Options

The Dumping Ground - CBBC

Comments

• Options
    thehordeoftravthehordeoftrav Posts: 383
    Forum Member
    Looking forward to the Bailey episode. A two parter opener?
  • Options
    RingoJ739KRingoJ739K Posts: 23,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like to see some info on why Rick and Elektra left and where they went. Would've liked to have seen their exit stories as they were two of the best characters. Also , they never explained why Gina left and the new house? Even small pieces of dialogue would be nice.
    Expecting some exits for the older charcvters in the next series.

Last year, some fans were asking this question on twitter and Elly Brewer (ex writer of Tracy Beaker Returns and the first two series of The Dumping Ground) answered this

"Gina left for a better paid job - needed the money to pay for her mum's care home. Elektra went to live with her sister."

It was never directly mentioned in Series 2 though. (Although, the same thing actually happened in The Story Of Tracy Beaker where some characters came and left as the series progressed).

The lack of explanation about them moving house still bugs me and the fact that some characters act as if they've always lived there which is false. Even Liam claiming that he grew up in Ashdene Ridge when he came back last year was complete BS. Lol. While I have started getting used to the new house, I still miss Elm Tree House. It's a shame they had to knock the building down in real life.

We can probably assume that Rick went to live with his dad. It's pretty likely considering the events that happened in Dreamland.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ahh right, some onscreen dialogue would be cool though.
    Has anyone seen 'The Dumping Ground Dish Up' with Sapphire, Johnny, Elektra, Lilly and Frank. I found it slightly ridiculous how they were all in character, since it had no real impact on the show , so it would've worked better if they were out of character.

Watching the Mo Parent episode right now - and didn't Mo live in a shed? Mike said he's never had experienced living in a house? It doesn't fit with new details.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ahh right, some onscreen dialogue would be cool though.
    Has anyone seen 'The Dumping Ground Dish Up' with Sapphire, Johnny, Elektra, Lilly and Frank. I found it slightly ridiculous how they were all in character, since it had no real impact on the show , so it would've worked better if they were out of character.

Watching the Mo Parent episode right now - and didn't Mo live in a shed? Mike said he's never had experienced living in a house? It doesn't fit with new details.

It was nice to see some old faces again but yeah, I agree that it made no difference with them being in character.

BIB - Yeah, I noticed this too. A bit of inconsistency there with a character's history background being changed and whatnot. That's one of my only few gripes with the series. I also had the same gripe with Tracy Beaker Returns where they pretended that Tracy's mum never came back to see her.
  • Options
    bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    RingoJ739K wrote: »

That's good, I thought it returned in Sept at some point
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bbclassics wrote: »
    That's good, I thought it returned in Sept at some point

Same. I think that will probably be the case for the second half of the series. :)

Series 4 starts today. Won't be able to watch it live as I'm busy with work but I'm gonna catch up on CBBC Iplayer. Enjoy the episode guys. Hopefully it's a good one.

I'd also like to send my congratulations to Dani Harmer who is about to become a mum for the first time!:D She confirmed that she was pregnant a few days ago which is great news. Best of luck to Dani and her partner! It's official! Tracy Beaker is pregnant! I feel kinda old now. :blush:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/tracy-beaker-actress-dani-harmer-7239624
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I thought it was entertaining but odd at some points. Bailey's fake mothers motives for lying seemed very weak and how did she think that she wouldn't get found out ( Social services would've checked straightway). Baileys Dad returned! It's always nice when a guest character returns for a new episode (especially two years after their original appearance). The actor that played him was much better this time round. The restaurant owner guy was also good. All the cast fitted well back into their characters.

Tyler's voice has broken! Tyler's child like personality doesn't fit in with his voice anymore so I'm expecting some more major character development this series.

I'm hoping for some episode set outside the carehome. It's always fun when they've been taken out the usual location.
  • Options
    emma888emma888 Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be honest, I didn't find the episode that great. The idea was good, and it was an interesting issue, but the whole episode was only focused on Bailey, who isn't a great character anyway. I thought it would have been good as a single episode, but it just didn't have enough material for an hour-long episode. The subplot was slightly better, but kind of unrealistic and also not really focused on the characters. Still, it was an okay episode, hopefully the rest of the series is better.
  • Options
    NoxyNoxy Posts: 5,578
    Forum Member
    There was too much going on but none of it really worked. I've noticed that lately with TDG, they try to cram too much into each episode instead of letting stories breathe, and it just leaves you unsatisfied. Fair play to the actor who plays Harry though - not many boys would dress like a girl because a script tells them to! What a good sport. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Agree on the point that there wasn't enough material for an hour show. The Shakespeare play clips were there to just to fill in time. The Bailey plot was resolved about 15 minutes before the end. Would've worked better as a single episode just focused on Bailey. The ofsted plot could've been given its own episode and expanded a bit more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's definitely the weakest opening episode that The Dumping Ground has had so far. I was pretty disappointed with the Bailey plot. It just felt so weak and not properly developed. The B plot wasn't that great either. It pretty much acted as filler. Shame. I was actually looking forward to it but it just didn't live up to expectations. Better luck for the next few weeks.

Tee, Carmen and Jody team up next week!
  • Options
    NoughtiesMusicNoughtiesMusic Posts: 15,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was completely stupid to have Bailey's mum (Tiana Benjamin) get revealed as a fake after that build up and in one episode alone. A plot like this could've been explored over a few episodes. She was listed as Alison in the credits despite Bailey's dad calling her Bryony.

She should have been his real mum all along and instead of rushing to form a relationship, it should've been an arc for this series IMO where she tries to reach out to him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Was Bryony's motive for 'knowing' Bailey - money? A bit unsure why she would go to all the trouble, possibly to have a flat too. It was a hell of a risk - social services would check up on her at some point.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know what happened to Rick?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmm, episode 4 was better than I expected. I didn't have very high hopes for it, but it was okay; not the best, though. The overall plot wasn't great, it seemed like more of a subplot really, and nothing much seemed to happen. I also didn't think it was that well written. The parts about Jody's past, and why she had stage fright, were good, though. I also liked how Billie had more to do. She's not really had any storylines yet, but she was actually really good in this episode, and I liked hearing more about the twin's backstory. Her plot also reminded me of the plot in The Story of Tracy Beaker when Bouncer deliberately damaged stuff so he could stay at the dumping ground. The episode definitely had some good parts, but it wasn't the best. The third episode is often less dramatic, though, so maybe the rest of the series will still be better.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    emma888 wrote: »
    Hmm, episode 4 was better than I expected. I didn't have very high hopes for it, but it was okay; not the best, though. The overall plot wasn't great, it seemed like more of a subplot really, and nothing much seemed to happen. I also didn't think it was that well written. The parts about Jody's past, and why she had stage fright, were good, though. I also liked how Billie had more to do. She's not really had any storylines yet, but she was actually really good in this episode, and I liked hearing more about the twin's backstory. Her plot also reminded me of the plot in The Story of Tracy Beaker when Bouncer deliberately damaged stuff so he could stay at the dumping ground. The episode definitely had some good parts, but it wasn't the best. The third episode is often less dramatic, though, so maybe the rest of the series will still be better.

It was Episode 2, wasn't it?

The twins are SO cute, but the one who plays Billie I think seems to have a bit more about her than her sister. It was nice to see Jody's character explored a bit more; she seems to have been a bit neglected recently, as has Sasha. Floss is hilarious but she isn't getting much material either, and it would be nice to see a bit more of Mike as well. It's still entertaining but it all feels a bit uneven recently.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I found the latest episode to be really boring. I didn't find myself engaged in it at all. The episode seemed badly edited. Nothing really fitted together and the plot was slightly underdeveloped.
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I liked the focus on Jody's past, but I've been watching TV too long. As soon as they started talking about street dancing and Jody showed up very a convenient face obscuring cap, I knew a double would be doing the dancing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The last episode was ok but I prefer the more dramatic ones (about family, parents etc). It did have the sin of putting in that irritating earworm song Black Magic (by Little mix), will be stuck in my head now D:
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    I liked the focus on Jody's past, but I've been watching TV too long. As soon as they started talking about street dancing and Jody showed up very a convenient face obscuring cap, I knew a double would be doing the dancing.

Yes Jody seemed to grow a bit taller during the dance scenes...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I quite liked the last episode probably because I find the idea of aliens fascinating. But how did Mo not know what an emo was?

Also liked the subplot of Tee meeting up with that athletic guy, true to life imo, the sporty guys are the most arrogant in my experience.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wasn't sure about the latest episode. I found it kind of confusing, maybe because I missed the first few minutes, but it all seemed more random than anything. I guess it was okay, but not my favourite episode ever. My brother found it good, though, so maybe it's just my opinion.
    It was good to see Mo get another central episode, though. He's always been quite underused so it's good that he's featured more lately. The idea behind the episode was good, I guess, and it fitted Mo's character well. Other than that, though, the episode wasn't that great.
    The sneak peek for the next episode looks really good, though, though the Ryan storyline has been going on way too long! I was just thinking today how sick I was of the EastEnders storyline that ended this time last year, but I have to say Ryan's storyline has been just as bad! Especially since usually in the dumping ground there's only one plot to an episode. Still, the episode looks like it should be good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Saddens me to say this, but I thought that episode was absolute rubbish. The Dumping Ground is a great show, but this series is an absolute mess.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Noxy wrote: »
    Saddens me to say this, but I thought that episode was absolute rubbish. The Dumping Ground is a great show, but this series is an absolute mess.

Actually, I have to say I kind of agree. This series has been pretty crap so far, to be honest. None of the episodes have been particularly great at all. At least the next two episodes sound like they might hopefully be slightly better, though...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The recent two episodes were boring. I lost interest and ended up going on my phone.
    This series so far has been the worst. CBBC has already commissioned Series 5 (20 episodes) and Series 6 (24 episodes). They are running out of ideas and the increase in episodes will just result in decrease in quality. A 13part series allowed for an story arc, event episodes and a few fillers. A 20Part series means more fillers and a stretched-out story arc.
    I guess TDG is relatively inexpensive to produce compared to more high concept dramas.