Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    Leo has to win for The Revenant.
    Have you seen it then?
  • Options
    Enlighten_mentEnlighten_ment Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    Have you seen it then?
    DiCaprio never fails to deliver these days, I'd be shocked if he even turns in an average performance let alone a bad one. He's at the peak of his career and it looks like he's giving the most intense performance to date with the trailers we've seen.
  • Options
    owen10owen10 Posts: 128,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    They have said that Mark Rylance in the Bridge of Spies is magnificent also Maggie Smith is fantastic in The Lady and the Van
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DiCaprio never fails to deliver these days, I'd be shocked if he even turns in an average performance let alone a bad one. He's at the peak of his career and it looks like he's giving the most intense performance to date with the trailers we've seen.

There is also a chance the Academy may simply feel it's his "turn".
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    owen10 wrote: »
    They have said that Mark Rylance in the Bridge of Spies is magnificent also Maggie Smith is fantastic in The Lady and the Van
    I've heard this too. They may as well chuck all the actress awards into a bag and mail them to her.

I wouldn't mind seeing the film as I quite liked the book. It was a pleasant surpise, as the manicured smallness Alan Bennet's worldview sometimes gets on my tits.
    He was far better younger. These days he's too often making hard work of it, sweating profusely as he tries to convince. He's yet to master that seemingly effortless way of slipping into a role the true greats have. It doesn't help that some of the roles he takes on are somewhat underwritten either (e.g. Inception).
  • Options
    DisneyFreak83DisneyFreak83 Posts: 269
    Forum Member
    Yeah unless there is an upset Maggie Smith will win all the leading actress gongs next year.
  • Options
    Enlighten_mentEnlighten_ment Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    I've heard this too. They may as well chuck all the actress awards into a bag and mail them to her.

I wouldn't mind seeing the film as I quite liked the book. It was a pleasant surpise, as the manicured smallness Alan Bennet's worldview sometimes gets on my tits.

He was far better younger. These days he's too often making hard work of it, sweating profusely as he tries to convince. He's yet to master that seemingly effortless way of slipping into a role the true greats have. It doesn't help that some of the roles he takes on are somewhat underwritten either (e.g. Inception).

Nope, he's become even better actually. He gave standout performances as a teen with films like The Basketball Diaries and What's Eating Gilbert Grape but he's now become the complete actor where he can just about do anything. He played one of the great villains of the last decade in Django Unchained, a type of character which people were saying that he lacked in his filmography. He was hilarious in The Wolf of Wall Street. He's done it all. If he were to retire now, he still would've achieved far more than most actors even older than him.
  • Options
    marjanglesmarjangles Posts: 9,697
    Forum Member
    Nope, he's become even better actually. He gave standout performances as a teen with films like The Basketball Diaries and What's Eating Gilbert Grape but he's now become the complete actor where he can just about do anything. He played one of the great villains of the last decade in Django Unchained, a type of character which people were saying that he lacked in his filmography. He was hilarious in The Wolf of Wall Street. He's done it all. If he were to retire now, he still would've achieved far more than most actors even older than him.

I'm with Johnny Clay, Dicaprio showed immense promise in his early roles which he has never lived up to. The best performance he has ever given was probably in WEGG but it's been downhill ever since. I'm not saying his performances are bad they're just not great. I always feel when I'm watching him that I can see him him acting, he tries too hard and he never really convincingly becomes the character he's supposed to be playing. I've genuinely never seen a film with him in the lead and thought that it was a great performance and I can't think of a role he's played that could be considered iconic. He was an OK Howard Hughes I suppose.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A bit surprised Ian McKellen doesn't seem to have any buzz for Mr Holmes, released too early in the year perhaps?
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am hearing buzz for Kate Winslet and Judy Davis for The Dressmaker. The problem with Kate Winslet is the best actress field is becoming crowded as the week's go by. The supporting actress field is a bit quiet this year so that may help Judy Davis.
  • Options
    NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    Hopefully Colin farrell for lobster and Paul dano for love and mercy.

Tom hardy also :)

Yeah Colin Farrell was excellent in The Lobster and it was a brilliant film can't wait for the dvd :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    A bit surprised Ian McKellen doesn't seem to have any buzz for Mr Holmes, released too early in the year perhaps?

No. It likely hasn't stood out compared to others.
  • Options
    Chickens hitChickens hit Posts: 26,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    PANNAL1PANNAL1 Posts: 8,905
    Forum Member
    New York film critic awards should be announced today or tomorrow also. Golden Globe nominations next week
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    PANNAL1 wrote: »
    New York film critic awards should be announced today or tomorrow also. Golden Globe nominations next week

I hope paul dano is considered :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Michael Keaton and Saoirse Ronan among the New York critics winners. Todd Haynes winning best director for Carol
  • Options
    PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like Carol will be the big winner come award season then.
  • Options
    owen10owen10 Posts: 128,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well i think nominees is sorted for Best Actor and Best Actress I think the ones that will be nominated will be

Leonardo DiCaprio The Reverant
    Johnny Depp Black Mass
    Mark Rylance Bridge of Spies
    Michael Fassbender Steve Jobs
    Eddie Redmayne The Danish girl

Brie Larson Room
    Cate Blatchett Carol
    Jennifer Lawrence Joy
    Soairse Ronan Brooklyn
    Carey Mulligan Suffragette
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mark Rylance looks a safe bet for a nomination,but as supporting actor. Brie Larson seems the front runner to win best actress
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Will be interesting to see where Rooney Mara will be nominated. Some are saying lead,some supporting. Lead should give Alicia Vikander a seemingly clear run to a win here ,by all accounts
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark Rylance looks a safe bet for a nomination,but as supporting actor. Brie Larson seems the front runner to win best actress

No, she isn't. Rooney Mara is and has been since like August. But Brie's chance of a nomination is increasing more and more. But she isn't a front runner. Not yet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    owen10 wrote: »
    Well i think nominees is sorted for Best Actor and Best Actress I think the ones that will be nominated will be

Leonardo DiCaprio The Reverant
    Johnny Depp Black Mass
    Mark Rylance Bridge of Spies
    Michael Fassbender Steve Jobs
    Eddie Redmayne The Danish girl

Brie Larson Room
    Cate Blatchett Carol
    Jennifer Lawrence Joy
    Soairse Ronan Brooklyn
    Carey Mulligan Suffragette

I think Fassbender has a better chance of scoring one for Macbeth, than Steve Jobs.
  • Options
    PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will be interesting to see where Rooney Mara will be nominated. Some are saying lead,some supporting. Lead should give Alicia Vikander a seemingly clear run to a win here ,by all accounts
    No, she isn't. Rooney Mara is and has been since like August. But Brie's chance of a nomination is increasing more and more. But she isn't a front runner. Not yet.

Think Cate Blanchett has Lead actress in the bag for Carol.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rooney Mara has been heavily touted as supporting actress front runner for months,not lead which could change her front runner status in that particular category