Options

Have I Got News For You. Series 50

Comments

• Options
    philoolaphiloola Posts: 3,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're going to run out of, what were traditionally "gold" guests. Boris, Farage etc.

Years ago they would get them on and then playfully tease and mock them for 30mins. Now they just seem to want to cruelly humiliate them. The result is that the guests won't come back and you'll be left with the usual third rate comedians as panelists and hosts.

If I can say one thing in Osman's favour... it's that he was absolutely spot-on about Jeremy Corbyn and the nuclear button (its a trap damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-dont question). And he's the only person I've seen on TV this week actually point this out.
  • Options
    Simon_Smith3Simon_Smith3 Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    Merton was right for the show when it began but in this "news = entertainment" era he's become a bit of a dinosaur.

I much prefer the News Quiz which is always much more biting and satirical than HIGNFY. Off the top of my head I think Jeremy Hardy, Susan Calman and Andy Hamilton all offer the potential to be much better on HIGNFY than Merton.
  • Options
    enna_genna_g Posts: 2,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had not watched this programme for quite some time as I thought it was getting past its sell by date.
    I decided to give it another try last night. It used to be quick, witty and laugh out loud funny - what happened?
    I am glad I am not the only one who thought that Osman's constant baiting was appalling and decidedly unfunny. I used to like him on Pointless when it first started but he is becoming increasingly more irritating and seems to want to take over. He is far too full of himself.
  • Options
    TheGrumpWizardTheGrumpWizard Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    enna_g wrote: »
    I decided to give it another try last night. It used to be quick, witty and laugh out loud funny - what happened?
    Political correctness.
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Merton was right for the show when it began but in this "news = entertainment" era he's become a bit of a dinosaur.

I much prefer the News Quiz which is always much more biting and satirical than HIGNFY. Off the top of my head I think Jeremy Hardy, Susan Calman and Andy Hamilton all offer the potential to be much better on HIGNFY than Merton.

With you about The News Quiz. It's always got a great atmosphere which is very infectious. All the presenters have been good, but thought Miles Jupp was a great choice. With his laugh, you sure know when he's found something funny. And I love Andy Hamilton in particular.
  • Options
    Yorkie64Yorkie64 Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    All in all a poor excuse for a panel show that is supposedly about current affairs
    Clarkson & Osman - handbags at dawn which wore thin after about two minutes
    Long - good reason to not have the token female
    Merton - was he there (& awake)
    Hislop - seemed to have a set agenda & was going to make the same observations whatever subject was actually being discussed
  • Options
    mourinhosmissusmourinhosmissus Posts: 5,593
    Forum Member
    grauniad wrote: »
    Osman was mildly amusing early on in Pointless, but he has become boring, not knowing when to leave a joke. The ongoing thing about how good Ben Miller is is becoming tiresome. He did the same in a short period of time with Clarkson, turning what was laughs into groans. I don't like Clarkson, but I was beginning to have sympathy for him.

BIB - that, to me, sums up Paul Merton.

He can be very witty but he milks his jokes until he becomes embarrassing. I'd be happy to see him leave HIGNFY.

As for Osman, I agree that he overstepped the mark and should leave these panel shows alone as he's just not that funny. Let him stick to Pointless.
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BIB - that, to me, sums up Paul Merton.

He can be very witty but he milks his jokes until he becomes embarrassing. I'd be happy to see him leave HIGNFY.

As for Osman, I agree that he overstepped the mark and should leave these panel shows alone as he's just not that funny. Let him stick to Pointless.

There's a Sky News article which calls Richard a 'comedian.' That gave me more of a laugh than all of last night's show.
  • Options
    FirespireFirespire Posts: 4,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Half of this thread reads as if it was written by the Jeremy Clarkson fan club, about a poor man ritually humiliated for 30 minutes.
    There was no more than 2 mins talk of Clarkson in the 30 minute show.
    The panel were expected to make comments about the host -
    There was one dig at the pay, one dig at Amazon Prime & also ITV2, two references to Chris Evans, two mentions of food, a dig at the Top Gear motoring programme, a bit of a joke about Jeremy Clarkson punching Richard, a comment likening Clarkson to Corbyn and one about using Clarkson as a slang term for male anatomy.
    All that happened was the panel made very quick comments, nothing was offensive not like when Clarkson is spread across the front page of a newspaper for making a comment that is racist or offending to people with learning difficulties or something similar.
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 55,026
    Forum Member
    Is Clarkson on a detox programme or something?

Although looking old he seemed to have spruced up, looked leaner or was it because he was sitting down and couldn't see his pot belly.

Something wasn't right, some very heavy edits and when Clarkson talked about having practised his look of distain if anyone raised the 'incident' it looked like it was during a glitch in the recording and he didn't realise the tapes were still running?

Osman nailed his politics firmly to the post with his defence of Jeremy Corbyn he got too rather serious might explain his comments to Clarkson.

Re the 'incident' I think the BBC and others have covered up for Clarkson and there was more to it than stated. Hislop surely made more damaging prods at Clarkson than Osman.....for example with substituting Clarkson for cock and the drinking Coke comment, the look on Clarkson's face may have revealed a lot?
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Firespire wrote: »
    Half of this thread reads as if it was written by the Jeremy Clarkson fan club, about a poor man ritually humiliated for 30 minutes.
    There was one dig at the pay, one dig at Amazon Prime & also ITV2, two references to Chris Evans, two mentions of food, a dig at the Top Gear motoring programme, a bit of a joke about Jeremy Clarkson punching Richard and also a comment likening Clarkson to Corbyn.
    All that happened was the panel made very quick comments, nothing was offensive not like when Clarkson is spread across the front page of a newspaper for making a comment that is racist or offending to people with learning difficulties or something similar.
    That's ten jokes (at least, assuming you've listed every single one) in a thirty minute programme. That works out to, on average, one joke every...no don't tell me... three minutes.

A joke about more or less the same thing every three minutes. The same joke. Every. Three. Minutes. 99% of them from the same person.

No-one's claiming they were offensive. We're saying it was simply boring as Hell.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    That's ten jokes (at least, assuming you've listed every single one) in a thirty minute programme. That works out to, on average, one joke every...no don't tell me... three minutes.

A joke about more or less the same thing every three minutes. The same joke. Every. Three. Minutes.

No-one's claiming they were offensive. We're saying it was simply boring as Hell.

Maybe the should have squashed them into a Clarkson section rather than spreading them out. I don't know why more didn't get written into the autocue for Jeremy to read out like a normal show. Maybe it would have not been right to have seen Jeremy making light of the situation.

Having the mick taken out of the guest host on the show is part of the show. eg Alexander Armstrong gets all the comments about being posh, Jo Brand reads out things involving her excessively eating something. Prescot gets weight and political digs.
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gashead wrote: »

A joke about more or less the same thing every three minutes. The same joke. Every. Three. Minutes. 99% of them from the same person.

Nor were they clever or funny.

I thoroughly dislike Jeremy Clarkson, I just thought Richard's attempts at humour were rubbish.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JamieHT wrote: »
    Nor were they clever or funny.

I thoroughly dislike Jeremy Clarkson, I just thought Richard's attempts at humour were rubbish.

I think they were fine, it's just the usual digs come from the autocue rather than the panel. At the rehearsal Jeremy should have been given the things Richard had. He could have done a "why don't you call Chris Evans?" line, "Anyone could get elected as labour party leader, well except me", "What's wrong with boring old men, I made a TV career from it" etc.
  • Options
    Terry.RTerry.R Posts: 1,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firespire wrote: »
    There was one dig at the pay, one dig at Amazon Prime & also ITV2, two references to Chris Evans, two mentions of food, a dig at the Top Gear motoring programme, a bit of a joke about Jeremy Clarkson punching Richard, a comment likening Clarkson to Corbyn and one about using Clarkson as a slang term for male anatomy.

Great post.

It's particularly satisfying seeing Clarkson fans getting their knickers in a twist because their boy took a bit of a ribbing on a TV show.

Oh, the irony.
  • Options
    IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Terry.R wrote: »
    Great post.

It's particularly satisfying seeing Clarkson fans getting their knickers in a twist because their boy took a bit of a ribbing on a TV show.

Oh, the irony.

The show can't win. People moan it's lost its bite yet when a panellist has a go at someone, it's disgusting bear baiting presumably because the person on the receiving end is a special flower who should be left alone. Clarkson seemed to take the jokes better than most on this thread have done, and he was the butt of the jokes!
  • Options
    WhyIsTVSoAwfulWhyIsTVSoAwful Posts: 608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes but no one here's really bemoaning Clarkson being the butt of harsh jokes or particularly defending him, if you read through the comments, they're all about how Osman came across in general, regardless of host - he was, somewhat uncharacteristically, spiteful and barbed and had a genuine air of unpleasantness about him.

I'm usually an Osman fan but even I found it uncomfortable and somewhat surprising. He came out of it worse, for sure.
  • Options
    philoolaphiloola Posts: 3,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not particularly a Clarkson fan.

I just tuned in hoping to see a satirical comedy panel show about current affairs. First show in a new series when the past few weeks has been a goldmine for content.

Instead I got 30 minutes of the man who sits behind a desk on Pointless having a go at a man he obviously has some sort of issue/history with, in an entirely unamusing way.
  • Options
    IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes but no one here's really bemoaning Clarkson being the butt of harsh jokes or particularly defending him, if you read through the comments, they're all about how Osman came across in general, regardless of host - he was, somewhat uncharacteristically, spiteful and barbed and had a genuine air of unpleasantness about him.

I'm usually an Osman fan but even I found it uncomfortable and somewhat surprising. He came out of it worse, for sure.

I believe that if Osman gave as much focus to making jibes at a political figure, there would be half the uproar on here. If the allegations on here are to be believed, Osman's dislike for Clarkson goes a long way back therefore I don't have anything against him taking the opportunity to get a few digs in. Clarkson, a man heralded for his straight-talking, could have given back as good as he got but he chose not to. That made it look one-sided and I can see how Osman came across as a bully in some people's eyes but I don't feel Osman has anything to regret.

As for the jibes not being funny, I agree not all of them were but as I said before, there wasn't a lot else being offered by the other panellists bar Ian. It would have been boring with or without Osman. Even Pig-Gate was shut down pretty quickly by Ian and Camilla Long, the former using the time to make a fair but not really funny point about Lord Ashcroft. You wouldn't have got an entertaining show without nasty Osman; at least he made this episode somewhat memorable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess if the panel pretend John Prescott is about to fight with them it's hilarious, if it's poor little Jeremy Clarkson it's some kind of cruel baiting attack. If some ex politician gets digs about being replaced by someone else it's hilarious but don't ever mention it to Jeremy Clarkson.

Richard is first and foremost a TV producer so maybe they just stick together or he has more of an understanding of what the people in that position have to do day to day that the TV on screen 'stars' don't. Jeremy Clarkson's victim was someone just trying to do their job.
  • Options
    MoleskinMoleskin Posts: 3,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard Osman was a BBC producer wasn't he so maybe that's why he kept having a go?

First time I've seen his nasty side.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think you'll ever see that. Clarkson is the type of bully-boy who would only "thump" someone who was extremely unlikely to fight back. Osman is about 6ft 7" and can probably take care of himself.
    The show was poor. But as far as the Clarkson/Osman confrontation goes, the BBC must have known how things would turn out. Osman detests Clarkson, what did they expect ? It was a stupid set up that just wasn't entertaining. I blame the BBC.

How do you know 'Clarkson is the type of bully-boy who would only "thump" someone who was extremely unlikely to fight back'? Do you know him personally?

He was involved in an incident where he appears to have slapped someone during an argument, in cases like that people tend not to stop and analyse whether the other person will respon.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moleskin wrote: »
    Richard Osman was a BBC producer wasn't he so maybe that's why he kept having a go?

First time I've seen his nasty side.

I don't think so, he worked (works?) for Endemol on various games shows so hardly a glittering career.
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm no fan of Clarkson , and whenever I've seen Osman before he's been very funny , but this time he just seemed to be a real dick , and his digs weren't even funny .

• Options
    fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    philoola wrote: »
    Worst episode for a long time.. and they were (on paper) good guests too.

It was heavily, badly edited.. the 'ribbing' went over the line and turned from funny into car-crash TV. Osman and JC obviously do not get on, for some reason.

And Paul Merton just looked bored and like he couldn't be arsed with it. Although, to be fair, thats been the case for years now.

I got the impression he did not like Richard Osman,he practically had his back to him.