Options

Hollyoaks - Cindy -Spoilers

soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
Forum Member
✭✭✭
just read on DS that cindy
is Alphies mother

is this a massve retcon or is it actually plausible?

Comments

• Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    Ik. Trying to remember the exact timings of when she left. Holly was born in 1997 and she stayed around a couple of years i think but left not long after Ben came in to go on the run as Holly had accidentally picked up an E at the Loft and she thought Social Services would take her away. I think it was 2000 and Mac certainly wasn't in the Village then.

So, depending on how old Alfie is meant to be, it might just be possible that he was conceived soon after she went to Spain.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    Ik. Trying to remember the exact timings of when she left. Holly was born in 1997 and she stayed around a couple of years i think but left not long after Ben came in to go on the run as Holly had accidentally picked up an E at the Loft and she thought Social Services would take her away. I think it was 2000 and Mac certainly wasn't in the Village then.

So, depending on how old Alfie is meant to be, it might just be possible that he was conceived soon after she went to Spain.

I thought he was the same age as Peri etc which means its just not possible
  • Options
    Dr K NoisewaterDr K Noisewater Posts: 11,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's deal with Cindy and Mac how long are they meant to have known each other? I thought he was just some random bloke Cindy met and married very quickly earlier this year. Has it been mentioned or hinted that Cindy has known him for a long time?
  • Options
    attitude99attitude99 Posts: 14,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cindy was still a regular character until 2001 and if Alfie is Nicos age which is 15 then it doesn't make sense
  • Options
    Forum Member
    soap-lea wrote: »
    I thought he was the same age as Peri etc which means its just not possible

Yes, i'd got the impression he was their age too, meaning a Sept 99 to august 2000 birthday which I'm sure rules Cindy out - or at least it should do.

I can't remember the exact date but I don't think Ben came in until late 99 so it must have been after that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Also very hard to believe Cindy would have given a baby up /abandoned them after everything she'd been through with Holly.
  • Options
    nats18nats18 Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member
    I read his wiki page i'm that annoyed. He's skipped a year. So he's 13-14 I think. So if she left for good in early 01 it's just possible. Tho i'm positive it was late 01. I said this in another thread she would have to have got pregnant on the show. Then she'd have to have cheated on ben before her change into jude 2.0. This wouldn't have happened. I'm seriously annoyed as I have watched from the start and I don't like retconning characters I've watched for years.
  • Options
    HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know what is more annoying this or the fact the chose a character that is bland as shite, him, Ellie and Anita are just bad at acting.
  • Options
    BabanBaban Posts: 2,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Harlowe wrote: »
    Don't know what is more annoying this or the fact the chose a character that is bland as shite, him, Ellie and Anita are just bad at acting.

Neeta is awful. Very pretty and seems like a nice character but absolutely terrible actress - makes Liberty Savage look good
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nats18 wrote: »
    I read his wiki page i'm that annoyed. He's skipped a year. So he's 13-14 I think. So if she left for good in early 01 it's just possible. Tho i'm positive it was late 01. I said this in another thread she would have to have got pregnant on the show. Then she'd have to have cheated on ben before her change into jude 2.0. This wouldn't have happened. I'm seriously annoyed as I have watched from the start and I don't like retconning characters I've watched for years.

yeah I was looking at Wiki last night. whoever put all those family relations in is off their head!

I am annoyed too as It does seem to be a massive retcon that doesn't fit dates.

plus Cindy doesn't seem to know/be concerned that her "son" is in the village. he wasn't even adopted by the nightingales straight away hence the second birthday thing and Cindy left with Ben and Holly to ensure the social didnt take holly, what did she do leave the invisible child behind for them.
  • Options
    Dr K NoisewaterDr K Noisewater Posts: 11,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just seen the DS article I didn't realise this was confirmed and had been onscreen I thought it was all just speculation :o Obviously didn't read the OP properly.

The worst bit about this storyline for me is the dad lying to his son that he was adopted. I think that's really cruel. Allowing his son to grow up with no identity, feeling like an outsider, not knowing who he really is or where he came from. When all along the man who raised him is his dad after all and his brother and sister are his blood relatives as well - half-siblings anyway. Why couldn't Mac have just told him his mother abandon him and raised him as his own? Surely that would have better for the boy at least then he would have known he was wanted by his dad at least and in the company of his own family.
  • Options
    vkmaxvkmax Posts: 3,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can not believe they're doing this story AGAIN it's not two years since they done with with peri. So basically nico, Alfie, peri, Dylan ... All long lost kids and Toms had 9000 parents
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vkmax wrote: »
    I can not believe they're doing this story AGAIN it's not two years since they done with with peri. So basically nico, Alfie, peri, Dylan ... All long lost kids and Toms had 9000 parents

don't forget Darren with his mother becoming not his mother so Sandy could be
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just seen the DS article I didn't realise this was confirmed and had been onscreen I thought it was all just speculation :o Obviously didn't read the OP properly.

The worst bit about this storyline for me is the dad lying to his son that he was adopted. I think that's really cruel. Allowing his son to grow up with no identity, feeling like an outsider, not knowing who he really is or where he came from. When all along the man who raised him is his dad after all and his brother and sister are his blood relatives as well - half-siblings anyway. Why couldn't Mac have just told him his mother abandon him and raised him as his own? Surely that would have better for the boy at least then he would have known he was wanted by his dad at least and in the company of his own family.

exactly, its a bit sick really that this kid is told he is adopted and a big thing of it is made every year when really his dad is his dad. It is beyond cruel

part of me hopes Mac is lying but why would he?

also what of the nightingale broods mother how does she fit into it all
  • Options
    bumpandgrindbumpandgrind Posts: 12,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This might be a twist too far for me. I was willing to put up with the massive dross that has become the GHK plot - particularly the lack of evidence to link Trevor to any of the deaths (was he even near the hospital for all of them?!)

Cindy being the mum of Alfie is just one unnecessary plot twist that just doesn't work for me.

Bye bye Hollyoaks. It was fun while it lasted.
  • Options
    ReoReo Posts: 8,664
    Forum Member
    I don't understand why Cindy would give up a child when she had Holly already and with the things I read, she was desperate not to lose Holly around that time, so why give up another child?

I am kind of interested to see where this goes and what the Cunnigham/Savage's relationship with be like with Alfie and the others. However, seeing what they did with Sandy and Darren, I don't have a lot of hope. That was completely pointless, they changed history and all for nothing, the two had barely a handful of scenes together, there was absolutely no point in making Sandy Darren's mother and as a brother to the Roscoe boys, he could have just been mates with them and there would be no difference.

There are other things in the show that I hate more than this history changing twist.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm going to watch the mcqueens/pete storyline until this turns to crap too. I'll just have to record each ep as everything else will be fast forwarded.
  • Options
    winter99winter99 Posts: 16,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Considering writers have forgotten Cindy & Tom are closely related - I don't have much hope for this story.
  • Options
    SecretLifeoBeesSecretLifeoBees Posts: 50,940
    Forum Member
    It's up there with Sandy being Darren's mum in terms of "what the hell were they on when they thought this was a good plot". If they wanted to boost the cunninghams then why not have him being the spawn of Jude or something. This just smacks of trying to link new characters to old to try and make them more appealing. It didn't work with Sandy and Darren either. What next, Jack Osborne revealed to be Tom's real dad after it is revealed he was shagging Helen? lol. Never mind long term viewer knowledge
  • Options
    LHolmesLHolmes Posts: 13,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a bizarre plot twist. It makes the recent retconning in EastEnders look small fry. Utterly stupid to give this to a long term character like Cindy whose history isn't in any doubt. I couldn't believe what I was reading when I saw the DS article.
  • Options
    RinsewindRinsewind Posts: 7,171
    Forum Member
    Has anybody else considered the fact that it might actually mean that Cindy was married to Mac BEFORE she married India's grandfather (can't remember his name)?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rinsewind wrote: »
    Has anybody else considered the fact that it might actually mean that Cindy was married to Mac BEFORE she married India's grandfather (can't remember his name)?

Well at the moment Mac implied it was a recent marriage. Though next week they may have got married before the birth of alfie who knows
  • Options
    seventhwaveseventhwave Posts: 4,967
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's up there with Sandy being Darren's mum in terms of "what the hell were they on when they thought this was a good plot". If they wanted to boost the cunninghams then why not have him being the spawn of Jude or something. This just smacks of trying to link new characters to old to try and make them more appealing. It didn't work with Sandy and Darren either. What next, Jack Osborne revealed to be Tom's real dad after it is revealed he was shagging Helen? lol. Never mind long term viewer knowledge

There's no need to do it with Jack and Tom. It's Birkwood's way of trying to make his creations a permanent fixture by tying them in to an existing family - there's Danny Lomax being Ste's dad too. It's ridiculous and not needed at all; not everyone in the village needs to be related. The Loveday storyline is generally regarded as better than anything the Roscoes, Lomaxes or Nightingales are doing (or at least it was, until the ridiculous Sonia/Zack/Theresa triangle started) and they're not related to anyone else. But then I suppose that's because the show had no other black characters at the time they arrived. If a Valentine returned to the show we'd probably find out they were related to the Lovedays (or even if Vincent came back ...)
  • Options
    Louise_HartLouise_Hart Posts: 3,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The worst thing about that was they never even did anything with it, It went no where, Darren's never even given storylines or interactions with the Rosco brothers, Its just wierd:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member

I'd imagine the answer will be that Mac was married to the older children's Mother at the time of Alfie's conception so he was scared his wife would leave him or his children hate him if the truth was known.

I still hate that they're doing this though.

If they must have his Mother be connected to the Village, wouldn't Jude have made more sense as she had left Hollyoaks by then. She was also hard enough to abandon a baby. Cindy would still be his aunt and might have known about it and even have had a later affair with Mac after she'd moved to Spain.