Options

Bookies odds shifting in the Labour Leadership race

HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
Forum Member
Take a look at @MrHarryCole's Tweet: https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/639393938705657856?s=09

Apparently only about half of people eligible to vote in the Labour party contest so far have and Yvette Coopers odds are improving overtaking Burnham again.

There's no denying that Yvette has been admirable this week showing courage over the migrant crisis

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    Take a look at @squareintheair's Tweet: https://twitter.com/squareintheair/status/639439958164508673?s=09

And again -Cooper definitely has momentum with this drastic increase in her favour
  • Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    So the odds on who will come 2nd are fluctuating?
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Take a look at @MrHarryCole's Tweet: https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/639393938705657856?s=09

Apparently only about half of people eligible to vote in the Labour party contest so far have and Yvette Coopers odds are improving overtaking Burnham again.

There's no denying that Yvette has been admirable this week showing courage over the migrant crisis

What "courage" has Yvette shown over the migrant crisis? All she's done is say the UK should take in 10,000 Syrians. Hardly courageous!
  • Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    wizzywick wrote: »
    What "courage" has Yvette shown over the migrant crisis? All she's done is say the UK should take in 10,000 Syrians. Hardly courageous!

No more courageous than she and her cohorts who let millions of them in between 1997 and 2010.
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I thought it especially commendable that she invited an migrant family to live with Ed Balls and herself and feed them.
  • Options
    JayyKJayyK Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    Maybe early polling has leaked.

I admire Cooper though. She said something people would show outrage over, many on the Right have, but then the dead baby happened and suddenly most of the Right Wing media (in particular The Sun) have woken up found a conscience and are in agreement with her.

I think the issue is that Britain has only took in 200 people from Syria while Germany is taking tens of thousands. I feel embarrassed.
  • Options
    tony321tony321 Posts: 10,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its the rest of the rubbish she comes out with that is the problem
  • Options
    JayyKJayyK Posts: 423
    Forum Member

She as a mother has spoken directly to other mothers and caused a mood change.

Girl power
  • Options
    Forum Member

I'm referring to political courage something Cameron and Osborne are lacking.
    I think you knew I was referring to political courage and the leadership that accompanies it.
    This is not an issue for forum flippancy. The specific meaning of political courage is well understood on political forums.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Caxton wrote: »
    I thought it especially commendable that she invited an migrant family to live with Ed Balls and herself and feed them.

I think this is inappropriate and a bit cheap tbh on such a sensitive issue especially as Yvette Cooper hasn't called on UK families to have refugees come and live in their own spare bedrooms and personally house them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Elyan wrote: »
    No more courageous than she and her cohorts who let millions of them in between 1997 and 2010.

Deary me more confusion and conflation between asylum seekers and immigrants
  • Options
    DotheboyshallDotheboyshall Posts: 40,583
    Forum Member
    Elyan wrote: »
    We let millions of Syrians in?

Wondered why it was easy to get Mahshi & Kibbeh these days
  • Options
    FruityLoopyFruityLoopy Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you knew I was referring to political courage and the leadership that accompanies it.
    This is not an issue for forum flippancy. The specific meaning of political courage is well understood on political forums.

I've found the Right on here are always so angry, aggressive and genuinely don't seem to care about anyone or anything beyond their own personal interests. They also don't seem to understand this is a refugee crisis.

I agree with you that Cooper has shown leadership even if her view was likely to make her unpopular but at least she had the balls (no pun intended) to actually step up and say something rather than issuing soundbites about how 'terrible' it is while burying your head in the sand the way Cameron has in the hope it will go away so that the far right of his party won't get upset.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've found the Right on here are always so angry, aggressive and genuinely don't seem to care about anyone or anything beyond their own personal interests. They also don't seem to understand this is a refugee crisis.

I agree with you that Cooper has shown leadership even if her view was likely to make her unpopular but at least she had the balls (no pun intended) to actually step up and say something rather than issuing soundbites about how 'terrible' it is while burying your head in the sand the way Cameron has in the hope it will go away so that the far right of his party won't get upset.

An excellent post.

There's lots of conflating between asylum and immigration amongst the media and public and taking a lead against widely held damaging assumptions is a mark of political courage in my opinion.
  • Options
    FruityLoopyFruityLoopy Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An excellent post.

There's lots of conflating between asylum and immigration amongst the media and public and taking a lead against widely held damaging assumptions is a mark of political courage in my opinion.

The Right Wing media, aided by the Tories, demonized anyone who came here from the EU as lazy benefit thieves robbing from the state. So suddenly all the immigration lines became blurred and the Tories used this to push their own agenda through.

The problem now is that this has all blown up, the public mood is changing and Cameron is like a rabbit caught in the headlights. This is what happens when you tell lies to get elected.
  • Options
    heresittingheresitting Posts: 2,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:D:D:D:D:D

Yeah, and we all know how that's going to pan out don't we....
  • Options
    Tom2023Tom2023 Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've found the Left on here are always so angry, aggressive and genuinely don't seem to care about anyone or anything beyond blaming everything on cameron. They also don't seem to understand this is a refugee crisis created by the EU not having a coherent policy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The Right Wing media, aided by the Tories, demonized anyone who came here from the EU as lazy benefit thieves robbing from the state. So suddenly all the immigration lines became blurred and the Tories used this to push their own agenda through.

The problem now is that this has all blown up, the public mood is changing and Cameron is like a rabbit caught in the headlights. This is what happens when you tell lies to get elected.

Your rapidly becoming my favourite poster on the politics forum as you've got Cameron, Osborne and the company they keep and type of support they court down to a tee!
    Their antics are shameful and I feel they've been shown to be despicable cowards on this issue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Is she concerned that no one in the UK will vote Labour anymore so she's trying to get new voters from abroad?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ah! Political courage! That old cliche! The very fact you accuse me of flippancy is slightly ironic considering this is a thread about betting odds - hardly a groundbreaking subject.

I'm not surprised however that Cooper is beating Burnham. Burnham has shown himself to be out of his depth over virtually everything.

Your comments about Cameron and Osborne, of course even you, being the intelligent person you proclaim yourself to be, will appreciate that politics and political actions of politicians are subjective and never really definitive. You might think of the Tories as you describe, I don't. Doesn't make you right or wrong in the same way it doesn't make me right or wrong.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tom2023 wrote: »
    I've found the Left on here are always so angry, aggressive and genuinely don't seem to care about anyone or anything beyond blaming everything on cameron. They also don't seem to understand this is a refugee crisis created by the EU not having a coherent policy.

We are part of the EU, a leading member were told and yet our contribution on this has been woefully inadequate.
    We are not morally taking our fair share and even some tory MP's are getting vocal about this now making this precise point.

The left perfectly understand that this is a refugee crisis indeed a humanitarian crisis yet you'd never guess that Cameron had figured that out given how few we've offered to take in from the refugee camps.
    Don't tell me it's a refugee crisis that needs all European countries including the UK to take their fare share of the burden -tell Cameron.
  • Options
    the power kingthe power king Posts: 896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This was on Facebook today Vary interesting http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2015/09/03/why-corbyn-might-not-win-the-labour-leadership/ it also Makes a point What i be Saying all long on Facebook , Labour uncut . Digital Spy and on Twitter the Secret Voter they call them the Shie voter
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ah! Political courage! That old cliche! The very fact you accuse me of flippancy is slightly ironic considering this is a thread about betting odds - hardly a groundbreaking subject.

I'm not surprised however that Cooper is beating Burnham. Burnham has shown himself to be out of his depth over virtually everything.

Your comments about Cameron and Osborne, of course even you, being the intelligent person you proclaim yourself to be, will appreciate that politics and political actions of politicians are subjective and never really definitive. You might think of the Tories as you describe, I don't. Doesn't make you right or wrong in the same way it doesn't make me right or wrong.

I haven't proclaimed myself to be intelligent but there are a number of your past posts on here were YOU tell me that you consider me to be intelligent.

Actually political compliments aren't as cut and dry as you make out -I think a number of Conservative politicians over the years have shown political courage and I have no problem saying that despite the fact that I wouldn't vote for them ever.
    One example would be Norman Fowler who pushed through a controversial series of public health adverts in the 1980s when the HIV epidemic shrouded in stigma first emerged. He pressed ahead despite much opposition and the scepticism of Ms Thatcher. The adverts caused a backlash but we're judged to be hugely effective.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IIRC Ed Miliband didn't overtake his brother in the betting markets until the day before the result was announced.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dodrade wrote: »
    IIRC Ed Miliband didn't overtake his brother in the betting markets until the day before the result was announced.

Excellent point -It's not over yet, nothing is definite that's for sure!