Options

Scottish Holyrood elections 2016 who to vote for to get SNP out?

linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,704
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm guessing Labour but could the others form a colliton to keep the SNP out of a majority?

Where does everybody think the seats will go this time? Is there any hope of stopping the SNP surge keeping the power?

Comments

• Options
    BrawladBrawlad Posts: 5,711
    Forum Member
    I do not think there is much chance in stopping the SNP surge, to be honest
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brawlad wrote: »
    I do not think there is much chance in stopping the SNP surge, to be honest

55% who voted no could vote alternatives.

I'm sure I read half of Scotland voted others in May but the SNP still sweeped all those seats. Some as you probably know were not lost by much.
  • Options
    BillyJamesTBillyJamesT Posts: 2,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New poll puts support for independence at 55%,,, No is 45%,,

Sorry 53%

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/politics/new-poll-shows-majority-backing-for-scottish-independence-1.897944
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New poll puts support for independence at 55%,,, No is 45%,,

The same polls told us indpendance could win. The same ones said the Torys wouldn't win a majority. SNP are not silly enough to hold another vote tomorrow as they wouldn't be sure it would be a yes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps they should be using these new powers to the best and running Scotland better rather than constantly focusing on indpendance. They couldn't convince us last time and have done nothing to make me change my mind.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The same polls told us indpendance could win. The same ones said the Torys wouldn't win a majority. SNP are not silly enough to hold another vote tomorrow as they wouldn't be sure it would be a yes.

Well we couldn't actually have one tomorrow, or anytime this year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps they should be using these new powers to the best and running Scotland better rather than constantly focusing on indpendance. They couldn't convince us last time and have done nothing to make me change my mind.

What new powers? Its actually the media and unionist parties who have been focusing on independence since last September, and some pollsters.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alex Salmond will be the guest on STV, Scotland Tonight. Should be good.
  • Options
    D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here's a thought. Vote for a party that has policies that you believe in? I feel your pain though, you don't have much choice on that. I do feel that part of Labour and the Lib Dem's downfall in Scotland is a lack of a coherent alternative to the SNP policies rather than being "not the SNP".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D_Mcd4 wrote: »
    Here's a thought. Vote for a party that has policies that you believe in? I feel your pain though, you don't have much choice on that. I do feel that part of Labour and the Lib Dem's downfall in Scotland is a lack of a coherent alternative to the SNP policies rather than being "not the SNP".

The Labour and Lib Dems problem is they can't be trusted, the Tories biggest problem in Scotland is that they can be trusted.

Half of Scotland wants independence they don't all support SNP, and not all SNP supporters favour independence. But support for independence still has the momentum.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    I would support a party that I believe in and feel confident in...so SNP for me Im afraid
  • Options
    Cloudy2Cloudy2 Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    Unless there is a major scandal the SNP will easily gain most of the first past the post seats and a few list msps another majority is pretty much a certainty.

Tactical voting won't happen in enough numbers this time to make a difference but it might in 2021.

A third term is usually a governments downfall so if they want another independence vote they should hold it as soon as possible.

It would also be good for Scotland if we actually had an opposition because at the moment the only opposition is the print media.
  • Options
    BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,606
    Forum Member
    Cloudy2 wrote: »
    Unless there is a major scandal the SNP will easily gain most of the first past the post seats and a few list msps another majority is pretty much a certainty.

Tactical voting won't happen in enough numbers this time to make a difference but it might in 2021.

A third term is usually a governments downfall so if they want another independence vote they should hold it as soon as possible.

It would also be good for Scotland if we actually had an opposition because at the moment the only opposition is the print media.

Dunno have you seen the posts about tactical voting and how it is almost impossible to do in the SNP Watch thread? Worth a look but it takes a few readings to grasp it all.....well it did me anyway
  • Options
    CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member

Or anytime for the next 20 years.
  • Options
    iwearoddsocksiwearoddsocks Posts: 3,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP is a Scottish Tory....you can almost feel his pain. :(
  • Options
    Black SheepBlack Sheep Posts: 15,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Or probably the next 9 years or so.
  • Options
    Black SheepBlack Sheep Posts: 15,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cloudy2 wrote: »

I think that the other parties are weak at getting the message out of the SNP failures while at the same time the SNP has somehow managed to become the party of government and the party of agitation.

Until then it's SNP all the way:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen many in Scotland now change there mind on voting SNP hope the shift continues and Labour come back.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've seen many in Scotland now change there mind on voting SNP hope the shift continues and Labour come back.

What poll did you see that in?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BanglaRoad wrote: »
    What poll did you see that in?

None just public opinions and let's not laugh and joke about polls they said it would be a Yes and they also said the Torys wouldn't win a majority. Maybe time to stop relaying on poll data?

The latest EU poll today says 51% want to leave wonder what the SNP's response will be?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    None just public opinions and let's not laugh and joke about polls they said it would be a Yes and they also said the Torys wouldn't win a majority. Maybe time to stop relaying on poll data?

The latest EU poll today says 51% want to leave wonder what the SNP's response will be?

Make your mind up. You slag off polls then you quote one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BanglaRoad wrote: »
    Make your mind up. You slag off polls then you quote one.

They mean nothing but since the SNP relay on poll data maybe they will have something to say on the EU?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They mean nothing but since the SNP relay on poll data maybe they will have something to say on the EU?

Since all parties rely on polling don't know why you are singling out the SNP. Probably will say nothing about this poll as there will be hundreds of polls between now and whenever the referendum might be.
  • Options
    The infidelThe infidel Posts: 3,826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Conservatives will begin to make a comeback in Scotland. The SNP are no longer seeking separation because they know full well that economic collapse will occur within months and this was the situation even before the start of the demise of the North Sea oil industry. Since the SNP have 'lost their bottle' a new hard line nationalist party will emerge such as 'scottish left' and they will take up the nationalist cause. Many current SNP supporters will become disilusioned and without a functioning Labour party to rejoin they will naturaly join the Conservatives who have succesfully positioned themselves as the party of working people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The Conservatives will begin to make a comeback in Scotland. The SNP are no longer seeking separation because they know full well that economic collapse will occur within months and this was the situation even before the start of the demise of the North Sea oil industry. Since the SNP have 'lost their bottle' a new hard line nationalist party will emerge such as 'scottish left' and they will take up the nationalist cause. Many current SNP supporters will become disilusioned and without a functioning Labour party to rejoin they will naturaly join the Conservatives who have succesfully positioned themselves as the party of working people.

You were coming out with this stuff before the GE, you were wrong then and you are wrong now. The Scottish Tories the party of working people!:D