Options

Man United Supporters Thread (Part 48)

Comments

• Options
    Tony_DanielsTony_Daniels Posts: 3,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wish we'd temper the hype around Martial. Not that he hasn't deserved it but it feels like announcing a pregnancy before the 12-week scan. I don't want to jinx it.
  • Options
    Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is a bit expensive for this type of match.

I paid more when I took my sister to the wrestling at the 02 arena last year, £60 a ticket, that's what's expensive. I didn't even enjoy it either, she did though.
  • Options
    Tannhauser GateTannhauser Gate Posts: 17,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Shaw will be world class out of who we have at the minute.
    Yep Shaw was beginning to look top drawer, until that bloody injury.

That bloody injury.....
    If we "suffered" early exits from both cup competitions, we'd get a week off end of November/beginning December, just before the busy Christmas fixture-list; we'd be required to only play once in 8 games after that period and we'd also get 10 days off at the end of January.

Sorry if it sounds arrogant or unromantic, but I'd take that over trying to fit in an extra 12 odd matches as well as balancing league and hopefully European commitments. On balance it isn't worth it, is it?

Sure the FA Cup gets exciting once you reach the semi-finals but I'm not sure it warrants the effort and the distraction.

This is going to sound as sentimental as your post was unromantic, but ever since we pulled out of the FA cup, I always wanted us to give everything we've got to win it.

Can't really be arsed about the league cup though. Good for blooding the young'uns and that's about it. Unless we win. Then it's bragging rights and a fantastic competition.
    Wish we'd temper the hype around Martial. Not that he hasn't deserved it but it feels like announcing a pregnancy before the 12-week scan. I don't want to jinx it.

I am going to say this about Martial with any fear of jinxing; IF he doesn't suffer a major injury he's going to be better for us than Welbeck ever was. When LVG says he's an exceptional talent you have to listen. We've all seen his skill but he seems to have pace and speed of thought as well. I think those two qualities are essential for a top striker in the modern game. Poor old Macheda was skillful and speedy upstairs but slow over the ground - and it was because of that I called it that he would never make it at OT ages before we got rid. Mind you, I am a fiend for pace.

Martial will have dips and probably a difficult second season even if he continues this form (and at 19 he really shouldn't have to carry the burden of expectation for United's success this year) but I suspect his talent is too good to jinx. I don't think he'll be getting us many headed goals though....
  • Options
    Tannhauser GateTannhauser Gate Posts: 17,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stam
    Vidic
    Evra (going forward anyway)
    Erwin (going forward and backwards)

Forgot those four as well.
  • Options
    Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am going to say this about Martial with any fear of jinxing; IF he doesn't suffer a major injury he's going to be better for us than Welbeck ever was. When LVG says he's an exceptional talent you have to listen. We've all seen his skill but he seems to have pace and speed of thought as well. I think those two qualities are essential for a top striker in the modern game. Poor old Macheda was skillful and speedy upstairs but slow over the ground - and it was because of that I called it that he would never make it at OT ages before we got rid. Mind you, I am a fiend for pace.

Martial will have dips and probably a difficult second season even if he continues this form (and at 19 he really shouldn't have to carry the burden of expectation for United's success this year) but I suspect his talent is too good to jinx. I don't think he'll be getting us many headed goals though....

I sincerely hope that you're right, and I don't believe in 'jinxing', but I just don't see how you can state that he'll be better than Welbeck, long term, on the evidence of a couple of games.

He's clearly a better finisher, mind...
  • Options
    Eddie hunterEddie hunter Posts: 4,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jaap Stam's time at Man Utd is stunningly over rated. Obviously he was a great player but essentially his time at United amounted to about one and a half seasons of being outstanding. Thats not enough for me in the face of the other central defenders who have been at the club down the years under Fergie.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I sincerely hope that you're right, and I don't believe in 'jinxing', but I just don't see how you can state that he'll be better than Welbeck, long term, on the evidence of a couple of games.

He's clearly a better finisher, mind...

He could lose his legs tomorrow and he'd still be ahead of Welbeck in the history of United strikers.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's far too early to even be saying that, to be honest.

You're getting way ahead of yourself, I think. He looks promising, but so did Welbeck, for a bit.

Well he is our most potent striker at the club so far this season, so that is something in his favour (okay we only have two or three if you count Wilson).

He will naturally have his ups and downs this season, and he has started very well indeed, so we might have to be patient with him at some points during the season.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jaap Stam's time at Man Utd is stunningly over rated. Obviously he was a great player but essentially his time at United amounted to about one and a half seasons of being outstanding. Thats not enough for me in the face of the other central defenders who have been at the club down the years under Fergie.

His time here was far too short, and replacing him with Blanc was a huge error.
    He was a beast of a defender, and it wasn't until we got Vidic that we really replaced him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He could lose his legs tomorrow and he'd still be ahead of Welbeck in the history of United strikers.

Welbeck was hopeless in front of goal, but he still scored more than 3, in total.

I know that you're being amusingly flippant, but this kid has just got started. I get a bit frustrated with people always clamouring to declare that such-and-such a player is the 'next big thing'.

I've even seen people claiming that he's 'worth the money', already. Ludicrous.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I paid more when I took my sister to the wrestling at the 02 arena last year, £60 a ticket, that's what's expensive. I didn't even enjoy it either, she did though.

Wow, I hope that you got a good seat for that price!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welbeck was hopeless in front of goal, but he still scored more than 3, in total.

I know that you're being amusingly flippant, but this kid has just got started. I get a bit frustrated with people always clamouring to declare that such-and-such a player is the 'next big thing'.

He certainly has not proved himself worthy of such a high price tag, but he has done well so far, and there is nothing wrong with saying that.

There is still a lot more to come from him, and that is great for us.

You are right to be hesitatant with him, as we have been burnt before with young players (Ravel, Kiko etc), but this feller already looks a better bet than those two, but we should still be cautious until he has proven himself over a longer time frame.
  • Options
    Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, I hope that you got a good seat for that price!

Oh yes, and a picture of the Great Kahli into the bargain.
  • Options
    JoTaylorJoTaylor Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member

You'd have to pay me 60 quid to go to that! That's the thing with kids entertainment they can name their price. Add on all the tshirts and photos and crap & it's really expensive day out funded by mum.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His time here was far too short, and replacing him with Blanc was a huge error.
    He was a beast of a defender, and it wasn't until we got Vidic that we really replaced him.

He was a beast but in truth when he was sold I didn't disagree, I thought he had lost something after his injury as well, he didn't seem the same player. Obviously he went on to be excellent again but I always believed he was sold for footballing reasons rather than solely for his book.

I just feel he is remembered as being part of an era when in fact he wasn't actually at the top of his game in a red shirt for long at all. He is often citied in "Fergusons Greatest XIs" but for me the likes of Ferdinand, Vidic, Bruce and Pallister would always be ahead of him because they were there over a decent enough period to judge them.

To put it in perspective Stam played over 100 games for United and has been lauded in the manner I said while Laurent Blanc who people feel was only here for 5 mins and was a disaster actually played 75 games. In not comparing them performance wise but I think sometimes the mind plays tricks about how long they were both at the club.

TBH I was being flippant more about Welbeck than bigging up Martial. I agree with you in terms of hyping him up but what I will say i stat I was being serious when compared with Welbeck. I think I would already have more faith in him in a one on one situation after only seeing 3 games than I ever had in Welbeck.

Id rather he was being put under pressure as a result of hype because he's doing so well than because he's still waiting for his first goal! Thats pretty obvious I suppose but the fee dictated that the pressure would be there regardless I guess.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh yes, and a picture of the Great Kahli into the bargain.

Good!

Kahli might not be my favourite, but he is certainly an impressive size of a man!
  • Options
    NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Cruel but true.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TBH I was being flippant more about Welbeck than bigging up Martial. I agree with you in terms of hyping him up but what I will say i stat I was being serious when compared with Welbeck. I think I would already have more faith in him in a one on one situation after only seeing 3 games than I ever had in Welbeck.

Id rather he was being put under pressure as a result of hype because he's doing so well than because he's still waiting for his first goal! Thats pretty obvious I suppose but the fee dictated that the pressure would be there regardless I guess.

In a one-on-one, sure, I'd agree. Welbeck has some useful attributes, to be fair to him. He just doesn't have the key one, for a striker.

I supposed that I'm trying to not get too carried away, myself. Nani might be a slightly better comparison. He looked like he was going to be a star, at first. Look at how that turned out!
  • Options
    Grim FandangoGrim Fandango Posts: 4,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good!

Kahli might not be my favourite, but he is certainly an impressive size of a man!

Would you enter Khali's ring if you had the opportunity?

I remember you saying you enjoyed yourself that last time you did that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good!

Often it's the girth more than the size though.
  • Options
    catsaregreycatsaregrey Posts: 1,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CPg9kZ9WsAAkeOR.jpg:large

The letter fergie sent cantona, (taken from twitter)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm reminded of 'The Office', for some reason...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved Jaap Stam. He looked mental, it was brilliant. Hated it when he was sold.
  • Options
    The MatrixThe Matrix Posts: 379
    Forum Member
    Jose has more problems.
    1. Costa will be banned for at least three games, hasn't contested the charge.
    2. Eva has resigned, expect a pay off & or court case. The Russian will have to dig in his pocket!!

Ps. To cap it off Arsenal won their appeal for Sats red card for Gabriel.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved Jaap Stam. He looked mental, it was brilliant. Hated it when he was sold.

You and me both, I was shocked when we sold him.
This discussion has been closed.