Options

Birmingham - why does it exist?

Comments

• Options
    ArtfulDodger81ArtfulDodger81 Posts: 965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cas1977 wrote: »
    I'm not so sure that this person did get it so wrong. After all, there must have been something in it in order for him to report on it in the first place. It's not something that you would idly make up out of thin air is it?

I doubt that person permits what gets put on the news anyway, that would have been someone elses decision.

And why on earth are there so many islamic schools in Birmingham if there wasn't a high population of muslims there?

At least those schools were reported on anyway.

I think he used a far right website to get his facts from memory.
    Yes there are muslims birmingham hence there being a few faith schools, the schools you mention were not faith schools.

The way you worded your penultimate paragraph in my opinion shows you class Birmingham as a hell hole due to muslims...I think Birmingham is fantastic and the muslims have a huge part to play in that.
  • Options
    sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I visit Birmingham once a month or so. I like shopping in the Bullring and Primark. I also visit Jamie's Italian for lunch if I'm with my sister. The German market at Xmas is lovely.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,607
    Forum Member
    I have no idea.
    Well, just consider that there are perhaps around 3 million Muslims in Britain. The vast majority are clearly not walking around in burqas.
    I read many times people are prone to keep repeating the term "tiny minority" etc. I don't get all this "tiny minority" business....If they were such a tiny minority, how comes there are so many mosques in Englands cities. I heard there were more than several in Luton!

That does sound quite extreme for a minority number of muslims living in England.

When people use the term "tiny minority", they are generally referring to the number of Muslims who are violent extremists, rather than the number of Muslims in Britain.
  • Options
    Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,818
    Forum Member
    Ben_Caesar wrote: »
    A city of over 1 million people, Britain's second biggest city by population. With a city that big, what does it have to offer? Their two most 'famous' exports other than their crappy football clubs are Ozzy Osbourne and Jasper Carrot. That's EMBARASSING for a city that big. Everyone rightly mocks their silly accent and the place has become a multi-culty hell hole.

I wouldn't say it's the Detroit of Britain but it's not a particularly good place either. It's just a mediocre city. And there's nothing in life that irritates me more than mediocrity.

Cities in the UK that are smaller than Birmingham like Manchester, Leeds, Edinburgh, Newcastle and Liverpool all punch above their weight. Birmingham produces nothing of real relevance. And especially compared to other global cities of a similar size like Barcelona, Calgary and Adelaide, Birmingham is pitiful ^_^

Birmingham is one of the four assay offices. BSA guns (the prooving house still checks them) City of a thousand trades etc

Only Ozzy Osbourne and Jasper Carrot - rather ignores the rest of Black Sabbath. Moody Blues, ELO, Duran Duran, the CBSO regarded as one of the worlds finest who perfom in one of the top five rated acoustic venues in the world.

Michelin Star restaurants, Jaguar Cars.

Actually I'll just stop there
  • Options
    Peter_BlondePeter_Blonde Posts: 306
    Forum Member
    jjwales wrote: »
    The point is that he was claiming that Brum is a 'totally Muslim city'. Clearly ridiculous, and of course he got it wrong.

No one claimed that.

However you can always escape that reality by claiming, ''that is what it sounded like he meant..''

Liberals, lol. :D
  • Options
    Sport1Sport1 Posts: 8,819
    Forum Member
    No one claimed that.

However you can always escape that reality by claiming, ''that is what it sounded like he meant..''

Liberals, lol. :D

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/jan/11/fox-news-steven-emerson-birmingham-muslims
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DianaFire wrote: »
    I began my degree in '84 after a year out, and it wasn't fantastic then. Wasn't bad either, but it had less to offer than it does now. The centre was pretty run down - it had character as far as I was concerned, but that's pretty subjective. It seemed to stay in the 60s/70s a lot longer than most major areas.

I spent 'chunks' of my early life in brum, back in the 60's town planers knocked down thousands of houses, put up high rise blocks...made a real mess of the city.

Things have improved a lot over the last decade or two, good and positive development. I had fantastic School days (Dieu et Mon Droit) but as the second city we lagged behind in many areas, thankfully its moving onwards and upwards.

I rent out properties in Edgbaston, Harborne and Moseley but have no need visit really (property management company does the work) but my son may be working there next year so I'll get to eat good curry again :)
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not so sure that this person did get it so wrong. After all, there must have been something in it in order for him to report on it in the first place. It's not something that you would idly make up out of thin air is it?
    Except that he did (or at least his sources did).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-30773297
    sarahj1986 wrote: »
    The German market at Xmas is lovely.
    Not so much if it stands between your office and the train station. Just when I thought Paradise Forum was as bad as it could get along came the bloody German Market. I sometimes felt like I should have a siren strapped to my head along with a sign saying 'I'm a commuter. Shift yer arse or get walked over"

Thankfully soon after I switched to a different train station and could commute along a nice quiet canal path.
  • Options
    Assa2Assa2 Posts: 10,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Birmingham & Ridley Scott - I wonder what the OP will pick next for their irrational hatred.
  • Options
    Sport1Sport1 Posts: 8,819
    Forum Member
    Assa2 wrote: »
    Birmingham & Ridley Scott - I wonder what the OP will pick next for their irrational hatred.

Anything where muslims can be drawn into the discussion after about 12 posts.
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Obviously there isn't anything in that post relating to muslims, else you wouldn't have reposted it. But yes, there was a post regarding something along the lines of "muslim multi culty hell hole" something like that.

Apologies as I don't know how to repost other posters posts.

That's OK: here's the quote. The post you're talking about was the OP and it didn't even mention the word Muslim.
    Everyone rightly mocks their silly accent and the place has become a multi-culty hell hole.
    We're seeming to get stuck on the subject of what has anything of this got to do with Birmingham? All I can see is that Birmingham is being targeted simply because of the large numbers it contains of muslims. Hence this thread regarding Birmingham.

But the word wasn't even mentioned in the OP. That's what is so staggering. 'Birmingham - why does it exist' could never be answered by 'Because of the Muslims'.

If people want a thread about Muslims in Birmingham, why not start one instead of hijacking this?
  • Options
    MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's OK: here's the quote. The post you're talking about was the OP and it didn't even mention the word Muslim.

But the word wasn't even mentioned in the OP. That's what is so staggering. 'Birmingham - why does it exist' could never be answered by 'Because of the Muslims'.

If people want a thread about Muslims in Birmingham, why not start one instead of hijacking this?

Yeah, the OP moved it from a Birmingham-bashing thread to a Muslim-bashing thread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    I spent 'chunks' of my early life in brum, back in the 60's town planers knocked down thousands of houses, put up high rise blocks...made a real mess of the city.

Things have improved a lot over the last decade or two, good and positive development. I had fantastic School days (Dieu et Mon Droit) but as the second city we lagged behind in many areas, thankfully its moving onwards and upwards.

I rent out properties in Edgbaston, Harborne and Moseley but have no need visit really (property management company does the work) but my son may be working there next year so I'll get to eat good curry again :)

It really has improved up there and I was very fond of the old version. I'm glad it's happened - great for the people and the businesses.

I used to work at the Bell in Harborne, near the church. So villagey around there, or it was, at any rate.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and a curry visit. Amazing stuff.
  • Options
    FlowesFlowes Posts: 7,015
    Forum Member

It seems to me that, that was always the intention....it was never really about Birmingham.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sport1 wrote: »
    Anything where muslims can be drawn into the discussion after about 12 posts.

:):)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flowes wrote: »
    It seems to me that, that was always the intention....it was never really about Birmingham.

Perhaps with the 'multi culty' phrase, the OP is a bit bothered that not everyone in Birmingham is white?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was hoping this would be turned into a 'which curry house is best in birmingham?' thread
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was hoping this would be turned into a 'which curry house is best in birmingham?' thread

It used to be Adil's but I don't even know if it's there any more.

Recommendations would be good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Purnima (think thats how its spelt)
    Grammen Khana in Balti Triangle

Not a fan of Lasans btw
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Perhaps with the 'multi culty' phrase, the OP is a bit bothered that not everyone in Birmingham is white?

Hmmmm, interesting point. If everyone were white would Birmingham still be "dreary" I wonder
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Britain is a 'post-Christian' country says former Archbishop Rowan Williams.

Confessions of a useless archbishop
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just feel a bit cheesed off about the weird direction of the thread.

Birmingham is undervalued, but still loved.
  • Options
    Ben_CaesarBen_Caesar Posts: 307
    Forum Member
    Muggsy wrote: »
    Yeah, the OP moved it from a Birmingham-bashing thread to a Muslim-bashing thread.
    Flowes wrote: »

No, it's still very much a 'Birmingham bashing thread' if you want to call it that. I've called out everything I've disliked about the city from its architecture (Prince Charles once ripped into the old Central Library. Maybe he should do the same to the new one lol) to its jihadists who've settled there. Remember the Trojan Horse plot to introduce extremist Islamic teachings in schools? That was in Birmingham. There's a big extremist problem in Birmingham considering how many terror cases often revolve around Muslims in Birmingham. All the while that majority 'peaceful' Brummie Muslims (and Muslims in general) play the victim card. They immediately did this when the Trojan plot came to light in predictable fashion.
  • Options
    Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate it. I've been there quite a few times, for work purposes and also to visit friends. I find it as dull as dishwater. It feels very industrial and there's just no atmosphere. The Bull Ring and shopping areas I don't think are anything special...I mean they're nice, but London and Manchester have shopping centres just as good. I don't think Birmingham has any redeeming features.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ben_Caesar wrote: »
    No, it's still very much a 'Birmingham bashing thread' if you want to call it that. I've called out everything I've disliked about the city from its architecture (Prince Charles once ripped into the old Central Library. Maybe he should do the same to the new one lol) to its jihadists who've settled there. Remember the Trojan Horse plot to introduce extremist Islamic teachings in schools? That was in Birmingham. There's a big extremist problem in Birmingham considering how many terror cases often revolve around Muslims in Birmingham. All the while that majority 'peaceful' Brummie Muslims (and Muslims in general) play the victim card. They immediately did this when the Trojan plot came to light in predictable fashion.

Really? Because your post is 118 words long. A colossal 81 of them are bashing Muslims.

I think the posters who suggested this may have been the plan all along were right. I'll leave you to it.