Options

DWP: Death Figures Finally Released

Betty SwollaxBetty Swollax Posts: 599
Forum Member
✭✭
The Tories have finally released the total - burying it under immigration figures - after 250,000 furious people signed a petition

More than 2,500 sick and disabled benefit claimants have died after being found 'fit for work' in just two years, shock figures reveal today.

2,650 people died after being found fit for work

Comments

• Options
    jkwellyjkwelly Posts: 777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Department for Work and Pensions has admitted defeat in its attempt to hide the number of people who have died while claiming incapacity benefits since November 2011 – and has announced that the number who died between January that year and February 2014 is a shocking 91,740.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They will be of "working age" so such a mortality rate is, of course, very very high.

The only reasonable conclusion is that they were NOT in fact "fit for work". Many will have been desperately unwell when found "fit for work".

An investigation as to whether government actions also pushed them to their deaths will probably have to wait until we have a government not containing Iain Duncan Smith or any other right-wing zealot.
  • Options
    Rastus PiefaceRastus Pieface Posts: 4,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    does the report show how many of these people died as a direct result of the DWPs actions?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's shaping up to be the biggest scandal the country has ever seen in the modern age.

The Conservatives should really have gotten rid of Iain Duncan Smith years ago, he's a complete nutcase and liability.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    does the report show how many of these people died as a direct result of the DWPs actions?

How many people the DWP murdered you mean? Or drove to their deaths with chronic and illegal abuse?

I very much doubt any government is ever going to publish such an opinion...

Unless you have something else in mind.
  • Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member

nice try at deflection but i dont think that was the main point being made

i think what these figures do is further undermine the credibility of the WCA process if someone is being found "fit for work" and then pops their clogs
  • Options
    FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A horrible stain on the country (and that's just Smith himself) that comes as a result of ideological warfare. I'm sure the usual suspects will be along to defend even this horror soon enough. Throughly depressing.
  • Options
    BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,666
    Forum Member
    jkwelly wrote: »
    The Department for Work and Pensions has admitted defeat in its attempt to hide the number of people who have died while claiming incapacity benefits since November 2011 – and has announced that the number who died between January that year and February 2014 is a shocking 91,740.

That figure of over 90,000 is truly shocking. To get an idea of what that number of people look like just imagine Wembley packed to capacity on FA Cup final and that is the amount of dead we are talking about.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They really are pushing sick people to their deaths. It cannot be denied any more.

This could be you in the future, or a close friend or relative.

Seriously ill? You aren't making big business any profits so get lost and die.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    thing is if you went to two different GPs and one decided you were not fit for work but was over-ruled by a second less qualified GP who decided you were and refused to sign you off and you then died i would reckon the second GP wouldn't have his licence for long
  • Options
    nomad2kingnomad2king Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    How many people with the same criteria died under Labour? Why did nobody ask that before?

The article gives several examples most or perhaps all are total nonsense. Eg Guy catches pneumonia AFTER any assessment and unrelated to medical condition at the time and is something you can recover from anyway.
    He also threw himself into charity work, collecting hundreds of football shirts to send to orphanages in Moldova and Ukraine for Christmas in 2012.
    Alexandra added: “He had a great life, travelling around and helping kids.
    Doesn't sound that he was that incapable of work at the time of the assessment.
  • Options
    Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you daring to ask what number of people in a given sample might be expected to die during any particular period? I hope you're not going to compound that by suggesting that the composition of a group potentially eligible for incapacity benefit might perhaps be a little skewed in the first instance?

What is the expectation for this specific demographic and how does it compare with the observed statistics? Until that question is answered, regardless of the complete evilness of the tories, nobody should be accusing anyone of murder.

As a complete shocker, many apparently healthy people have been observed over the years popping their clogs entirely unexpectedly without any assistance from the government.
  • Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    It's shaping up to be the biggest scandal the country has ever seen in the modern age.

The Conservatives should really have gotten rid of Iain Duncan Smith years ago, he's a complete nutcase and liability.

Its not really a scandal, everybody dies.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    nomad2king wrote: »
    How many people with the same criteria died under Labour?

predictable

however you can correct me if i am wrong , but if we are in agreement this identifies a flaw in the process then surely the way to improve the process is to ensure the views of qualified and experienced medical professionals are not over-ruled by less qualified staff working for someone like ATOS and that the overall process was not being made MORE punitive meaning more people are likely to be added to this "statistic"
  • Options
    Mark_Jones9Mark_Jones9 Posts: 12,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The reports figures look bad.

Total ESA with a WCA decision of “fit for work” who died within 14 days of their benefit being stopped 2,380

Total receiving ESA who had completed an appeal following a WCA decision of “fit for work” who died 1,340

Total who were assessed as Work Related Activity Group (expected to take appropriate measures to return to work in the future), who died within a year of their WCA decision 7,200

But according to the report
    Any causal effect between benefits and mortality cannot be assumed from these statistics
    nothing can be gained from this publication that would allow the reader to form any judgement as to the effects or impacts of the Work Capability Assessment

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/456359/mortality-statistics-esa-ib-sda.pdf
  • Options
    AristaeusAristaeus Posts: 9,974
    Forum Member
    4,000 people died within 6 weeks of being passed fit for work.

If you're 6 weeks away from death, you are not fit for work.

This is why they are known as the nasty party.
  • Options
    RichievillaRichievilla Posts: 6,179
    Forum Member
    Fullfact's take on the figures:

https://fullfact.org/economy/dwp_publishes_benefit_claimant_deaths-47572

No doubt people from both sides will be cherry picking figures but, as Fullfact say, great care should be exercised when interpreting the figures.

The definitive conclusions that I have drawn are that there is clearly a serious issue with a significant number of people being incorrectly assessed, that this is an issue that existed before the chaos caused by Duncan Smith, and that Duncan Smith, who firstly denied that such figures are collated and then procrastinated over publishing them, is not "fit for work"!

I certainly think that we need an urgent independent review of the WCA and the sanctions regime. I don't think there is any doubt that there are major problems that are causing suffering to many people. I am sure that these problems have been a contributory factor in many deaths but I think it is irresponsible for anyone to say that the DWP or Duncan Smith were "the" cause of these deaths. The main cause will, invariably, be the underlying health condition although that does not excuse the behaviour of the DWP who have blighted the final days of many seriously ill people. We certainly need more empathy and compassion in the system that deals with seriously ill and disabled people.
  • Options
    Rastus PiefaceRastus Pieface Posts: 4,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    How many people the DWP murdered you mean? Or drove to their deaths with chronic and illegal abuse?

I very much doubt any government is ever going to publish such an opinion...

Unless you have something else in mind.

if thats the kind of emotive language you want to use, then yes. how many? and isn't murder when you delibarately set out to kill someone? i doubt very much that that is the aim of the DWP. so, it'll be zero then, surely?

mimik1uk wrote: »
    nice try at deflection but i dont think that was the main point being made

i think what these figures do is further undermine the credibility of the WCA process if someone is being found "fit for work" and then pops their clogs

the whole point of the OP (in my opinion) is to insunuate that all these people have died purely because of the decisions and actions of the DWP. to me, anyone who uses someones death for political gain, is lower than a snakes belly in a wheel rut.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    the whole point of the OP (in my opinion) is to insunuate that all these people have died purely because of the decisions and actions of the DWP. to me, anyone who uses someones death for political gain, is lower than a snakes belly in a wheel rut.

sorry but you will have to point out to me where the OP said that as all i can see is a reference to the statistics of people dieing after being found "fit for work" which implies a problem with them having been found "fit for work"
  • Options
    MorlockMorlock Posts: 3,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How many people with the same criteria died under Labour? Why did nobody ask that before?

Nobody asked because Labour openly published the figures and didn't try to deny they existed as the Tories did.
  • Options
    Mark_Jones9Mark_Jones9 Posts: 12,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The DWP has kept stats on it for a long time but they generally have not been released. The Government has almost simultaneously published the following report to coincide with the FOI reply on number of deaths to put it into context.

The report chooses to show a graph and omit the lower figures for all the Labour years except 2003 a high which has 45,220 deaths and splits the figure for 2013 into three totals, those three totals for 2013 add up to 73,870.

The report then goes on to use age standardization death to try and show deaths declining, but if you look at the general population age standardized death rate the disparity between claimants and the general population death rates has increased. Using age standardized death rates in 2003 the highest year for Labour given in the report IB claimants were 2.75x more likely to die than the general public, in 2013 it was 4.3x more likely to die IB, 4.1x more likely to die ESA claimants.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/456240/mortality-statistics-out-of-work-benefit-claimants-summary.pdf

Looking at the above report the references in the FOI report I linked to in my early post which cites this report, are actually misleading.
    As evidenced in those statistics, the mortality rate for out-of-work working age benefit claimants in Great Britain has fallen between 2003 and 2013 in line with the general working age population. Whilst there have been changes to the benefit system and economic climate since 2003, the mortality rate has remained around three times higher than for the general population
    https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/456359/mortality-statistics-esa-ib-sda.pdf
  • Options
    AristaeusAristaeus Posts: 9,974
    Forum Member

Could you provide a link showing that everybody dies within 6 weeks of being passed fit for work please.
  • Options
    Betty SwollaxBetty Swollax Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

the whole point of the OP (in my opinion) is to insunuate that all these people have died purely because of the decisions and actions of the DWP.

Whaaaat! All I did was copy and paste a couple of the headlines that I linked to. I made no other remarks, comments, personal insinuations or assumptions whatsoever. >:(
    Don't shoot the messenger!!
  • Options
    BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,666
    Forum Member

Hey you have a point. Let's save a ton of cash by doing away with hospitals. After all everyone dies
  • Options
    nomad2kingnomad2king Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    The 2,650(2,380 ESA+ 270 IB/SDA) figure is from a total of 81,140(50,580 ESA+30,560 IB/SDA). Strange that from the 50,580 ESA figure, 7,540 died before being even assessed, ie ATOS hadn't seen them. How can DWP or ATOS be blamed for those?

From the wording in the report the deaths were of people who were still receiving ESA, IB or SDA at the date of their death.
    Table 2.3 Total number of individuals who flowed off ESA whose date of death was at the same time(3) and of those the number with a WCA decision of “fit for work”, Great Britain: December 2011 to February 2014
    The reason for "flowing off" ESA would have been their death. That suggests that although some were found "fit for work", they were still receiving ESA as the decision was under appeal.