Options

Anyone else unimpressed with the CGI in Jurassic World?

Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
Forum Member
✭✭
I must say I was never a big fan of the original Jurassic film. Nor the sequels.

And I'm not a big fan of CGI anyway. I like to avoid it. Particularly when it's done on the cheap. Looks awful.

But I got hold of a copy of Jurassic World and I thought I'd give it a go. Like I say I'm not a fan of CGI, but with the amount of dollars pumped into this film, my expectations were high.

I thought maybe the dinosaurs would be so realistic, but I actually didn't. I was shocked how limited their real movement was and they did look just like CGI dinos.:o

You'd think in 2015 this CGI lark would be really advanced. Like, you literally cannot tell what is real and what is not. But, no.

Anyone else unimpressed? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 302
    Forum Member
    I must say I was never a big fan of the original Jurassic film. Nor the sequels.

And I'm not a big fan of CGI anyway. I like to avoid it. Particularly when it's done on the cheap. Looks awful.

But I got hold of a copy of Jurassic World and I thought I'd give it a go. Like I say I'm not a fan of CGI, but with the amount of dollars pumped into this film, my expectations were high.

I thought maybe the dinosaurs would be so realistic, but I actually didn't. I was shocked how limited their real movement was and they did look just like CGI dinos.:o

You'd think in 2015 this CGI lark would be really advanced. Like, you literally cannot tell what is real and what is not. But, no.

I'm not a big fan of CGI either, but I wouldn't say that Jurrasic World's CGI was particularly bad; perhaps it looks better on the big screen.
  • Options
    BBTweetsBBTweets Posts: 12,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was much more impressed with the first Jurassic Park than I was with Jurassic World. You'd think with the advanced technology in CGI that they could have made it more realistic. It was a bit like watching those CGI Andrex puppies. I liked the movie though.
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was pretty good actually , but there have been a lot of recent movies with bad FX , even the big blockbusters like The Hobbit have a lot of ropey stuff in them
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not that it was bad, it just wasn't great. Sometimes I felt as if the dinos were just thin layers.

Not that they were actually solid objects. I also thought the dino colors were a bit bland. All one shade...instead of trying to create a dino that had varying shades...

One does really expect flawless CGI for one's millions of dollars these days. :D
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CGI is great but when it's mixed in with real people that's where you start to see the cracks. Spielberg used real Jeeps and maybe scale models in that T-Rex scene in the original that's why it still stands out so well after all these years I think, that's the school of classic film making for you there.

When you first see the giant herbivores I thought they were pretty bad, just can't get the lighting right. Transformers I thought managed to mix the two amazingly even though the films weren't that great.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stvn758 wrote: »
    CGI is great but when it's mixed in with real people that's where you start to see the cracks. Spielberg used real Jeeps and maybe scale models in that T-Rex scene in the original that's why it still stands out so well after all these years I think, that's the school of classic film making for you there.

When you first see the giant herbivores I thought they were pretty bad, just can't get the lighting right. Transformers I thought managed to mix the two amazingly even though the films weren't that great.

I also found the fight scenes at the end of the film unrealistic. I know we're dealing with extinct beasts here but still their body movement seemed unnaturally fast and yet limited in other areas. The humans diving in and out of the fight was also unnatural and hard to focus on.
  • Options
    ScousingScowlerScousingScowler Posts: 934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The CGI in Jurassic Park remains some of the best I have ever seen and that is over a decade old. It has just the right amount, unlike newer movies where they go over the top to the point the movie begins to look like a video game.
  • Options
    AsarualimAsarualim Posts: 3,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me there didn't seem to be much of an improvemnt of the CGI in this movie compared to the first one. Perhaps that's testament to how good the first one was, it really was quite groundbreaking at the time, but I did expect more. Perhaps I wouldnt have noticed it so much if the new movie actually had an original story though, rather than just yet another repeat of the first.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Asarualim wrote: »
    For me there didn't seem to be much of an improvemnt of the CGI in this movie compared to the first one. Perhaps that's testament to how good the first one was, it really was quite groundbreaking at the time, but I did expect more. Perhaps I wouldnt have noticed it so much if the new movie actually had an original story though, rather than just yet another repeat of the first.
    The CGI in Jurassic Park remains some of the best I have ever seen and that is over a decade old. It has just the right amount, unlike newer movies where they go over the top to the point the movie begins to look like a video game.

So we can safely say CGI has a long way to go. ;)
  • Options
    RocketpopRocketpop Posts: 1,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought maybe the dinosaurs would be so realistic, but I actually didn't.

And you've seen lots of real dinosaurs around for comparison to check how realistic they were?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rocketpop wrote: »
    And you've seen lots of real dinosaurs around for comparison to check how realistic they were?

No. And that's the point. Why do they have to be all one color?

Why aren't some red, brown - even white!!

A lack of imagination I feel.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    delete
  • Options
    AsarualimAsarualim Posts: 3,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So we can safely say CGI has a long way to go. ;)

You could say that, but I'd say if they can come up with an original story, something a bit more than "theme park opens with dinosaurs in it, dinosaurs escape, dinosaurs eat people, someone saves the day" then perhaps I'll not care so much about the quality of the CGI. :)
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

in the movie the Indomitas could actually change color !
  • Options
    Ben_CaesarBen_Caesar Posts: 307
    Forum Member
    I thought it was fairly seamless tbh, though I'm sure I'd notice the 'flaws' on a repeated viewing. Not that I'm planning on watching it again of course, it was such a mediocre movie.
  • Options
    mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The raptors were different colours, the main one had blue streaks down its skin.
    If you watch a copy of a special effect driven movie then of course its not going to look good. It considerably diminishes the quality, impact, colour, movement etc.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt there is a decent "copy" of JW floating around at the moment to judge any aspect of it's visual effects.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stvn758 wrote: »

One thing worth noting is that you know the famous scene which shows a pair of velociraptors hunting the two kids out in the kitchen? Well people may be surprised at how little of that was done with CGI. Most of it was done with models of body parts and a man in a dinosaur costume (Really, I'm not joking, a man in a dinosaur costume).

This will probably be the case with much of the film. We see some great CGI in a handful of wonderful set pieces, then in other scenes which employ practical effects our minds fill in the blanks and jump to the conclusion that those scenes are CGI too.
    The same is true of Terminator 2.
  • Options
    AlmightyDinoAlmightyDino Posts: 213
    Forum Member
    There was something certainly fake and phony feeling about it. But I guess because I know it isn't real and just CGI.
  • Options
    naquadanaquada Posts: 1,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Don't watch a pirated copy of a movie, then complain about the quality. That's just dumb. It could easily be a pre-release dvd that has been copied, so not the final release.
  • Options
    bass55bass55 Posts: 18,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's because the whole movie has that nasty orange and teal colour grading Holywood is so fond of lately; it makes the colours looks unnatural and therefore the CGI sticks out like a sore thumb. The CGI in Jurassic Park was also used a last resort, whereas JW was flooded with CGI in every scene.
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    bass55 wrote: »
    The CGI in Jurassic Park was also used a last resort, whereas JW was flooded with CGI in every scene.
    Actually I felt they did a rather good job of not resorting to that. Granted it was nowhere as reserved as Jurassic Park was back in the day, but if you want CGI flooding you look to Transformers, or Avengers or something. Jurassic World has far less by comparison.

On the subject, the CGI in Jurassic World doesn't stand out as impressive like it once did... but it was good enough. I was more bothered by the movement of some of the dinosaurs... the herbivores seemed to gallop in a very weird way at one point. I say this as someone totally not bothered by the whole feathers/no feathers debate - it just looked a little off.

On the more positive side, the final confrontation was simply stunning. It wasn't CGI to the extreme but was fantastically done. The T-Rex and the I-Rex were brilliant, the raptor good enough. What I found overly impressive was the scene from where Blue shows up and distracts the I-Rex from killing the T-Rex, all the way through to the Mosasaur appearance - all one camera shot! All that CGI and damage, along with four actors thrown into the mix... and it was all done in one shot (or was superbly edited to look like one!). It wasn't about the CGI at this point, everything contributed and came together brilliantly. I loved it :)