Options

Birmingham - why does it exist?

Ben_CaesarBen_Caesar Posts: 307
Forum Member
A city of over 1 million people, Britain's second biggest city by population. With a city that big, what does it have to offer? Their two most 'famous' exports other than their crappy football clubs are Ozzy Osbourne and Jasper Carrot. That's EMBARASSING for a city that big. Everyone rightly mocks their silly accent and the place has become a multi-culty hell hole.

I wouldn't say it's the Detroit of Britain but it's not a particularly good place either. It's just a mediocre city. And there's nothing in life that irritates me more than mediocrity.

Cities in the UK that are smaller than Birmingham like Manchester, Leeds, Edinburgh, Newcastle and Liverpool all punch above their weight. Birmingham produces nothing of real relevance. And especially compared to other global cities of a similar size like Barcelona, Calgary and Adelaide, Birmingham is pitiful ^_^

Comments

• Options
    sam_geesam_gee Posts: 49,374
    Forum Member
    If it irritates you so much you don't have to go there, or even think or talk about the place. I think, deep down, you must be in love with Birmingham - which is a fine city once you get to know it.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ben_Caesar wrote: »
    Everyone rightly mocks their silly accent

Actually, they usually wrongly mock their accent. Most people not from the area effect a Black Country accent when trying to mock the Brummie one and therefore get it completely wrong.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sam_gee wrote: »
    If it irritates you so much you don't have to go there, or even think or talk about the place. I think, deep down, you must be in love with Birmingham - which is a fine city once you get to know it.

I've been there a number of times unfortunately and the place is a dump. Sorry but a place like this needs to be called out for its tediousness :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Actually, they usually wrongly mock their accent. Most people not from the area effect a Black Country accent when trying to mock the Brummie one and therefore get it completely wrong.

I know the difference, still doesn't let Birmingham itself off the hook for how silly they sound. Black Country folk have the worst accents of course but Birmingham stands out particulrly since they're such an easy target for their city size and nothing to show for it.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know the difference, still doesn't let Birmingham itself off the hook for how silly they sound.

Matter of opinion I guess. I could name several regional accents I think are worse than Brummie.
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A city of over 1 million people, Britain's second biggest city by population. With a city that big, what does it have to offer? Their two most 'famous' exports other than their crappy football clubs are Ozzy Osbourne and Jasper Carrot. That's EMBARASSING for a city that big. Everyone rightly mocks their silly accent and the place has become a multi-culty hell hole.

I wouldn't say it's the Detroit of Britain but it's not a particularly good place either. It's just a mediocre city. And there's nothing in life that irritates me more than mediocrity.

Cities in the UK that are smaller than Birmingham like Manchester, Leeds, Edinburgh, Newcastle and Liverpool all punch above their weight. Birmingham produces nothing of real relevance. And especially compared to other global cities of a similar size like Barcelona, Calgary and Adelaide, Birmingham is pitiful ^_^
    BIB - Interesting expression and reason to dislike a city.

How, exactly, does Leeds 'punch above [its] weight'? No disrespect meant to the city, but what's the great gamut of culture and influence to come out of Leeds that so impresses you?
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...wait, Black Sabbath are a lousy export now? Go to your room.
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Actually while Ozzy is a famous export. Black Sabbath itself is bigger than Ozzy. Actually you could even say that Birmingham gave us Heavy Metal. After all it was Sabbath who basically created the genre. Which not everyones cup of tea is one of the biggest genres in the world.

Judas Priest also came from Birmingham, Then flip the coin over and you get bands like ELO, The Moody Blues, The Move, Duran Duran and UB40. All of which came from Birmingham.

Not forgetting that until the Kraft takeover it gave some of the best Chocolate in the form of Cadburys.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    Actually while Ozzy is a famous export. Black Sabbath itself is bigger than Ozzy. Actually you could even say that Birmingham gave us Heavy Metal. After all it was Sabbath who basically created the genre. Which not everyones cup of tea is one of the biggest genres in the world.

Judas Priest also came from Birmingham, Then flip the coin over and you get bands like ELO, The Moody Blues, The Move, Duran Duran and UB40. All of which came from Birmingham.

And Godflesh, too.
  • Options
    Mark1974Mark1974 Posts: 4,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gashead wrote: »

How, exactly, does Leeds 'punch above [its] weight'? No disrespect meant to the city, but what's the great gamut of culture and influence to come out of Leeds that so impresses you?

As someone who lives near Leeds.... well said!
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,616
    Forum Member
    A city of over 1 million people, Britain's second biggest city by population. With a city that big, what does it have to offer?

Well, it has plenty to offer in the way of culture: theatres, museum, art galleries, an amazing library. It's our nearest big city, so we go there quite often. New Street station used to be dreadful but it will be hugely improved when the redevelopment is finished next month. They are even starting to catch up with Manchester with the introduction of city centre trams!
  • Options
    paul2307paul2307 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member
    stoatie wrote: »
    And Godflesh, too.

Spencer Davis Group , Stevie Windward and of course Phil Lynott was born in Birmingham

It can also boast Tolkien , John Wyndham and if its your cup of tea Barbara Cartland as well as Benjamin Zephaniah
  • Options
    Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    Electronic Light Orchestra.
  • Options
    SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably for the same reason that you exist... shit happens.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    silverwork, guns, motorbikes and railway.
  • Options
    NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,171
    Forum Member
    Rich_L wrote: »

I love ELO, Jeff Lynne is brilliant. Love the NEC too :-) been to lots of craft shows there.

I think Ben's just short of something to do today; stuck a pin in a map and landed on Burmingham.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Well I never suggested that it was some cultural haven or anything. It's home to 4 universities and is a huge financial hub for Yorkshire.
    ...wait, Black Sabbath are a lousy export now? Go to your room.

Yes they are and no I won't :D
    bryemycaz wrote: »

Not forgetting that until the Kraft takeover it gave some of the best Chocolate in the form of Cadburys.

I'll acknowledge the decent Cadbury's chocolate and maybe Duran Duran. But Liverpool have a world famous football club and gave the world The Beatles. Manchester is home to the world's most famous football club as well as the richest too. Plus their nightlife is better than Birmingham. And they have MediaCityUK. Birmingham can boast of having a funny looking shopping centre though :D
    jjwales wrote: »
    Well, it has plenty to offer in the way of culture: theatres, museum, art galleries, an amazing library. It's our nearest big city, so we go there quite often. New Street station used to be dreadful but it will be hugely improved when the redevelopment is finished next month. They are even starting to catch up with Manchester with the introduction of city centre trams!

What 'culture' does Birmingham have to offer? Also an amazing library that can't afford its own books and has to beg the public for some? Plus it's an eyesore of hideous proportions. And what's the point of re-building a train station when the rest of the city isn't worth seeing anyway?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rich_L wrote: »

Electric shurely?
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Birmingham used to be the industrial power house of Britain. It is still a major contributor to the UK's economy so that's 'why it exists'. I worked there for over a year until very recently and I refute the idea that 'it is a dump'. There are areas to the east that are a bit run down but all cities have areas like that. The centre of Birmingham is clean, modern and I actually liked it. You can walk from the shopping district over to the recreation/conference district without needing to cross a road through mostly very pleasant pedestrian areas. The one blight on that journey (Paradise Forum) is currently being torn down and replaced with something that looks quite good.

Being a keen walker I spent my lunch hour exploring everywhere within a couple of miles of Brindleyplace and didn't find anywhere that was particularly bad, and several that were very pleasant. I also had a choice of several walks along canal paths that were mostly well maintained and well used.

As for the accent - you hardly ever hear the 'classic brummie' accent in the centre. It's too cosmopolitan for that. I've never really liked large cities and would rather live in a small rural town but I'd be prepared to live in Birmingham if I had to. I'd never even consider living in London.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What 'culture' does Birmingham have to offer?
    I already said - read my post!
    Also an amazing library that can't afford its own books and has to beg the public for some? Plus it's an eyesore of hideous proportions.
    It's a bit strange-looking, but you can get used to it. I quite like it now. It is a shame that it's having to cut back so soon after it opened though.
    And what's the point of re-building a train station when the rest of the city isn't worth seeing anyway?
    There's plenty to see. Even if there wasn't, the millions that pass through each year still deserve a decent station!
  • Options
    _Ash__Ash_ Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You don't like the design of the Bullring and the library...

Well there's always the Victorian architecture in Digbeth to explore. Plus the old Custard Factory, whilst now an outlet for many media companies has some fantastic surrounding areas.

...and we have the Digbeth Dining Club ;)
  • Options
    thewaywardbusthewaywardbus Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear, these threads do come up every so often don't they.

Would be interesting to know where the OP comes from though.

Much as I love Birmingham I know it does have issues however to say it has produced nothing/no one of note or has no purpose is obviously ridiculous. And the fact that the OP says multi-culturalism is a bad thing probably says a lot about how seriously his opinions should be taken.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The Sisters Of Mercy?
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,837
    Forum Member
    Poor old Birmingham; been getting a kicking for 200 years; even Jane Austen had a go:
    'They came from Birmingham, which is not a place to promise much, you know, Mr Weston. One has no great hopes of Birmingham. I always say there is something direful in the sound."

Mrs Elton in ‘Emma’
  • Options
    GirthGirth Posts: 12,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Sisters Of Mercy?
    The Wedding Present? Cud?