Options

Great British Pottery Throw Down

Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
Forum Member
Just seen an announcement for the start of this. Starts Tuesday November 3rd. BBC2. Didn't catch the time.

Will give it a go, but am not sure it will be that popular.

Comments

• Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Janet43 wrote: »
    Just seen an announcement for the start of this. Starts Tuesday November 3rd. BBC2. Didn't catch the time.

Will give it a go, but am not sure it will be that popular.

Will be interesting, i'm amazed the production team even knew there was life north of watford and as a stokey it'll be a bit of fun as i started with pottery from pretty much the infants school as there was generally 3 main options pits,pots or steel in life and pretty much now theres barely any real industrial pottery left as you can make it for about 1/10th in china etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I live in Poole. The pottery there used to be a big employer. When it was on Poole Quay there were visitor attractions with tours round the factory, having a go on a wheel, decorating pots and the fairground attraction of smashing crockery.

It went into administration in 2003 and was sold and moved into the town. It went into administration again in 2006, sold and production moved to Staffordshire. The shop was re-opened on Poole Quay with a studio of just a couple of designers and painters working there on one off and limited editions. The shop's still and sells first and second quality Poole and a lot of other stuff, and visitors can still paint a pot.

The antiques experts still say Poole Pottery still exists manufacturing today, but for me, if it isn't made in Poole it isn't Poole. Just the same as Crown Derby has to be made in Derby.
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    Pottery now? Isn't this scraping the barrel somewhat?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    We'll have to wait and see. I'm prepared to give it a go, but I'm doubtful because people won't be able to do it at home unlike Bake Off and Sewing Bee - how many have a kiln or can afford one?

It's only 6 episodes.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JulesF wrote: »
    Pottery now? Isn't this scraping the barrel somewhat?

No, the Great British Barrel Scrape-Off begins Wednesday 11 November at 9pm on BBC2.
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,572
    Forum Member
    solarflare wrote: »
    No, the Great British Barrel Scrape-Off begins Wednesday 11 November at 9pm on BBC2.

:D:D:D

What a bizzare programme. How many of us have a potters wheel at home so we can practice.

This I will give this a miss.
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member

:D:D

Ha! Good one.
  • Options
    mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't sew, but I adore Sewing Bee, so I don't see why it wouldn't be interesting to see what talented people can do in this field.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It actually begins next Wednesday, 3rd November at 9.00 pm.

If you wait till the 11th, you won't find out if you want to keep watching until programme 2.
  • Options
    treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Janet43 wrote: »
    It actually begins next Wednesday, 3rd November at 9.00 pm.

If you wait till the 11th, you won't find out if you want to keep watching until programme 2.

I believe that it starts next Tuesday 3rd November at 9:00pm
  • Options
    Forum Member
    treefr0g wrote: »
    I believe that it starts next Tuesday 3rd November at 9:00pm
    You're right - it's Tuesday not Wednesday. Nowadays time goes so fast it's a miracle if I get the day we're on right, let alone a day and date in the future.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am going to record this.

Can't imagine what it will be like but am interested as I have done some pottery courses in the past and really enjoyed it.
  • Options
    Shadow27Shadow27 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same here, I wasn't expecting a GBBO style thread here but looks like it's just me watching it. I have done several pottery courses but mostly concentrate on glass so I do understand the fear of a kiln!
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well unless they are able to know what a saggar makers bottom knocker is they'll never be a real potter
  • Options
    Anya DAnya D Posts: 14,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's on!!!

First task, make 5 bowls that stack inside each other.
    They have four days.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not much interest then?:D:D
  • Options
    sausagesandwichsausagesandwich Posts: 2,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've also done a pottery course so will give this show a.fair hearing.
  • Options
    sausagesandwichsausagesandwich Posts: 2,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a tough technical challenge, making loads of identical handles
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, Im watching I like these sort of shows, the sewing bee,Hair, GBBO. I cant do any of those activities (Im a good cook but dont bake), but I find it really relaxing and interesting to watch people create things.
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is quite erotic, got the cushion on my lap
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some of these handles are quite clunky.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is quite erotic, got the cushion on my lap
    A lot of fairly suggestive clay stroking.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 313
    Forum Member
    Cant see this reaching the same heights as Bake Off or Sewing Bee - pottery is much more niche than baking and sewing.

That male judge's 'haircut' is doing my head in!
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a good pull :o phew, I'm having a right good time :cool:
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Out of interest, how are mass produced ceramics produced, are they done by machines?