Options

The Archers!

Comments

• Options
    sam_geesam_gee Posts: 49,485
    Forum Member
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    She's gone and stuffed Rob and Helen a wad of money (£10k I think) - guaranteed to cause more family acrimony.

I'm still cross she made it through the flood.

:D:D Peggy and her money! Does she ever stop waving it in her family's faces? Someone will bump her off for it one of these days :D
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,995
    Forum Member
    Love the Druth tension this week.

David can hardly cope with one whining Geordie, let alone two...and an aged incontinent one at that.
    The Rob/Charlie face-off was pretty cool.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,792
    Forum Member
    We can add blackmail to Rob's unattractive nature. Will Helen *ever* see the light? Presumably when the forensic auditor finds the smoking gun that Charlie will just cover it up as is the way of all shady businesses.

I am still thinking Rob forged the letter clearing of him of being the father of his ex-wife's new baby and using the money fiddled from the business to pay paternity. Where will he get the money for that from now?
  • Options
    LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope Rob has to get a job a long way away from Borsetshire and takes stupid, irritating Helen with him.
  • Options
    SunnydaysSunnydays Posts: 12,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    seejay63 wrote: »
    I haven't heard today's episode yet, but it was pretty obvious what his reaction was going to be. I don't feel sorry for him at all. At least Elizabeth and Shula hadn't actually spent any of their money, but Kenton is a pillock and I haven't got any sympathy with him. Why did they need to fly first class? Why did he need to waste money on baubles? If the move had gone ahead and he'd got his huge share he would have been skint again in a couple of years after frittering it all away.

Agree, what a wet lettuce. Fancy spending the money and then blaming others, he should have waited until it was in his sticky paws first.

Now weeping and wailing that it is all David's fault for changing his mind. The usual cry of the spoilt child, it is always everyone else's fault and no blame attached to them.......Grow up Kenton!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    We can add blackmail to Rob's unattractive nature. Will Helen *ever* see the light? Presumably when the forensic auditor finds the smoking gun that Charlie will just cover it up as is the way of all shady businesses.

I am still thinking Rob forged the letter clearing of him of being the father of his ex-wife's new baby and using the money fiddled from the business to pay paternity. Where will he get the money for that from now?

Now there's a thought. I wondered how he got away with that one, and perhaps you have found the answer.......forgery, to add to all his other 'charms'. I do wish Helen were not so soppy and wake up to see that he is a control-freak....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    Love the Druth tension this week.

David can hardly cope with one whining Geordie, let alone two...and an aged incontinent one at that.
    The Rob/Charlie face-off was pretty cool.

I did start to wonder if I was going demented, as I have begun to shout at the television when I listen to the Archers omnibus. I know Ruth's Mum did not want to live with them in the beginning, but surely now, now that there is the possibility of her staying in the Care Home......she would much prefer to live with them. For goodness sake, take the woman in......company for Jill and give Jill a few more recipes from up north to follow...... :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sylvia wrote: »
    I just don't find new Superwoman Pip at all believable. She has gone from selfish, lazy, spoilt brat to hard-grafting agricultural genius in the twinkling of an eye.

Oh yes, spoilt brat, especially over the car, wanted her Dad to fork out for a nearly new one, instead of one she could afford which would have done just as well......she does seem to have come down to earth a bit more now.
  • Options
    NMdum1NMdum1 Posts: 1,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was sucked into this a few years ago at work with only my radio on for company for much of the day and Radio 4 as the default channel.

As sympathetic as I am inclined to be given the situation, Helen is kind of annoying me now. I was intrigued at the beginning, I suspected Rob's villainy straight-away. I liked the fact that its been a slow build-up. I now really want Helen to get a clue and run Helen run! I get the psychology, she's become more and more reliant on him emotionally and mentally. I really want something to happen, doesn't need to be massive, but something needs to changed and quickly for her to get a bloody clue! Other-wise whatever credibility she has is lost the longer she keeps going with that. Saying that, I'm glad they are doing it - it would be so easy for him to have started beating her quite early on just to make it easier to put it across given that we've only got sound and not images to go on with radio. The slow-burn quality gave it an edge. I just don't want this to be all there is for her for the foreseeable future - I mean she can't possibly be that stupid, can she?
  • Options
    bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rob is upto something very sinister.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,995
    Forum Member
    NMdum1 wrote: »
    I was sucked into this a few years ago at work with only my radio on for company for much of the day and Radio 4 as the default channel.

As sympathetic as I am inclined to be given the situation, Helen is kind of annoying me now. I was intrigued at the beginning, I suspected Rob's villainy straight-away. I liked the fact that its been a slow build-up. I now really want Helen to get a clue and run Helen run! I get the psychology, she's become more and more reliant on him emotionally and mentally. I really want something to happen, doesn't need to be massive, but something needs to changed and quickly for her to get a bloody clue! Other-wise whatever credibility she has is lost the longer she keeps going with that. Saying that, I'm glad they are doing it - it would be so easy for him to have started beating her quite early on just to make it easier to put it across given that we've only got sound and not images to go on with radio. The slow-burn quality gave it an edge. I just don't want this to be all there is for her for the foreseeable future - I mean she can't possibly be that stupid, can she?

I hope it carries on! Said so a while ago
    :D

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=77655755&postcount=936
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps if it becomes really clear to a few people just how dreadful Rob is and they try and convince Helen of this, or better yet, Henry turns against Rob in a big way and that shakes Helen out of her stupor. It's a very difficult thing to judge, how long can you string something like this out before Helen becomes too stupid to believe in? How long before you go from sympathising and you turn to thinking "you stupid, stupid woman" a lot? Its a credibility thing. Plus, the mask will slip eventually. He will be revealed as the villain he is.

And you don't want half the audience shouting at the radio with Peggy or somebody commiserating in the village shop about how awful it must have been "yes, well you lot were a fat lot of bloody good aren't/weren't you?" And then somebody like Lynda Snell - and normally I love Lynda, a creation of comic genius - going on about how they always suspected something was off and yet of course they're just saying that to make themselves feel better! And you know that's what'll happen!

Tough balancing act. I'm glad they are trying it though, its keeping my attention going....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    After reading the posts on here I had to catch up (four omnibuses and four singles, phew!) as it all seems to be happening in Ambridge.

I'm really starting to dislike Adam - what a spiteful little tease he is. He seems to love having Charlie drooling over him then keeps mentioning Ian >:( It'd serve him right if Charlie and Ian got together and left him out in the cold :D Can't stand Adam's irritating drawl either.

Helen seems very happy to be Mrs Titchener at last - may all her troubles be little ones eh :D She should take her mother's advice about not rushing into a joint account. Don't think Tom was too chuffed when Rob kept interfering in the plans for the new shop either.

I was quite shocked that the happy couple went off and married in secret. How could they let Emma down like that? She was really looking forward to being Helen's bridesmaid or whatever :D

When Rob left his job it seemed like he threatened Charlie with blackmail, but I can't see what he has on Charlie. He was making some nasty comments about Charlie being gay, but surely it can't be that...

Sick to death of St Pip. I've got a feeling she won't go to Brazil, but I really hope she does.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    NMdum1 wrote: »
    Perhaps if it becomes really clear to a few people just how dreadful Rob is and they try and convince Helen of this, or better yet, Henry turns against Rob in a big way and that shakes Helen out of her stupor. It's a very difficult thing to judge, how long can you string something like this out before Helen becomes too stupid to believe in? How long before you go from sympathising and you turn to thinking "you stupid, stupid woman" a lot? Its a credibility thing. Plus, the mask will slip eventually. He will be revealed as the villain he is.

And you don't want half the audience shouting at the radio with Peggy or somebody commiserating in the village shop about how awful it must have been "yes, well you lot were a fat lot of bloody good aren't/weren't you?" And then somebody like Lynda Snell - and normally I love Lynda, a creation of comic genius - going on about how they always suspected something was off and yet of course they're just saying that to make themselves feel better! And you know that's what'll happen!

Tough balancing act. I'm glad they are trying it though, its keeping my attention going....

I don't think Helen would listen to anyone trying to warn her about Rob. The only thing that would bring her to her senses would be if she saw that being with him put Henry at risk. I get quite nervous when Rob is alone with Henry; I think he quite dislikes the little mite on the quiet and is very impatient with him. If Helen caught him shouting at Henry or being rough with him that would be the end, or the beginning of the end at least.
  • Options
    LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bornfree wrote: »
    Rob is upto something very sinister.

Yes, but what will it be? He's obviously an abuser, will it be a straightforward domestic violence storyline? Or something more subtle?

I did wonder if they had him walk out of his job so that he can get Helen to move away from Ambridge and isolate her from her famiily, but then they wouldn't be in it any more, so that would be a bit pointless.

Helen is such a bad judge of men.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    LakieLady wrote: »
    Yes, but what will it be? He's obviously an abuser, will it be a straightforward domestic violence storyline? Or something more subtle?

I did wonder if they had him walk out of his job so that he can get Helen to move away from Ambridge and isolate her from her famiily, but then they wouldn't be in it any more, so that would be a bit pointless.

He'd like to stay in Ambridge I think, and maybe get his hands on some of Helen's family's money - I notice he always has a pleasant word for Peggy. I think he likes being able to control Helen despite the presence of her enormous extended family and if they weren't around it would remove some of the spice. However, if things got too hot for him in Ambridge I'm sure he'd happily up sticks and take Helen with him.

I definitely don't think he faked the DNA results - that would involve too many agencies which are out of his control wouldn't it? He wasn't his ex's only partner at the time she got pregnant - and she seemed to accept that he wasn't the father of her child anyway.

BIB I don't think Rob has a master plan - he'll control Helen and see where it takes him. I do think her money is very attractive to him though :D
  • Options
    bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think he will do this ...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFfBB4WCFJY
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sam_gee wrote: »
    I don't think Helen would listen to anyone trying to warn her about Rob. The only thing that would bring her to her senses would be if she saw that being with him put Henry at risk. I get quite nervous when Rob is alone with Henry; I think he quite dislikes the little mite on the quiet and is very impatient with him. If Helen caught him shouting at Henry or being rough with him that would be the end, or the beginning of the end at least.
    I think this is how they’ll do it and as much as this is horrible to think about, I suspect this is the only way to shake Helen out of it.

Quite – a terrible judge. And she wants to be happy which is what makes it worse, she's buys-in to the dream. It has to be something more subtle, you’ve identified the logic-flaw right away. Unless TPTB think the character has run her course and this is their way of either resting her for a while or writing her out, there’s no benefit to isolating her to the point that she’s no longer in it. There has to be some final game for Rob that perhaps we don't know about yet or its a "wood for the trees" situation and he figures Helen's the easiest way to get it - like he was lining her up from the start.

SamGee, I reckon you’re right and Peggy’s money would do nicely to boot! And yes bornfree, you’re probably right too! Mind-games for the rest of a miserable life – clearly Jess is f**ked-up because of him! Perhaps Jess might reappear and help rescue Helen when it comes to it? The Sisterhood and all of that….actually that'd be pretty good, one abused ex-partner coming to help save the woman who came after her. And Uncle Brian probably won't be too chuffed at bringing Rob into the village in the first place either so that might cause more problems between Bridge Farm and the Aldridges which suggests that the aftermath could run and run....

All this suspense! I suppose it might feel more sinister because it’s on radio and we can’t see it, so it’s always worse in our heads…. Anyway, it’s a storyline that’s actually got you paying real attention to it and wondering what the next instalment might be so I’m glad they’ve started it, even if it’s tricky to maintain a balance and resolve it….
  • Options
    ravensboroughravensborough Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    After reading the posts on here I had to catch up (four omnibuses and four singles, phew!) as it all seems to be happening in Ambridge.

I'm really starting to dislike Adam - what a spiteful little tease he is. He seems to love having Charlie drooling over him then keeps mentioning Ian >:( It'd serve him right if Charlie and Ian got together and left him out in the cold :D Can't stand Adam's irritating drawl either.

Helen seems very happy to be Mrs Titchener at last - may all her troubles be little ones eh :D She should take her mother's advice about not rushing into a joint account. Don't think Tom was too chuffed when Rob kept interfering in the plans for the new shop either.

I was quite shocked that the happy couple went off and married in secret. How could they let Emma down like that? She was really looking forward to being Helen's bridesmaid or whatever :D

When Rob left his job it seemed like he threatened Charlie with blackmail, but I can't see what he has on Charlie. He was making some nasty comments about Charlie being gay, but surely it can't be that...

Sick to death of St Pip. I've got a feeling she won't go to Brazil, but I really hope she does.

Of course Pip won't go to Brazil! This is just like the whole Route B storyline with David and Ruth finally deciding not to leave.

I've a feeling Rob would blackmail Charlie about his New Year's kiss with Adam. Charlie obviously cares about Adam and maybe he wouldn't want this to get out?
  • Options
    seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    bornfree wrote: »

Didn't one of Gail's husbands in Corrie do something? The mad one who tried to kill them all?
  • Options
    Forum Member

I don't think she'll go. It would be pointless of them changing the actress then sending her off so soon afterwards.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    seejay63 wrote: »
    Didn't one of Gail's husbands in Corrie do something? The mad one who tried to kill them all?

Not sure about Gail's Richard Hillman, but Charlie Stubbs from Corrie tried to do something similar to the Gaslight story to Shelley Unwin.

It could end up like that with Rob and Helen I guess, if it suits the sinister one's purpose.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Of course Pip won't go to Brazil! This is just like the whole Route B storyline with David and Ruth finally deciding not to leave.

I've a feeling Rob would blackmail Charlie about his New Year's kiss with Adam. Charlie obviously cares about Adam and maybe he wouldn't want this to get out?

Yes that would make sense, and I think Charlie wanted a chat with Adam about something, (I know, doesn't he always :D), so it could've been that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not sure about Gail's Richard Hillman, but Charlie Stubbs from Corrie tried to do something similar to the Gaslight story to Shelley Unwin.

It could end up like that with Rob and Helen I guess, if it suits the sinister one's purpose.

Ah yes, Richard Hillman - I couldn't remember his name. If I remember correctly he was trying to make everyone think that Gail's mum was going dolally so that he could get control of her business.
  • Options
    trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 38,001
    Forum Member

Tom was brilliant when he said 'When Helen and I meet' the architect or whoever to Rob. I really think Rob wants to get involved with the shop but Tom was calm and clearly not going to let him. I do wonder if Rob is purely all about the abuse of Helen. He was really undermining about how she would like to do up the shop and he obviously wants her pregnant and bare foot at home. He really is quite sinister and I'm loving it :D:cool:

As for blackmailing Charlie, Rob knows about his snog with Adam at Christmas. It was so clever and sinister, the way he has played Helen and Charlie over his departure and the reasons for it. He is a magnificent villain.