• Options
    satellitesatellite Posts: 8,181
    Forum Member
    Painful.
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know he's been brilliant for Arsenal since joining but Sanchez has been pretty poor tonight. The killer touch has been lacking and that's hurt the team.

Not good enough.
  • Options
    NightHawk123NightHawk123 Posts: 7,015
    Forum Member
    Well we got the clean sheet after all!

Fair result of things considered. Linesman robbed us though.
  • Options
    TironTiron Posts: 8,080
    Forum Member
    Don't know what to make of that match!
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well we got the clean sheet after all!

Fair result of things considered. Linesman robbed us though.

Glossed over by Sky which is quite something considering the meal (albeit quite rightly) they made of the Liverpool v Bournemouth decisions last week.
  • Options
    ustarionustarion Posts: 20,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    66% possession. 4 shots on target.
  • Options
    ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    extremely lightweight up front. Well played Petr Cech.
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Gabriel was good I thought. Chambers was nervy.

What more to say about Arsenal? Horror first half, better in the second. No width, no penetration. Things picked up when the Ox came on.

Giroud is not good enough. Either play to his strengths or get a mobile striker with a brain in.
  • Options
    ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    anyone got our scoring rate off corners? Seems to me it's about one goal per season from a corner.
  • Options
    ArmiArmi Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still a fair few players not firing on all cylinders yet.

We need a lethal finisher. Can you imagine Aguero in our team with the amount of chances we provide around the box? Someone who can pick up one of those balls and put it away.
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Good display by Cech, our passing was very sloppy and times and we kept giving the ball away. Chambers had a poor game, so (I hate to say) did Alexis
  • Options
    Red NovemberRed November Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tiron wrote: »
    Don't know what to make of that match!
    Me neither.

The offside decision robbed us of 2 points. But the Cech saves turned a defeat into a draw.

Swings and roundabouts I guess. Disappointing though.
  • Options
    GoodwinGoodwin Posts: 6,576
    Forum Member
    Saw the best and worst of Arsenal tonight. When the 1-2's come off and we split open a defence then it's a joy to watch. The disallowed Ramsey goal being a case in point. However, we are far too reliant on the precision passing. Far too predictable and we have to mix things up a bit. Play the percentages. More shots instead of continually passing it.

We are no nearer to being true title contenders this season despite the addition of Cech. The same old problems will surface and Wenger is too stubborn and set in his ways to change now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Giroud, Walcott and Welbeck are our main striking options this season then that is a stunning piece of negligence from Wenger (and not for the first time).
  • Options
    satellitesatellite Posts: 8,181
    Forum Member
    ustarion wrote: »
    If Giroud, Walcott and Welbeck are our main striking options this season then that is a stunning piece of negligence from Wenger (and not for the first time).

I'm bored with it now (the Wenger negligence that is), it's the same every year, so why should this season be any different?

What has happened to Welbeck anyway, is he injured?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    satellite wrote: »
    I'm bored with it now (the Wenger negligence that is), it's the same every year, so why should this season be any different?

Yep. Think he's due to return next month.

It is extremely frustrating to see all of your competitors identify weaknesses and show some ambition, whereas the manager of the team you support makes the same mistakes year, after year.
  • Options
    robborocksrobborocks Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    satellite wrote: »

Yep the negligence shouldn't be a surprise, been at it for years. I'm pretty sure its down to arrogance that he thinks he knows best.

A CF is a must and a DM too if a CL and PL challenge is the target, sadly top 4 is the only target which we should scrape with this squad.
  • Options
    GoodwinGoodwin Posts: 6,576
    Forum Member
    Last 6 home games..
    0-0
    0-1
    0-0
    4-1
    0-2
    0-0

A bit of a spat going on between the manager and Gary Neville. Accusing Wenger of being arrogant and naive, Wenger responding with the usual I have been a manager for over 20 years etc etc.

The thing is, if Wenger is not prepared to get his hands dirty in the transfer market or he feels it's beneath him then quite frankly he should step aside and let somebody else manage Arsenal FC. I know he has another season after this but I really do hope he sees sense and walks away and enjoy his time in the sun once his contract is up. The problem is that he lives and breathes football and has admitted as much and unlike Ferguson he has no other hobbies/interests outside of the game. I can see the board extending it for another 2 years just because they don't know anything different and it's the easy option. Retirement scares the hell out of him, likewise it scares the hell out of me he might manage this club for another 3 or 4 years.

Not every signing has to be a 'marquee signing' but players who can do a job, step in when required and ease the burden on the others. We may or may not get another player or 2 in before the window shuts but this should have been done weeks and weeks ago. We finished the season on a high and the manager should have strengthened and keep players on their toes. He was too blinded by the latter half of last season when the title was already lost.
  • Options
    NightHawk123NightHawk123 Posts: 7,015
    Forum Member
    Agree with Goodwin and several others.

Fundamentally something is wrong with our style of play, tactics and transfer methods and it doesn't look like any of it will change under Wenger whilst he is in charge of the club.

It's naive to think that because of our good run at the end of last season we can carry on with more or less the same squad to challenge for the title.

At the moment with this squad, best we can hope for is 4th place again and we deserve better.
  • Options
    Ben_CaesarBen_Caesar Posts: 307
    Forum Member
    I don't understand how managers like him have dozens of coaches around him and he sits there at his managerial chair oblivious to the fact that for a decade his midfield has lacked a proper spine :confused:

I mean I'm guessing years ago he actually wanted a proper holding midfielder after his old guard of Vieira and Silva left but the louder the calls around him got to sign one, the more stubborn he became? Is he afraid that if he now gets one and they manage to win the league that he'll have to stomach all the 'haha, I told you so for years!' jeers?
  • Options
    soteksotek Posts: 3,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Goodwin wrote: »
    We may or may not get another player or 2 in before the window shuts but this should have been done weeks and weeks ago. We finished the season on a high and the manager should have strengthened and keep players on their toes. He was too blinded by the latter half of last season when the title was already lost.

The worst thing is, however many new players we end up with over the next few days they will all be panic buys in response to how we have started the season. No long term planning or careful consideration of a specific player will be involved. We all know that if we'd have won our three opening games Arsene wouldn't have bought anyone else in.
  • Options
    soteksotek Posts: 3,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ben_Caesar wrote: »
    I mean I'm guessing years ago he actually wanted a proper holding midfielder after his old guard of Vieira and Silva left but the louder the calls around him got to sign one, the more stubborn he became? Is he afraid that if he now gets one and they manage to win the league that he'll have to stomach all the 'haha, I told you so for years!' jeers?

It's some version of this ... or perhaps in reverse where he is desperate to win it and then turn around and bask in the glory of knowing he was right and everyone else was wrong.
  • Options
    Ben_CaesarBen_Caesar Posts: 307
    Forum Member
    sotek wrote: »
    It's some version of this ... or perhaps in reverse where he is desperate to win it and then turn around and bask in the glory of knowing he was right and everyone else was wrong.

And for the last few years he's been trying to get these marquee signings like Ozil and Sanchez (and Benzema, though it looks like he's staying) to shut his critics up, as if that would somehow plug the hole in his midfield. The simple fact remains now that Ozil was a luxury they never needed. With regards to Coquelin, he showed promising signs last season. But he's still far from the quality that's needed to really toughen up that midfield and it looks like Wenger is putting far too much faith in him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah the midfield is an issue, but it wasn't perfect in 2011/12 either. This was the season that van Persie scored 30 goals.

The lack of goals is the PRESSING issue. A decent striker who could get on the end of some the work that Ozil is doing is what is needed. Benzema would actually have been a perfect fit.
  • Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    It's early days yet. As some others said, we are not firing on all cylinders. Sanchez is obviously suffering a little dip in form. That will get better without a doubt, as his attitude is first class.

Like in the game against West Ham, we put far too many passes astray/short/long.

I also agree with those who say we need a top class striker. We will not win the league with Giroud. He's proven to be not good enough.

Chamberlain looked very good when he came on. I think he is better coming off the bench in big games. Must be given more game time though, in other games.

Gabriel was impressive. Chambers looked very nervous. Cech was absolutely outstanding.
This discussion has been closed.