Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 65)

Comments

• Options
    Andy_Smith1Andy_Smith1 Posts: 4,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    It's OK for either of them to do so if they so wish (however much it isn't in the BBC's interest to attack commercial shows). However I'm not going to stand for the whole innocence routine that the BBC were "avoiding the football" and not engineering a clash with TXF. I'm still waiting for someone to explain why the BBC would originally schedule Strictly for 7pm when the football was known about for months if they supposedly moved Strictly to avoid it.

You already know the answer though? I doubt anyone who says anything different to what you already think is true will be right in your eyes anyway.

And people on this forum do realise none of you are heads of TV stations, your writing on an internet forum
  • Options
    MarkynottsMarkynotts Posts: 5,255
    Forum Member
    And? ITV didn't break any obligations with their schedule on Saturday. You made that claim to deflect attention from the fact that you had no response to my question.

I wasn't aware that prime time was so early in the day now.

What question was that exactly ?

Please explain why ITV have orchestrated clashes with other BBC programmes and it is acceptable for this to happen on a regular occurrence.
  • Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    According to Broadcast, the England game on Saturday got 3.4m (23.5%)
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Markynotts wrote: »
    I wasn't aware that prime time was so early in the day now.

What question was that exactly ?

As I've previously explained, PSB obligations DO NOT require a peak time news broadcast EVERY day.

The question was to do with Strictly at 7pm but I think you knew that.
  • Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    You already know the answer though? I doubt anyone who says anything different to what you already think is true will be right in your eyes anyway.

And people on this forum do realise none of you are heads of TV stations, your writing on an internet forum

Not true jlp95 is Peter Fincham!:o
    Suffers from the same selective memory syndrome.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    As I've previously explained, PSB obligations DO NOT require a peak time news broadcast EVERY day.

The question was to do with Strictly at 7pm but I think you knew that.

But is 4pm near Peak Time which is part of their obligation ?

Still no answer I see from you regarding the scheduling of other ITV programmes, I wonder why ?

I think if you watch the recent debate between the heads of the respective channels, it will show the reason why Strictly, quite right moved.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Markynotts wrote: »
    But is 4pm near Peak Time which is part of their obligation ?

Still no answer I see from you regarding the scheduling of other ITV programmes, I wonder why ?

I think if you watch the recent debate between the heads of the respective channels, it will show the reason why Strictly, quite right moved.

10:30pm is near peak time which ends at exactly that time as defined by the PSB rules.

ITV and BBC can schedule programmes as they wish but the claims of innocence on either side are ridiculous. Your question is quite a general one so I don't know what you want me to say.
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    It's OK for either of them to do so if they so wish (however much it isn't in the BBC's interest to attack commercial shows). However I'm not going to stand for the whole innocence routine that the BBC were "avoiding the football" and not engineering a clash with TXF. I'm still waiting for someone to explain why the BBC would originally schedule Strictly for 7pm when the football was known about for months if they supposedly moved Strictly to avoid it.

I am very confused now. If its ok for either of them to do so if they wish why have you spent so many days on here moaning about the BBC for doing it?
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,710
    Forum Member
    So now we have TXF officials - they comparisons year-on-year are no way as bad as originally thought.

Take the first episode for example: It was down 1.9m y-o-y (inc +1) - but now we have the officials - it is down 1.0m overall. This year it did make up a lot of ground via timeshift. Obviously losing another million is still very bad but at least the picture isn't as bad as we first thought.
    Cowell knew the size of the timeshift was going to be big. Doesn't miss much.

Xtra Factor's figures look a bit low though with both episodes under 900,000 consolidated including +1. Down about 25% year-on-year it looks like.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    I am very confused now. If its ok for either of them to do so if they wish why have you spent so many days on here moaning about the BBC for doing it?

I haven't. I'm only moaning at those who are saying that only ITV engineer clashes and the BBC are merely retaliating or in fact they aren't even doing that. Both are as guilty as each other (it's more in ITV's interest to generate clashes than the BBC). Not that I think that clashing is a huge sin anyway.
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,297
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The controllers debate at Edinburgh is hilarious when X Factor/Strictly comes up. Fincham makes his points and Cohen is completely unable to come up with a decent answer and just stands there looking pissed off and not making any good points. It doesn't paint him in a great light and shows the only reason SCD was moved was to dent XF.
  • Options
    Ray TingsRay Tings Posts: 6,816
    Forum Member
    Overnights for week ending 6th September 2015

1. THE GREAT BRITISH BAKE OFF (BBC1) 9.83m
    2. STRICTLY COME DANCING : LAUNCH SHOW (BBC1) 8.69m
    3. THE X FACTOR (Sat) (ITV) 7.13m (7.52m inc. +1)
    4. CORONATION STREET (Mon) (ITV) 7.05m (7.21m inc. +1)
    5. EASTENDERS (Mon) (BBC1) 6.25m (6.63m inc. BBC3)
    6. EMMERDALE (Wed) (ITV) 5.81m (5.96m inc. +1)
    7. COUNTRYFILE (BBC1) 5.63m
    8. BBC REGIONAL NEWS MAGAZINES (Tues) (BBC1) 5.6m
    9. NEW TRICKS (BBC1) 5.39m
    10. ANTIQUES ROADSHOW (BBC1) 5.31m
    11. LADY CHATTERLEY'S LOVER (BBC1) 4.86m
    12. BBC NEWS AT SIX (Mon) (BBC1) 4.8m
    13. CASUALTY (BBC1) 4.79m
    14. HOLBY CITY (BBC1) 4.72m
    15. BBC NEWS AT TEN (Wed) (BBC1) 4.69m
    16. KOLKATA WITH SUE PERKINS (BBC1) 4.56m
    17. EDINBURGH MILITARY TATTOO (BBC1) 4.52m
    18. BBC NEWS (Sun 22:30) (BBC1) 4.1m
    19. POINTLESS CELEBRITIES (BBC1) 3.99m
    20. EAT WELL FOR LESS? (BBC1) 3.9m
  • Options
    JustChrisMJustChrisM Posts: 415
    Forum Member
    Could Eastenders be moved to before GBBO in the event of an ED clash? Could help boost both shows with big youth audiences.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Score wrote: »
    The controllers debate at Edinburgh is hilarious when X Factor/Strictly comes up. Fincham makes his points and Cohen is completely unable to come up with a decent answer and just stands there looking pissed off and not making any good points. It doesn't paint him in a great light and shows the only reason SCD was moved was to dent XF.

That only shows that Cohen is useless not that there are not good arguments to be made.

Sure you havent got the ITV rose tinted specs on? :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I haven't. I'm only moaning at those who are saying that only ITV engineer clashes and the BBC are merely retaliating or in fact they aren't even doing that. Both are as guilty as each other (it's more in ITV's interest to generate clashes than the BBC). Not that I think that clashing is a huge sin anyway.

What I would disagree about there is that they are as guilty as each other when 90% of the clashes are caused by ITV. Personally I would take ITV on a lot more if I were the BBC.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Cowell knew the size of the timeshift was going to be big. Doesn't miss much.

Xtra Factor's figures look a bit low though with both episodes under 900,000 consolidated including +1. Down about 25% year-on-year it looks like.

He hoped the timeshift would be big because it has been around 1.5m for the last 3 years.
  • Options
    lewiep93lewiep93 Posts: 5,880
    Forum Member
    Ray Tings do you have anymore Christmas Day ratings from the rest of the 1980s? They were truly fascinating.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What I would disagree about there is that they are as guilty as each other when 90% of the clashes are caused by ITV. Personally I would take ITV on a lot more if I were the BBC.

But it isn't in the BBC's interest to take on ITV more in terms of clashes. Ultimately they will be the ones to suffer if they were seen to be trying to kill off a commercial broadcaster. Plus ITV have their own weapons. What happens if they respond by slapping Corrie in EE slot instead of ED? Then EE would be in trouble.
  • Options
    northladnorthlad Posts: 1,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why would you do that when it would be against the terms of your charter.
  • Options
    LHolmesLHolmes Posts: 13,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It'll be interesting to see how TXF does next Sunday with a Corrie lead in.
    Corrie isn't exactly a ratings behemoth itself anymore.
  • Options
    Forum Member

If it isn't a huge sin, then why do you appear to have a problem with it?
  • Options
    Roscoe BarnesRoscoe Barnes Posts: 6,360
    Forum Member
    LHolmes wrote: »
    Corrie isn't exactly a ratings behemoth itself anymore.

Yes, but it will be better than a show doing sub 2m numbers - like the disaster that is Animal Mums which acted as the lead into XF last night. If Corrie can post a 6m rating then surely that will act as a better lead-in for XF.
  • Options
    LHolmesLHolmes Posts: 13,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure time-shifting to SCD's overnights is much to brag about.

If EE is 'vulnerable', so is XF. ITV attack EE far more and in a more aggressive way. I find it hilarious that anyone could think XF will shoot up without the overlap, that no overlap is the answer to its prayers, and/or that ITV will stop their soap clashes in the event of the BBC avoiding XF.

Today's discussion makes me miss guestofseth, a voice of reason in scheduling debates. :( (Thanks to whoever pointed out he's on twitter, still wish he was here though)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes, but it will be better than a show doing sub 2m numbers - like the disaster that is Animal Mums which acted as the lead in XF last night. If Corrie can post a 6m rating then surely that will act as a better lead-in for XF.

It should get bums on seats for ITV. When does AR air on that Sunday or is Corrie up against Country bumpkin file ?
  • Options
    Ray TingsRay Tings Posts: 6,816
    Forum Member
    lewiep93 wrote: »
    Ray Tings do you have anymore Christmas Day ratings from the rest of the 1980s? They were truly fascinating.

Friday 25th December 1987

CORONATION STREET (ITV, 19:30) 26.65m inc. repeat (below 18.8m on the day ; see note below)
    EASTENDERS (BBC1, 15:10) 25.2m inc. repeat (below 18.8m on the day ; see note below)
    FILM : INDIANA JONES AND THE TEMPLE OF DOOM (BBC1, 15:40) 18.95m
    IT'LL BE ALRIGHT ON CHRISTMAS NIGHT (ITV, 20:00) 17.95m
    THE QUEEN (BBC1, 15:00) 17.0m
    NEWS (BBC1, 17:35) 14.9m
    THE RUSS ABBOT CHRISTMAS SHOW (BBC1, 17:45) 14.6m
    CHRISTMAS BLIND DATE (ITV, 18:45) 14.55m
    ONLY FOOLS AND HORSES (BBC1, 18:25) 14.5m
    IN SICKNESS AND IN HEALTH (BBC1, 22:05) 13.15m
    NEWS AND WEATHER (BBC1, 22:35) 12.9m
    MISS MARPLE : 4.50 FROM PADDINGTON (BBC1, 20:15) 12.0m
    CHRISTMAS NIGHT WITH THE TWO RONNIES (BBC1, 19:25) 11.8m
    INSPECTOR MORSE : THE WOLVERCOTE TONGUE (ITV, 21:00) 9.5m
    TOP OF THE POPS CHRISTMAS PARTY (BBC1, 14:05) 9.4m
    FILM : TERMS OF ENDEARMENT (BBC1, 22:45) 8.7m
    FILM : BEDKNOBS AND BROOMSTICKS (ITV, 16:35) 8.3m
    FILM : THE SPY WHO LOVED ME (Repeat) (ITV, 12:40) 7.6m
    FILM : DUMBO (Repeat) (ITV, 11:30) 6.8m
    PORRIDGE (Repeat) (BBC1, 12:30) 6.0m
    NEWS (ITV, 23:00) 5.8m
    I don't have figures for the first showing of Coronation Street (probably in second place) or EastEnders (probably in third or fourth place).
    Ratings not known for : Christmas Morning with Noel (BBC1, 11:45), Julie Andrews (BBC1, 13:10), The Queen (ITV, 15:00), Alice in Wonderland (ITV, 15:10), News (ITV, 16:30)
This discussion has been closed.