Options

161,000 signed UK Parliament petition - Accept more asylum seekers!

Comments

• Options
    Betty SwollaxBetty Swollax Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zexstream wrote: »

Stop allowing immigrants into the UK.
    1,229 signatures in the last hour

The official parliament petition currently stands at just over 67,000. I still don't think it's going to have the legs to reach a 100,000.
  • Options
    Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    jjwales wrote: »
    But do you really think anything will get done by submitting a badly worded rant to government, rather than a petition with rational and workable suggestions for limiting immigration?

People have been telling the government they have wanted a sensible immigration policy for 15 years now. And what did the government do ? Brand them bigots and racists.

It may not be the most articulately worded petition, but if it reaches a 100000 signatures. The government will have to at least acknowledge that people are worried about the amount of immigration into this Country.
    Of course the fact that nearly 3 times the amount of people voted for UKIP, than for the snp should have told them that.
  • Options
    Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The official parliament petition currently stands at just over 67,000. I still don't think it's going to have the legs to reach a 100,000.

It's too BNP for most folks concerned about this issue. I hope it doesn't get to 100k as it diminishes the discussion on this to ' just racism and xenophobia'. It's too easy to dismiss then.
  • Options
    NodgerNodger Posts: 6,668
    Forum Member
    Yes, daft, isn't it? These people don't seem to be thinking rationally. Why the sudden urge to halt all immigration, when they could just be pressing for a strictly limited number?

I suspect many are thinking rationally and have genuine concerns, it's just other better worded options are not being given the go ahead and everyone gets referred to this poorly written jobbie. In itself the wording will put a lot of people off putting their name to it which makes the numbers it's generating all the more remarkable.

Matters not in my opinion anyway. This whole 'crisis' will be chip wrappings in a month or two, the northern winter will quiet the whole thing down until spring next year and then off we go again. If the flow continues throughout winter or something terrible happens then, well, who knows.
  • Options
    Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alan1981 wrote: »
    People have been telling the government they have wanted a sensible immigration policy for 15 years now. And what did the government do ? Brand them bigots and racists.

It may not be the most articulately worded petition, but if it reaches a 100000 signatures. The government will have to at least acknowledge that people are worried about the amount of immigration into this Country.
    Of course the fact that nearly 3 times the amount of people voted for UKIP, than for the snp should have told them that.

The problem with the wording of that petition is you are loading a gun to be fired directly back at you. It will be dismissed as xenophobia. There are genuine issues/concerns and many people signing it are not racist but that is how it will be interpreted .
  • Options
    mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    How come germany have enough money and resources to accept all these and give them benefits when we can't.
  • Options
    DaewosDaewos Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    Alan1981 wrote: »

And the relevance is? Bear in mind that in Scotland (where the SNP had candidates) the SNP got 50% of the vote against 1.6% for UKIP.
  • Options
    katywilkatywil Posts: 1,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How sad.
    why is it sad?
  • Options
    vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How sad.

How patronising
  • Options
    vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mal2pool wrote: »
    How come germany have enough money and resources to accept all these and give them benefits when we can't.

because the Germans are still wracked with guilt over their past. Having lived there believe me it knows no limits.
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 64,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meanwhile a recent poll shows 49% supporting Cameron's position over the migrant crisis as opposed to 24% supporting Merkel and 64% saying he is right not to sign up to the EU migrant sharing plan, 21% say he is wrong. On the numbers of migrants the UK should accept 29% say none, 7% say 200, 9% say 1,000, 12% say 3,000 and 15% say 10,000, percentages for numbers above that are 4% or less.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3223674/Britain-wants-quit-Europe-Shock-new-poll-shows-EU-no-camp-ahead-time-Cameron-prepares-face-Tory-rebels.html
  • Options
    Jim NashJim Nash Posts: 1,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    I fall somewhere in the middle. I support the UK taking in a manageable amount of refugees from UN camps but am opposed to just allowing unlimited amounts of European migrants in. Perhaps I'm heartless or perhaps I'm just cautious.

I support the least bad of the available options. If that is taking no refugees, I support that. If it's taking 1000 from refugee camps - as opposed to the belligerent, confident, aggressive characters posing as "refugees" with smartphones on the Calais border and also in Hungary and who are obviously not refugees, I support that.

However, turns out we're getting 15K. Happy Day. I wonder if the photo journalist behind the body shot is wishing he'd gone that extra mile, got a good, clear face shot. That'd have got them 45K. Maybe they've got something like that lined up. Maybe a few severed limbs, strategically lined up on another beach, as the first ante in the Bring The World To Europe bargaining war on behalf of the lunatic left.
  • Options
    Wbc-WorkerWbc-Worker Posts: 815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    68,500 signatures
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good. I hope it takes a much more sensible approach.

I posted the exact wording in post 489, a few posts above yours. Because it covers an issue already with a petition, it will almost certainly be rejected. I guess one or two DS regulars will camp out on it's place on the "rejected petitions" page. :D

Ironic in its way, given the quasi-illiteracy of the fist-thumping petition with around 80,000 sigs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wbc-Worker wrote: »
    68,500 signatures

Do you suppose they read it first?
    The UK government need to prevent immigrants from entering the UK immediately! We MUST close all borders, and prevent more immigrants from entering Britain.

No countries have ever had no immigration at all. I'll bet even North Korea has a few Chinese.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    68,607. :)
  • Options
    Jayceef1Jayceef1 Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jim Nash wrote: »
    Do you suppose they read it first?

Hopefully just got to the migration bit and didn't bother with the rest of the twaddle.

Shame if yours doesn't get through. Much better
  • Options
    BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,665
    Forum Member
    Daewos wrote: »
    And the relevance is? Bear in mind that in Scotland (where the SNP had candidates) the SNP got 50% of the vote against 1.6% for UKIP.

Where people had the choice between the SNP and UKIP guess what? UKIP lost their deposit in every single seat. SNP party membership is well over 100,000 whilst UKIP have about 40,000 members so I have no idea why the poster you were replying to brought up the SNP.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a database set up for people who want to offer a room to a Syrian refugee. It's been up for three days and has 2000 offers. That's out of a population of approx 65 MILLION and the organiser says she is staggered by the response. :D:D

A petition to stop Immigration into the UK was on 13,000 yesterday and is now up to nearly 69,000.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    There's a database set up for people who want to offer a room to a Syrian refugee. It's been up for three days and has 2000 offers. That's out of a population of approx 65 MILLION and the organiser says she is staggered by the response. :D:D

A petition to stop Immigration into the UK was on 13,000 yesterday and is now up to nearly 69,000.

I am totally opposed to anyone offering a room for a refugee. It is irresponsible and likely to make our numbers of disappearing illegal immigrants higher.

I am happy to accept and support the settlement of 15 - 20K refugees into the UK, but they need to be housed so that their families can be together and in a way that they can be visited and checked up on by the authorities from time to time. When you get given a council home, for the first year they check on you. The same principal should apply for new refugees. They also need the state to help them to understand our system, to provide them the essentials, to basically help them to become more confident, after all they will be vulnerable people, with possible inflictions that may need addressing.

Just putting them into people's homes could create problems for the state if they disappear, and could also encourage dishonesty from some home owners/tenants as they rent the rooms for state cash but then just kick the refugees out but still claim the money.

If the refugees come, then let's make sure it is done properly - for the sake of the welfare of the refugees and for the citizens of our country.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,607
    Forum Member
    katywil wrote: »
    why is it sad?

Didn't you read the petition? It's sad that anyone would consider signing that appalling bit of nonsense.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am totally opposed to anyone offering a room for a refugee. It is irresponsible and likely to make our numbers of disappearing illegal immigrants higher.

I am happy to accept and support the settlement of 15 - 20K refugees into the UK, but they need to be housed so that their families can be together and in a way that they can be visited and checked up on by the authorities from time to time. When you get given a council home, for the first year they check on you. The same principal should apply for new refugees. They also need the state to help them to understand our system, to provide them the essentials, to basically help them to become more confident, after all they will be vulnerable people, with possible inflictions that may need addressing.

Just putting them into people's homes could create problems for the state if they disappear, and could also encourage dishonesty from some home owners/tenants as they rent the rooms for state cash but then just kick the refugees out but still claim the money.

If the refugees come, then let's make sure it is done properly - for the sake of the welfare of the refugees and for the citizens of our country.

Surely you're not suggesting that these lovely, compassionate people will be CHARGING FOR RENT are you? :o:o:o.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    Surely you're not suggesting that these lovely, compassionate people will be CHARGING FOR RENT are you? :o:o:o.

Of course they will claim for the refugees upkeep - who on earth can afford to support an adult with everything they need aswell as supporting themselves with no additional funding? They will look to the state for some money.
  • Options
    ZeraseZerase Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    They should be directed towards the large and expensive houses of BBC Journalists to live. They seem very keen on the idea of letting anybody and everybody through- with their reporters gushing like a teenage girl at a One Direction concert at every migrant they encounter.
  • Options
    OxygenatedOxygenated Posts: 1,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course they will claim for the refugees upkeep - who on earth can afford to support an adult with everything they need aswell as supporting themselves with no additional funding? They will look to the state for some money.

Well, that puts their 'compassion' into a really different light...

In order words, it's OK as long as someone else is picking up the tab ie. the tax payers.

I read earlier today how the NHS A&E cuts is resulting in deaths. Doesn't anyone connect the dots?