Options

migrants

Comments

• Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,586
    Forum Member
    I feel sorry for the kids, even when families are safely within the borders of Europe and over a thousand miles from Syria/Afganistan/Wherever, they do something utterly stupid like stuff them in the back of an air tight refrigeration lorry with 70 other folk, this incident must prove beyond doubt that asylum and safety is not their priority but to get to a specific country for financial gain which is NOT the same as seeking asylum!

You've got completely the wrong target here. It's the traffickers who are stuffing adults and children in a refrigeration lorry. It's the traffickers who are solely interested in financial gain rather than the safety of the poor unfortunate people they are transporting.
  • Options
    wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    You've got completely the wrong target here. It's the traffickers who are stuffing adults and children in a refrigeration lorry. It's the traffickers who are solely interested in financial gain rather than the safety of the poor unfortunate people they are transporting.

Yes I also hate the traffickers but if someone told you and your family to get into the back of an airtight lorry when you were already in a safe country, would you? I know I wouldn't!
  • Options
    duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/travelling-in-europe-s-river-of-migrants-1.2332134

this is a very interesting read.While I have no time for economic migrants who would sell their granny to get what they want and will destroy camps and destroy economies to please themselves
    But this article brings it home that among them are refugees fleeing for their lives
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duckylucky wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/travelling-in-europe-s-river-of-migrants-1.2332134

this is a very interesting read.While I have no time for economic migrants who would sell their granny to get what they want and will destroy camps and destroy economies to please themselves
    But this article brings it home that among them are refugees fleeing for their lives

So Raad from Baghdad just wants to "go anywhere safe" and yet he's in Greece which IS safe, so what he really means is I "I want to go somewhere safe that will house and feed me", right?
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It was a very interesting read, and I agree, some are fleeing for their lives. The obvious problem is that there are just too many of them coming over in uncontrollable numbers. The front line countries are becoming overwhelmed. Once Hungary's border is fully sealed, there will be backflow, which will merely ramp up the problem in such places as Greece and Macedonia. The border sealing and strengthening will then - of necessity - extend to those countries as well.

It was always the case that once one or two countries started sealing their borders, a domino effect will cascade downwards.
  • Options
    Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In 20 years' time and with the population of the UK nearing 100 million, this thread will still be going with users quibbling over semantics. Classic!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So Raad from Baghdad just wants to "go anywhere safe" and yet he's in Greece which IS safe, so what he really means is I "I want to go somewhere safe that will house and feed me", right?

Even they realise that Greece is in no position to shelter thousands
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even they realise that Greece is in no position to shelter thousands

As soon as they leave a safe country they are economic migrants, they don't want to stay anywhere in Southern Europe not just Greece, are we in a position to shelter thousands in the UK with our housing shortage, over crowded schools, over burdened NHS?
  • Options
    liftmasterliftmaster Posts: 674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As soon as they leave a safe country they are economic migrants, they don't want to stay anywhere in Southern Europe not just Greece, are we in a position to shelter thousands in the UK with our housing shortage, over crowded schools, over burdened NHS?

According to certain people on here, easily.

I wonder if they have private health care.
  • Options
    *animasana**animasana* Posts: 1,712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw a report on Sky News which showed some of these people on their state-of-the- art mobile phones, using various social media to advise other incoming boatloads where to head for/places and pitfalls to avoid, etc.

A kind of Trip Advisor service, I guess...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Did I say you should .? This crises has to be dealt with before they ever reach the EU IMO
  • Options
    jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    The problem is some are genuinely running from war and chaos, some are economic migrants and there is probably a grey area inbetween.
    Whatever - it needs a global management strategy. Just because Europe is the most convenient point of entry/goal doesn't mean it should be left to Europe to deal with it.
    What is the UN doing - apart from mouthing platitudes?

The UNHCR (the part of the UN dedicated to helping refugees) does a huge amount

"Today, a staff of more than 9,300 people in 123 countries provides protection and assistance to nearly 55 million refugees, returnees, internally displaced and stateless people. A further 5.1 million registered refugees are being looked after in the Middle East by the UN Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees."

That is nearly the population of the UK that they are trying to provide/organise shelter; food; medical care; education; work etc.

The problem in Europe is severe - but one reason the UN say 'do more' is that they have a funding gap of $2.85 billion.. so cannot provide proper support for the 4 million Syrian refugees in Jordan, Lebanon and Turkey and the other 3.5 million they are helping within Syria itself.
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't think it's that simple.

The biggest factor is probably language - most of the world has better English as a second language than any other. So maybe it's Britain's colonial past biting us in the backside now.

And also knowing of people in a particular country.

I think a lot of people seem to think there are no migrants stopping in any other European country, that they literally all come to the UK. But that's not the case at all. There are far more migrants stopping in the rest of Europe than are trying to get in to the UK.

No-one answered my earlier question though:

Why are there any illegal immigrants if they can come here legally and, I quote, "get everything handed to them on a plate"?

This just seems counter intuitive to me.

Someone must know though....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Another question for you on this.

Suppose the UK was the nearest safe country.

Would you argue that the UK should take in everyone, or would you expect other countries to take in a share?

I'm guessing not in a million years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In 20 years' time and with the population of the UK nearing 100 million, this thread will still be going with users quibbling over semantics. Classic!

Even if it continued at the current high levels for 20 years, which in itself is highly unlikely, that would only add 6m in 20 years, not 30m +.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jesaya wrote: »
    The UNHCR (the part of the UN dedicated to helping refugees) does a huge amount

"Today, a staff of more than 9,300 people in 123 countries provides protection and assistance to nearly 55 million refugees, returnees, internally displaced and stateless people. A further 5.1 million registered refugees are being looked after in the Middle East by the UN Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees."

That is nearly the population of the UK that they are trying to provide/organise shelter; food; medical care; education; work etc.

The problem in Europe is severe - but one reason the UN say 'do more' is that they have a funding gap of $2.85 billion.. so cannot provide proper support for the 4 million Syrian refugees in Jordan, Lebanon and Turkey and the other 3.5 million they are helping within Syria itself.

How would people who rely on The Daily Mail for information about immigration, and would never dream of actually looking into what the UN are doing, ever know about that sort of thing?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »
    I don't think it's that simple.

The biggest factor is probably language - most of the world has better English as a second language than any other. So maybe it's Britain's colonial past biting us in the backside now.

And also knowing of people in a particular country.

I think a lot of people seem to think there are no migrants stopping in any other European country, that they literally all come to the UK. But that's not the case at all. There are far more migrants stopping in the rest of Europe than are trying to get in to the UK.

No-one answered my earlier question though:

Why are there any illegal immigrants if they can come here legally and, I quote, "get everything handed to them on a plate"?

This just seems counter intuitive to me.

Someone must know though....

The UK isn't the only English speaking country in the world though. Most of those also have a lot more space than we do.

Do you know how many migrants the USA, Canada, Australia & New Zealand have offered to take?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    The UK isn't the only English speaking country in the world though. Most of those also have a lot more space than we do.

Do you know how many migrants the USA, Canada, Australia & New Zealand have offered to take?

It's a combination of factors - if we're talking predominantly about illegal migrants from Africa then the UK is clearly the nearest country which is both safe and English speaking.

I would have thought that much was obvious.

Maybe it would surprise you to know that there are more illegal immigrants from Central America in the US than there are in the UK or New Zealand. Maybe for the same reason, or maybe because they haven't heard about the whole "getting everything handed to them on a plate" in the UK thing. Who knows for sure though. Just my best guess.

On the subject of proximity to safety, if the UK was the nearest safe country, would you argue that the UK should take everyone?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a combination of factors - if we're talking predominantly about illegal migrants from Africa then the UK is clearly the nearest country which is both safe and English speaking.

I would have thought that much was obvious.

Maybe it would surprise you to know that there are more illegal immigrants from Central America in the US than there are in the UK or New Zealand. Maybe for the same reason, or maybe because they haven't heard about the whole "getting everything handed to them on a plate" in the UK thing. Who knows for sure though. Just my best guess.

On the subject of proximity to safety, if the UK was the nearest safe country, would you argue that the UK should take everyone?

Yes, but if the UN is taking as much interest as touted earlier, then why isn't it also arranging for safe passage to other countries, such as those I mentioned? Sorry, I'm still not getting it.

I'm pretty sure that if they were arranging for safe passage to English speaking countries outwith of Europe's borders, the Daily Mail would be reporting it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why, would you?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, but if the UN is taking as much interest as touted earlier, then why isn't it also arranging for safe passage to other countries, such as those I mentioned? Sorry, I'm still not getting it.

I'm pretty sure that if they were arranging for safe passage to English speaking countries outwith of Europe's borders, the Daily Mail would be reporting it.

You don't get why a lot of migrants / refugees head for the closest, safest country where language will be the least barrier to them?

Well, if we're talking about refugees, let's look at some actual data:

refugees by country of destination

2010-2014

US - 4,761,000
    UK - 142,000
    Canada - 100,000
    New Zealand - 17,000
    Greece - 92,000
    France - 98,000
    Germany - 175,000

The UN are doing a lot, but arranging for safe passage for the huge numbers involved is, I suspect, a pretty big ask.

I also doubt very much that the Mail would ever report anything that wasn't hyperbole laden scaremongering, because that's the Mail's MO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why, would you?

I don't see how my view would have any relevance to your view.

But since you ask, no.

Why, would you?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, if we're talking about refugees, let's look at some actual data:

refugees by country of destination

2010-2014

US - 4,761,000
    UK - 142,000
    Canada - 100,000
    New Zealand - 17,000
    Greece - 92,000
    France - 98,000
    Germany - 175,000

The UN are doing a lot, but arranging for safe passage for the huge numbers involved is, I suspect, a pretty big ask.

I also doubt very much that the Mail would ever report anything that wasn't hyperbole laden scaremongering, because that's the Mail's MO.

If the USA has taken 4,761,000, then Afghanistan has taken 2,556,556 multiplied by 1000 = 2556556000
    :o:o:o

based on your reading of the table :D:p:kitty:
  • Options
    jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    How would people who rely on The Daily Mail for information about immigration, and would never dream of actually looking into what the UN are doing, ever know about that sort of thing?

In fairness, they do (the DM)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/afp/article-2864829/UN-wants-countries-180-000-Syrian-refugees.html

but they tend not to talk so much about the financial assistance that could offset that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see how my view would have any relevance to your view.

But since you ask, no.

Why, would you?

Well if you ask a question which is manifestly absurd, then expect it to be rebounded back at you for your view.
This discussion has been closed.