Options

Pakistan to hang paralysed man whilst he is in his wheelchair

gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
Forum Member
✭✭✭
"Pakistan is planning to execute a paraplegic man by hanging him while he remains seated in his wheelchair - the first case of its kind in the country.
Abdul Basit, 43, was convicted of murder in 2009 but a bout of tuberculosis while detained in Faisalabad Prison the following year which left him paralysed from the waist down.

Following Pakistan's decision to lift its moratorium on executions in the wake of the Peshawar massacre last December, Basit has moved to the front of the queue to be killed - sparking furious debate over the legal, ethical and even practical implications of his execution."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3204936/Pakistan-plans-execute-severely-disabled-man-hanging-death-remains-seated-wheelchair.html#ixzz3jNXAEQGH

As a disabled man I don't think this is right.. It just seems barbaric to execute a disabled person. Why do they have to kill him? Why can't he spend the rest of his life in jail instead?

Do you agree with this decision and believe people should be executed regardless of any disability or do you agree with me it doesn't feel the moral thing to do?

Comments

• Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    It's barbaric to kill any person, what a sick society they have.
  • Options
    jacquelineannejacquelineanne Posts: 1,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst I think it is ridiculous to hang him with his wheelchair, if he is a murderer then why should he escape punishment because he is disabled.

He still did the crime.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a disabled man I don't think this is right.. It just seems barbaric to execute a disabled person. Why do they have to kill him? Why can't he spend the rest of his life in jail instead?

You said it yourself in your post: "Abdul Basit, 43, was convicted of murder".

If capital punishment is the norm for murderers in one country, then unless he has a learning disorder, he shouldn't be excepted if he was sentenced to die in said country.
  • Options
    mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    Whilst I think it is ridiculous to hang him with his wheelchair, if he is a murderer then why should he escape punishment because he is disabled.

He still did the crime.

correct, a true "equal opportunity" to face justice
  • Options
    Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    To play devils advocate should disabled killers be treated any differently than able bodied killers?
  • Options
    MelodyMakerMelodyMaker Posts: 823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unless he is mentally disabled and unable to tell right from wrong, then if he has committed a crime he should be dealt with in the same manner as anyone else.
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leaving aside the debate about the rights and wrongs of this particular choice of punishment, I am confused why you feel that a punishment should be different just because he is disabled?
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He still did the crime.

That would be because:
    Guidelines state that a prisoner must be able to support their own weight on the scaffold - so officials hope to get round this using a wheelchair
  • Options
    DigitalSpyUserDigitalSpyUser Posts: 1,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The death penalty in an ideal world shouldn't exist ANYWHERE! I just don't think he should be given any special treatment because he is in a wheelchair.
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

He still did the crime.
    This^^

I disagree with the DP in general, but in countries where they have it, I don't think a person should be exempted because they're disabled, especially when, as in this case, the disability occurred well after the crime and sentencing.
  • Options
    JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    i dont like the idea of hanging. firing squad is more humane and efficient and in the end murder is murder
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The death penalty in an ideal world shouldn't exist ANYWHERE! I just don't think he should be given any special treatment because he is in a wheelchair.

Quite. I am anti capital punishment but can't get my head around why someone would be for it except where the person is disabled...
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In an ideal world, people wouldn't commit violent and malicious crimes.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Pakistan is planning to execute a paraplegic man by hanging him while he remains seated in his wheelchair - the first case of its kind in the country.
    Abdul Basit, 43, was convicted of murder in 2009 but a bout of tuberculosis while detained in Faisalabad Prison the following year which left him paralysed from the waist down.

Following Pakistan's decision to lift its moratorium on executions in the wake of the Peshawar massacre last December, Basit has moved to the front of the queue to be killed - sparking furious debate over the legal, ethical and even practical implications of his execution."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3204936/Pakistan-plans-execute-severely-disabled-man-hanging-death-remains-seated-wheelchair.html#ixzz3jNXAEQGH

Do you agree with this decision and believe people should be executed regardless of any disability or do you agree with me it doesn't feel the moral thing to do?

I don't agree with you.
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless he is mentally disabled and unable to tell right from wrong, then if he has committed a crime he should be dealt with in the same manner as anyone else.

Totally agree, his physical disability shouldn't come into it.
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I disagree with hanging anybody but he shouldn't escape punishment just because he's in a wheelchair.
  • Options
    kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    Even if he had been disabled at the time. If he's committed murder than he should be treated the same as others.
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    He should look on the bright side, it could give him the first erection he's had in years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »
    He should look on the bright side, it could give him the first erection he's had in years.

Naughty! :p:D:D:D
  • Options
    John_Smith86John_Smith86 Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    I agree with the OP. Disableds should never face the full weight of the law. There should be one rule for them and one rule for normal people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with the OP. Disableds should never face the full weight of the law. There should be one rule for them and one rule for normal people.

So if a load of wheelchair bound warriors ram-raided our local Morrisons tonight we should all help them home with their swag...that sort of thing do you mean? :p
  • Options
    tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The rights and wrongs of capital punishment aside, he should be treated the same as others who have committed the same crime as long as him being unable to stand does not cause him any more suffering than an able bodied person would suffer. If this was the case then a different method should be used.
  • Options
    gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has been interesting reading your comments and discussions about this. It just seems like something barbaric ISIS would do to me. There might be complications doing this punishment and it might take him longer to die.

Can you imagine if it happened here the European Commission for Human Rights would be up in arms.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It just seems like something barbaric ISIS would do to me. There might be complications doing this punishment and it might take him longer to die.

Are you otherwise pro death penalty?
  • Options
    John_Smith86John_Smith86 Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    It has been interesting reading your comments and discussions about this. It just seems like something barbaric ISIS would do to me. There might be complications doing this punishment and it might take him longer to die.

Are you seriously saying that a physically disabled person should face lower penalties than normal people when they commit crimes?