Options

Jamaica Slavery Reparations

Comments

• Options
    simon_vale1simon_vale1 Posts: 627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bozzimacoo wrote: »
    As the likes of Camerons ancestors benefitted, then their ancestors could be asked to give up some wealth that they still benefit from, including royalty.

Everyone in the UK who can trace their family history back to the period before slavery was abolished benefitted in some way either directly or indirectly so you, I and everyone else alive in the UK should forfeit a part of our wealth as well. Or is it only the wealthy who should pay?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trunkster wrote: »
    What rubbish, they've had 50 years of independence and self determination, now all they can do is blame their lot on events 200-250 years ago.

Bit like the Labour Party blaming everything on the thatcher years.
  • Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    dosanjh1 wrote: »
    Attack the victim mentality. Yeah I punched you in the face,your request for an apology is just needy.

and as i said above if any of the actual victims of slavery are still around then i have no problem with them being compensated given they were the ones who were "punched in the face" not their great, great, great, great, great grandchildren
  • Options
    duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Attack the victim mentality. Yeah I punched you in the face,your request for an apology is just needy.

Germans shot at my Grandfather during WW1 - can I get an apology from them and some dosh as well please.
  • Options
    StaunchyStaunchy Posts: 10,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Romans would argue they paid reparations by laying the foundations of modern Britain and uniting disparate tribes into one people.

They'd also point out that tribal leaders in Britain allowed the slavery to take place.

Someone could use a slightly tweaked version of that excuse for what the British did in Jamaica.
  • Options
    StaunchyStaunchy Posts: 10,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Nope, not the same.
  • Options
    DotheboyshallDotheboyshall Posts: 40,583
    Forum Member
    They should pay us, as if it wasn't for slavery they'd be still in Africa instead of London.
  • Options
    trunkstertrunkster Posts: 14,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

As opposed to the victimhood mentality, where everyone else is to blame for my/our circumstances.
  • Options
    Rastus PiefaceRastus Pieface Posts: 4,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Should Britain pay compensation to Jamaica for it's role in the Atlantic slave trade?

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/sep/29/jamaica-calls-britain-pay-billions-pounds-reparations-slavery

There's no doubt slavery helped fuel Britains economic might in the 18th and 19th century and the wealth created from slave labour on sugar plantations has trickled down to wealthy individuals in the public eye today:

The British governments position that reparations 'not the right approach' is somewhat absurd and patronising. It acknowledges culpability but refuse to engage with adequate remedy.

no. what absolute tosh.

now, dosanjh1, what's your opinion on this?
  • Options
    dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    mimik1uk wrote: »
    rubbish

playing the victim card 6-7 generations removed from the actual events is just looking for something for nothing

If countries and individuals can benefit generations down the line then the opposite is surly true.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    rubbish

playing the victim card 6-7 generations removed from the actual events is just looking for something for nothing

If countries and families can benefit generations down the line then surely the opposite is true?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If countries and individuals can benefit generations down the line then the opposite is surly true.

No they should not, by going with your flawed opinion that means I should therefore track down the families of all who were involved the deaths of a few of my relatives who perished in the concentration camps during WW2 and demand an apology from them and cut of their wealth if they have any.

See where your logic falls flat?
  • Options
    MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

More like "A man who lived in the same town as your great, great, great grandad punched a man who lived down the road from my great, great, great grandad. Give me your car keys".
  • Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member

why ?

how do you prove liability ?

how do you apportion appropriate compensation when some descendants of slaves are multi-millionaires because they made something of themselves whilst others didn't ?

how do you apportion what percentage of wealth currently held is a direct result of slavery ?

how do you prove that because something bad happened to an ancestor 150-200 years ago its responsible for current situations, especially as per the point above that not all descendants of slaves are in poverty ?

the world was a different place 200 years ago, people had different moral values and legal values. expecting descendants to be responsible for the actions of their ancestors 200 years ago makes zero sense. it doesn't matter how much wealth they may or may not have if they were not actually responsible for the events and those events whilst repugnant now were actually legal at the time..
  • Options
    CSJBCSJB Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    A large percentage of Jamaicans are of mixed race, no doubt they are descendants of slavers, do they sue themselves ?
    One of my ancestors was captured by Barbary pirates and took to North Africa as a white slave, who do I sue ?
    Both my grandparents were killed in ww2 can I sue the Germans and Italians ?
    How far back can we go to get money off the descendants of people who did something to our ancestors ?
    I've got lots more claims to make :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    trunkster wrote: »
    What rubbish, they've had 50 years of independence and self determination, now all they can do is blame their lot on events 200-250 years ago.

That doesn't in anyway remove culpability
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Everyone in the UK who can trace their family history back to the period before slavery was abolished benefitted in some way either directly or indirectly so you, I and everyone else alive in the UK should forfeit a part of our wealth as well. Or is it only the wealthy who should pay?

If it was paid through the treasurey then everyone would pay.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Staunchy wrote: »
    Someone could use a slightly tweaked version of that excuse for what the British did in Jamaica.

Tweak it then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    no. what absolute tosh.

now, dosanjh1, what's your opinion on this?

My opinion is pretty clear. If we accept guilt then we should make amends. If we accept guilt but don't make amends then that is a stain on the charecter of the country.
  • Options
    MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Slavery is still widely practiced in the Islamic world today as evidenced by the fate of the yazidi women and children in the last few years it has been endemic for many centuries before the western worlds comparatively brief involvement. What steps do you think should be taken to stamp out this practice and for how many generations do you think the populations of Islamic countries should be held accountable?

Should Morroco, Algeria, Tunisia and Lybia pay compensation to the decendents of the barbery slave trade? How many centuries should the decendents of IS and their defenders be held responsible?
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    Should Britain pay compensation to Jamaica for it's role in the Atlantic slave trade?

No.

Slavery has a long and undistinguished history. 80% of the population of Rome were, slaves and they were common in Ancient Greece and Egypt. slaves - and slavery was common in Africa even before Europeans came.

The Barbary Pirates raided parts of Europe even as far as England to kidnap Europeans for slavery. Indeed pretty much every country in the old world had slavery at some point in it's history.

Rather better to expand energy eradicating it as an institution than spend that energy compensating people, many of whom were both victims and perpetrators.
  • Options
    trunkstertrunkster Posts: 14,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

How far back in history do we ALL go? I reckon I've got a claim on the Normans.
  • Options
    angarrackangarrack Posts: 5,493
    Forum Member
    Jamaicans were forcibly removed from their country - they themselves weren't complicit and the country became a population of emancipated slaves.

The British ancestors of slavers today appear to be wealthy, the outcome of the huge benefits derived from slave money, but ancestors of slaves appear to be poor - without any real benefits from their grandparents being slaves.

How many Jamaicans today can prove their pure descent from slaves transported from Africa?
  • Options
    duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it was paid through the treasurey then everyone would pay.

Why should anyone whose ancestors had hee-haw to do with slavery pay?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    why ?

how do you prove liability ?

how do you apportion appropriate compensation when some descendants of slaves are multi-millionaires because they made something of themselves whilst others didn't ?

how do you apportion what percentage of wealth currently held is a direct result of slavery ?

how do you prove that because something bad happened to an ancestor 150-200 years ago its responsible for current situations, especially as per the point above that not all descendants of slaves are in poverty ?

the world was a different place 200 years ago, people had different moral values and legal values. expecting descendants to be responsible for the actions of their ancestors 200 years ago makes zero sense. it doesn't matter how much wealth they may or may not have if they were not actually responsible for the events and those events whilst repugnant now were actually legal at the time..

The why question is pretty obvious. If your ancestors were poor then the generations to come will have more difficulty than if their ancestors were wealthy.

I don't now how. I expect a mutually agreeable negotiation between the countries could take place.

Before the how though the should be sorted out.