Options

Man United Supporters Thread (Part 48)

Comments

• Options
    Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't understand what man utd are doing with De Gea. If he has one year left on his contract and won't be signing a new one because he wants to go to real and real know all this then what is to stop them just waiting until next summer and get him on a free.
  • Options
    KierenjKierenj Posts: 2,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt35 wrote: »
    Don't understand what man utd are doing with De Gea. If he has one year left on his contract and won't be signing a new one because he wants to go to real and real know all this then what is to stop them just waiting until next summer and get him on a free.

But it doesn't really matter to Utd... they don't need the money so may as well keep him and then take their time over his replacement. If they're only offering 20 millions that's small beer for a company making as much as they do so may as well hold off and make a statement.
  • Options
    toastie15toastie15 Posts: 3,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Romero, Darmian, Smalling, Blind, Shaw; Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger, Memphis, Januzaj, Mata; Rooney Subs: Johnstone, Valencia, McNair, Carrick, Herrera, Young, Hernandez.
  • Options
    Tannhauser GateTannhauser Gate Posts: 17,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    toastie15 wrote: »
    Romero, Darmian, Smalling, Blind, Shaw; Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger, Memphis, Januzaj, Mata; Rooney Subs: Johnstone, Valencia, McNair, Carrick, Herrera, Young, Hernandez.

So Schwiny (is that his official nickname now?) gets his first start as expected. Will be good to see what he can do from the off. If we are comfortable at any point, I would love to see Herrera and Hernandez get good game time.
  • Options
    Eddie hunterEddie hunter Posts: 4,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kierenj wrote: »
    But it doesn't really matter to Utd... they don't need the money so may as well keep him and then take their time over his replacement. If they're only offering 20 millions that's small beer for a company making as much as they do so may as well hold off and make a statement.

Unless the statement is "we haven't a clue what we're doing" I don't see how that stacks up.

£20m IS a lot of money. People seem blinkered to this because of the amount of money thrown about in transfer fees but there is no company that willingly dismisses it for no reason.

If they were offered £20m to offload a player now who at the very earliest won't play until September and can sign a pre-contract in January when presumably he won't play again then you have to be stupid to reject that.

Its no making a statement. If anything Real are making the statement by not paying the money and taking the player for nothing.
  • Options
    Banana RamaBanana Rama Posts: 3,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless the statement is "we haven't a clue what we're doing" I don't see how that stacks up.

£20m IS a lot of money. People seem blinkered to this because of the amount of money thrown about in transfer fees but there is no company that willingly dismisses it for no reason.

If they were offered £20m to offload a player now who at the very earliest won't play until September and can sign a pre-contract in January when presumably he won't play again then you have to be stupid to reject that.

Its no making a statement. If anything Real are making the statement by not paying the money and taking the player for nothing.

agreed, it seems as if we have backed ourselves into a corner with the de gea situation after demanding ramos in return or a world record fee, we have ended up with romero in goal who is an average gk at best, should of just sold him earlier in the window and got a proper replacement in. madrid already have a very good goalkeeper in keylor navas so we are hurting ourselves more then them in this situation.

as for todays game, its great to see januzaj getting a run in the side at last but i am worried about herrera not starting again, i wonder how much longer he will put up with this before he looks to move on. i am always disappointed to see rooney in the line-up these days but if he can at least avoid being a total liability today and ruining most of our attacks that would be progress for him, i would of liked to of seen hernandez get the nod myself...
  • Options
    Grim FandangoGrim Fandango Posts: 4,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great to see Schweinsteiger starting. Herrera for Januzaj and it'd probably be our strongest starting XI. However, happy for the little Belgian to start again as he's been nice and sprightly thus far this season.
  • Options
    shubstarshubstar Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    Kierenj wrote: »

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/aug/20/manchester-united-transfer-window-pedro-bastian-schweinsteiger-david-de-gea

This article seems to suggest Real Madrid actually haven't made an official bid yet, instead opting to leak stories to the papers in an attempt to unsettle De Gea and force our hands.

Makes it difficult to sell De Gea if the buying club haven't even put an official bid on the table...
  • Options
    Fergie86Fergie86 Posts: 7,999
    Forum Member
    Got an awful feeling Newcastle will nick this 1-0 in the second half, we started well and for me Rooney's goal should of been given but Newcastle are coming into it and we look a bit fragile at the back, also get the feeling if we play till midnight we won't score, hope i'm wrong though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fergie86 wrote: »
    Got an awful feeling Newcastle will nick this 1-0 in the second half, we started well and for me Rooney's goal should of been given but Newcastle are coming into it and we look a bit fragile at the back, also get the feeling if we play till midnight we won't score, hope i'm wrong though.

Only got one eye on this because of the athletics but I'm getting a sinking feeling as well. We have had a lot of the ball and chances yet they could easily sneak it. Even a draw is not a good result.

I'm glad we didn't farm Janujaz out on loan.....Mata's passing has been a bit wayward...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope LVG has the bottle to take Rooney off....
  • Options
    SSReportersSSReporters Posts: 9,547
    Forum Member
    0-0 it is

Disappointing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That just confirms what we all knew... striker please LVG.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doh.

Bring back the uneventful 1-0 wins I say.

Two points dropped there, how costly they will be, well only time will tell.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    LVG will still say we dont need a striker though!
  • Options
    big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Two pints dropped but Newcastle played as well as I've seen then play in years (well their defence did)
  • Options
    Fergie86Fergie86 Posts: 7,999
    Forum Member
    Blatently obvious we need a striker, though i doubt we will get one as i think we have done our transfer business this summer, everything was fine today until the final third, i fear we will have many days like this, this season.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That result has put a bit of a Debbie downer on the weekend now, hopefully we can or will see a few of our rivals drop some points.

At least one of, if not both Arsenal and Liverpool will do so on Monday anyway.
  • Options
    computermastercomputermaster Posts: 4,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Too much emphasis on possesion football is killing any opportuinity for individuals to shine. We come across as something like a prototype Barcelona and often look confused in the final third.

Was really hoping Memphis was gonna kick on after his excellent performance in the CL, but he was disappointing today.
  • Options
    Adam LawAdam Law Posts: 1,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As everyone has said, we need a striker. I hope LVG has something up his sleeve.
  • Options
    Grim FandangoGrim Fandango Posts: 4,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We'll struggle to make the CL places if we don't bring in a #9 before the window closes.
  • Options
    Banana RamaBanana Rama Posts: 3,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We'll struggle to make the CL places if we don't bring in a #9 before the window closes.

i think we would have won today if hernandez had started, he looks a lot sharper then rooney with his pace and movement and gets into goalscoring positions more often, the problem is rooney, like playing with 10 men with him in the team, how much longer is van gaal going to persist with him...
  • Options
    SSReportersSSReporters Posts: 9,547
    Forum Member
    Rooney has been playing professional senior level football for 13 years. And in any sport -- Basketball, boxing, MMA, baseball, etc. if you start young, you can very well fade young.

He's only 29 and maybe this is just a bad dip in form combined with a complete lack of a striking partnership, but that's just something to think about.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lots of ifs from today's game, the main one being Rooney's non goal, shame that the lino decided to get this one wrong, and let the Liverpool one stand, when it should have been vice-versa.

Still to slow and pedestrian at times with our passing I thought, we looked better in mid-week, hopefully that remains the case with the second leg, but it would be nice if we could show some of that in our league games.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,568
    Forum Member
    Nope, it was just one of those days. 9 times out of 10 we'd win a game like that, the amount of time we were able to push forward (first 15, last 20 minutes) shows improvement IMO.

Perfectly good goal disallowed (level), hit the post, a myriad of blocks from a solid Newcastle defence, just one of those days. Nothing has changed. And we are top of the league for the next 2 hours.

With another performance like that, we'll beat Brugge again.
This discussion has been closed.