Options

Anyone find Adele's music boring?

Comments

• Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw her live once, in between the release of 19 and 21, and it was one of the most boring shows I've ever seen. She had no stage presence whatsoever, barely interacted with the audience and looked decidely uncomfortable as though she didn't really want to be there and was just going through the motions.
  • Options
    RocketpopRocketpop Posts: 1,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    21 is the album version of the film Titanic. It's a decent enough piece of art that became the must see/listen to thing for women everywhere, the same could be said for 50 Shades of Grey the novel, the only difference is that isn't anywhere near a decent piece of art!

Most men - husbands, boyfriends, brothers etc have been dreading the return of Adele, not because they hate her, or her music (well some do) - just that they are going to have the women in their lives subjecting them to it over and over for the next few weeks/months/years!!

Also the comparisons between 21 and Titanic continue with Adele getting a bit of the Winslets about her recently, every interview now has to include several versions of 'I'm normal, me' lines!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst you are probably right to a large degree, I find it depressing how many young and younger people don't just settle for this kind of mediocre output but actually hail it as ' great' music.
    This to me is the rather strange and as you say, somewhat depressing thing about popular music at the moment. It's like young people have turned into their parents. And then you have some of the more vociferous Adele fans on this forum being middle-aged people acting like teenagers. It's all arse about face.

But then again, I don't think the interests of many young people (late teens, early twenties) are being represented that accurately by the charts. I think because of the Internet we have a situation where many young people don't value music any more or see the need to actually buy it (and music just isn't as important to them or something they get as passionate about any more because it's all instantly available to them and there are many more other forms of entertainment available to them).
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    She seems like a nice person and I have nothing against her but her music is so formulaic and predictable. Every song seems to sound the same. I'm female btw but I really hate soppy ballads and middle of the road stuff. They make me vomit.
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She seems like a nice person and I have nothing against her but her music is so formulaic and predictable. Every song seems to sound the same. I'm female btw but I really hate soppy ballads and middle of the road stuff. They make me vomit.

But they don't :confused:
  • Options
    yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member
    shelleyj89 wrote: »

I agree it's just any old excuse to knock Adele. She's a Brit, she's talented, we should not be knocking her.
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boring and bland. Just like Sam Smith's music.
  • Options
    callmedivacallmediva Posts: 1,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree it's just any old excuse to knock Adele. She's a Brit, she's talented, we should not be knocking her.

Why not? Just cos she's British?

Lewis Hamilton is British and look at how many people knock him, despite his 3 world championships!

Anyway back on topic. Yes Adele is bland and boring, same formulaic song structure, but it's not her fault, it's what Brit School teach and churn out year after year
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If people don't like her music, that's fair enough. But the "they all sound the same" reasoning is simply bizarre, because they don't. In what world does Water Under the Bridge sound like Remedy, or Million Years Ago, or I Miss You? None of them sound the same, or even vaguely similar.
  • Options
    FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've heard people criticising her for being unadventurous, bland, samey etc. I've seen people call her a chav or make comments about her weight. But now claiming that she can't actually sing and has no talent? That's just delusional.
  • Options
    yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member
    callmediva wrote: »
    Why not? Just cos she's British?

Lewis Hamilton is British and look at how many people knock him, despite his 3 world championships!

Anyway back on topic. Yes Adele is bland and boring, same formulaic song structure, but it's not her fault, it's what Brit School teach and churn out year after year

I feel sad that people knock Lewis too, I am proud he is British, he is the best.
    So is Adele and she is far from bland.
  • Options
    Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seriously, how on earth can anyone say that her songs "all sound the same"?!! They don't whatsoever. Her songs are all different and they are not all break up songs which is what I've seen someone else here say. Some people here keep saying that all her songs are sad songs...they're not!! A lot of people criticising her and making untrue statements without even listening to the album.
  • Options
    Daisy BennybootsDaisy Bennyboots Posts: 18,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Smudged wrote: »
    This to me is the rather strange and as you say, somewhat depressing thing about popular music at the moment. It's like young people have turned into their parents. And then you have some of the more vociferous Adele fans on this forum being middle-aged people acting like teenagers. It's all arse about face.

But then again, I don't think the interests of many young people (late teens, early twenties) are being represented that accurately by the charts. I think because of the Internet we have a situation where many young people don't value music any more or see the need to actually buy it (and music just isn't as important to them or something they get as passionate about any more because it's all instantly available to them and there are many more other forms of entertainment available to them).

I agree. Half the problem is pop music doesn't appear to be driven by youth culture. There's a malaise in music at the moment which I can only descrive as "X Factor drear" where everything is slow and sentimental and a bit saudade. I'd put Sam smith in the same bucket as well as a million Damien Rice wannabees who just wallow in a really false, meaningless sentimentality. I stopped listen to the radio a couple of years ago because of it.

When I was 19 - popular music was so diverse and available to everyone there was bit of it in the charts. Most of the time, the charts was a mix of cheesy pop, british indie, indie/college rock, hair rock, heavy metal,american rnb pop, madchester, shoegaze, boybands, hardcore, techno,house, deep house...heck even country music.

But now, there's either dance music that sounds like it made for an advert, posturing rappers or...

Easy listening.

Not there's nothing wrong with easy listing, I adore the Carpenters. But for such a jilted generation who can't afford the rent, work zero hours contracts, student debt up the the eyeballs...is Easy Listening Adele all they aspire to? I don't know about parents..they've turned into our grandparents!

(rambling now, I'll shut up :D)
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She can sing but she's probably the most overrated artist on the planet. She's good, but not that good. They way people talk about her is like she's the second coming of music.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    shelleyj89 wrote: »

Well every song I've heard seems to. I never listened to her albums so i cant comment there. I get that shes takented and she seems like a nice person but she is just overrated
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really like her fast joyful songs.
    They really challenge the agility of her voice, and show that she has more than one trick.
    Not so keen on the slow ones where her sound is just relentless and diction a bit peculiar.
  • Options
    my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well every song I've heard seems to. I never listened to her albums so i cant comment there. I get that shes takented and she seems like a nice person but she is just overrated

so you've not heard the albums bur feel qualified to say all her songs sound the same. Lets assume then that you've heard the singles or the most high profile ones at least. Are you sure you want to suggest on a public forum that you're unable to distinguish between Rolling in the deep, Someone like You, and Hello (the 3 everyone has heard). Is this the one thing you want us to know about you and your ears?:D

I have no problem with people finding her music boring, everyone finds the music of artists they don't like boring, thats why they don't like them
  • Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    I think the only song of hers I would recognise is that one about setting fire to the rain.

I like that one. Seems like she's got a decent voice. Is that typical of her work?
  • Options
    shadesofblackshadesofblack Posts: 1,965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's different in the states. Clearly. We can't get enough of her. 25 has sold 2.3 million copies in three days here. NSYNCs record will fall today.
    Guy who supposedly saw her in concert, the one thing we all can agree on is that she talks shit throughout the whole show. She's legendary with it. Not sure who you saw.
  • Options
    gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    She can sing but she's probably the most overrated artist on the planet. She's good, but not that good. They way people talk about her is like she's the second coming of music.
    Well I saw a post that someone thought, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, The Pixies, Foo Fighters, Smashing Pumpkins, The White Stripes, Arctic Monkeys, and Muse were overrated

Every band is overrated

fact
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gold2040 wrote: »
    Well I saw a post that someone thought, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, The Pixies, Foo Fighters, Smashing Pumpkins, The White Stripes, Arctic Monkeys, and Muse were overrated

Every band is overrated

fact

Its how the industry get punters to part with their money.
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gold2040 wrote: »

Every band is overrated

fact

Not really. Some are some aren't. Adele is good. But I cannot for the life of me see why everyone thinks she's outstanding.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 172
    Forum Member
    lyrical content G? Lol. Might want to look up I Miss You. Stat. Don't remember lyrical content like that in 21. :)
    It's her Weeknd! Heck yeah.
    lol! Like I mentioned, I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive. Got somewhat acquinted with Hello and When We Were Young from Internet, but waiting for my copy to arrive.
  • Options
    shadesofblackshadesofblack Posts: 1,965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GeorginaPL wrote: »
    lol! Like I mentioned, I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive. Got somewhat acquinted with Hello and When We Were Young from Internet, but waiting for my copy to arrive.

You must live off the beaten path G. I could have hand delivered it faster! From Cali.
    Check I Miss You out when you get it and get back to me. :)
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She needs to go away.

Noone is forcing you to listen to it so what is your problem?