Options

Windows 10

Comments

• Options
    SuperwombleSuperwomble Posts: 4,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    i never accepted the reservation, the only thing i clicked on is the more info or something like that. I never clicked on Reserve
    I was looking on the net earlier and I saw that somewhere that a couple of people had the same thing, i can not find it again now.
    i was going to unhide the update and allow it to install GWX again, so I could see the status, it would say if 10 was reserved or not, but i do not want to go through that again.

I did not reserve, what is the point in reserving something I do not want?

I had similar. I did want Windows 10 and had reserved but wanted to defer the installation until I had the time to prepare, backup and so on. So I clicked close on the install and a few minutes later got a Windows update notification for an 'Important update to Windows 7'. Thinking that it was a security update, same box, same layout - I clicked on install. Without any further prompts, it began installing Windows 10.

(Edit: Ironically, I have a netbook that I also wanted to update to 10. I would have been happy if that had been upgraded first, just to see how well it went. However, that is still sitting online, all fired up, and has been for 2 weeks, without a snifter of an upgrade.)
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had similar. I did want Windows 10 and had reserved but wanted to defer the installation until I had the time to prepare, backup and so on. So I clicked close on the install and a few minutes later got a Windows update notification for an 'Important update to Windows 7'. Thinking that it was a security update, same box, same layout - I clicked on install. Without any further prompts, it began installing Windows 10.

I wonder how many people will be caught out.
    (Edit: Ironically, I have a netbook that I also wanted to update to 10. I would have been happy if that had been upgraded first, just to see how well it went. However, that is still sitting online, all fired up, and has been for 2 weeks, without a snifter of an upgrade.)

You can do it manually you know.
  • Options
    SuperwombleSuperwomble Posts: 4,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You can do it manually you know.

Yes I know, and will if it goes on for a lot longer. But the netbook isnt particularly important for me (which is why I didnt mind it being upgraded first) so I dont mind waiting for a while.
  • Options
    WhatJoeThinksWhatJoeThinks Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kromm wrote: »
    to be fair (even though I hate Edge from my use of it) the point is that it complies mostly with the SAME standards as IE, not "different" ones. but it uses new more efficient code to do so.

the filp side is that it wasn't even CLOSE to ready for release--and the soonest it may be is October (but more likely next year)

Yes, that's what I meant.
  • Options
    WhatJoeThinksWhatJoeThinks Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    call100 wrote: »
    They read your subconscious and knew that, deep down, you really did. It was easy for them as they know everything about you and all your deep intimate desires......:o

:D...
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    i never accepted the reservation, the only thing i clicked on is the more info or something like that. I never clicked on Reserve
    I was looking on the net earlier and I saw that somewhere that a couple of people had the same thing, i can not find it again now.
    i was going to unhide the update and allow it to install GWX again, so I could see the status, it would say if 10 was reserved or not, but i do not want to go through that again.

You must have, or someone else did. It is the only way it could have been downloaded.
    I did not reserve, what is the point in reserving something I do not want?

Now there's a surprise! How did i know you would be the only one who doesn't want it and would be the only one making a big deal about it!!

Can't wait till the new version of Android comes out to see your whinings about that :D
  • Options
    oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Can't wait till the new version of Android comes out to see your whinings about that :D

Kind of off topic, but given the relatively closed nature of android, if something goes wrong it is hard to find a way round it, unlike windows where alternative solutions are often possible

Rolling back in Android is not something most users can do, unlike windows as well.

To date, I have always used android on my phone, but would have considered a W10 phone now, provided it is was not hamstrung from using desktop apps even if it only uses tablet mode (not up to date with latest MS intent but that is probably not going to happen).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I know, and will if it goes on for a lot longer. But the netbook isnt particularly important for me (which is why I didnt mind it being upgraded first) so I dont mind waiting for a while.

Ah, i see
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You must have, or someone else did. It is the only way it could have been downloaded.

No and no.
    I know what I clicked on and what I did not click on and no one else uses this computer. I have seen in other forums other people getting the download and did not register.

It could have been because I was on the insider program and have gone back to 8.1, but that really should not make a difference.

Now there's a surprise! How did i know you would be the only one who doesn't want it and would be the only one making a big deal about it!!

So I am the only person who do not want it? Look on these forums and elsewhere on the net. I also know a couple of people at who do not want it, for one reason or another.
    ]
    Maybe I should have said I do not want it at the moment, My computer is working fine, set up the way I want it set up, so why upset it? Also I will wait and see if MS changes their EULA to something that don't involve them wanting to take over my computer.

I still do not like Android 5 that much, but I have got used to it and just to make you happy, the new android will not be available for my phone or tablet, so good news all around.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member

Yes, the reserve is the only way is gets pushed for download, it does not force itself, end of.

Oh come on everyone loves Marshmallows, nothing not to like, hilarious!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oilman wrote: »
    Kind of off topic, but given the relatively closed nature of android, if something goes wrong it is hard to find a way round it, unlike windows where alternative solutions are often possible

Rolling back in Android is not something most users can do, unlike windows as well.

To date, I have always used android on my phone, but would have considered a W10 phone now, provided it is was not hamstrung from using desktop apps even if it only uses tablet mode (not up to date with latest MS intent but that is probably not going to happen).

I did take a look at a windows phone, but it did not do anything for me, reminded me of the start screen on Windows 8..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did take a look at a windows phone, but it did not do anything for me, reminded me of the start screen on Windows 8..

Are there any 10 phones out yet?
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No, Windows 10 Mobile is still not released, but quite a few people are running the Preview.

http://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-mobile
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No not ten, one of the older Windows phones, but the UI is more or less the same by what I can see, a screen of tiles. It is ok for someone who wants a simple phone to use.

$Windows.~BT folder is back, it have another folder in called sources and inside that is a file called setuphost.exe and a folder called panther.
    Getting annoying now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No not ten, one of the older Windows phones, but the UI is more or less the same by what I can see, a screen of tiles. It is ok for someone who wants a simple phone to use.

Windows 10 phones may be demoed around October, but nothing concrete I have heard or seen so far and couldn't tell you more than that even if I knew.
    Still it runs well on previous ones and we have tested plenty.
    There are big differences between the versions, much like the OS.
    Although a small market, the people who use windows phones are really positive about the interface and the apps we write for them and are enjoying the new options we can 'in preview' throw at them soon. They are liking now the expansion of the MS ecosystem and the collaboration toolset and also the links into other ecosystems.
    It may be a small market (it is for us in app dev), but MS are making it easier now for these apps to mature and work and port and whatever to windows 8 through 10 in all forms.
    Must admit though, we are still getting a push off from many of our clients for apps on windows 10, but that is slowly looking to change and I expect early next year I will say you may well see a lot more. It is really not in many current plans at the moment (market dictates and all that) and iOS9, OSX and Lollipop (well some thoughts on the Marshmallow) are any app developers future focus and their client at this time. There are of course all the smart tv/box system apps too, that are currently a growing and fast moving target.

PS: I'm not fan of windows phone mind, so don't get the wrong stick, compared to Android and iOS for me its too left field. As for the latter for me they are pretty much hardware and software on a par now to make no difference.
    Convincing the public towards MS new strategy will be hard and we are still seeing it now, with their first big big push to their new Satya world, its going to be a long hard journey for MS.
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    $Windows.~BT folder is back, it have another folder in called sources and inside that is a file called setuphost.exe and a folder called panther.
    Getting annoying now.
    Why not just give up now and upgrade anyway? Deep down, you know who is going to win in the end.
  • Options
    call100call100 Posts: 7,279
    Forum Member
    Having moved from iPhone to Android and now to Windows phone, I can honestly say that the WP gives a far better experience. It also looks much better than the boring layouts of IOS and Android.
    The App situation should improve massively when W10 mobile is rolled out and Devs will have a simple method of making their apps compatible.
    That said, I've never not found an app that I need.
    When it comes to replacement time, I'll look around and if there's an android that takes my fancy, I'd consider it, but, at the moment, I'm fine with my Windows set up thanks.

To bring the thread back on track..............It works well with my W10 PC's as well...:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Getting annoying now.

This probably confirms your privacy concerns. MS must have read some of your posts - they are out to get you :-).
  • Options
    KrommKromm Posts: 6,180
    Forum Member
    People are acting cocksure they didn't, but really all you had to do to "accept" was navigate to the end of those information dialogues. The last thing it says is "your reservation is confirmed" and I bet people just didn't read that.

There was a way to CANCEL the reservation after that, but if people weren't paying attention and thought they were just reading some kind of "about" or "info" screen, of course they didn't cancel.

Ultimately it comes down to accurately reading what was presented. Knowing human nature I really feel people just zoned out reading those screens and didn't really register in their minds that this "info screen" WAS the reservation.

Ideally MS should have had some kind of "Are You Sure Y/N" screen and didn't. So we can knock them there. But the screens DID accurately say what was happening if you read the actual text (and that you COULD cancel).
  • Options
    deans6571deans6571 Posts: 6,137
    Forum Member
    My Windows 10 install went smoothly 2 weeks ago just before I went on holiday!

I have noticed though that every time the laptop boots up, it throws up a window which says something like, "System needs to reboot - ensure all drivers are installed" ALL drivers are indeed already installed and no matter how many times I reboot, it still throws up this message?! :confused:

All I can do to get rid of the message is click "OK" (which doesn't actually cause the laptop to reboot) or just press the 'x' button at the top right of the window, to get rid of it.

This happens for all 3 user profiles which the laptop has (mine, wife's & kids).

Apart from this message, everything else appears to be working 100% fine.

Any ideas?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deans6571 wrote: »
    My Windows 10 install went smoothly 2 weeks ago just before I went on holiday!

I have noticed though that every time the laptop boots up, it throws up a window which says something like, "System needs to reboot - ensure all drivers are installed" ALL drivers are indeed already installed and no matter how many times I reboot, it still throws up this message?! :confused:

All I can do to get rid of the message is click "OK" (which doesn't actually cause the laptop to reboot) or just press the 'x' button at the top right of the window, to get rid of it.

This happens for all 3 user profiles which the laptop has (mine, wife's & kids).

Apart from this message, everything else appears to be working 100% fine.

Any ideas?

Have a look under device manager - there might be a driver not set up that is not really that important. If you see any with a yellow symbol, try updating driver. If that does not work, try to disable driver and reenable.
  • Options
    deans6571deans6571 Posts: 6,137
    Forum Member
    Have a look under device manager - there might be a driver not set up that is not really that important. If you see any with a yellow symbol, try updating driver. If that does not work, try to disable driver and reenable.

...thanks for that, will give it a go - appreciated.
    :)
  • Options
    Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Going to ccl tomorrow to get win 10. Got so sick of vista taking an absolute age to load up even then I get the not responding when opening something and screen goes white.
  • Options
    MaccaMacca Posts: 18,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For those on the insider program there is a new build out (th2 10525).
    Not sure of all the changes but one of them is that you can get rid of the awful stark white colour of the open apps & browsers without having to download the modified theme.
    It is now in the settings-personalization-colours, allows you pick a colour that you want.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes the next set of insider builds begins
    Nice blog entry on some background of the next threshold 2 stages by Gabe Aul
    https://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/08/18/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-10525/