Options

migrants

Comments

• Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    If the USA has taken 4,761,000, then Afghanistan has taken 2,556,556 multiplied by 1000 :o:o:o

If the decimal point is in the wrong place, presumably you still get the point about the relative figures between the countries.

Or maybe not, if your only response is about the decimal point.

Put it this way, if you were a refugee from North Africa, with some English, but no other second language.

Where would you head for out of:

A. USA
    B. Canada
    C. UK
    D. New Zealand
  • Options
    jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    calico_pie wrote: »
    You don't get why a lot of migrants / refugees head for the closest, safest country where language will be the least barrier to them?

Well, if we're talking about refugees, let's look at some actual data:

refugees by country of destination

2010-2014

US - 4,761,000
    UK - 142,000
    Canada - 100,000
    New Zealand - 17,000
    Greece - 92,000
    France - 98,000
    Germany - 175,000

The UN are doing a lot, but arranging for safe passage for the huge numbers involved is, I suspect, a pretty big ask.

I also doubt very much that the Mail would ever report anything that wasn't hyperbole laden scaremongering, because that's the Mail's MO.

That link is taking me to country of origin, not destination..

http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SM.POP.REFG/countries

Does that one work?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well if you ask a question which is manifestly absurd, then expect it to be rebounded back at you for your view.

It's not absurd though. Why do you think it is? Is it because the answer is obviously yes, or obviously no?

The argument is often made that migrants should stop in the closest safe country rather than continue on to the UK.

The question is perfectly reasonable, as I suspect most people would give a different answer depending on whether or not the UK was the closest safe country.

That may, or may not, be why you chose not to give an answer.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the decimal point is in the wrong place, presumably you still get the point about the relative figures between the countries.

Or maybe not, if your only response is about the decimal point.

Put it this way, if you were a refugee from North Africa, with some English, but no other second language.

Where would you head for out of:

A. USA
    B. Canada
    C. UK
    D. New Zealand

There's no decimal points in the table figures, merely whole numbers. But based on your interpretation, the USA has taken 4,761,000, whilst Afghanistan has taken 2556556000, using the same logic.

I think you might need to re-appraise your analysis somewhat.

I'm sorry but I can't debate with someone who hasn't even bothered to check that what they are quoting is consistent and accurate data.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There's no decimal points in the table figures, merely whole numbers. But based on your interpretation, the USA has taken 4,761,000, whilst Afghanistan has taken 2556556000, using the same logic.

I'm sorry but I can't debate with someone who hasn't even bothered to check that what they are suggesting is serious data.

I have already posted the correct table - I had to look twice myself because the one that was originally posted is where refugees come from, and I saw '142' next to the UK... it never occurred to me that there were any refugees *from* the UK.

Anyway, to repeat, here is the correct data table.

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm sorry but I can't debate with someone who hasn't even bothered to check that what they are quoting is consistent and accurate data.

Whatever was wrong with the table wasn't obvious.

Either way, you seem to be avoiding answering questions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whatever was wrong with the table wasn't obvious.

Either way, you seem to be avoiding answering questions.

It was blindingly obvious. It's basic maths. There isn't even anything to debate.

I've pointed out the obvious mathematical flaw yet you are still arguing about it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jesaya wrote: »
    I have already posted the correct table - I had to look twice myself because the one that was originally posted is where refugees come from, and I saw '142' next to the UK... it never occurred to me that there were any refugees *from* the UK.

Anyway, to repeat, here is the correct data table.

That's more like it. Thanks :)

So back to my question - why can't some of the other English speaking countries in the world accept more migrants. Relative to the respective sizes of the UK and USA, for example, the USA could take a lot more.
  • Options
    duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think it's that simple.

The biggest factor is probably language - most of the world has better English as a second language than any other. So maybe it's Britain's colonial past biting us in the backside now.

And also knowing of people in a particular country.

I think a lot of people seem to think there are no migrants stopping in any other European country, that they literally all come to the UK. But that's not the case at all. There are far more migrants stopping in the rest of Europe than are trying to get in to the UK.

No-one answered my earlier question though:

Why are there any illegal immigrants if they can come here legally and, I quote, "get everything handed to them on a plate"?

This just seems counter intuitive to me.

Someone must know though....

Much of Greece speaks English as a second language especially the holiday destinations these migrants are rocking up too. They dont think Greece can look after them probably, tough sh*t. That's where they are and they are safe. What ever they have in Greece is still a million times better than being bombed in Syria.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the subject of proximity to safety, if the UK was the nearest safe country, would you argue that the UK should take everyone?
    Well if you ask a question which is manifestly absurd, then expect it to be rebounded back at you for your view.
    It's not absurd though. Why do you think it is? Is it because the answer is obviously yes, or obviously no?

The argument is often made that migrants should stop in the closest safe country rather than continue on to the UK.

The question is perfectly reasonable, as I suspect most people would give a different answer depending on whether or not the UK was the closest safe country.

That may, or may not, be why you chose not to give an answer.

It's absurd because obviously the answer is no - so why ask it?
  • Options
    duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/government-hits-back-at-merkels-claim-ireland-not-doing-enough-in-migrant-crisis-31486753.html

We saw this on the News last night .Must say anyone I know reaction was Piss Off Merkel and mind your own business
  • Options
    Musicman103Musicman103 Posts: 2,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    We're not a "soft touch". If people come here illegally they don't get benefits.

So how do they live?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So how do they live?

They get accommodation and £35 per week grant through private companies hired by the government to look after them. Not technically benefits but still from the public purse. They can still access healthcare and education for their kids too. But it looks good to say they dont get to claim benefits.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    duckylucky wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/government-hits-back-at-merkels-claim-ireland-not-doing-enough-in-migrant-crisis-31486753.html

We saw this on the News last night .Must say anyone I know reaction was Piss Off Merkel and mind your own business

That's appalling. The Irish government and people are just getting back on their feet after a very difficult time. Merkel needs to stop telling other countries what they need to do, she was even mouthing of at Australia a few months ago.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    So the actual behaviour doesn't matter, just the legality? :confused:

Did I say that? No. I was commenting on the fact that a scummy neo nazi had posted a video with the heading "illegal immigrants".
    Was their agenda as vile as the rape of thousands of vulnerable white girls?

Don't be absurd! Is a question like that really necessary?
    Alan1981 wrote: »
    Unfortunately some people see the molestation of children an acceptable price to pay to ensure the multicultural dream is maintained.

Are you inferring I'm one of "some people"? It certainly looks that way. I would appreciate an answer to that question.

Just for the record I've never been stupid enough to have a multi cultural dream or ever supported unfettered immigration. Apart from the economic facts, human nature doesn't allow for such impossibilities. Nor do I think that anyone entering Europe this way should be allowed to stay.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    duckylucky wrote: »

I agree. She's probably just damned furious because the EU can't force any country to do as she dictates.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,627
    Forum Member
    Alan1981 wrote: »
    Unfortunately some people see the molestation of children an acceptable price to pay to ensure the multicultural dream is maintained.

Don't be absurd.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    duffsdad wrote: »
    They get accommodation and £35 per week grant through private companies hired by the government to look after them. Not technically benefits but still from the public purse. They can still access healthcare and education for their kids too. But it looks good to say they dont get to claim benefits.

That is what asylum seekers get - they are not illegal immigrants.

Illegal immigrants get no benefits so they have to find work.
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    Another one. Hopefully they'll survive this time.

Austrian police find three children in critical condition in vehicle carrying 26 migrants
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-34095949
  • Options
    Forum Member
    duffsdad wrote: »
    Much of Greece speaks English as a second language especially the holiday destinations these migrants are rocking up too. They dont think Greece can look after them probably, tough sh*t. That's where they are and they are safe. What ever they have in Greece is still a million times better than being bombed in Syria.

If Greece cannot feed them or give them shelter then they are not safe though - which is one of the main reasons they leave camps in Turkey/Jordan/Lebanon. Of course they could be detained in Greece but that country would need support to maintain them. Better surely to ensure that the refugee centres in neighbouring countries have the facilities needed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »

Why the wink? It's hardly amusing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    Another one. Hopefully they'll survive this time.

Austrian police find three children in critical condition in vehicle carrying 26 migrants
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-34095949

This is bloody dreadful.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

My bad, it looks like I just looked at the wrong table - nothing to do with my interpretation, analysis or maths. You could have just said that.

So looking at the correct table:

Gives the following figures for :

US - 263,662
    France - 232,487
    Germany - 187,567
    Canada - 160,349
    UK - 126,055
    New Zealand - 1,403

The end point seems to be pretty much the same.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My bad, it looks like I just looked at the wrong table - nothing to do with my interpretation, analysis or maths. You could have just said that.

So looking at the correct table:

Gives the following figures for :

US - 263,662
    France - 232,487
    Germany - 187,567
    Canada - 160,349
    UK - 126,055
    New Zealand - 1,403

The end point seems to be pretty much the same.

I was interested to note that the UK number is dropping year on year, and the others are rising.
This discussion has been closed.