Options

Have I Got News For You. Series 50

Comments

• Options
    StaunchyStaunchy Posts: 10,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's normally witty and enjoyable to watch, but Osman's desperate "dull men" comment after a few others didn't quite hit the mark indicate to me that he's either lost his knack or Clarkson took a sh*t in his coffee before the cameras rolled?
  • Options
    puppylove7puppylove7 Posts: 66,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lealeeds wrote: »
    I'm surprised at some of the comments.
    I thought it was great and Richard Osman was spot on.

Yeh I thought so too! Jeremy was taking it all in good humour. He was even laughing at some of the things Richard was saying.
  • Options
    klunkklunk Posts: 1,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clarkson can't win. If he says daft things people moan, if he plays it straight and dull... people moan.
    Fallacy. It's not necessarily the same people.
  • Options
    Sam_GlenSam_Glen Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    I thought Richard Osman was gratuitously rude. Where's he going to be in 15 years?
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    JC looks well.
    Straker wrote: »
    If he was 75.

:D:D:D
  • Options
    Gregory ShapeGregory Shape Posts: 2,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sam_Glen wrote: »
    I thought Richard Osman was gratuitously rude. Where's he going to be in 15 years?

He was. It was a little weird. He made some comment early on about how much Clarkson is allegedly getting paid for his Amazon Prime show and the rest of his digs came over as jealousy.

I used to like Osman, but Pointless has become a showcase for him and 'Xander's smugness and I cant be arsed with it these days.
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He was. It was a little weird. He made some comment early on about how much Clarkson is allegedly getting paid for his Amazon Prime show and the rest of his digs came over as jealousy.

I used to like Osman, but Pointless has become a showcase for him and 'Xander's smugness and I cant be arsed with it these days.

I agree about Pointless, but Alexander Armstrong is genuinely funny. I don't think Richard is. He goes off on tangents sometimes which are obviously his attempts to be funny but they're just not. He's terrible on most panel shows.
  • Options
    dorkjacksndorkjacksn Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The whole Rebekah Brooks thing was a bit awkward, wasn't it. Surprised they didn't press Clarkson on it more to be honest... since when can the host just decide "We're not doing this part of the show" out of personal embarrassment?

Clarkson looked rather frail I thought; definitely not his usual bullish self. Perhaps all the controversy has had an impact on his health to some degree. He was after all, under a large amount of scrutiny (rightly so).

Kathy Burke will be much better. Fiery old thing that she is. Love her. :D:D And with Charlie Brooker too!
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PaperSkin wrote: »
    The editing was very noticeable, especially at the end, I think there was a lot more to what Ian said to Clarkson... and what was with the mention of coke, is that implying what I think its implying..

Ian Hislop is very familiar with libel/slander law and the programme was in front of an audience so I am sure he would be very careful what he said.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sam_Glen wrote: »

I suspect that he will get a hard time next he chairs the programme.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JamieHT wrote: »
    I agree about Pointless, but Alexander Armstrong is genuinely funny. I don't think Richard is. He goes off on tangents sometimes which are obviously his attempts to be funny but they're just not. He's terrible on most panel shows.

I think Osman is getting far too much exposure on TV, he needs to limit his appearances more.
  • Options
    philoolaphiloola Posts: 3,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Worst episode for a long time.. and they were (on paper) good guests too.

It was heavily, badly edited.. the 'ribbing' went over the line and turned from funny into car-crash TV. Osman and JC obviously do not get on, for some reason.

And Paul Merton just looked bored and like he couldn't be arsed with it. Although, to be fair, thats been the case for years now.
  • Options
    johnloonyjohnloony Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    I was surprised they didn't show the speech by Liz Truss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRhlRM6rYck
  • Options
    LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    philoola wrote: »
    It was heavily, badly edited.. /QUOTE]

It left me feeling very much that the best bits were probably on the cutting room floor, because they weren't fit to be broadcast. There seemed to be a bit of a change in atmosphere as the show went on and I wondered if the needling of Clarkson had gone a bit too far, or JC's reaction had gone a bit too far.

Maybe the show with the extra bits might be better.
  • Options
    mrsmoosemrsmoose Posts: 2,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Usually I love Richard Osmon and was so pleased to see he was on the show, I'll watch anything that he's on, but I found higny really uncomfortable to watch. The digs from him were pretty much constant and even the audience just seemed to be forcing laughs.

I have the Pointless books and in it he tells of his dislike (understatement!) for Clarkson, didn't expect it to be such deep hatered.
  • Options
    henry_hopehenry_hope Posts: 761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was awful. Staged bear bating. They did the same with Nigel Farage. Get a bullish male in and stab them til they fall down.Horrible to watch this macho game going on so i turned it off.

Clarkson just looked puffy and ill.

Also,why is BBC supporting someone who abused a colleague?Would they have put Saville on to chair a chat show i wonder.....probably!
  • Options
    grauniadgrauniad Posts: 7,958
    Forum Member
    Osman was mildly amusing early on in Pointless, but he has become boring, not knowing when to leave a joke. The ongoing thing about how good Ben Miller is is becoming tiresome. He did the same in a short period of time with Clarkson, turning what was laughs into groans. I don't like Clarkson, but I was beginning to have sympathy for him.
  • Options
    JayinthegardenJayinthegarden Posts: 1,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed it. Thought Richard Osman was excellent and his remarks spot on.
  • Options
    Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    I was hoping JC would thump Osman. Osman came over as the school swot trying to be one of the lads by making "witty" comments about someone and failing miserably.
  • Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We watched this and we picked up a very unpleasant vibe coming from Osman. He stuck the knife in at every opportunity and some of his jibes were very childish. In fact the whole show took on a rather nasty aspect because of his attitude. He's gone down in my estimation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got the impression that Hislop and Merton were not particularly antogonistic towards Clarkson and possibly even friends of him so the programme could have been more fun if Osman had not been on it with just gentle ribbing of Clarkson.

Like some others I lost a respect for Osman and will be avoiding anything featuring him. He needs to get back to working in the 'back office'.
  • Options
    Twenty10Twenty10 Posts: 419
    Forum Member
    There's a difference between being funny and simply being rude and obnoxious. Richard Osman, for me, crossed the line. He wasn't funny, but I think he thought he was being clever and witty, instead he missed the mark by some margin. He didn't come out of it terribly well.

Clarkson? Seemed like he was at half pace, not really bothered. But you could say the same about Paul Merton too (and that would be true for a number of series now).
  • Options
    Twenty10Twenty10 Posts: 419
    Forum Member
    henry_hope wrote: »
    ...Also,why is BBC supporting someone who abused a colleague?Would they have put Saville on to chair a chat show i wonder.....probably!

You're honestly comparing Clarkson with Savile?

Because, if you are, I believe you're well and truly in the realms of libel. Good luck with that one.
  • Options
    CheshirecheeseCheshirecheese Posts: 544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think Richard is coming over very well but that might just be me

Its not just you, he is coming across as waspish bullying character. Jeremy Clarkson is no angel but he is there doing a job for which he is paid, and in any other line of work Richard Osman's comments would be regarded as bullying. If he thinks he is funny he needs to think again.
  • Options
    philoolaphiloola Posts: 3,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clarkson has been an excellent host & guest in the past.
    From seeing how his mood went downhill, it seems he just thought "I'm just gonna keep shtum, read the script and get it over with".
    With the usual level of good humoured p**staking it would have been a good show, but if the producers knew that Osman despises JC (from his autobiography) then this was obviously set up to be "event TV"

Failed spectacularly. Just ruined the show.