Options

Coffee Shops

wit-hamwit-ham Posts: 145
Forum Member
I'll be blunt.

I'm an old very simple man, and up until now been totally ignorant of all these modern coffee shops you see everywhere.

They seem to have hundreds of varieties of everything all in their coffee speak I do not understand.

How would one go about getting a regular cup of tea or hot chocolate without making an idiot out of oneself? Is it too simple to ask "A hot chocolate please"?

Comments

• Options
    postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never set foot in one, but I should think asking for a hot chocolate would be fine. It's trying to understand the minefield of the coffees that puts me off.
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wit-ham wrote: »
    I'll be blunt.

I'm an old very simple man, and up until now been totally ignorant of all these modern coffee shops you see everywhere.

They seem to have hundreds of varieties of everything all in their coffee speak I do not understand.

How would one go about getting a regular cup of tea or hot chocolate without making an idiot out of oneself? Is it too simple to ask "A hot chocolate please"?

you could ask for Chocolate, Latte or Americano..

or buy a Tassimo with Costa pods..i did
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    postit wrote: »
    I've never set foot in one, but I should think asking for a hot chocolate would be fine. It's trying to understand the minefield of the coffees that puts me off.

you have never been in a coffee shop?
  • Options
    scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you want a white coffee then either ask for that or for an Americano with hot or cold milk.

If you want a very milky coffee ask for a latte.

As for tea, just ask for a cup or pot of tea. If there are options such as the type of tea then these may be offered to you then you can choose what you'd like.

Alternatively click here.
  • Options
    postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Never. I just don't see the appeal for paying over the odds for a cuppa :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    postit wrote: »
    Never. I just don't see the appeal for paying over the odds for a cuppa :(

oh...i normally just get an Americano..nice little treat before work:)
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I bet there are loads of people who have not, some because they do not like coffee and think maybe that is all they sell, some because they just do not want to.

I doubt very much if my Dad have ever been in one.
    I do, normally Neros or a local one
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh...i normally just get an Americano..nice little treat before work:)

Do that every day and the costs soon mount up.£3 a day is £15 a week, £60 a month, £720 a year.

We have free water, tea and coffee at work but you still see people coming into the office with shop bought drinks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Do that every day and the costs soon mount up.£3 a day is £15 a week, £60 a month, £720 a year.

We have free water, tea and coffee at work but you still see people coming into the office with shop bought drinks.

yeah but Klix is like dishwater..
  • Options
    MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    To be fair, for someone who isn't into coffee that much and doesn't understand italian, going in can be a bit of a minefield. I remember my first time I went into one after a tiring day and I didn't understand any of the menu. I just wanted a coffee so rather than display my ignorance I just ordered an espresso as I heard it on a TV programme once. When I saw a tiny cup with a pathetic little dribble in it I was well disappointed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair, for someone who isn't into coffee that much and doesn't understand italian, going in can be a bit of a minefield. I remember my first time I went into one after a tiring day and I didn't understand any of the menu. I just wanted a coffee so rather than display my ignorance I just ordered an espresso as I heard it on a TV programme once. When I saw a tiny cup with a pathetic little dribble in it I was well disappointed.

haha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6QqSxmpRMM
  • Options
    Miss C. DeVilleMiss C. DeVille Posts: 6,045
    Forum Member
    I'd just ask for an ordinary white or black filter coffee, which is about the nearest to an ordinary coffee you'd make at home.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd just ask for an ordinary white or black filter coffee, which is about the nearest to an ordinary coffee you'd make at home.

I took my mum into a Starbucks when we were out shopping. I told her that the had lots of types of coffee so she went to the counter and asked for a Nescafe.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    I took my mum into a Starbucks when we were out shopping. I told her that the had lots of types of coffee so she went to the counter and asked for a Nescafe.

Good for her ..... I can't be doing with all this snobbishness over coffee.:D My old Mum likes a milky coffee and asks for that and then they say "do you mean a Latte?" We both say "yes, a milky coffee." ;-)

I have almost given up getting a nice cappuccino now because it is invariably too strong. There are very few places who can get it right for my taste.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to be exactly the same as you and I also worried about going in and looking silly really.

Can't go wrong with hot chocolate, it's the size that is confusing. If you take out then the hot chocolate can be huge even when it's a small one!. I ask to see the cup if they're not on view or the plastic/paper cups.

Here's a link to help you with the coffee. http://caffenero.co.uk/coffee/coffee_01.aspx

ps do not buy tea from Starbucks under any circumstances. It is vile tasting and doesn't taste anything like normal English tea. It's got a horrid herbal/flowery spicy aftertaste.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    Good for her ..... I can't be doing with all this snobbishness over coffee.:D My old Mum likes a milky coffee and asks for that and then they say "do you mean a Latte?" We both say "yes, a milky coffee." ;-)

I have almost given up getting a nice cappuccino now because it is invariably too strong. There are very few places who can get it right for my taste.

Don;'t ever ask for a latte in Italy or you'll get wierd looks and a cup of milk!
  • Options
    wampa1wampa1 Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate coffee shops. Even more so up here. People sound like right wallies ordering a cappuccino in a thick Lancashire accent.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hot chocolate
    you'll just get "with or without marshmallows, and with or without fluffy cream"

"instant type" coffee is probably an Americano with milk

do you have a waitrose nearby. Sign up for one of their store cards, and get a free cappuccino or latte every day. Nice
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don;'t ever ask for a latte in Italy or you'll get wierd looks and a cup of milk!

Isn't it a caffè latte - literally a milky coffee?

However coffee in a British coffee shop tastes different (and worse) from coffee in Italy. Not sure why - it just doesn't taste like coffee, whereas in Italy it does.
  • Options
    rjb101rjb101 Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    Isn't it a caffè latte - literally a milky coffee?

However coffee in a British coffee shop tastes different (and worse) from coffee in Italy. Not sure why - it just doesn't taste like coffee, whereas in Italy it does.

We burn the beans in this country. People seem to want it that way otherwise Costa wouldn't be so successful.
  • Options
    Gregg-Pieman9Gregg-Pieman9 Posts: 32,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does prefering a coffee from greggs or costa make me a snob, because I don't like coffee in the house
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    wit-ham wrote: »
    I'll be blunt.

I've never stepped into one either. Is there a reason you want to at this point?

There are plenty of other places to get coffee. Small cafes, supermarket cafes, fast food restaurants, little bars.
    Probably have the same list but not as extensive and probably more easy going if you simply ask for a white coffee or hot chocolate.
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    I sometimes go on away sports trips with my son, and we stp at services.

I take a flask of coffee from home.
    I bought the flask, and filled it, for less than the price of a single cup at one of these places,
    and it lasts me all day.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Must admit that I avoided what I thought of as the Yuppie Coffee Shops for years.....

But I eventually tried Pret and got a Cappucino

It was nice and I used to get one regularly to take home

But when the recession hit I thought it was ridiculous paying a couple of quid for coffee which I was carrying home and drinking at home.......when I could make perfectly good coffee in my cafeteria for a few pence a cup...

I've never gone back even when business picked up again
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rjb101 wrote: »
    We burn the beans in this country. People seem to want it that way otherwise Costa wouldn't be so successful.

Depends on where you go. We have a local cafe/coffee shop that uses the same beans I do which are roasted localish, the beans are not burnt and you do notice the difference. The best coffee in Hereford, just a shame it is a little out of the way.