Options

Beijing World Athletics presented from Salford

marke09marke09 Posts: 12,139
Forum Member
✭✭
am sure BBC bashers will be pleased to know that the presenters and experts for the World Athletics Championships will be based in Salford instead of trackside in Beijing --hope they get enough money together to send the team to Rio

I wonder how they persuaded Michael Johnson to fly to Salford instead of Beijing

tney did the same forvthe swimming earlier this month but even the commentators were based in Salford then

Comments

• Options
    Surferman1Surferman1 Posts: 920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    marke09 wrote: »
    am sure BBC bashers will be pleased to know that the presenters and experts for the World Athletics Championships will be based in Salford instead of trackside in Beijing --hope they get enough money together to send the team to Rio

I wonder how they persuaded Michael Johnson to fly to Salford instead of Beijing

tney did the same forvthe swimming earlier this month but even the commentators were based in Salford then

There are some people who won't be satisfied until there is one person at the BBC in a broom cupboard in black and white, transmitted in 405 lines with a mono microphone so "the BBC isn't wasting licence fee payers money". Never mind the quality of the coverage so long as it's cheap. This then allows them to complain to the Daily Mail that the BBC isn't high enough quality and should be scrapped. The Daily Mail then runs its obligatory double page spread asking "Is the BBC fit for purpose?" while at the same time devoting 48 pages of its Weekend magazine fawning over Strictly, The Antiques Road Show and BBC news readers' diets and fitness routines.

Repeat ad nauseum.
  • Options
    RedOrDead36RedOrDead36 Posts: 1,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are not out there? WTF
  • Options
    SpaceToiletsSpaceToilets Posts: 3,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was surprised to see they were broadcasting from Salford. An event like the World Athletics Championships I'd expect them to be trackside definitely. As you said the BBC bashers are probably rubbing their hands in glee about this.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surferman1 wrote: »
    There are some people who won't be satisfied until there is one person at the BBC in a broom cupboard in black and white, transmitted in 405 lines with a mono microphone so "the BBC isn't wasting licence fee payers money". Never mind the quality of the coverage so long as it's cheap. This then allows them to complain to the Daily Mail that the BBC isn't high enough quality and should be scrapped. The Daily Mail then runs its obligatory double page spread asking "Is the BBC fit for purpose?" while at the same time devoting 48 pages of its Weekend magazine fawning over Strictly, The Antiques Road Show and BBC news readers' diets and fitness routines.

Repeat ad nauseum.

To suggest the only options as "feast or famine," doesn't cut it for me.

To present such sports programmes from a perfectly suitable studio already bought and paid for (at great expense) in Salford, seems excellent business sense.

I really don't bother much with the opinions of pundits, I usually record these events and fast forward through much of the padding. I can forgo the "How do you feel?" interviews with out-of-breath athletes at the end of their event.
  • Options
    ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds sensible to me as those in the studio watch the events on monitors anyway so don't need to be in the country as they'll get the same view of the events sat on their arse in Salford as they would in Bejing - its only really the commentators and those who conduct live interviews with participants at the event that need to actually go.
  • Options
    pedrokpedrok Posts: 16,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the coverage will lose a little something without them being live from within the stadium. Sadly.
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's a shame. Takes away from the atmosphere if they aren't in the stadium.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The addition of intrusive "experts" and the BBC host on these events has completely killed the atmosphere of BBC sports events.

It's bad enough when they were at the stadium, if the viewer is now to be pulled from China to Salford at frequent intervals I don't think I'll be watching.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the BBC have so much expertise in presenting these things, hardly anyone will notice. Perhaps the logistics of setting up in China was a bit too much for what is a week long event with frankly, limited appeal - they're not the Olympics. I think the BBC made totally the right decision.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    I think the BBC have so much expertise in presenting these things, hardly anyone will notice. Perhaps the logistics of setting up in China was a bit too much for what is a week long event with frankly, limited appeal - they're not the Olympics. I think the BBC made totally the right decision.

Exactly, the days when the BBC could afford to spend a fortune to build a temporary studio with a nice view of Table Mountain for their sports presenters to cover the Football World Cup, are fortunately long gone.
  • Options
    NilremNilrem Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    Exactly, the days when the BBC could afford to spend a fortune to build a temporary studio with a nice view of Table Mountain for their sports presenters to cover the Football World Cup, are fortunately long gone.

Except that they didn't build it just for that, and it was at a time when the studio facilities for hire in the area would have been at a premium :).
    It was also probably safer as IIRC it was on the top of a hotel meaning that security for the staff would have been very good as potentially they wouldn't have to travel far (South Africa is a bit of a security nightmare in a lot of areas due to things like car jackings being very common).

IIRC the same modular/portable studio has been used for a variety of things since with one of the most obvious being when they were broadcasting in the run up to the election (I caught it in use near a race course, where I suspect it used the race course's links rather than a satellite truck).

It's the sort of thing that is expensive to build initially (mainly for the equipment required for any studio facility rather than the cost of the actual structure*), but once it's built you've got something that for the price of transporting it (pretty cheap if done to go in standard shipping containers), you've got a proper small studio that can be used almost anywhere in the world if you've got some notice.
    Very very handy if you're covering sporting events, major political events, or even just need a small studio for local events within the country.
    And of course it gives you a backup if one of your normal studios is out of action that can be placed nearby (IE in the car park).

So as an example of extravagance you're probably a mile off the mark.

*in the same way that a GP or a Vet may spend £250k on a building for their surgery, then spend 500k-1 million up on equipping it (depending on things like if they have mini x-ray machines for fractures, ECG facilities etc).
  • Options
    Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member
    whats going on it looks like they're in the stadium now
  • Options
    carnoch04carnoch04 Posts: 10,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are making a good job of pretending to be in the stadium!
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So they are in the stadium?

:D. Oh well.
  • Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Morning sessions presented by Jonathan Edwards from the stadium, evening sessions and the nightly highlights show presented by Gabby Logan from Salford.

Certainly not ideal but the BBC has no choice but make cutbacks like this given what the Government have saddled them with.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bosox wrote: »
    Morning sessions presented by Jonathan Edwards from the stadium, evening sessions and the nightly highlights show presented by Gabby Logan from Salford.

Certainly not ideal but the BBC has no choice but make cutbacks like this given what the Government have saddled them with.

yea by doing that they save on having to pay overnight wages in Salford

gov hasnt saddled them with anythingbyet -the free licence stuff doesnt come in until 2020 by which the licence fee will have gone up by about 5% but dont lets get bogged down in that and enjoy or criticse the coverage
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Government already saddled them with stuff in the last shakedown such as the World Service costs or S4C.
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bosox wrote: »
    That seems almost backwards - wouldn't it make more sense to have Gabby Logan at the stadium for the time when more people are watching, and Jonathan Edwards in Salford for the morning sessions which are less-watched at the best of times, never mind overnight in the UK?

Or is it because the evening sessions will have more guests so it's cheaper to keep that in Salford, even if it is the "marquee" time?
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marke09 wrote: »

Strange that the commentators on the marathon are talking about being in Beijing. I suspect that it is like previous overseas sports events with a mixture of people at the event and others in the UK.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark. wrote: »
    That seems almost backwards - wouldn't it make more sense to have Gabby Logan at the stadium for the time when more people are watching, and Jonathan Edwards in Salford for the morning sessions which are less-watched at the best of times, never mind overnight in the UK?

Or is it because the evening sessions will have more guests so it's cheaper to keep that in Salford, even if it is the "marquee" time?

Just comes down to time zones. If they did the morning sessions from Salford then it would mean working through the night. This way the UK based people can work a normal day doing the evening sessions and the highlights programme.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bit of odd scheduling later - BBC 2 coverage ends at 5.40 for twenty minutes of This is BBC 2 but the 100m preliminaries are on the red button at 5.40 surely BBC 2 could stay on air
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 118,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    Strange that the commentators on the marathon are talking about being in Beijing. I suspect that it is like previous overseas sports events with a mixture of people at the event and others in the UK.

The commentators are in Beijing.
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pedrok wrote: »
    I think the coverage will lose a little something without them being live from within the stadium. Sadly.

I completely agree. Michael Johnson was saying that athletics was losing appeal not only to the drugs scandal but also to how the sport is marketed. Broadcasting from a studio is not going to help as you are unable to capture the atmosphere of the event.
  • Options
    RedOrDead36RedOrDead36 Posts: 1,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paula Radcliffe is a bit random.
  • Options
    tellyadicttellyadict Posts: 4,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No smog in Beijing is a good sign.

Will be watching on Eurosport rather than BBC as I hate all the studio cutaways be them in the the stadium or not.