Options

Migrant Coverage

Comments

• Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know what to think of this. I'm at work and Sky News just flashed up on my phone with the headline "Cameron to announce plans to allow thousands more refugees in". I understand that it's an awful, awful situation and these people are having to flee their country. However, where the hell are we supposed to put these people? We have enough problems with housing etc as it is. I was born and bred in London, but I think in the next few years I will have moved to another country. We let every tom, dick and harry in. It's absolutely ridiculous. I understand that these people are desperately escaping their country, but we aren't the answer. We should be more like Australia.

There is no way in which this country can become like Australia. Britain is a nation which has a history or colonialism and cultural imperialism across many countries which then created an empire. Australia was indeed a couple it colonised. Equally, Britain has a long history of military intervention which included two World Wars all the way up to Iraq and Afghanistan. Therefore, many citizens across the world see the UK as an symbol of freedom and justice. Once you become involved in another countries political affairs you must see it through until a resolution is created.
  • Options
    sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jesaya wrote: »
    Well, as I said, I am a citizen of this country and therefore part of 'society' - if I am enriched by diversity then my bit of society is therefore enriched too. So yes, if we are talking about UK society (which we were) then it is about me... and you... and all the other people here.

Oh well, if you're 'enriched' with some belly dancing and an authentic Korma, what's there to worry about?^_^
  • Options
    slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BanglaRoad wrote: »
    Oh Britain has been taking a keen interest in other cultures and countries for centuries. So much so that those countries were claimed for the British Empire

Oh yes Imposing British culture on all the colonised nations. The irony about people forcing their ideologies and culture on others. You got to laugh.
  • Options
    Chuck WaoChuck Wao Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The refugees ceased to be refugees and became economic migrants the moment they crossed into the EU and started getting picky about what countries to settle in .
  • Options
    Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,205
    Forum Member
    Electra wrote: »
    Looks like Hungary's had enough

In Budapest, parliament passed a series of laws effectively sealing Hungary’s southern border to migrants – about 140,000 of whom have crossed it so far this year – and creating “transit zones” to hold asylum seekers until their asylum requests are approved and deported if not.

New laws will make it a criminal offence to cross or damage Hungary’s controversial new razor-wire fence along its 108-mile border with Serbia and make illegal border crossings punishable by up to three years in prison.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/sep/04/hundreds-refugees-march-austria-budapest-hungary-syrians
    Razor-wire? Why haven't they electrified it?

Someone's probably already mentioned it, but the majority of the "refugees" seem to be young men, not women and children. Doesn't that ring alarm bells?
  • Options
    jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    No it doesn't work like that but nice try.

Explain then - if people don't make up society then what does?
  • Options
    The_OneThe_One Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rfonzo wrote: »
    There is no way in which this country can become like Australia. Britain is a nation which has a history or colonialism and cultural imperialism across many countries which then created an empire. Australia was indeed a couple it colonised. Equally, Britain has a long history of military intervention which included two World Wars all the way up to Iraq and Afghanistan. Therefore, many citizens across the world see the UK as an symbol of freedom and justice. Once you become involved in another countries political affairs you must see it through until a resolution is created.
    This country took the best of other cultures and knowledge, just like many previous empires we are no different to all other humans and nations in this regard. However, building a vast amount of Mosques is a step backward in this way of thinking, as religion is literally old fashioned so to speak. Its like resurfacing new roads with hardened clay rather than tarmac... a bit of a poor comparison but you catch my drift.
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 139,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The_One wrote: »
    Plenty of dead, homeless and starving British tramps in this country in this country and you seriously want to invite potential sleeper ISIS suicide bombers? disgusting.

A child is dead. No you're the one who is disgusting. A 2 year old. And you think a 2 year old is a suicide bomber. Why do you think the family left - mind boggling. This is a humanitarian crisis
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Someone's probably already mentioned it, but the majority of the "refugees" seem to be young men, not women and children. Doesn't that ring alarm bells?

It probably won't be too long before there's a second, inner fence and a mined strip in between.

The Berlin wall started as one layer of barbed wire.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some of theses people aren't refugees. If they're so desperate then why riot with police ?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/COEJ6tSWsAAbbtr.jpg
    So the dead child is rioting. His father is grieving. It's horrific
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    I appreciate this. Earlier today, on the news, it said that the Hungarians don't want these people. If so, why not just let them have free passage to Germany or Austria as this is what they want? :confused:

Because Austria was complaining about migrants being allowed into their country unchecked.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    slick1two wrote: »
    Oh yes Imposing British culture on all the colonised nations. The irony about people forcing their ideologies and culture on others. You got to laugh.

What like, the notion that the world is actually round rather than flat that religion would have us believe?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    academia wrote: »
    I think they're going graphic to elicit sympathyn and stirnup action. A picture is worth a thousand words. There are so msny figures and stats being bandied about that the reality of the dituation over there is hard to grasp. The reality of the photo strikes that reality home.

So a dead child means nothing to you?
  • Options
    HP.80 VictorHP.80 Victor Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why would anything like this ring alarm bells?

http://i.imgur.com/dVGeO3T.png

TwKFS95.jpg

My Bosnian is a little rusty, but it reads something like "Once a terrorist, now a victim who escapes from the war. A quick shot, and now to Europe."
  • Options
    duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A child is dead. No you're the one who is disgusting. A 2 year old. And you think a 2 year old is a suicide bomber. Why do you think the family left - mind boggling. This is a humanitarian crisis

In all fairness , sorcha , the poor liittle lads family were already safe and living in Turkey
  • Options
    jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    sutie wrote: »
    Oh well, if you're 'enriched' with some belly dancing and an authentic Korma, what's there to worry about?^_^

The things I said I was worried about.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I never said that child was a suicide bomber?
    Right then, lets take these people in, lets see how long it takes before the suicide bombings become more prominent and then so the civil war begins. Then lets see who is disgusting for being so recklessly open minded that all human are angels.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    duckylucky wrote: »
    In all fairness , sorcha , the poor liittle lads family were already safe and living in Turkey

I see your point but an innocent child is dead :(
  • Options
    duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see your point but an innocent child is dead :(

Very sad and very upsetting but it changes nothing . Some of these people are not refugees . Some of these people are breaking laws , some of these people are causing chaos , some are causing unrest
    It has to be stopped before it totally out of control
  • Options
    bbnutnutbbnutnut Posts: 1,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duckylucky wrote: »

Safe and living in Turkey where over one and a half million Syrian refugees have been registered (well done Turkey) and there is the beginnings of civil unrest because the Turks cannot house, shelter and feed any more refugees.
  • Options
    bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So a dead child means nothing to you?

Such emotive blackmail is beneath contempt.

Have you sharpened your pitchfork yet?
  • Options
    All Of MeAll Of Me Posts: 2,032
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jakobjoe wrote: »
    yes. a ukip government would have been better i think.

Voters who didn't vote for them will regret it in the long run.

The UK is becoming less British as everyday goes by we shouldn't let outsiders in especially refugees.
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    Why would anything like this ring alarm bells?

http://i.imgur.com/dVGeO3T.png

TwKFS95.jpg

My Bosnian is a little rusty, but it reads something like "Once a terrorist, now a victim who escapes from the war. A quick shot, and now to Europe."

Is that the same guy in both pics? how can you tell?
  • Options
    DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    Is that the same guy in both pics? how can you tell?

I think the massive scar under his left eye is a bit of a give away :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bbnutnut wrote: »
    Safe and living in Turkey where over one and a half million Syrian refugees have been registered (well done Turkey) and there is the beginnings of civil unrest because the Turks cannot house, shelter and feed any more refugees.
    Exactly.
    And the only Muslim country to offer the biggest helping hand of the Arab states - who ARE fighting ISIS. What about the other Muslim countries?

Meanwhile in Europe... divide and conquer within, its happening because of the softies.
    Humanity is not "there" yet, get that through your self-reclaimed so-called educated heads whom do not have problems of said people living on your doorstep.
This discussion has been closed.