Options

Cradle to the grave - Peter Kay's new comedy

Comments

• Options
    MrTheDMrTheD Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    Lamin_Ator wrote: »
    I don't really understand the point of Danny Baker, and this show looks like it might be similar to an idea I had for a sitcom. BOO

Don't understand the point of him? What a ludicrous comment.

Let's assume you mean 'you don't know what his talent is' rather than a more general 'What is the point of his existence' which would be frankly, utterly ludicrous.

- He was a well respected and much loved writer for NME for quite a few years

- He is a successful TV reporter (part of the very high rating London magazine programme The Six O Clock show

- He is a magnificent radio DJ. He created, launched and made the long running successfull 6-0-6 football phone in show (when it was good, before it got bland, safe and homogenized) , following that he has had Sony award winning stints on BBC London and a long running Saturday morning show on 5 Live

- He is a long time, well respected and much sought after writer for TV. For example he was the main creative force behind TFI Friday (something which Chris Evans, who only found fame as a result of being Bakers button monkey at GLR in the 80s), he is also the 'go to ' man for many comedic presenters like Deayton and Jonathon Ross - in fact the acclaimed monologues that used the start Ross' yearly British Comedy Awards hosting duties where written by him.

- Best seller author of two acclaimed autobiographies - check.

- And now writer, and inspiration behind a very funny sitcom.

So whats the point of Danny Baker: Well if you discount his proven track record in music journalism, script writing, radio presenting, tv presenting and authoring then probably very little (other than the fact he is clearly a very intelligent, warm guy whose family and friends clear adore him)

But yeah, if you want to focus on a couple of failed primetime vehicles from the mid 90s that really didn't suit his style and strengths , and that he only took because the money was good and he wanted to provide for his family, then yeah...feel freee
  • Options
    Lamin_AtorLamin_Ator Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    erm...ok. Sorry
    Are you his Mum or something?
  • Options
    GillypootsGillypoots Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    erm...ok. Sorry
    Are you his Mum or something?

You sound a bit of a wind up merchant to me. Are you having fun yet?:p
  • Options
    boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't really understand the point of Danny Baker, and this show looks like it might be similar to an idea I had for a sitcom. BOO

You had an idea for a sitcom based on Danny Baker's life?
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Danny Baker got so defensive on This Morning yesterday about it and particularly Peter Kay's accent. Made me not want to watch.
  • Options
    Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    Looking forward to the second episode. It's been ages since waiting a week for another episode of a TV show felt so long!

Also, I don't think anyone's appeared on The One Show to plug it. Surely that can't be because of the swearing? I'm sure they've had many guests over the years plugging TV shows and films fill of sex, violence and swearing. And I'm sure it was for the One Show that Baker went back to his old childhood home a couple of years ago, as it was about to be demolished. Perfect opportunity to get Peter Kay on the show and re-run some old footage.

Mind you, has Peter Kay actually done any promotion for this series? I've only noticed Danny Baker and Laurie Kynaston.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,751
    Forum Member
    It is not really Peter Kay's work but Danny Baker's. Peter Kay just happens to play one of the supporting roles.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Looking forward to the second episode. It's been ages since waiting a week for another episode of a TV show felt so long!

Also, I don't think anyone's appeared on The One Show to plug it. Surely that can't be because of the swearing? I'm sure they've had many guests over the years plugging TV shows and films fill of sex, violence and swearing. And I'm sure it was for the One Show that Baker went back to his old childhood home a couple of years ago, as it was about to be demolished. Perfect opportunity to get Peter Kay on the show and re-run some old footage.

Mind you, has Peter Kay actually done any promotion for this series? I've only noticed Danny Baker and Laurie Kynaston.
    I get the impression that they don't like Kay on The One Show, well at least not Matt or Alex, because he doesn't like a standard interview and pisses about.

They sometimes have him on at Christmas time when things are more relaxed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    It is not really Peter Kay's work but Danny Baker's. Peter Kay just happens to play one of the supporting roles.

Oh come on, Peter Kay is the star of the show. Anything else is semantics. He's 'the face' of this show and it's very strange that he's done no promotion for it.
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 55,167
    Forum Member
    I wonder if Danny Baker ever bumped into Michael Barrymore.

Paul Nicholas, Tim Curry and Richard O'Brien were in Hair.
  • Options
    pete137pete137 Posts: 18,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Peter Kay cant win. Its clear that even though he is in this, he is intentionally taking a back seat in the promo for this as he doesnt want it to be portrayed as "his" show. If he was on The One show people would be moaning that he was hogging the limelight. Im suprised Danny Baker isnt promoting it though.
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,595
    Forum Member
    JamieHT wrote: »
    Danny Baker got so defensive on This Morning yesterday about it and particularly Peter Kay's accent. Made me not want to watch.

What is it as I cannot work it out?
  • Options
    Ginger1Ginger1 Posts: 417
    Forum Member
    Hello Pete Beale :):)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I find Sharon's accent much more of a problem than Kay's. His may be an unconvincing 'comedy' cockney accent, but Sharon's is too much Jamockney for me. She sounds like a contemporary Eastenders character rather than a 1970s Bermondsey girl.

But I still don't care, the show's great. Well written, well directed. I hope there's a series 2.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    i4u wrote: »
    I wonder if Danny Baker ever bumped into Michael Barrymore.

Paul Nicholas, Tim Curry and Richard O'Brien were in Hair.

You seem to be playing Six degrees of separation by new rules that only you know.
  • Options
    NoughtiesMusicNoughtiesMusic Posts: 15,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably been mentioned already, but isn't Lucy Speed (Natalie Evans from Eastenders) in this? I haven't seen her in years. Good to see her again.
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    pete137 wrote: »
    Peter Kay cant win. Its clear that even though he is in this, he is intentionally taking a back seat in the promo for this as he doesnt want it to be portrayed as "his" show. If he was on The One show people would be moaning that he was hogging the limelight. Im suprised Danny Baker isnt promoting it though.
    Isn't he?

Maybe he's too busy tweeting about it at least 15 times every day. :p

edit: 22 times today - so far.
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After the gusto of the first episode, with Peter Kay saying F*CK every 2 minutes it seems to have lost its momentum.
    Still its an half hour of cosy easy watching TV. Will stick with it, despite the banal Squeeze background music.
  • Options
    SatnavvySatnavvy Posts: 5,211
    Forum Member
    After the gusto of the first episode, with Peter Kay saying F*CK every 2 minutes it seems to have lost its momentum.
    Still its an half hour of cosy easy watching TV. Will stick with it, despite the banal Squeeze background music.

Disagree - thought this was a great episode
  • Options
    jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another funny episode with Pete Beale no less.

Lucy Speed was fantastic tonight.

BTW she was wearing an awfully ugly dress in the ballroom scene.
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not saying it wasn't good, just that it seems better than it is because of all the sh*t that's on TV at the moment.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really enjoyed that. I'm a few years younger than Danny but there was still a lot of nostalgia for those of us who grew up in the 70s. Hardly anyone we knew went abroad on holiday and I don't think I ever saw a bottle of wine in the house.

In 40 years time I expect there will be a TV show about life growing up in the 2010s.
  • Options
    Ginger1Ginger1 Posts: 417
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    Really enjoyed that. I'm a few years younger than Danny but there was still a lot of nostalgia for those of us who grew up in the 70s. Hardly anyone we knew went abroad on holiday and I don't think I ever saw a bottle of wine in the house.

In 40 years time I expect there will be a TV show about life growing up in the 2010s.

It is a fantastic reflection of growing up in that era. loved that bottle of wine that someone brought back with them I think everyone had one of them...I was born mid 70s but remember the first time we had spaghetti bolognaise and thinking how cosmopolitan we all were and the first family holiday abroad to majorca in 85 it was a different era back then.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,751
    Forum Member
    Oh come on, Peter Kay is the star of the show.
    Fortunately he is no such thing which for me would make the programme unwatchable. Not a fan of his.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    Fortunately he is no such thing

No really, his name is first in the opening and closing titles. How you could think anyone else in the show (even Lucy Speed) is the lead actor is truly beyond me. You view of reality is warped by your own personal tastes. It's like me saying my local kebab house is a much bigger company than McDonalds because I prefer their kebabs to a McDonalds...