Options

Nick Grimshaw - His Rapid Rise Why?

vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,769
Forum Member
✭✭
He comes across as annoying but his rise to fame has been rapid but why?

And what does he actually know about Music!

Comments

• Options
    Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    vaslav37 wrote: »
    what does he actually know about Music!

It's not what you know.

Do you think Fearne Cotton would have got where she did if she were part of Dot Cotton's family rather than Billy Cotton's?
  • Options
    vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It must be his sparkling personality then!
  • Options
    dellzinchtdellzincht Posts: 1,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Quite a lot, seeing as how he's a pretty popular Radio 1 DJ.

Or was before X Factor, I dunno. I can't stand the bloke.
  • Options
    twellstwells Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dellzincht wrote: »
    Quite a lot, seeing as how he's a pretty popular Radio 1 DJ.

Or was before X Factor, I dunno. I can't stand the bloke.

Nor I. Saw a clip of X-Factor and he was on it. How old is he, 8? i 'd rather ask my kid brother for advice. He at least plays the guitar.
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Beats me!!

Hope his fall is as rapid.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    twells wrote: »
    Nor I. Saw a clip of X-Factor and he was on it. How old is he, 8? i 'd rather ask my kid brother for advice. He at least plays the guitar.

He does one across as kinda thick! (Grimmy not your little bruv!:D)
  • Options
    twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

A lot more than a lot of reality tv show judges. He had a late night show for a couple of years on radio one and played some very good new music. He didn't just get the breakfast gig from no where.. When on form he can be very witty . I am not sure the breakfast show suits him though . I reserve judgement on x factor until the lives
  • Options
    mintchocchipmintchocchip Posts: 16,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a bit baffled as to how he has attracted such hostility. He's not my favourite DJ but I don't think he's all that offensive .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a bit baffled as to how he has attracted such hostility. He's not my favourite DJ but I don't think he's all that offensive .
    Hes a vapid fame ****.

He seems utterly transfixed & hypnotised by celebrity & being surrounded by famous people, who he relentlessly brown noses.

He seems absolutely desperate to appear cool.

He's a cringy social climber.

His radio show is Dull, dull, DULL.

He's bitchy about "ageing" celebs yet is 31, old enough to be the Dad of some of the demographic R1 are trying to court.

He stuffs it with his same set of friends who he RELENTLESSLY bangs on about ad nauseum. (Rita Ora, ASAPRocky, 1d etc)

He is neither funny, nor charming, or clever on his radio show. he's boring to be honest.
    It's all about his dog, going to the gym, the latest celeb he brown nosed, then hyping some lame ass song to death (he has very different musical tastes to me cos a lot of stuff I rate he doesn't and vica versa)
  • Options
    FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is he really as hollow as it seems or has he decided/been made to dumb down a lot for what Radio 1 want? I had heard reasonably good things before his breakfast gig but on it he just seems like the most dull, vapid, uninteresting and yet irritating person. If this is really what is supposed to attract young people, then as an under-25 I'm offended.
  • Options
    SpaceCakeSpaceCake Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    boddism wrote: »
    Hes a vapid fame ****.

He seems utterly transfixed & hypnotised by celebrity & being surrounded by famous people, who he relentlessly brown noses.

He's bitchy about "ageing" celebs yet is 31, old enough to be the Dad of some of the demographic R1 are trying to court.

He stuffs it with his same set of friends who he RELENTLESSLY bangs on about ad nauseum. (Rita Ora, ASAPRocky, 1d etc)

He is neither funny, nor charming, or clever on his radio show. he's boring to be honest.
    It's all about his dog, going to the gym, the latest celeb he brown nosed, then hyping some lame ass song to death (he has very different musical tastes to me cos a lot of stuff I rate he doesn't and vica versa)

This :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 356
    Forum Member
    I was blissfully unaware of him before he went on the X-Factor but now I see why everyone has been moaning about him all these years. He is appallingly bad and extremely annoying. He is one of the worst things about the programme.
  • Options
    Los_TributosLos_Tributos Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does seem strange that his reward for losing a load of listeners since taking over from Chris Moyles is to be given a part on one of the biggest shows on TV.
  • Options
    qwerty_1234qwerty_1234 Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There seems to be a bandwagon of hating Nick - it's easier to jump on that than actually open your mind and give him a chance.

I think he's quite natural, he's good a good sense of humour and he knows his stuff without shoving it down your throat (like Zane Lowe does). I think he'll win people round (not that anyone will admit to it ;) )
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 57,062
    Forum Member
    It's not what you know.

Do you think Fearne Cotton would have got where she did if she were part of Dot Cotton's family rather than Billy Cotton's?

Who does he know?
  • Options
    ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nick's lovely. For all the talk of brown-nosing, the reason he's got so many celebrity friends, is actually because he's just really easy to get on with.

He does have a good knowledge of music, he did the 10 till midnight slot for a while, where he was playing a fair amount of decent new music.

Being honest though, he probably has never had a huge amount of influence over the music he plays..

I don't particularly think he's had a rapid rise, he's been around for a fair while now..l remember him from T4.
  • Options
    CallousCallous Posts: 11,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nick's lovely. For all the talk of brown-nosing, the reason he's got so many celebrity friends, is actually because he's just really easy to get on with.

He does have a good knowledge of music, he did the 10 till midnight slot for a while, where he was playing a fair amount of decent new music.

Being honest though, he probably has never had a huge amount of influence over the music he plays..

I don't particularly think he's had a rapid rise, he's been around for a fair while now..l remember him from T4.

So do I. I used to watch T4 all the time...until he appeared.

T4 was a big success for Channel 4. Broadcast in 1998,1999,2000,2001,2002,2003,2004,2005,2006,2007,2008,2009..

.. in 2010 Nick Grimshaw joined the team...it limped along through 2011....cancelled and put out of its misery in 2012.

He has the golden touch.:D
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

He joined Radio 1 in 2007, so not that rapid. Working in the industry he probably knows quite a bit about music.
  • Options
    PuterkidPuterkid Posts: 9,798
    Forum Member
    Hes a vapid fame ****.

Other than this though, he's brilliant:p
  • Options
    wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A ruthless PR department. ;)
  • Options
    Sweet FASweet FA Posts: 10,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Beats me!!

Hope his fall is as rapid.
    Callous wrote:

T4 was a big success for Channel 4. Broadcast in 1998,1999,2000,2001,2002,2003,2004,2005,2006,2007,2008,2009..

.. in 2010 Nick Grimshaw joined the team...it limped along through 2011....cancelled and put out of its misery in 2012.

He has the golden touch.
    Never listened to R1 and don't watch X-Factor but this thread, or rather some of the comments in it have given me a good chuckle - cheers!:D:D:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 356
    Forum Member
    There seems to be a bandwagon of hating Nick

Or maybe people genuinely just don't like him?

I found him to be totally void of any charisma or even basic likability, desperate, and with a really annoying voice and mannerisms. The fact that he's an ageist barsteward when it comes to what he'll play on his radio show doesn't help.

I don't think people are such sheep they'll dislike (the word "hate" is thrown around far too lightly when it comes to threads like this) someone just because a bunch of faceless strangers do.
  • Options
    ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Callous wrote: »

He has the golden touch.:D

I've actually seen him while I've been on nights out, as I said, he's a lovely guy.

His television/radio personality is quite immature, so I understand it can grate for some people. I'm a little immature myself, so I kind of get him.

Also, for what it's worth, he stole his hair style from me:p.
  • Options
    CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hes a vapid fame ****.

Completely agree. He also seriously creeps me out. My idea of personal Hell would be being stuck in a lift with him and John Barrowman (see related thread :D). And yes I appreciate their idea of Hell could be being stuck in a lift with me! :D
  • Options
    FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Maybe the rapid shift to having to brown nose and big up the likes of Rita Ora is what has put people off. He does know his stuff, he can do better but he's putting on an act to capture Radio 1's new target demographic of vapid people.