Options

BBC trying to cancel the Open Golf coverage early in 2016

Comments

• Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    THOMO wrote: »
    I was always a supporter of the BBC having live coverage of the Open Golf and also I thought that the Open Golf should be a listed sports event. But after this years debacle of the coverage on the Monday of the Open Golf on the BBC because of the weekend rain, and not starting the coverage of the Open until about 1.45pm in the afternoon and missing quite a few of the leaders putting from the first hole, my views have changed and I think Sky will do an excellent job of covering the Open Golf in 2016.
    Ian.
    Of course, the BBC had a duty to other viewers too, not just the golf fans who were lucky enough to be able to watch any Monday play. Sky are able to dedicate a complete sports channel to it and would be able to fully cater for any extension without annoying other viewers.
  • Options
    Wokka WokkaWokka Wokka Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    People talk about interest in golf dropping in the UK because of the loss of one week of licence fee funded live Open coverage, but surely Sky have as much vested interest to see British players at the top of the Pro ranks and amateur player numbers increasing as the R&A, England Golf, equipment manufacturers, etc.

The more Brits in the top 50 and the more people playing regularly, the more people prepared to purchase a Sports subscription for golf coverage that might not otherwise do so surely. That stretches to Sky sponsoring the returned British Masters next week at Woburn to grow interest.
  • Options
    Von TrappVon Trapp Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    I was always a supporter of the BBC having live coverage of the Open Golf and also I thought that the Open Golf should be a listed sports event. But after this years debacle of the coverage on the Monday of the Open Golf on the BBC because of the weekend rain, and not starting the coverage of the Open until about 1.45pm in the afternoon and missing quite a few of the leaders putting from the first hole, my views have changed and I think Sky will do an excellent job of covering the Open Golf in 2016.
    Ian.

This issue was well covered at the time. Cameras were not available for what was a once in 30 years event. If Sky had been covering the same would have happened. It has been well documented.
  • Options
    THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,453
    Forum Member
    Von Trapp wrote: »
    This issue was well covered at the time. Cameras were not available for what was a once in 30 years event. If Sky had been covering the same would have happened. It has been well documented.
    Unfortunately your wrong, as the Open Golf was covered live quite a few hours earlier live in the USA.. Sky have covered many sports events before that have gone into an extra day including Golf, without less coverage. And the BBC have covered the Wimbledon Tennis before without any less coverage when on occasions that has gone into a third week on the Monday because of rain, before the Centre Court Roof was built.
    Ian.
  • Options
    JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    It will be nice to see what Sky will do I got to admit. Would have been nice if the BBC had got their 1 last live open for a while but it wasn't to be. I'll still be watching regardless
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JSemple3 wrote: »
    It will be nice to see what Sky will do I got to admit. Would have been nice if the BBC had got their 1 last live open for a while but it wasn't to be. I'll still be watching regardless

According to the Sky Sports website, the Open Golf is going to covered in it's entirety from start to finish. Which will mean starting around about 6.00am approx and covering right up until the last player has putted on the 18th green on the Thursday and Friday at 9.00pm or after.
    Ian,
  • Options
    Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    Von Trapp wrote: »

So cameras were not available on the morning of the extra Monday of the Open, despite them being there for a full four days beforehand, if not longer, but they suddenly became available on the afternoon, and managed to get them all set up for 1.45pm again?

B*llocks.
  • Options
    croftercrofter Posts: 2,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peter Alliss had told viewers at this years Open that BBC would definitely have live coverage next year at Troon with highlights in the following year.

At that time - that was the official line. I suspected from his demeanour during the Open coverage that Peter knew the unofficial line though.

The BBC should have done the end of their Open Golf coverage justice by having one last hurrah - instead they have sneakily exited stage left.
  • Options
    croftercrofter Posts: 2,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ian.

I am guessing you won't mind the adverts every 15 or 20 minutes either on Sky.;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    crofter wrote: »
    I am guessing you won't mind the adverts every 15 or 20 minutes either on Sky.;-)
    I've enjoyed sport on whatever channels it's on whether free to air or subscription based and whether there are adverts or not. For example I'm enjoying the Rugby Union World Cup right now on ITV.
    Ian.
  • Options
    Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    I've enjoyed sport on whatever channels it's on whether free to air or subscription based and whether there are adverts or not. For example I'm enjoying the Rugby Union World Cup right now on ITV.
    Ian.

Suppose those ads arent interrupting live action though :D

Then again with golf, not much of it is actually "live" anyway, maybe the last couple of groups on the final two days are but a lot of the rest is on a delay as it would have happened seconds/minutes beforehand.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They should drop Match Of The Day as ITV will be happy to show it, No point of even bidding for football these days.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Suppose those ads arent interrupting live action though :D

Then again with golf, not much of it is actually "live" anyway, maybe the last couple of groups on the final two days are but a lot of the rest is on a delay as it would have happened seconds/minutes beforehand.

I believe the the Royal and Ancient who've sold the rights to Sky have had a strict signed agreement in the clause of covering the Open Golf that the adverts will be very limited and less than usual. It will be similar to the agreement in covering the US Masters. I remember reading about it at the time, but I'm afraid I haven't got a link. I may be wrong, as I'm not 100% certain.
    Ian.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crofter wrote: »
    The BBC should have done the end of their Open Golf coverage justice by having one last hurrah - instead they have sneakily exited stage left.
    .... and saved a wad of money in doing so.
  • Options
    mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe the the Royal and Ancient who've sold the rights to Sky have had a strict signed agreement in the clause of covering the Open Golf that the adverts will be very limited and less than usual. It will be similar to the agreement in covering the US Masters. I remember reading about it at the time, but I'm afraid I haven't got a link. I may be wrong, as I'm not 100% certain.
    Ian.

Yes - Sky coverage of the Open will be limited to 4 minutes of adverts per hour - referred to in link:

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/golf/top-stories/r-a-defends-selling-open-tv-rights-to-sky-sports-1-3686432
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mlt11 wrote: »
    Yes - Sky coverage of the Open will be limited to 4 minutes of adverts per hour - referred to in link:

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/golf/top-stories/r-a-defends-selling-open-tv-rights-to-sky-sports-1-3686432

Thanks for that link.
    Ian.
  • Options
    JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    I'm guessing (might be wrong) but I do know the R&A are looking for a new partner for the world feed. Wonder if the world feed will stay on sky?
  • Options
    Aaron_ScotlandAaron_Scotland Posts: 8,487
    Forum Member
    So cameras were not available on the morning of the extra Monday of the Open, despite them being there for a full four days beforehand, if not longer, but they suddenly became available on the afternoon, and managed to get them all set up for 1.45pm again?

B*llocks.

Sure is. I was there in St Andrews, the cranes with the cameras on it were down until play began, that is the only thing they had to 'setup' and it took minutes. But all cameras were still there.
  • Options
    Stereophonic83Stereophonic83 Posts: 501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think it was the cameras they didn't have, it was number of camera operators available apparently. For some daft reason some weren't available, you would think there would be contingencies in place.

Pity BBC bowed out with a whimper at 'The Home of Golf'.

The adverts are irrelevant IMO, Sky will more than do it justice.
  • Options
    mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The R&A has issued a statement saying that for the 2016 event Sky is only paying an amount equal to the BBC's previously contracted amount.

Obviously Sky's increased rights fee will be payable from 2017 onwards.

Per R&A statement:

"Following the BBC’s announcement today, The R&A can confirm that it was approached in recent weeks by the BBC to discuss being released from its contract to provide live coverage of The 145th Open Championship at Royal Troon in 2016. After significant deliberation, The R&A has accepted the BBC’s proposal and agreed that the BBC be allowed to amend its broadcast arrangements for The Open 12 months early.

As a result of these discussions, The R&A approached Sky Sports to assess its willingness to broadcast The Open from 2016 rather than 2017. The R&A is grateful to Sky Sports for agreeing to commence live broadcasting of The Open a year early.

No additional revenue will be received by The R&A in 2016 as a result of this new arrangement."

http://www.randa.org/en/RandA/News/News/2015/September/BBC-requests-release-from-contract.aspx
  • Options
    JokanovicJokanovic Posts: 12,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I too was a big supporter of The Open staying on BBC but it really all became pointless once they dropped coverage of the other tournaments they did. I suspect hey will quietly give up The Masters as well.
    Good for golf ? Probably not but it's a sport in decline anyway even with the amount of TV coverage now.
    I actually think BBC will do quite well with their highlights show. There hasn't been one for a few years and it does give those without SKY the option of still keeping in touch with the tournament. Will, of course, rate far better than SKY so good for the R&A as well.
  • Options
    JokanovicJokanovic Posts: 12,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They should drop Match Of The Day as ITV will be happy to show it, No point of even bidding for football these days.

ITV weren't interested last time around.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jokanovic wrote: »
    ITV weren't interested last time around.

They should try and get the cost down then.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jokanovic wrote: »
    Well I too was a big supporter of The Open staying on BBC but it really all became pointless once they dropped coverage of the other tournaments they did. I suspect hey will quietly give up The Masters as well.
    Good for golf ? Probably not but it's a sport in decline anyway even with the amount of TV coverage now.
    I actually think BBC will do quite well with their highlights show. There hasn't been one for a few years and it does give those without SKY the option of still keeping in touch with the tournament. Will, of course, rate far better than SKY so good for the R&A as well.

I'll second that. It's a question of economics.

Many traditional golf clubs are losing members as the older ones die off.
    Young people with big mortgages find it hard to find around on average a thousand pounds a year to play. Let alone the cost of equipment.
    Working long hours reduces the opportunities for many to play. Week-ends are always very busy and getting a suitable tee time can be a pain.So when they divide the number of times they've been able to play in a year, the "cost per round," can work out expensive.
    The discount system works against them too, where it applies. It was originally put in place decades ago to make it affordable for members when they retired, as they were now pensioners.
    Now those who have retired are "the ones with the money," so really it's the younger members who need the discount, but that'd never get passed through council.
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least BBC is free to show even more Homes Under the Hammer , Escape to the Country , Flog It , Bargain Hunt and the usual on its main channels now. :D
This discussion has been closed.