Comments

• Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    lewiep93 wrote: »
    Other ratings:
    Doctor Foster - 7.58m (+1.53m)
    An Inspector Calls - 6.82m (+0.98m)
    The X Factor (Sat) - 8.80m/9.20m (+1.25m/+1.29m)
    The X Factor (Sun) - 8.14m/8.54m (+1.17m/+1.20m)
    Gogglebox - 4.74m/5.44m (+1.20m/+1.30m)

No HD rating for Doc Martin, will hopefully obtain it via Broadcast at the end of this week.

Are those timeshifts for XF a little lower than normal?
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    Are those timeshifts for XF a little lower than normal?
    They are now similar to last year.
  • Options
    spursboy68spursboy68 Posts: 4,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    X Factor news:

Midweek Xtra Factor show to air on Wednesdays once the live shows begin:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s103/the-x-factor/news/a669602/the-xtra-factor-is-getting-a-midweek-show-later-this-series.html#~poV8BEanBRd67I

I remember the midweek show used to be great fun in the early years and a great way to get to know the contestants.

I could be wrong but are people confusing it with Pop Idol Extra which ran Wed-Fri?
  • Options
    Dan RDan R Posts: 2,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you look at Xtra Factor compared to BGMT, they are both in different leagues. BGMT is often able to be more enjoyable than the main BGT show on ITV, Xtra Factor is just tedious.

BGMT gets over 1m, sometimes touching 1.7m. The Xtra Factor doesn't even get 1/3 of that. I seriously think they should get Stephen Mulhern to spice it up a bit, go more for the comedy element.
    Xtra Factor feels tacky and cheap IMO. And the hosts try awkwardly hard to be comedic
    BGMT feels more natural and like a standalone show, kind of like you say. The ratings gap is deserved IMO. :D
  • Options
    gottagogottago Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spursboy68 wrote: »
    I could be wrong but are people confusing it with Pop Idol Extra which ran Wed-Fri?
    I loved Pop Idol Extra. Very much an early digital show where they didn't really seem to know what to do on it. They were literally showing the rehearsals of the Saturday show in full and live which I can't imagine they'd do today.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,684
    Forum Member
    Looks like C5's Friends marathon last weekend did pretty well. No figures for the main channel (so no single episode topped 0.63m exc. +1) but a few screenings on C5+1 made the channel's top 10 to give us an idea:
    6 FRIENDS-A-THON (SUN 1729) 154,000 n/a
    7 FRIENDS-A-THON (SUN 1701) 143,000 n/a
    So probably averaged around 0.6m-0.7m (inc. +1) across the afternoon. Not bad for daytime C5 and four times what it gets on a good day on Comedy Central.
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Markynotts wrote: »
    If I'm channel hopping I tend to stumble across Stargate Atlantis, which is good to see on fta tv.

Sky One always used to be the channel to go to for the top American shows, but with so much buying power from Channels 4 and 5, they so seem to struggle at times. At least occasionally they do try their own drama commissions, which is something that Channel 5 should try again - but not Minder. I don't quite know why anyone thought that they could recreate that particular series.

Suspects has been critically acclaimed and does okay ratings wise. Considering that BBC Two and Channel 4 have done quite well with drama this year for the most part, I think commissioning one or two new original dramas a year should be a goal for 5 moving forward
  • Options
    MarkynottsMarkynotts Posts: 5,255
    Forum Member
    Interesting article on the BBC about the current ratings of the big shows.

Doctor Who recorded lower-than-expected audiences on Saturday, when Peter Capaldi's return to the Tardis drew 4.6 million people to BBC One.

But an analysis of last year's series by ratings body BARB showed that, on average, viewership increased by 39% in the week after an episode was broadcast.

TXF grew 20% on the original overnight quoted in the article and if DW increases by a similar 39% as per last year, it will come in at a respectable 6.4

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-34313695
  • Options
    StrangeStrange Posts: 14,958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Doctor Who recorded lower-than-expected audiences on Saturday, when Peter Capaldi's return to the Tardis drew 4.6 million people to BBC One.

But an analysis of last year's series by ratings body BARB showed that, on average, viewership increased by 39% in the week after an episode was broadcast.

TXF grew 20% on the original overnight quoted in the article and if DW increases by a similar 39% as per last year, it will come in at a respectable 6.4

6.4 would still be the lowest launch since it came back, that's not really respectable(was hoping it would do better)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    6.4 would still be the lowest launch since it came back, that's not really respectable(was hoping it would do better)

Saturday - Live + VOSDAL: 4.645m
    + Day 1: 5.737m

Currently up just over a million after one day. It does tend to level off as the week goes on.

But as you have said, it would have been the lowest launch for new DW series
  • Options
    Chris_TVChris_TV Posts: 4,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think 6.4 would be respectable, season opener or not all things considered. Such as how weak some Season 8 episodes were, and how much all of the main channels seem to be down on their audience for their big shows this year excluding the Bake Off.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Terrible article by BBC News standards. I don't know where to start there's so many problems with it. It actually made me quite cross the lengths they have gone to defend Doctor Who. Why not wait until the finals are in if that's the ultimate goal rather than make convenient assumptions? And when talking about a uniquely high timeshifter like Doctor Who, this should be made clear, not used as evidence against overnights.

The bottom line is the overnights are far from dead, it's all down to how you interpret them. There is slightly more to take into account, and comparisons to previous years are increasingly difficult, but that's about it. I think series-on-series comparisons are still perfectly valid because, whilst PVR/catchup viewership is still on the rise, it hasn't increased by any significant percentage since Dr Who was last on. And so if it's lost a lot of viewers in the overnights, that is still a story. Not a complete one, but not something that can be neatly excused before the full facts are even in.

You sense overnights getting a bad press recently is just journos and PR people crowing that they can't write the maximum effectiveness headlines they want through fear of being made to look silly later when the officials come in. Well boohoo, try analysing for once and stop looking at ratings from such a narrow viewpoint. It's the media's obsession with the overnights that is the problem, and the way ratings are reported in this country, certainly not the overnights themselves.
  • Options
    F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I would just do a single special next year and then launch the next series in 2017 in one chunk. Give it a rest.

Its not pulling a casual audience anymore. Rest, reform the production team and come back refreshed.
  • Options
    StrangeStrange Posts: 14,958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    F1Ken wrote: »
    I would just do a single special next year and then launch the next series in 2017 in one chunk. Give it a rest.

Its not pulling a casual audience anymore. Rest, reform the production team and come back refreshed.
    but there is already massive chunks between series, don't forget the last episode before saturday's was christmas day last year
  • Options
    jsam93jsam93 Posts: 808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lewiep93 wrote: »
    From Hassan.

Sunday 20th September 2015 - Overnights
    ITV (inc +1)
    10:00 - The X Factor (r): 0.55m (8.1%)
    11:30 - Rugby World Cup: Samoa v USA: 1.38m (16.3%)
    13:55 - Rugby World Cup: Wales v Uruguay: 2.89m (24.3%)
    * peak: 3.37m (27.9%) at 15:45
    16:30 - Rugby World Cup: New Zealand v Argentina: 3.98m (24.2%)
    * peak: 4.97m (28.1%) at 18:15
    18:45 - ITV News & Weather: 3.60m (19.7%)
    19:00 - The X Factor: 7.25m (33.2%)
    21:00 - Downton Abbey: 7.62m (35.5%)
    22:30 - ITV News & Weather: 3.14m (20.4%)
    22:45 - Rugby World Cup Highlights: 0.64m (7.0%)

All day shares
    ITV: 22.2% (+1: 0.8%)
    BBC One: 15.3%
    BBC Two: 6.0%
    Channel 4: 4.03% (+1: 0.7%)
    Channel 5: 3.97% (+1: 0.5%)

The Rugby World Cup did very well, doing just the job ITV need it to. When was the last time ITV won the day in all-day shares!?
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    X Factor news:

Midweek Xtra Factor show to air on Wednesdays once the live shows begin:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s103/the-x-factor/news/a669602/the-xtra-factor-is-getting-a-midweek-show-later-this-series.html#~poV8BEanBRd67I

I remember the midweek show used to be great fun in the early years and a great way to get to know the contestants.

This will never work, There isn't really a demand for the show on the weekend.
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spursboy68 wrote: »

No they definitely had midweek Xtra Factors back when Ben Shephard presented it.
  • Options
    Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No they definitely had midweek Xtra Factors back when Ben Shephard presented it.

They had a Friday Xtra Factor for the first series. I can't remember mid-week. Pop Idol used to run for 2/3 days on ITV 2. It was excellent as you saw them in the preliminary rounds all practising. Far more 'real' in terms of talent show rather than staged stuff these shows have become.
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doc Martin 6.32m inc+1 add HD roughy 800k would work out about 7m-7.1m.

Although its good for a drama, that is less than the overnights of 2013. Its in the same situation as New Tricks.

Celerbrity Juice 1.52m - almost double the overnight and 2nd most watched for the multi-channel

Although both are heavily down from their heyday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dancc wrote: »
    Terrible article by BBC News standards. I don't know where to start there's so many problems with it. It actually made me quite cross the lengths they have gone to defend Doctor Who. Why not wait until the finals are in if that's the ultimate goal rather than make convenient assumptions? And when talking about a uniquely high timeshifter like Doctor Who, this should be made clear, not used as evidence against overnights.

The bottom line is the overnights are far from dead, it's all down to how you interpret them. There is slightly more to take into account, and comparisons to previous years are increasingly difficult, but that's about it. I think series-on-series comparisons are still perfectly valid because, whilst PVR/catchup viewership is still on the rise, it hasn't increased by any significant percentage since Dr Who was last on. And so if it's lost a lot of viewers in the overnights, that is still a story. Not a complete one, but not something that can be neatly excused before the full facts are even in.

You sense overnights getting a bad press recently is just journos and PR people crowing that they can't write the maximum effectiveness headlines they want through fear of being made to look silly later when the officials come in. Well boohoo, try analysing for once and stop looking at ratings from such a narrow viewpoint. It's the media's obsession with the overnights that is the problem, and the way ratings are reported in this country, certainly not the overnights themselves.

Despite what was said at the big leaders style debate, overnights are very important to the commercial channels and to an extent, the BBC.

Overnights are irrelevant to the newspapers except when they want to bash a giant that is falling - TXF is one particular example. The show debuted low and there were numerous articles, now it has risen slightly and stabilised - the press have little interest. Of course they could just be waiting for Strictly to return to highlight how low TXF is compared to previous years again.

The article did seem to try and be a damage limitation exercise for DW, but compared to the articles that are strewn around the main page on here ...... well DS articles are very inconsistent shall we say.

Dancc, I am sorry that the article has angered you. No one needs to be pissed off so early in the week.
  • Options
    sheepiefarmsheepiefarm Posts: 27,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Terrible article by BBC News standards. I don't know where to start there's so many problems with it. It actually made me quite cross the lengths they have gone to defend Doctor Who.
    *snip*
    They certainly weren't defending it on Sunday with this headline on their newspage

Doctor Who sees millions desert opening episode

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-34307519

:D
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They certainly weren't defending it on Sunday with this headline on their newspage

Doctor Who sees millions desert opening episode

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-34307519

:D

Then picks up viewers on BBC iPlayer so that so called news story may of being a promotional push :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Despite what was said at the big leaders style debate, overnights are very important to the commercial channels and to an extent, the BBC.

Overnights are irrelevant to the newspapers except when they want to bash a giant that is falling - TXF is one particular example. The show debuted low and there were numerous articles, now it has risen slightly and stabilised - the press have little interest. Of course they could just be waiting for Strictly to return to highlight how low TXF is compared to previous years again.

The article did seem to try and be a damage limitation exercise for DW, but compared to the articles that are strewn around the main page on here ...... well DS articles are very inconsistent shall we say.

Dancc, I am sorry that the article has angered you. No one needs to be pissed off so early in the week.
    No worries Mark, it didn't have any lasting impact !! It's been a grand old start to the week in general.

There is a reason why I tend to avoid ratings articles in the press. But I expect better from BBC News.
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    No worries Mark, it didn't have any lasting impact !! It's been a grand old start to the week in general.

There is a reason why I tend to avoid ratings articles in the press. But I expect better from BBC News.

I agree though its a terrible article - maybe the cutbacks at BBC News have already started !! ;-)
  • Options
    Chief_WiggumChief_Wiggum Posts: 6,185
    Forum Member
    Thanks lewi..Hassan

BBC1 stronghold from 630pm-9pm.

BBC2 had a pretty poor evening but Family Guy did batter in a later slot.

The Rugby did better yesterday than Saturday, and is helping ITV get iys best al day shares since......? A long, long time.

Ch4 had a poor evening.

I think it may also be that the new episodes of Family Guy are specifically advertised as new now, so more viewers have realised that these are new episodes and not just the same old repeats.
This discussion has been closed.