Options

US TV journalists shot dead live on air in Virginia

Comments

• Options
    Thomas CrewesThomas Crewes Posts: 733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't watch these videos and I condemn any sites who link them. I'm glad Digital Spy haven't done that, what a shame their effort has gone to waste with people sharing the footage in this thread.
    There's no injury or death visible in the video, stop with the moral grandstanding.
  • Options
    jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SaturnV wrote: »
    I can see the problem just as clearly as you and agree it's not a good situation. Happy to hear any suggestions beyond "it shouldn't happen" etc.
    We don't all live in a gumdrop house on Lollipop Lane.

The solution as proven in other countries is to increase gun control and aim for a culture shift.

The USA is still stuck in a frontier mentality.

Violent gun crime is simply off the scale in the US compared to western Europe.

The disgruntled fired employee coming back to shoot colleagues is a recurring theme in the US.
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    I don't watch these videos and I condemn any sites who link them. I'm glad Digital Spy haven't done that, what a shame their effort has gone to waste with people sharing the footage in this thread.

I find it very scary how attacks like this are happening all the time. What a vile species the human race is. :(

That's your prerogative, but it doesn't make you some kind of moral arbiter of the people that do.
  • Options
    gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's no injury or death visible in the video, stop with the moral grandstanding.
    ↑↑
    this
  • Options
    Tony_DanielsTony_Daniels Posts: 3,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That video is horrible to watch.
  • Options
    gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    jonner101 wrote: »
    The solution as proven in other countries is to increase gun control and aim for a culture shift.

The USA is still stuck in a frontier mentality.

Violent gun crime is simply off the scale in the US compared to western Europe.

The disgruntled fired employee coming back to shoot colleagues is a recurring theme in the US.

and i bet hell be on anti depressants and or cannabis as well

like most is not all of these people
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ustarion wrote: »
    I think you're thinking too logically. The guy probably has mental health issues.

Why is it always explained away as "mental health issues" when the suspect is a white male ?
  • Options
    Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dunno if this has been mentioned yet but TMZ are reporting that the Governor of Virginia says "Officials believe it's a disgruntled ex-employee"

edit - I see ustarion had posted this news a while back.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why is it always explained away as "mental health issues" when the suspect is a white male ?
    Police radio says the suspect is one Lester Lee Flanagan, a black male, so there goes your theory straight to Armatige Shanks Palace.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »
    My opinion on the culture of Americans and their belief in their constitution boils down to the fact that they are still very "frontier-minded" and like to be self-sufficient, self-dependent people. That extends to the notion that they feel they can rely only on themselves for protection, and thus want to have access to the means to defend themselves.

Are we not self-sufficient in this country?

I just don't understand the need to want to own a gun, to me it is pointless and ego driven.
  • Options
    TomWhittonTomWhitton Posts: 1,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dr. Claw wrote: »
    yes they have a system in place where you dont see people sitting on benefits for years on end like you have here or in nanny state europe. it wouldnt be allowed, if you are poor in the usa its entirely your own fault because everyone has equal opportunity. they actually dont want state inteference in their lives.

God, why aren't you my ignore list? Meant to add you ages ago.
  • Options
    ustarionustarion Posts: 20,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have no idea what race the suspect is. I don't think you can be fully sane if you kill in cold blood two people. It's not normal.
  • Options
    Horza's DroneHorza's Drone Posts: 828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If only the journalist and camerman had been armed. They could've defended themselves.

Isn't that how the reasoning goes?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TomWhitton wrote: »
    God, why aren't you my ignore list? Meant to add you ages ago.
    The best way to ignore someone is probably not personally, publicly addressing them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Always quite eerie looking through the deceased twitter postings:

https://twitter.com/AParkerWDBJ7
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member

I just don't understand the need to want to own a gun, to me it is pointless and ego driven.

I think the US are more so in their overall cultural make up. One only has to look at their sub-cultures of things like "preppers" or people who try to live "off grid" out in the sticks in the US. Or look at how they approach customising or adapting stuff.

I think as a nation, they have a much more self-reliant attitude overall.

I often think of the UK as a very "can't do" nation, and the US as a "can do" nation. We tend to put obstacles in our own way before we get on and do anything, whereas my experience with Americans is that they are a bit more optimistic about getting things done.

Of course you don't understand why the need to want to own a gun, much like you can't expect people in the US to understand why we might love afternoon tea and going to the pub on a Sunday for example. There is a massive difference in culture, but people think the US and the UK is very much the same. They aren't.
  • Options
    AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member

If you saw a man threatening people in the streets with a knife in this country most people would probably call the police, so that is reliance on the state for protection. An American who is carrying a gun might confront the person themselves, and only involve the police once they have the situation under control. That's relying on yourself for protection. Neither one is the definitive correct way, but our cultures tend to be split on this debate, which is why most British people think the way forward for America is disarming, and most Americans think the way forward for Britain is arming. While I can see that restrictions on gun ownership has worked here, I just don't think it would work the same over there because of this vast divide in our cultures.
  • Options
    SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Always?
    Don't do it then.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I have seen plenty of reports when the suspect is a black person that also mention mental health, at the end of the day if mental health is a factor then it will be mentioned
  • Options
    DomJollyDomJolly Posts: 1,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not shocked anymore

This is all to common in the US

RIP to those poor people

America however will never change, it's only going to get worse
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SaturnV wrote: »
    Always?
    Don't do it then.

Why not?
  • Options
    FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Quite morbid too
  • Options
    tiger2000tiger2000 Posts: 8,541
    Forum Member
    CNN International carrying the CNN US feed, the gunman has been named and has apparently been posting about his victims on Social media.
  • Options
    boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems the killer filmed the killings and posted it on Facebook and Twitter, his account has been disabled.
  • Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    boksbox wrote: »
    Seems the killer filmed the killings and posted it on Facebook and Twitter, his account has been disabled.

That video is on liveleak. :(