Options

Did you like David Bowie as a performer and person?

Mr_David_BrentMr_David_Brent Posts: 367
Forum Member
Any memories?

Comments

• Options
    yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a very unhappy teen I used to escape into Bowie's music. Everyone else was into Wham and I had a huge crush on Major Tom. I saw him at the NEC during his Greatest Hits tour when I was about seventeen and he was an outstanding performer.

As a person he was a bit bonkers I guess, but he always struck me as a very charming and funny man. I loved his films too, The Man who Fell to Earth especialy, and even Labyrinth, if not just for those very tight tights lol.

Feeling quite tearful today. I suppose when a celeb who meant so much to you in your youth passes away, it reminds you of your own mortality.
  • Options
    Cat SimonCat Simon Posts: 622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought he was wonderful.

He was the soundtrack to a lot of peoples' youths, especially in the 70s.
  • Options
    Mr_David_BrentMr_David_Brent Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    Did he do the music in "Duke Nukem Land of the babes?" It is an old PS1 game.
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great artist and good guy. Rip David.
  • Options
    Cally's mumCally's mum Posts: 4,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I very much liked his music. He was always 'outside the box' of each generation, dancing to his own tune but equally influential in a lot of other musicians' work.

It's a sad day for music and his fans around the world. Not to mention, of course, his family.

I didn't know him as a person and doubt many if any of us here did so can't comment, but someone was saying on BBC this morning what a nice, polite gentleman he was, which made such a difference to the surly, monosyllabic stars she normally dealt with.
  • Options
    pope_tartpope_tart Posts: 3,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First album I ever bought was Aladdin Sane...didn't know who he was then, but the artwork appealed to me in the shop....don't think I was ever the same again.

I think his presence in the 70s instantly divided teenagers into two groups....the fabulous and creative who loved him, and the bland and conventional who preferred the Osmonds and Bay City Rollers.

I think he inspired many people to express their individuality and was so much more than his music. He was a huge part of my teenage years.

RIP David - a true original :(
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Labyrinth was one of those film from my childhood that stuck with me.

As I got old I started listening to his greatest hits. Life on mars, and heros are amoungst my favorites.....

All hail the goblin king.....
  • Options
    donna255donna255 Posts: 10,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never met him, but teenage memories of laying in bed with a tiny radio tuned Luxenbourg hearing Star Man. Had to buy Ziggy Stardust with my pocket money.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 101
    Forum Member
    Discovered Bowie through Labyrinth in my early twenties, so I was a latecomer.. Got into his stuff in a big way after the TV series Life On Mars made such excellent use of his music. So I'm a relatively new fan compared to most but I'm still in such shock, and so sad over his death.

From what I saw of him as a person through the media he always came across as a real gent with charisma like no other.

So yes to both questions. :)
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Huge Huge fan first saw him man many years ago when he was first started out and followed his music avidly since then, I've been to a gig on every tour he's ever done & actually had the privilege to meet him a couple of times - I'm gutted this morning
  • Options
    WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always been unsure about him as a person, based on the things I've heard about his past, but I like his music and love Labyrinth.
  • Options
    CMcKinleyCMcKinley Posts: 3,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never liked his music but I appreciated him because he was very different from the norm. Just done his own thing his way.
  • Options
    Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He was fantastic, great artist, great performer etc. However, on watching the news this morning, they really do go overboard. I know it’s terrible that he has died, but saying things such as he changed the face of music videos etc I think is an exaggeration. Michael Jackson changed the music video, David Bowie simply made very good music videos. He was great though, constantly reinventing himself. Great man.
  • Options
    nw0307nw0307 Posts: 10,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yorkiegal wrote: »
    As a very unhappy teen I used to escape into Bowie's music. Everyone else was into Wham and I had a huge crush on Major Tom. I saw him at the NEC during his Greatest Hits tour when I was about seventeen and he was an outstanding performer.

As a person he was a bit bonkers I guess, but he always struck me as a very charming and funny man. I loved his films too, The Man who Fell to Earth especialy, and even Labyrinth, if not just for those very tight tights lol.

Feeling quite tearful today. I suppose when a celeb who meant so much to you in your youth passes away, it reminds you of your own mortality.

I was at the NEC gig too. He's been my hero forever
  • Options
    PoppySeedPoppySeed Posts: 2,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved him, Hunky Dory is one of my all time favourite albums. Feel very sad today. I always loved his nose (strange, but his nose has a lovely profile). I will be putting my old vinyl on today.
  • Options
    Norn2Norn2 Posts: 1,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    didn't really know much about him. i don't know any of his songs. i just knew him from that movie labyrinth, used to watch it as a kid on nickelodeon and it would scare me so much
  • Options
    yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nw0307 wrote: »
    I was at the NEC gig too. He's been my hero forever

my dad had bought me two tickets so I could take a friend. I was one of those teens who didn't have any friends lol so in the end he had to sell the other ticket and I ended up watching the concert with the girl who'd bought it. Being there was the first time I'd ever felt that it was ok to just be me and not have to fit in with the crowd. It gave me a few inner defences for when I got back to school. I just remember how simple the performance was. All the black and white images on the screen behind him and none of the glitz of the Glass Spider Tour which I had watched to death on videotape at home.
  • Options
    td1983td1983 Posts: 2,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Always felt he was a bit overrated personally, not the greatest voice in the world, but I do fully acknowledge that he still released a lot of good tunes, I liked Young Americans and Starman, among others. As a Queen fan though, my personal favourite will always be Under Pressure-just listen to that note Freddie hits in it! At least they're now reunited.
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Norn2 wrote: »
    didn't really know much about him. i don't know any of his songs. i just knew him from that movie labyrinth, used to watch it as a kid on nickelodeon and it would scare me so much

Maybe you should trying listening to some of his stuff
  • Options
    Rogana JoshRogana Josh Posts: 41,348
    Forum Member
    donna255 wrote: »
    I never met him, but teenage memories of laying in bed with a tiny radio tuned Luxenbourg hearing Star Man. Had to buy Ziggy Stardust with my pocket money.

Those were the days saving up for a record then really enjoying every nuance of it for goodness knows how long ;-)
  • Options
    Rogana JoshRogana Josh Posts: 41,348
    Forum Member
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    Great artist and good guy. Rip David.

God Bless, David R.I.P.
  • Options
    cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CMcKinley wrote: »
    I never liked his music but I appreciated him because he was very different from the norm. Just done his own thing his way.

Did you not like any of his songs? There was such variety of styles that I don't think I've come across someone who didn't like at least a couple of them.

Genuinely interested btw, not having a go :)
  • Options
    TexAveryWolfTexAveryWolf Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He had an impact beyond music, and was a god to those of us outliers from the 70s.

Visited Brixton today, and the airwaves and cafes were full of his music.

And now he' gone, I actually think his work will be trully appreciated for its' strange and mercurial genius.

RIP Aladdin Sane
  • Options
    abigail1234abigail1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember seeing him singing "Starman" on TV and nothing was quite the same after that. I loved all his complex, strange lyrics and experimental music. After a decade or more where he wasn't producing new music, he suddenly came out with a new album, "The Next Day" which I bought 2 years ago. I was thrilled when he released another album, Black Star and was sampling it two days ago, thinking that he was changing yet again musically and that this was a very strong album. I had no idea this was his final album, made when he was ill and knew it would be his swansong.

He has been my idol for pretty much all my life. RIP David Bowie
  • Options
    evie71evie71 Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do like some of his music and remember him m well in the seventies and eighties. As a person I think he's a bit of an enigma. Rarely giving interviews and being seen very,very rarely in public. All I have to go on are a bunch of second hand stories, mainly about his debauched lifestyle (I guess mostly myth of course) apart from his music, he gave very little away about Bowie the man. There is something about his marriage to iman too. Very little is known about the diamics there and I don't think I've ever seen a picture of their daughter.

I did however find him very attractive and was sad to hear of his passing today.