she was a first time caller and he responded with that line!

Robbie Vincent used to do an excellent show didn't he? Although it is a fair few years ago now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    djm2211 wrote: »
    Funny you mention annoying ads. I was going to start a new thread for the terrible ads they sometimes have ! Because I work from home and listen to LBC all day some of them really wind me up and then I end up mimicking it ! The one that really annoys me at the moment is that mans voice when he says "I don't really like apples but its nice to know I can eat once in a while" It really grates on me !!

I have the radio on when working too and, like you, find some adverts teeth-grindingly awful. The one I loathe at the moment - and, typically, it's on about four times an hour - is the one for Dart Charge (Dartford Crossing toll). The woman's fishwife voice and exaggerated accent in it go right through me. The moment she utters the first word, I'm on the remote like a wasp on jam. Anyway, surely everyone has got the message by now, having heard the soddin' ad a thousand times and Dart Charge having been in operation for a good nine months.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is anybody else comet spotting? The sky is fairly clear and I've seen a couple.

Just seen a bright red light. Then I realised it was a crane on a nearby building site :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow! This is my 16,000th post !
  • Options
    Hey_HoHey_Ho Posts: 2,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I call LBC quite a bit . Mostly NA . I have also spoken to
    Iain Lee
    Clive Bull
    JOB
    Bill Buckley (old Skool))
    award winning Nick Margerrison (ex-Hallam fm - my re -introduction to talk radio.)Even Tommy Boyd once .
    Now LBC is national , I listen more .
    P.s I have also called numerous other presenters. At one point I worked a. Night shift and used to kill time calling the radio. :)
    Tempted by IC's fat tax ( init,right now :) ) Been a while ..

Bill Buckley is a sweetie. I used to love it when he brought in his "high maintenance" very camp friend to co-host his programme, the guy was hilarious.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Congratulations, Martin! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member

Woh! I've got some catching up to do!
  • Options
    CayceCayce Posts: 9,845
    Forum Member
    P.Ramlee wrote: »
    'Discombobulated'

'Distillation'
  • Options
    VenetianVenetian Posts: 28,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clitheroe1 wrote: »
    Simon Caulder's travel phone in was always a good listen, I was sorry when it was dropped by LBC.

Simon is very knowledgeable about the travel industry but personally I didn't find him a good listen. It's not because he didn't know what he was talking about but he had a few favoured locations which he would push and push and push, never minding that the caller had initially enquired about going on a trip to a place which might have been several thousand miles away. He would only listen to the initial question too, you could hear the poor old caller in the background trying to butt in with a supplementary question but Simon was having none of it:D I feel Simon is best on a show generally about travel not a phone-in show answering questions about travel.

Otherwise I used to call into Mike Allen's Saturday night quiz, co-compared with the compiler Tony Ogar (sp?). Never called into Mike's Midnight Encounters though:D
  • Options
    VenetianVenetian Posts: 28,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    redvers36 wrote: »
    Robbie Vincent used to do an excellent show didn't he? Although it is a fair few years ago now.

Yes Robbie was great. One of my top four, I know this perhaps should be a top three but I just cannot eliminate one from the four. My bottom three changes every week, the top four is a constant:)
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AKFE wrote: »
    I have the radio on when working too and, like you, find some adverts teeth-grindingly awful. The one I loathe at the moment - and, typically, it's on about four times an hour - is the one for Dart Charge (Dartford Crossing toll). The woman's fishwife voice and exaggerated accent in it go right through me. The moment she utters the first word, I'm on the remote like a wasp on jam. Anyway, surely everyone has got the message by now, having heard the soddin' ad a thousand times and Dart Charge having been in operation for a good nine months.

Well, what about the one they've just resurrected about the dozy cow who needs spectacles for every house she visits as she obviously cant carry them with her.
  • Options
    Chuck WaoChuck Wao Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    makeba72 wrote: »
    Oh god, yes! But I think it should be more like "... I've done it more/better/harder, etc etc"

I have.

Re Petrie - true enough

Re calling LBC : when i was about 17 once called up on one those midnight quizzes and won :) : prize being a spot on Steve Jones lunchtime quiz down at the old studio off Fleet St (which i lost :( )
  • Options
    miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Well, what about the one they've just resurrected about the dozy cow who needs spectacles for every house she visits as she obviously cant carry them with her.

The Michelin tyres ad with the opera singer with a frog in her throat, always sounds louder than the other ads so I have to turn the radio down!
  • Options
    P.RamleeP.Ramlee Posts: 690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As it is 'A' Level results day today, I wonder if we will be hearing from Petrie Hoskens about how well her son has performed in his AS exams?

She was certainly banging on about it last Sunday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Congratulations, Martin! :)

You are way ahead of me, and you started after me! You must be a 'DS-tart' :D:D:D (unlike myself - is there a male equivalent?)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You are way ahead of me, and you started after me! You must be a 'DS-tart' :D:D:D (unlike myself - is there a male equivalent?)

Yes, I'm a self-confessed tart on DS, Twitter and Facebook!

Hmmm, looking up a similar word for a man, I came across the name 'fancypants'!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    J O'B's 9-year-old daughter rang up to Mystery Hour with a question ! - aaah :)
  • Options
    clitheroe1clitheroe1 Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Venetian wrote: »
    Simon is very knowledgeable about the travel industry but personally I didn't find him a good listen. It's not because he didn't know what he was talking about but he had a few favoured locations which he would push and push and push, never minding that the caller had initially enquired about going on a trip to a place which might have been several thousand miles away. He would only listen to the initial question too, you could hear the poor old caller in the background trying to butt in with a supplementary question but Simon was having none of it:D I feel Simon is best on a show generally about travel not a phone-in show answering questions about travel.

Otherwise I used to call into Mike Allen's Saturday night quiz, co-compared with the compiler Tony Ogar (sp?). Never called into Mike's Midnight Encounters though:D

I think his name was Tony Augarde and he did an excellent quiz with sticky pinkies and word based questions. I particularly remember it when Bob Harris, and not Mike Allen, hosted nightlife because I phoned in and won! I still have my prize, a signed copy of Mr Augarde's book on words.
This discussion has been closed.