Options

Possibly something put in my drink on saturday night?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
Forum Member
Hi

Looking for some advice as i think my drink may have been spiked on Saturday night.

Me and my partner had a few friends round our house on Saturday night for a housewarming party and i had two glasses of wine and ended up throwing up and passing out (not saying i'm a big drinker but I've drank more than two glasses of wine in the past and been fine). My partner and my best friend had to put me to bed and stayed with me all night as they were worried about me.

My stomach is still very sore today and i still feel sick.

Because everyone there was supposed to be friends i don't want to believe that someone could have done that to me in my own house.

Is it possible it was definitely spiked or could there be any other reason for this happening to me?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    pfgpowellpfgpowell Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    Hi

Looking for some advice as i think my drink may have been spiked on Saturday night.

Me and my partner had a few friends round our house on Saturday night for a housewarming party and i had two glasses of wine and ended up throwing up and passing out (not saying i'm a big drinker but I've drank more than two glasses of wine in the past and been fine). My partner and my best friend had to put me to bed and stayed with me all night as they were worried about me.

My stomach is still very sore today and i still feel sick.

Because everyone there was supposed to be friends i don't want to believe that someone could have done that to me in my own house.

Is it possible it was definitely spiked or could there be any other reason for this happening to me?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Obviously something was amiss, but it doesn't necessarily mean your drink was spiked. For one thing ask yourself why someone might even want to do it. Were you the only one to drink from that bottle of wine? Had you eaten something which might not have reacted well. And, I ask because I've had similar experiences in the past, were you smoky waccy baccy? There could be any number of causes and explanations.
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ever heard of a sickness bug? Its more likely to be that.
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pfgpowell wrote: »
    Obviously something was amiss, but it doesn't necessarily mean your drink was spiked. For one thing ask yourself why someone might even want to do it. Were you the only one to drink from that bottle of wine? Had you eaten something which might not have reacted well. And, I ask because I've had similar experiences in the past, were you smoky waccy baccy? There could be any number of causes and explanations.

Or had they eaten very little, meaning the alcohol drunk would have had a much greater effect?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    pfgpowell wrote: »

im not saying it definitely was i dont know for sure, i was the only one drinking from that bottle of wine. It could have been something id eaten but hadnt made anything id not eaten before and i dont touch drugs at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Evo102 wrote: »
    Or had they eaten very little, meaning the alcohol drunk would have had a much greater effect?

Id eaten all day and had dinner before i started drinking as i wont drink if i havent eaten.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Croctacus wrote: »
    Ever heard of a sickness bug? Its more likely to be that.

Yes i have heard of a sickness bug and id felt fine all day.

my partner told me i was saying to him that i couldn't see and then i passed out. Ive never had that with a sickness bug before.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi

Me and my partner had a few friends round our house on Saturday night for a housewarming party and i had two glasses of wine and ended up throwing up and passing out .......

Why are you even considering that a friend would do such a spiteful and dangerous thing?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 104
    Forum Member

my partner told me i was saying to him that i couldn't see and then i passed out. Ive never had that with a sickness bug before.

I dont think "not being able to see" sounds like being spiked, unless you meant blurred.

Anyone else of these friends experience anything similar? And how long have you known them - any practical jokers in amongst them?
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Whether you'd felt fine all day is neither here or there. Any sickness has to start at some time. Also if you were the only one to drink from that bottle of wine there could be every chance the wine was to blame.
  • Options
    modeyinkmodeyink Posts: 2,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's more than likely something you ate, OP. A dodgy bit of chicken or whatever. Just because you've eaten the same meals before it doesn't mean this time something couldn't have been undercooked or on the turn. You might have been getting ill prior to drinking and the wine just exacerbated it. Or if you were the only one drinking that particular bottle of wine, it might have been a bad batch. Or you could've picked up a tummy bug from somewhere and it's all a coincidence.

I agree that 2 glasses of wine shouldn't make you blind drunk -- it's no more than an average person would drink over dinner. But I'd say the chances of it being spiked are fairly low considering a) they were all friends, and b) what did the person gain from it? Your partner was with you all night.

ETA: If you're really concerned and convinced you've been drugged, then get down to the doctor's for a blood test. It might not be too late to find whatever it is in your system. It's the only way to put your mind at rest if you're very worried.
  • Options
    yeahbuddyyeahbuddy Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You say housewarming so are you possibly stressed with the move and the little things like getting your house ready for guests. You may have also caught a bug, eaten something about dodgy or you just generally weren't well. I have been ill after drinking a couple of glasses before because I was tired and hadn't eaten anything.
    Also have you had that wine before? Is it new or possibly cheap, I'm only asking as some wines can have some nasty ingredients an possibly you didn't react well to them. You might have just had an allergy to the wine.

If you still feel poorly after a couple of days pop to the doctors and see what they say
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I dont think "not being able to see" sounds like being spiked, unless you meant blurred.

Anyone else of these friends experience anything similar? And how long have you known them - any practical jokers in amongst them?

i think it was blurred vision that i meant but as i cant remember my partner talking to me and putting me to bed im going off what i was saying to him.

I havent known them long but my partner has known them a few years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thank you for all the advice and suggestions, i'm going to see how i feel tomorrow and if i still dont feel right im going to ring docs and just get checked out.

It probably was just something i ate or a bug or it could have been the wine itself.

Also im not saying they drugged my drink or anything they could have put some other alcohol in it without me knowing as a joke and thats what made me sick and pass out.

I just wanted some advice as ive been so confused about what happened.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've known a few people claim that "there must have been something in my drink" after getting legless.
    Sorry if that's a bit blunt, but adults spiking each others drinks for a laugh sounds far fetched.

I've been affected after very little alcohol because I was totally knackered beforehand and I really can hold my drink.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've known a few people claim that "there must have been something in my drink" after getting legless.
    Sorry if that's a bit blunt, but adults spiking each others drinks for a laugh sounds far fetched.

I've been affected after very little alcohol because I was totally knackered beforehand and I really can hold my drink.

I can assure you 2 glasses of wine does not result in me being legless i have drank and i wasnt knackered
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can assure you 2 glasses of wine does not result in me being legless i have drank and i wasnt knackered

Then you conclude that someone deliberately put a substance in your drink?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Then you conclude that someone deliberately put a substance in your drink?

No that was just a possibility as other people have replied there are a few things it could have been but having experienced my best friend being spiked by my partners brothers so called friend and me having pretty much the same reaction as she did the thought crossed my mind and hers as well.

Ill never know for sure what it was unless the doctors can pick up anything.
  • Options
    scottlscottl Posts: 1,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No that was just a possibility as other people have replied there are a few things it could have been but having experienced my best friend being spiked by my partners brothers so called friend and me having pretty much the same reaction as she did the thought crossed my mind and hers as well.

Ill never know for sure what it was unless the doctors can pick up anything.

I'm sure people sometimes do that (spike your drink). Maybe they think it will cheer someone up - it doesn't - if you put things into you body without knowing what they are then you tend to have strange results. I'd say the most common spike is ecstacy (other than vodka).

If I even have one pint of a certain lager the night goes bad - and yet some of my so called friends still swap it in without telling me. I've started culling friends now.
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe the prawn ring was past its best???
  • Options
    scottlscottl Posts: 1,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe the prawn ring was past its best???

Might easily be that

I'm suspicious when I get a huge high followed by two days of lows - or an anger outburst (that'll be the wifebeater which i cannot ever drink)
  • Options
    Rae_RooRae_Roo Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had drinks spiked in a pub and club on two occasions in my late teens/early 20s. In the one instance I had one of bottle beer, then made my way to the toilet, where I passed out, came round and phoned my friend... Apoarently I was garbled, making no sense, they came and got me and took me home, I had no memory of the evening, and was just relieved my friend came and got me. I was an undergrad student at the time, and out with a newish group...

I'd always look to the most common reasons first, illness etc... I know in my case, the fact I had one drink, had memory loss, and apparently had to be virtually carried out the place made it pretty clear cut.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I dont eat prawns i hate them. It could be many things i just wish i knew.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rae_Roo wrote: »
    I had drinks spiked in a pub and club on two occasions in my late teens/early 20s. In the one instance I had one of bottle beer, then made my way to the toilet, where I passed out, came round and phoned my friend... Apoarently I was garbled, making no sense, they came and got me and took me home, I had no memory of the evening, and was just relieved my friend came and got me. I was an undergrad student at the time, and out with a newish group...

I'd always look to the most common reasons first, illness etc... I know in my case, the fact I had one drink, had memory loss, and apparently had to be virtually carried out the place made it pretty clear cut.

I have looked at the possibility of illness and other things but i know for sure that i only had to glasses of wine as i was still on my first glass of wine and still sober when my best friend arrived at my house as she had travelled down from essex to stay the weekend and i left the room for about 10-15 mins as i was upstairs with her showing her the room and talking to her, we then went downstairs i finished the glass of wine id left and then poured another one and drank that, it was after that i started to feel unwell and then was sick and passed out later on.

It is possible that in the 10-15 mins i was out of the room that someone did something to my drink.
  • Options
    MonsterMunch99MonsterMunch99 Posts: 2,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have looked at the possibility of illness and other things but i know for sure that i only had to glasses of wine as i was still on my first glass of wine and still sober when my best friend arrived at my house as she had travelled down from essex to stay the weekend and i left the room for about 10-15 mins as i was upstairs with her showing her the room and talking to her, we then went downstairs i finished the glass of wine id left and then poured another one and drank that, it was after that i started to feel unwell and then was sick and passed out later on.

It is possible that in the 10-15 mins i was out of the room that someone did something to my drink.

Surely if these people are your friends then you should know whether you can trust them or not?
  • Options
    SweetAngelxSweetAngelx Posts: 489
    Forum Member

Melanie, if you are feeling better now then I would try and forget this unpleasant experience and put it down to bad luck :)

You will never know if someone tampered with your drink or not so you cannot openly accuse anyone, and it could just as easily of been due to a stomach bug.

The lesson learnt here is to guard your drink at all in times at future to ensure you are always safe :)