Options

Cross forum posting: Question for people about being called Sir

mashamoto79mashamoto79 Posts: 2,884
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/people-who-dont-like-even-get-upset-calling-them-sir-1829219/

Above is a Canadian forum, I frequent and I really would love some input on this topic. This is generally a UK based forum and I would like to know how you would feel about being called Sir/Ma'am and if you would ever use it to address someone.

Comments

• Options
    swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm Canadian and I pride myself on politeness. I call everyone who looks even a minute older than me Sir or Ma'am. If I know their surnames it's Mr or Mrs. It's also either Aunty or Uncle if they're brown.

My mother would kill me if I called an "adult" by their first name.
  • Options
    Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    sweh wrote: »
    I call everyone who looks even a minute older than me Sir or Ma'am. If I know their surnames it's Mr or Mrs. It's also either Aunty or Uncle if they're brown.

I was sort of with you (although I dont necessarily agree) until "if they're brown". Then you lost me.

I dont think I ever call anyone Sir or Madam. Maybe at work, on the chance Im talking to customers, but thats more by title, Mr, Mrs etc.
  • Options
    swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ollie_h19 wrote: »
    I was sort of with you (although I dont necessarily agree) until "if they're brown". Then you lost me.

I dont think I ever call anyone Sir or Madam. Maybe at work, on the chance Im talking to customers, but thats more by title, Mr, Mrs etc.

The brown thing is a cultural reference. In certain communities you call elders Aunty/Uncle. You aren't actually related to them. It's the same as saying Sir or Ma'am.
  • Options
    St DabeocSt Dabeoc Posts: 3,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i couldn't say Sir or Ma'am without sounding like I was taking the mickey. And if someone called me Sir (or Ma'am) I'd think the same probably
    If I wasn't on first name terms with someone, i'd avoid calling them anything while still trying to be polite
  • Options
    mashamoto79mashamoto79 Posts: 2,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sweh wrote: »
    I'm Canadian and I pride myself on politeness. I call everyone who looks even a minute older than me Sir or Ma'am. If I know their surnames it's Mr or Mrs. It's also either Aunty or Uncle if they're brown.

I don't agree with you but out of interest, in a random situation like talking to another parent on the school run, if you didn't know their name would you address them Sir or Ma'am? In a casual situation, is that amount of formality necessary?
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I Never have Cause to call anybody Sir or Madam.

I thought you meant this was about addressing titled people as Lady x or Sir y . I would never do that anyway.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I never dreamed that this could be an issue.
  • Options
    poshblokeposhbloke Posts: 815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never use either term and find them vaguely irritating, if I'm honest. Faux politeness grates as much as none at all.
  • Options
    BigAndy99BigAndy99 Posts: 3,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://forums.redflagdeals.com/people-who-dont-like-even-get-upset-calling-them-sir-1829219/

Above is a Canadian forum, I frequent and I really would love some input on this topic. This is generally a UK based forum and I would like to know how you would feel about being called Sir/Ma'am and if you would ever use it to address someone.

Yes - when i worked in pubs and shops, if a man was the next customer my usual first address would be "Yes, Sir, how can i help?".

Don't ask me why, but i didn't say Ma'am to women, it was "Yes please, how can i help?".
  • Options
    culturemancultureman Posts: 11,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a general rule I loathe being addressed as 'sir'.

Cultureman (aged 57 years).
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've sometimes, although rarely seen it used when one person is trying to put another down and trying to act superior to the person they're addressing. E.g. Sir, I find your argument to be both asinine and contemptible, it revealed that you have failed to understand the issue at hand.

Other than that I have no problem with it. I most often get it from non-native English speakers just trying to be polite. Also sometimes from people working in hospitality type jobs like waiters/waitresses, bar staff and even the odd bouncer.

Only time I'd use them is if I was writing a formal letter. Not sure if it's still the done thing, but I still start those with "Dear Sir/Madam" if I don't know the name of the person receiving it.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It does seem to be a Canadian/US 'thing' along with the "have a nice day" etc!

During my school years however it was expected to address all male teachers as Sir, but then this was a time when discipline still existed and teachers ran the schools...not the kids!
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    I respond to no other form of address from strangers. Very close friends* and relatives are permitted some latitude.

*Well they would be if I had any.
  • Options
    AvidianAvidian Posts: 6,049
    Forum Member
    I used to work with people who called each other, and everyone else, either Sir, Miss...and occasionally Madam (more of a joke).

I've adopted the affectation.

I see it more as playful gallant civility rather than servile obsequiousness :D

(Obsequiousness, another word I can't pronounce :blush::D)
  • Options
    BigAndy99BigAndy99 Posts: 3,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard46 wrote: »
    I respond to no other form of address from strangers. Very close friends* and relatives are permitted some latitude.

*Well they would be if I had any.

pmsl brilliant!

...Your Majesty.
  • Options
    culturemancultureman Posts: 11,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In shops etc; unless I believe the CEO or owner of the chain would address me as 'sir', I don't require it of their more junior staff.
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just so long as I'm not called "mate" by a total stranger, I'm not that bothered.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As much as I loved getting my Tae Kwon Do black belt, I was never confortable with people calling me Sir, addressing as Mister (Surname) or bowing to me whenever I entered the room. It wouldn't have been too bad if it had been limited to classes, but it was a traditional club so it was expected of junior grades to treat black belts with that level of respect in social situations, which I hated, specially if the juniors grades were older than me.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I got used to it when I was at work.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    I refer to people I don't know as Sir or Madam. It's just common politeness without being over-familiar. I certainly prefer being called "sir" than "mate" any day!
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    It does seem to be a Canadian/US 'thing' along with the "have a nice day" etc!

During my school years however it was expected to address all male teachers as Sir, but then this was a time when discipline still existed and teachers ran the schools...not the kids!

In the school where I work, the pupils are still expected to call teachers and other staff Sir or Miss and it's just a normal comprehensive. Staff also call each other Sir or Miss - obviously in front of the kids but often in the staffroom too just out of habit (and it says the embarrassment of not knowing everyone's name when there are over 100 members of staff)

In general I wouldn't like to be called Madam though, I use it as a derogatory term (albeit jokingly) for my nieces when they're being a pain.
  • Options
    cobaye22cobaye22 Posts: 1,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Outside of restaurants or hotels it just feels awkward to me being addressed as 'Sir'.
    The first time it happened I was about 22 and nearly stopped in my tracks from surprise. I remember thinking later - 'oh, i was wearing a suit'.

And that's what it's all about really - hierarchy.

Our greatest transatlantic export.
  • Options
    NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,152
    Forum Member
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    I Never have Cause to call anybody Sir or Madam.

I thought you meant this was about addressing titled people as Lady x or Sir y . I would never do that anyway.

I'm with you there.
  • Options
    FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is a North American thing isn't it? I've noticed they say it a lot. It either comes across as overly formal or kind of patronising I think.
  • Options
    SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »

Mine too. We had to rise from our seats whenever a teacher came into our classroom as well. After addressing male teachers as Sir all through secondary school, I called my boss at work Sir for a while afterwards until I learnt to stop doing it !