Options

The Leona Lewis Appreciation Thread (Part 60)

Comments

• Options
    SoeplepelSoeplepel Posts: 24,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank You is a beautiful track but not single worthy. I mean, HEYA isn't single worthy either, doesn't go anywhere yet is so beautiful.
  • Options
    EnvoirmentEnvoirment Posts: 9,486
    Forum Member
    "I Got You" for the next single then please! *_*
  • Options
    StubeStube Posts: 16,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dave0893 wrote: »
    From PJ, the poster went to the listening party.

Very interesting read. I did have a feeling at the back of my mind that YKMW could be a disappointment since Diane Warren's style is a bit dated these days but considering it was written especially for Leona, I thought it'd meet expectations. I guess we will have to see on this one.

I'm loving the comments about 'Power', 'I Got You' and 'Ladders'. Also love the comments from the VP of Def Jam saying how happy they are that Leona is on their label "at last". Surely that means they've been eyeing her up for a couple of years now. :D Hopefully that means her future is safe at Def Jam regardless of major chart success.
  • Options
    spaceoddityspaceoddity Posts: 4,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stube wrote: »
    Very interesting read. I did have a feeling at the back of my mind that YKMW could be a disappointment since Diane Warren's style is a bit dated these days but considering it was written especially for Leona, I thought it'd meet expectations. I guess we will have to see on this one.

I'm loving the comments about 'Power', 'I Got You' and 'Ladders'.

Yeah I've always thought YKMW could go two ways, either something really contemporary like Only Love Can Hurt Like This or a Disney ballad.

Glad to see they recognised the praise for ALS, hopefully that means it could be a single next year, especially if IGY is being lined up for 3rd! :D Nice to see Ladders praise to. If IGY, Ladders and ALS get single treatment it'll be the best era yet :cool:
  • Options
    pokerfaceLelepokerfaceLele Posts: 1,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't seem like you knew me when will be a traditional powerballad in the veins of broken or run with a superhuge climax. Or maybe the reviewers did not pay attention to such details
  • Options
    pespes Posts: 2,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great review CaliforniaKing!

out of interest though and if you're allowed to tell. What songs did you hear that didn't make the cut and do you think they should have been on it? I know they were probably demos though
    I can't really say what the songs were, but I can say they were a very different vibe-- much dancier/electronic. This is probably a safer route for her.

:(:( Give me dance Leona Glassheart,Burn,outta my head >>>>>
  • Options
    StubeStube Posts: 16,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pes wrote: »
    :(:( Give me dance Leona Glassheart,Burn,outta my head >>>>>

Not too sad about that. Leona releasing a purely dance/electronic album would be seen as selling out and wouldn't fit with the whole "birth of Leona the artist" idea. It'd instead be seen as a cynical record company trying to get quick hits and chart records.
  • Options
    Krusty111Krusty111 Posts: 961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not too sad about that. Leona releasing a purely dance/electronic album would be seen as selling out and wouldn't fit with the whole "birth of Leona the artist" idea. It'd instead be seen as a cynical record company trying to get quick hits and chart records.

I agree, also I believe Leona needed to make this album to show the world she has become empowered and removed herself completely from Syco. I think the next album will more commercial-orientated (dance/electronic sound), especially if IGY or ALS is released and are hits.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having heard the official studio version of Ladders, I think it definitely needs to be single. I suck at labeling a specific genre to a song but that person really is on spot saying it's disco-ish and fun. Especially with the "pew pew" sound at the very beginning (sounds like a star wars weapon lol).

The ending is amazing as well after the bridge, lovely adlibs
  • Options
    Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Soeplepel wrote: »
    Having heard the official studio version of Ladders, I think it definitely needs to be single. I suck at labeling a specific genre to a song but that person really is on spot saying it's disco-ish and fun. Especially with the "pew pew" sound at the very beginning (sounds like a star wars weapon lol).

You are so damn lucky!! :p:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well apparently Leona best tracks from this album (IGY,Ladders,ALS,catch me when I fall) and the last album (GH,Come alive) are actually dance oriented so...
    An ideal album for me would be Leona upbeat stuff and a few strong ballads (with a climax like RUN,the underratedSCYHO ,Broken).
    I did not have heard I am album...but if they decided to push an upbeat song for November/december (realising people prefer these tracks that should have been released during summer) would just be weird and off timing especially if Adele comeback will push ballad type songs..I hope there is a strong ballad otherwise all these AC kind of pushing will be waisted (at least in uk)...I reckon Thunder will have its peak in october..then they will start pushing another single in November with a peak in January (so an upbeat song would be ok)..I just think timing is essential
  • Options
    spaceoddityspaceoddity Posts: 4,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leona's so versatile I'm not sure what I'd want her to do next. On one hand I'd love to see her embrace more R&B, Urban-Pop stuff but alternatively I'd really be interested in her doing something more Electronic. Electronic music comes on a massive spectrum and it wouldn't be selling out if she found a good producer, the Swedes are great at that.

Then again I also want her to reunite with Ryan Tedder so my tastes are all over the place :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My ideal album would be an album full of strong and soft ballads simply because her voice makes me so weak. Not sure how it would do nowadays though.

I wouldn't want an album full of GH's, Come Alive's, .. 2/3 I can take
  • Options
    Eliott1301Eliott1301 Posts: 2,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why am I see Little mix on loads of stuff in America and Leona on nothing? They really are doing well and they are with SIMON. What's going on here ha
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 329
    Forum Member
    Envoirment wrote: »
    "I Got You" for the next single then please! *_*

Oh I second that!!! And Power please at some point!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eliott1301 wrote: »
    Why am I see Little mix on loads of stuff in America and Leona on nothing? They really are doing well and they are with SIMON. What's going on here ha

Because they have been 4 weeks at number one in uk so they try to capitalise this success in USA too..who would not
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pes wrote: »
    Because they have been 4 weeks at number one in uk so they try to capitalize this success in USA too..who would not

Yeah, I don't think Syco would bother if it didn't chart in top5. It's good they're doing both UK and Us with Leona :)
  • Options
    Regina_PhalangeRegina_Phalange Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Pew pew http://38.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0lms5qKbO1r1n4hto1_250.gif :D:p

Little Mix sent their song to mainstream radio as well. They are #26, and have gotten some traction. And they had Teen Choice stuff, so it was worth working with and around that. I am sure when they send Thunder, we will get the same. Def Jam seem to have the longer approach with securing an AC base first.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone else not that impressed and a little saddened about that Pj guy saying this album won't make Leona any new fans? As this is exactly WHAT she needs to make sure she doesn't get dropped next year?

Sorry I sound a little negative but it's post like that which make me worried
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone else not that impressed and a little saddened about that Pj guy saying this album won't make Leona any new fans? As this is exactly WHAT she needs to make sure she doesn't get dropped next year?

I doubt she'll get dropped anytime soon. This album is mainly all Leona. She invested in it and she wanted to bring the message about her situation. DJ supported her in this. Im pretty sure for her next record DJ is gonna finance it with lots of writers, producers and maybe high profile collabs. I really wouldn't worry about this. They see her as an artist and not a commerical selling machine
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hahah :D It's more of "pewww" sound.. idk, Im bad at explaining haha :D You'll notice it though, I immediately thought of a 'space game'
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt she'll get dropped anytime soon. This album is mainly all Leona. She invested in it and she wanted to bring the message about her situation. DJ supported her in this. Im pretty sure for her next record DJ is gonna finance it with lots of writers, producers and maybe high profile collabs. I really wouldn't worry about this. They see her as an artist and not a commerical selling machine

I have my doubts about what you are saying. Just because I think radio will soon get sick of her if she never gives them song s they want to actually play and so won't play her next album. But hey I just worry. I hope that's true though as I think that'll help but I still wish this album would make her money first and give her enough fans to tour. As right now I don't think she would fill up enough venues even in the UK. THIS album needs to be a hit IMO. Or I believe the same thing will happen to Leona like it did to Nicole Schzeringer and Alexandra Burke if I am honest. And from what we've heard its miles better then what they produced so she needs to success with it :/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have my doubts about what you are saying. Just because I think radio will soon get sick of her if she never gives them song s they want to actually play and so won't play her next album. But hey I just worry. I hope that's true though as I think that'll help but I still wish this album would make her money first and give her enough fans to tour. As right now I don't think she would fill up enough venues even in the UK. THIS album needs to be a hit IMO. Or I believe the same thing will happen to Leona like it did to Nicole Schzeringer and Alexandra Burke if I am honest. And from what we've heard its miles better then what they produced so she needs to success with it :/

Tbh, both DJ and Island knew what they got in when Leona signed the contract. They knew she hadn't had a hit in years (exluded OMS) and didn't bring in a lot of money for Syco the last couple of years, yet they still offered her a 4 album contract. I know this contract doesn't mean anything because they can still drop her after 1 album, but it does mean something considering she wasn't an A list artist when she was reaching out for new label.

They're doing their best to establish her career in the US and revive in the UK and Europe. I doubt they'd do such an effort to simply drop her after 1 album. I'm 100% they aren't expecting millions of sales.

And actually Leona recorded lots of good stuff before signing a contract. She simply called Toby Gad which is an high demanded producer/writer atm and they wrote songs that had no intention to be on an album. (she was leaving Syco and had no label yet)

I think with Leona's personality and talent, lots of people want to work with her. Even if she has no label she'd make it happen
  • Options
    Regina_PhalangeRegina_Phalange Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Don't worry about Leona getting dropped, so won't be. She is someone they clearly wanted and they know their situation and know their expectations. they aren't new to the game. Also, Leona is an inexpensive artist for them in relative terms. She had the album pretty much already. They didn't need to pay for writers and producers. I remember reading about a Rihanna's album. They spent something like 250k a day on a writers camp, with no guarantee that any of the songs that came out of it would even get on the album let alone be a hit. Leona's talent and collaboration with Toby Gad means there is none of the risk with that.
  • Options
    Krusty111Krusty111 Posts: 961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here's the Ladder lyrics in full
    Down here in the trenches,
    I know what I'm fighting for.
    Come back to my senses,
    I'm ready for something more.
    I can face all of my mistakes,
    I'll be brave.
    It's ok, finally I'm away,
    I'm away.

I fall back down but I'm looking up,
    Each heartbreak's, step up the ladder.
    You're meant to lift me up, me up,
    Higher, higher.

No glory in silence,
    I'm trying to live out loud.
    Rise up though I'm crying,
    I'm free, let the fear run out.
    I can face all of my mistakes,
    I'll be brave, oh.
    It's ok, finally I'm away,
    I'm away.

Each heartbreak, step up the ladder.
    You're meant to lift me up, me up, higher.
    Each heartbreak's, step up the ladder.
    You're meant to lift me up, me up,
    Higher, higher, higher.

Wherever you take me,
    You will not break me,
    Finally I'm where I belong,
    Wherever you take me,
    You will not fade me,
    Finally I am not alone.

You're there to lift me up, me up,
    Higher.