Options

Marvel's Jessica Jones - Season 1 Discussion Thread (Spoilers in Tags)

Comments

• Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really loved this series.
    Similar to Daredevil in ways, but yet also different in many other ways.

David Tennant was deliciously nasty.

I also like the way in which the supporting characters are actually treated as real characters who are fleshed out with their own lives and motivations. They aren't there just to serve exposition.
    There are actually scenes which are purely about the sub-characters which are independent from anything Jessica Jones is up to.

I also think that Carrie-Anne Moss as Jeri Hogarth played a great turn as well. Very interesting character that plays off Jessica well.

One of the highlights of the series was around episodes 9-10 I think, when they captured Kilgrave and have him locked up in a hermetically sealed room.

I wonder if we have seen the last of Simpson or whether he will turn up in some capacity in one of the forthcoming Netflix series?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Rachael Taylor is great in most things that she appears in.

Just finished ep 3 myself and enjoying it. I like that it's darker than other Marvel series.

The only odd thing is that apart from a reference to "the green guy" there really isn't any reference to the rest of the Marvel Universe.

They did mention New York being attacked by aliens and buildings collapsing, which I took to be a reference to events in the first Avengers film.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wampa1 wrote: »
    I know what you mean about the fights. For Jessica, it was like punch a guy, cut to the guy flying 30 feet, throw a guy, cut to the guy flying 30 feet... The cuts were too obvious.

I guess that you have to consider that Jessica and Luke are a lot stronger than Daredevil. I think that Daredevil has a largely different skillset from these two.

I thought that the first bar scene brawl with Luke and Jessica knocking the crap out of the friends of the man whose wife was having an affair with Luke was really done well.
    More specifically I'm thinking of the way Luke Cage was just swatting normal humans around like they were flies. I thought that was quite funny as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bob_Massey wrote: »
    I've just finished episode 7. For those interested, some of the policemen in this episode are also the same police in Daredevil, and Stan Lee's picture is also still on the wall, even if the station set is different.

I find the thought of Killgrave far more scary when he's off the screen, when David Tennant comes on it kind if spoils it for me. Still, a great show and keen to see what happens next,

From what I've read or watched online it's exactly the same police station which was used in Daredevil.

I think it's the smaller scenes with Kilgrave which I find somehow more chilling. Such as getting irritable with someone and just ordering them to do something quite mundane, but still cruel. Such as ordering the boy and girl to get into a cupboard.
    Or even simply telling somebody to walk over to a fence and stand there facing it forever. It's that really nasty way in which he does it.
    I think it might be because it is quite familiar with real life psychological abuse, and it's definitely something many viewers can relate to, even if it reminds people of some experience of having an absolutely horrible boss at work.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In fact was this a first?
    The first time superhero sex has been depicted on film?

I suppose there was quite a lot of it (though not very explicit) in Buffy.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finished watching Ep10 at 2am this morning, so wanted to carry on watching. :D

Biggest shocks were what
    Simpson and Hope did, neither under the control of Kilgrave. Had a feeling Clemmens as a nearly retired cop wasn't going to survive the series but didn't expect that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    Finished watching Ep10 at 2am this morning, so wanted to carry on watching. :D

Biggest shocks were what
    Simpson and Hope did, neither under the control of Kilgrave. Had a feeling Clemmens as a nearly retired cop wasn't going to survive the series but didn't expect that.

Simpson was under some sort of control though. By Kozlov and the pills he was taking as part of that secret program he was on.

I haven't read the comics so did a bit of Googling and this is what I found out.
    Will Simpson is based on a character in the comics called Frank Simpson.....
    ....He became a supervillain called Nuke.
    Nuke was a test subject of the Weapon Plus program, the supersoldier program that had created Captain America and would later transform Wolverine into a killing machine. The enhancing and conditioning process went awry, leaving Nuke seriously deranged.

Nuke has a second heart, and takes different colored pills to produce different bodily effects. Nuke's pill colors are: red, for increased adrenaline; blue to bring him down; and white, to keep him balanced between missions.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuke_(Marvel_Comics)

So it appears that Simpson has been placed into a position where he may be brought back at a later stage in a future series involving these Hell's Kitchen superhero characters.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interestingly it turned out that the story arc everything was built around for most of the series, to try and save Hope, was a massive failure for the characters.

It's not that often that superheroes fail in pursuit of their main objective. Although Daredevil had quite a few mini-fails (pretty much every other episode) this was a massive failure which the entire story arc led us towards.

So after the failure to save Hope what else is there left to do other than to simply murder Kilgrave?

It's very bleak when you think about it in those terms.

I've just realised, we're supposed to put almost everything into spoilers are we as people are watching the series at different rates?
    Can somebody instruct me on how this thread is supposed to work? Are we to assume that not everybody has seen the full series and that people who have need to put a lot into spoilers?
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I've just realised, we're supposed to put almost everything into spoilers are we as people are watching the series at different rates?
    Can somebody instruct me on how this thread is supposed to work? Are we to assume that not everybody has seen the full series and that people who have need to put a lot into spoilers?

Best thing is to put any details into spoiler tags and state which episode they are about or which ep they are up to if from multiple eps.

It does limit the conversation a bit but to be honest there hasn't been that many people discussing the show.
  • Options
    YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    Just finished it tonight and I loved it. I think it's way better than Daredevil and possibly my favourite superhero show (possibly beating Flash).

I think it's because it's so different. Jessica isn't your normal hero and Killgrave isn't all brawn.

Tennant just stole the show. What a fantastic villain. Truly amazing.
    I'm actually quite sad he's dead. I would love to see more of him. I've not seen mind control portrayed that well before. It felt like he could have the whole world do his bidding and no one could stop him.

Just amazing.
  • Options
    red_g00nerred_g00ner Posts: 817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finished it yesterday evening. Binged all the episodes over three evenings.

Was quite impressed, l may have to give DareDevil a second chance, only watched the first episode.

But please JJ can you wear something else apart from those jeans!
  • Options
    Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,293
    Forum Member
    Finding time to binge watch is hard! Finished the first 3 eps now.
    The casting for this is fantastic, there's no dead weight anywhere. I'm still unashamedly shipping Jessica and Trish - "When you left... " "You became a ninja?!" :D but Luke is a good counter-balance to Jessica's raw, impulsiveness. He's a man of few words so far, but you feel like what he does say matters and he sees through Jessica's bravado.

The tension is ramping up nicely now that Tennant has turned up. I did have to laugh during the fight scene with the mind-controlled copper, first hit and his instinct is to reposition his hat! :D
  • Options
    lordo350lordo350 Posts: 3,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow. What a show. Just google this thing - pretty much everywhere on the web before it premièred, people had their doubts. The general consensus seemed to me that it looked good, but probably won't be as good as Daredevil. That was such a surprising masterpiece of TV that many, including me, didn't think they would top it, or even could. But now, it seems most are in agreement - this is an absolutely fantastic show.

Is it better than Daredevil? I think both are good in different ways. They are telling different stories, and both do it unbelievably well.

This show was just brilliant from start to finish. The characters, the acting, the action, the writing - once again, this was more than just another TV show. It was unpredictable and exciting - just when you thought you could see where they were going, something completely unexpected happened. It creeped you out, excited you, and was just downright entertaining.

Krysten Ritter - wow. This girl was perfect in the role. There was a very real theme here of recovering from an abusive relationship, except in this crazy world where Iron Man, Rocket Raccoon and Agent Coulson's SHIELD team exists, you can throw in some superheroes. Jessica was damaged, and this series was as much about her not deciding to become a bad person as it was her being a hero. The connections to the MCU where kept to a minimum - I can believe this takes place in the same New York as Daredevil, but the same one where the Avengers supposedly have a big Tower... not so much. Not a criticism though.

David Tennant - wow. As usual, he gives a fantastic performance. Obviously, the showmakers have watched Secret Smile - he played a sadistic abusive man in that as well, and stole the show there. I won't say he stole the show here - the cast is so damn good that everyone gets the limelight, but his performance is just as chilling, and just as gripping.

In a society where women are under-represented, and monstrosities like 50 Shades of Grey are popular, it's refreshing to have a show with so many strong female characters. It's subtle, it's great, and I loved it. I mean compare this to the first few episodes of Super-Girl. That show is practically screaming it's feminist agenda (I am rather enjoying Super-Girl, don't get me wrong), with constant doubts about her because she's a girl, and one enemy even screaming how "women bow down before men on his planet." I get what they are trying to do there, but it's just so in your face (to be fair, I do think that's intentional). Here, it just felt genuine. Jessica Jones may have super strength, but she went through hell, and came out the other side. This is a female character to get behind. And I really want to see more.

Bravo to all involved. Can't wait for more.
  • Options
    shaddlershaddler Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watch the first episode yesterday. All the pointless sex scenes put me off, it felt like a really clumsy attempt at defining itself as a mature show.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I finished season one tonight.

Loved it :)
    Poor Pam!

Jess gets off after actually murdering someone (albeit someone who did deserve it), while Pam rots in jail because Jeri hung her out to dry.

One thing I didn't really get:
    How did Kilgrave's enhanced powers work via the phone and the PA system, when it was previously said that his powers came from viral microparticles that he gave out? I can go with him having a larger range and a longer effect, but not working over the phone or PA. Or was the hospital a special case because he'd effectively infected the whole building, so it wasn't like his actual power was going over a phone line?
  • Options
    not_the_doctornot_the_doctor Posts: 1,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »

Loved it :)]
    Just finished it as well, and as much as I liked it, I didn't think it was anywhere near as good as Daredevil. I really didn't buy Tennant as a particularly convincing villain. Never much cared for his acting style, and I thought they laid it on a little bit too thick with Jennifer's characterization. She constantly told us how broken she was, and showed us how she drank to deal with her trauma, but the way it was written and played, it came across a little bit like attention seeking, rather than someone who was really damaged.

I also thought the story started dragging a little bit around episode 7 or thereabouts. For some reason I was under the impression there were only 11 episodes, but as I made my way through episode 11, and it didn't seem like it was going to wrap up anytime soon, I was a little disappointed to find I had to sit through another couple of episodes, where at the same point in Daredevil, I wished there had been many more episodes left. But maybe it was just because it was late. Overall I did enjoy it, though, and I'm looking forward to the Luke Cage show.
    How did Kilgrave's...
    I don't think you'll get a rational explanation for that one. The way his powers worked seemed a little inconsistent. For instance, it doesn't make much sense that Jessica was somehow able to break his "spell" after killing whatsherface, if his powers were essentially biochemical in nature. But even that is kind of a weird explanation, as it seems like he might then be powerless in a strong headwind. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Loved it :)
    Poor Pam!

Jess gets off after actually murdering someone (albeit someone who did deserve it), while Pam rots in jail because Jeri hung her out to dry.

One thing I didn't really get:
    How did Kilgrave's enhanced powers work via the phone and the PA system, when it was previously said that his powers came from viral microparticles that he gave out? I can go with him having a larger range and a longer effect, but not working over the phone or PA. Or was the hospital a special case because he'd effectively infected the whole building, so it wasn't like his actual power was going over a phone line?
    People are vulnerable not to his voice itself, but to the pheromones he gives off, so it wouldn't make a difference if he issued a command over the phone or in person.
    However come to think of it the issue would still be how come his voice would be distinctive over anybody else's? How would the person on the receiving end of the call identify his voice as being one which they have a compulsion to obey? Would they need to know that it is Kilgrave on the other end of the phone line or could anybody order them about?
    The person would somehow need to subconsciously identify the voice on the phone as being the same person who was producing the pheromones.

If I think one part was weak.....
    ...it was the way in which Kilgrave was dealt with at the end. It seemed to be too easy for Jessica. Kilgrave already knew that she could resist his power, yet he allowed her to walk right up to him, lift him up, and break his neck, as he was there bargaining with her with no evident fear of what was surely going to happen to him. Obviously she was going to murder him. What makes him think that she wouldn't? Did he simply think she wouldn't go far as to kill him? So I wasn't entirely convinced by the ultimate showdown at the end.
  • Options
    SillyBoyBlueSillyBoyBlue Posts: 3,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just joining in with the praise for this show, excellent from start to finish and the casting was spot-on. You could imagine a lesser show having a scene at the end where Jessica starts to drink from a bottle, thinks better of it and drops in in the bin. No such cliches here, thank god!

One trivial question:
    Kilgrave was the virus, and could only command people to his will if he were in the vicinity. After that he could go away and the command would be 'set' in the victim for the next 12 hours or so (or longer, after his enhancement). But when he was killed in the last episode, it implied that his influence had been terminated (in the same way Dracula's control over his minions is terminated when he's killed) and any commands wiped from his victims (e.g. the 'wtf' look of the people on the dock). But I don't see why that would be the case - once he's set a command for someone to do he doesn't have to be around anymore, whether it's because he's moved from the vicinity or, in fact, dead.

So wouldn't the people on the dock be stuck there for another day or whatever, unable to move? And I'm not sure how long Luke was unconscious for, but when he woke up, wouldn't he still want to kill Jessica?

A minor niggle - I'm looking forward to the Luke Cage series now. And ultimately The Defenders!
  • Options
    SillyBoyBlueSillyBoyBlue Posts: 3,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I think one part was weak.....
    ...it was the way in which Kilgrave was dealt with at the end. It seemed to be too easy for Jessica. Kilgrave already knew that she could resist his power, yet he allowed her to walk right up to him, lift him up, and break his neck, as he was there bargaining with her with no evident fear of what was surely going to happen to him. Obviously she was going to murder him. What makes him think that she wouldn't? Did he simply think she wouldn't go far as to kill him? So I wasn't entirely convinced by the ultimate showdown at the end.
    Because she'd convinced him that she was once again under his influence. She didn't move, even when he was makiing Trish do horrible things in front of her. He believed his enhancement had allowed him to once again control her. Also, given that the final massive enhancement had muddled with his head, perhaps his judgement wasn't as sharp as it should've been.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good article in The Guardian but don't read until you have finished the season as it is full of spoilers

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2015/nov/27/jessica-jones-shattering-exploration-addiction-control
  • Options
    Jenny1986Jenny1986 Posts: 16,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just finished it as well, and as much as I liked it, I didn't think it was anywhere near as good as Daredevil. I really didn't buy Tennant as a particularly convincing villain. Never much cared for his acting style, and I thought they laid it on a little bit too thick with Jennifer's characterization. She constantly told us how broken she was, and showed us how she drank to deal with her trauma, but the way it was written and played, it came across a little bit like attention seeking, rather than someone who was really damaged.

I also thought the story started dragging a little bit around episode 7 or thereabouts. For some reason I was under the impression there were only 11 episodes, but as I made my way through episode 11, and it didn't seem like it was going to wrap up anytime soon, I was a little disappointed to find I had to sit through another couple of episodes, where at the same point in Daredevil, I wished there had been many more episodes left. But maybe it was just because it was late. Overall I did enjoy it, though, and I'm looking forward to the Luke Cage show.

Daredevil and JJ have both been really well received in general, so it's interesting to read how people prefer one to the other and why. Your reaction to JJ is almost the exact opposite to mine in every way. I thought David Tennant was terrific and actually the best villain Marvel have put on screen so far.

I totally bought into his character, and Jessica's for that matter. Her behaviour never felt like attention seeking to me because attention was the absolute last thing she wanted. When the series started she didn't seem to have any social life outside getting drunk. It's only when Kilgrave reappears that she is even connected to the other characters in a meaningful way, I don't think she had spoken to Trish in 6 months when the series started and they are like sisters. I think it was a good portrayal of someone with trauma trying to fight back even though it was the hardest thing for her to do.

I think the story just connected with me, maybe because of the emotional and personal nature of it. I actually haven't managed to finish Daredevil yet, i'm finding it really hard going. I'm trying to finish it, i'm on episode 9, and i'm not finding it particularly enjoyable. I honestly can't say why, I don't really have a bad thing to say about it, it's just not clicking with me. I may be unusual in that I much prefer Matt Murdock as a lawyer to him as Daredevil. So yeah I think we are the exact opposite! :)
  • Options
    not_the_doctornot_the_doctor Posts: 1,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jenny1986 wrote: »
    I totally bought into his character, and Jessica's for that matter. Her behaviour never felt like attention seeking to me because attention was the absolute last thing she wanted.
    Sure, and that's why I felt like it was a writing mistake, rather than an intended character trait. They just kept hitting that exact same note again, and again, and again. We get it Jessica, you're damaged, and you drink. And the way she almost had a little smirk on her face when she replied that "it's called whiskey" when Trish asked her how she dealt with it all, just didn't come across right to me. Particularly at that point of the story. It sounded more like "yeah, I'm pretty rad". Similarly, I felt that same repetitiveness might have been what made the show drag a little bit for me. I lost count of how many times Jessica had Killgrave within her reach, only to have him slip away, and her then heading back to her apartment for a drink.
  • Options
    Kai ThompsonKai Thompson Posts: 3,032
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a very good show. Better than Daredevil (I don't think I made it past ep 5)
    Kilgrave was such a despicable character and wonderfully acted.

I like that they left a lot of stuff dangling in the air which is sign they have confidence the show will get a second seaosn.

I do hope Jessica appears in the Marvel movies at some point, obviously with little hints to her past as to not disturb the light tone the movies generally have.
  • Options
    Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    I'm nearing completion of the show (episode 12 now). Has anyone ever stopped to think that maybe people who were out to get Kevin should have just worn earphones or something? I mean, if they can't hear him, they're not going to do as he says, right?

Luke + Headphones = Kevin's smashed up face. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shaddler wrote: »
    I watch the first episode yesterday. All the pointless sex scenes put me off, it felt like a really clumsy attempt at defining itself as a mature show.

It's based on the comic books. The show hasn't attempted to be more mature for television, and is trying to keep to the spirit of the source material.