Options

Airshows should be BANNED!!

Comments

• Options
    AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    codeblue wrote: »
    what is the logic, when the plane came down killing 20 people?

Why do you keep adding "killing 20 people" to everything you say? I think everyone is aware that innocent people have died as a result of this crash.

I'm talking about the logic of the statements. Not the rights and wrongs of the airshow or the particular manoeuvre. Your contention that he chose to bring it down on the road lacks any logic.
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "police warn death toll could rise to 20"

So you're quoting wrong numbers all the time? The death toll stands at 11 not 20.
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    albertd wrote: »
    There is very little in the way of beach as it is not a seaside town as such, more a town on the coast.

What beach there is is steep shingle and there is very little parking available anywhere near. Most of the coast there is taken up by private housing virtually on the beach and a busy commercial port.

There is a narrow path/cycle track along the coast to Lancing adjacent to the Widewater Lagoon but again still the shingle beach and no obvious parking until you get to the Lancing Beach Green, over 3 miles from the Shoreham end where there is another beach green but little parking.

just looking at google earth, there are miles of beach, this is right next to hove and brighton!

why wasnt it over the sea?
  • Options
    allafixallafix Posts: 20,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "police warn death toll could rise to 20"
    "Could rise to 20" is not the same as "is 20"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allafix wrote: »
    "Could rise to 20" is not the same as "is 20"

Exactly my point. It's not hard to verify before posting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just looking at google earth, there are miles of beach, this is right next to hove and brighton!

why wasnt it over the sea?
    It's not a commercial beach, with a promenade, etc. I'm not looking at Google Earth, I live there. The beach here is not suitable for a display and the show would not be the event it is without the static aircraft park and other sideshows. There is absolutely nothing inherently dangerous about holding an air display at an airfield.

And no, before you suggest it, you could not have a two centre display with static aircraft park, sideshows, etc at the airport and the flying over the sea, not properly visible from there.
  • Options
    duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    francie wrote: »
    So you're quoting wrong numbers all the time? The death toll stands at 11 not 20.

There are three people named as in the vicinity and not heard from since. One travelling with Matt Jones and one who's motorcycle is in bits across the road going by pictures.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    I didn't say they have, I said that some of us (and to be fair, now many other people) have said the regulations are inadequate. I even referred to the CAA statement, posted a few posts above.

This (the matter of the regulations) will, however, be addressed by the CAA in its review and it will undertake "additional risk assessments on all forthcoming civil air displays to establish if additional measures should be introduced."

But in fact, temporary additional restrictions have already been introduced pending their full review and I am quite certain that the regulations will be tightened permanently, at least for some airfields/air displays, and one such will IMO be Shoreham.
    The point is the people here calling for such things mostly have no background in aviation and can't properly assess the risks involved. Just uninformed and knee jerk reactions. Please leave it to the CAA to decide and stop making unfounded assertions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duffsdad wrote: »
    There are three people named as in the vicinity and not heard from since. One travelling with Matt Jones and one who's motorcycle is in bits across the road going by pictures.

My point being this particular poster has been stating 20 when in fact, at the time of typing, 11 have been reported as having died. I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn of more unfortunate deaths being reported...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    francie wrote: »
    Even the figure of 11 is not confirmed. 11 and 20 were possible maximum numbers based on people repoted missing by families and friends, and the visible wreckage. Until bodies are recovered the numbers remain unknown.

Sadly it could be even more as no one knows how many spectators were standing in the area the Hunter ended up in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even the figure of 11 is not confirmed. 11 and 20 were possible maximum numbers based on people repoted missing by families and friends, and the visible wreckage. Until bodies are recovered the numbers remain unknown.

Sadly it could be even more as no one knows how many spectators were standing in the area the Hunter ended up in.

I'm quite "happy" to wait for official figures / results of an investigation rather than speculate like some.

BIB: it doesn't bear thinking about. Just horrible.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The CAA are completely independent. They are not in the pocket of vested interests.

Adding a smilie doesn't make such a suggestion any more acceptable.

Nor does an assurance from an aviation enthusiast.

I have had dealings with them, and am currently involved with a move to try and make LCY consult over new, narrow flightpaths.

I need no education as regards the efficacy of the CAA. Neither does HACAN.
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thank goodness these jets cannot display over land anymore

a sensible decision
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    Nor does an assurance from an aviation enthusiast.

I have had dealings with them, and am currently involved with a move to try and make LCY consult over new, narrow flightpaths.

I need no education as regards the efficacy of the CAA. Neither does HACAN.
    Because quite often peoples' noise complaints defy the evidence and all logic, yet you expect them to do everything you say?
  • Options
    KirkfnwKirkfnw Posts: 1,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Significant restrictions on vintage jets in air shows have been imposed after the Shoreham crash, the UK's aviation regulator has announced.

Brilliant news! A big "ha" goes to the people who disagreed and insulted me on this thread. You lose.
  • Options
    SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

a sensible decision

Nobody will disagree with you there, sensible given that we don't know the cause so play safe.
  • Options
    artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kirkfnw wrote: »
    Brilliant news! A big "ha" goes to the people who disagreed and insulted me on this thread. You lose.

Good grief. This must be one of the most pathetic posts i've ever seen on this forum.
  • Options
    TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not quite true:

http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=14&pagetype=65&appid=7&mode=detail&nid=2479

"Flying displays over land by vintage jet aircraft will be significantly restricted until further notice. They will be limited to flypasts, which means ‘high energy’ aerobatics will not be permitted."
    a sensible decision

Probably inevitable as an interim measure.
  • Options
    artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aftershow wrote: »
    Good grief. This must be one of the most pathetic posts i've ever seen on this forum.
    They sound like a petulant 12 year old.
  • Options
    SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Read the CAA bulletin before you crow any more.
    "Precaution", "temporary measures introduced", "until further notice" are terms used.
    Sounds sensible to me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

a sensible decision
    It's a temporary restriction as a precaution pending a full review. Hunters have been grounded as well, but that's almost certainly temporary too.

It only applies to vintage jet aircraft, strangely. Any jet, even a current RAF plane, could have such an accident in a display.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh dear, using such a thread to score internet points. Now you can sit and smile knowing that some innocent deaths have helped make your day. Wow, what a "man".
  • Options
    duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    artnada wrote: »

How on earth is it kneejerk? It is covering all bases. And regardless of the outcome the location and proximity to the general public is an issue.

This video shows how it near the plane actually was to housing at one point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnTGEyb92xk
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "A big ha", "You lose" :confused::( Pathetic.

I'm not surprised people disagreed with and insulted you if you post like that.