Options

Baddy Paddy Emmerdale

Happy_MummyHappy_Mummy Posts: 1,504
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Did I miss something the other night? In a recent episode Paddy was having a conversation with Tess and he told her that he had always imagined having a child of his own one day...unlike Leo or a foster child.

Isn't that what Rhona was suggesting at the beginning before the whole adoption thing? She was inviting Paddy up to the bedroom to make another baby and Paddy told her he didn't want another child!!!! That's why she decided to adopt.

So why the bloody hell was he moaning about not having his own child??????!

Can't stand fat Pad, can't wait for Tess to reveal all

Comments

• Options
    abrightyzabrightyz Posts: 24,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i want to mix numpty dumpty in an omelette and serve it to zak's pigs
  • Options
    samcains90samcains90 Posts: 4,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe he's said that?

I wish I had been paying attention for that scene but I find the whole story so contemptible that I zone out when either character appears on screen.
  • Options
    srhgtssrhgts Posts: 8,939
    Forum Member
    I hope to god vile Paddy's genes are never passed on. Odious character.
  • Options
    thejoyof_patthejoyof_pat Posts: 30,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's right OP, that is the reason the adoption thing started wasn't he worried about rhona age as well in terms of the pregnancy?
  • Options
    TeifiboiTeifiboi Posts: 14,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's right OP, that is the reason the adoption thing started wasn't he worried about rhona age as well in terms of the pregnancy?

I think that if one has had one Downs syndrome baby, then there's an increased chance of having another.

I don't know Paddy & Rhona's ages off hand, but the risk increases with the mother's age, starting to rise in the mid 30s and peaking at about 45. For women over 35, risk increases with the age of the father too. Hence there may be sound reasons for Paddy & Rhona to decide not to have another natural child. Not that I'm saying that Down's children are to be avoided. I have friends with a Downs child and one couldn't wish for a nicer child.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly. I hate the storyline anyway. I'm going to take this as an opportunity to say just how much I hate Paddy. He is a vile character in my opinion, pretending to be a nice guy when really he is extremely self centred, two faced, and hypocritical. I don't like Dominic Brunt either from what I've seen and read in his interviews. Paddy is poorly acted and one of my personal most hated characters in soap. I dont like the way he is so well loved in the village and him and the other characters all seem to think he's something he's not. I'm crossing my fingers that he gets his commupance and us either made to leave the village with his tail between his legs or killed off but none of the other characters care.
  • Options
    GlendarrochGlendarroch Posts: 20,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Teifiboi wrote: »
    I think that if one has had one Downs syndrome baby, then there's an increased chance of having another.

I don't know Paddy & Rhona's ages off hand, but the risk increases with the mother's age, starting to rise in the mid 30s and peaking at about 45. For women over 35, risk increases with the age of the father too. Hence there may be sound reasons for Paddy & Rhona to decide not to have another natural child. Not that I'm saying that Down's children are to be avoided. I have friends with a Downs child and one couldn't wish for a nicer child.

I think Rhona' s meant to be late 30s/ early 40s. Paddy' s 40 something too ( I think). He did express concern about how they would cope if they had another disabled child. Saying that my parents were both born to parents of that age with no complications and that was 70 years ago :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did I miss something the other night? In a recent episode Paddy was having a conversation with Tess and he told her that he had always imagined having a child of his own one day...unlike Leo or a foster child.

Isn't that what Rhona was suggesting at the beginning before the whole adoption thing? She was inviting Paddy up to the bedroom to make another baby and Paddy told her he didn't want another child!!!! That's why she decided to adopt.

So why the bloody hell was he moaning about not having his own child??????!

Can't stand fat Pad, can't wait for Tess to reveal all

You' re right, Paddy said both :o Ooops , continuity blooper, writers!!!:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You' re right, Paddy said both :o Ooops , continuity blooper, writers!!!:D

Well he was saying no to Rhona because he didn't want to have a child with her because of his affair with Tess. He brought up Leo's downs to put her off.
    Aaron told him off for something I can't remember after Rhona came up with the adoption idea and he made another excuse and then he said ok to Rhona.

So it seems to me he does want another child, just not with Rhona. He is truly disgusting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    samcains90 wrote: »
    Well he was saying no to Rhona because he didn't want to have a child with her because of his affair with Tess. He brought up Leo's downs to put her off.
    Aaron told him off for something I can't remember after Rhona came up with the adoption idea and he made another excuse and then he said ok to Rhona.

So it seems to me he does want another child, just not with Rhona. He is truly disgusting.

He is for the purposes of this story ;-):D
  • Options
    AncalagonAncalagon Posts: 2,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the storyline but I have never been fond of Paddy.

I don't get the way the actor chooses to approach his scenes with Aaron. He acts nervous and timid and has to make several attempts at getting his sentence out. It just seems an odd way to play it.

I know Aaron can be stroppy and prickly and difficult to engage with, but honestly Paddy is meant to be a father figure to him, not a trembling school kid..

Anyway the affair storyline is good because it is true to Paddy's character and I am looking forward to Rhona getting something meaty to get her teeth into (as an actress) once she finds out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ancalagon wrote: »

I don't get the way the actor chooses to approach his scenes with Aaron. He acts nervous and timid and has to make several attempts at getting his sentence out. It just seems an odd way to play it.

I know Aaron can be stroppy and prickly and difficult to engage with, but honestly Paddy is meant to be a father figure to him, not a trembling school kid..

Anyway the affair storyline is good because it is true to Paddy's character and I am looking forward to Rhona getting something meaty to get her teeth into (as an actress) once she finds out.
    I think he' s always worried and nervous about setting Aaron off. What I gate is the way he bends over backwards to oblige Aaron who can say and do whatever he likes to Paddy.
  • Options
    WhiskyrumWhiskyrum Posts: 1,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    he should have been axed years ago
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He is for the purposes of this story ;-):D

Well, yes exactly. Ordinarily I am usually very fond of the character.

I don't fall for the obvious plot device story telling that was used to get Aaron to talk to Robert instead.
  • Options
    sheepiefarmsheepiefarm Posts: 27,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well, I would guess getting battered almost senseless by Aaron probably has a lot to do with it ;-)
  • Options
    OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I would guess getting battered almost senseless by Aaron probably has a lot to do with it ;-)
    Getting shot by Aaron's boyfriend who also threatened his wife and child probably didn't inspire a lot of confidence either. :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 251
    Forum Member
    Well, Paddy+Aaron scenes together and relationship have always been very popular. I think the actor playing Paddy is really good in those ones and complemented him very well when huge emotional stuff was going on.
    Also, to call Paddy vile... I don´t know about that lol If anything this current affair seems out of place (due to Kate Oates insisting on reuniting Robron sadly, I really think she has planned these several plot devices just to make the almost impossible reunion after what happened last year... happen). But every single soap character has had an affair. Apart from that, he´s been a saint for most of his long stint in the show. What he has done for Aaron all these years and especially after breaking up with Chas is pretty WOW.
  • Options
    SS_SummerSS_Summer Posts: 2,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This was my take on it as well. The disinterest in having a baby with Rhona was excuses because of his guilt/preoccupation with Tess, not necessarily a reflection on his interest in having a child. Im surprised there is so much hate for Paddy here actually. Other than right now (this affair is so out of character for him) he's always been a very likeable character in my eyes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah that would give him issues, but, you'd think years later, if he has forgiven him he would of learnt to trust him and relax a little.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best_Soap wrote: »
    Well, Paddy+Aaron scenes together and relationship have always been very popular. I think the actor playing Paddy is really good in those ones and complemented him very well when huge emotional stuff was going on.
    Also, to call Paddy vile... I don´t know about that lol If anything this current affair seems out of place (due to Kate Oates insisting on reuniting Robron sadly, I really think she has planned these several plot devices just to make the almost impossible reunion after what happened last year... happen). But every single soap character has had an affair. Apart from that, he´s been a saint for most of his long stint in the show. What he has done for Aaron all these years and especially after breaking up with Chas is pretty WOW.

Really? Paddy has a history of being a cheat and quite selfish when it comes to love. He cheated on Emily with Viv, He got with Rhona moments after she ended it with Marlon.

Also I don't see why Kates oates would need to contrive Paddy's affair just to get Aaron and Robert together, that literally makes no sense, the fact that Aaron has confided in Rob about his abuse is enough to put them back on track, regardless of who or what Paddy is doing.
  • Options
    BouffalantBouffalant Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    Anyone else keep reading this thread title as "Baldy Paddy"?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really? Paddy has a history of being a cheat and quite selfish when it comes to love. He cheated on Emily with Viv, He got with Rhona moments after she ended it with Marlon.

Also I don't see why Kates oates would need to contrive Paddy's affair just to get Aaron and Robert together, that literally makes no sense, the fact that Aaron has confided in Rob about his abuse is enough to put them back on track, regardless of who or what Paddy is doing.

But Aaron would likely have confided in Paddy had they not had a falling out over Paddy's affair. That is how the plot is contrived.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 251
    Forum Member
    But Aaron would likely have confided in Paddy had they not had a falling out over Paddy's affair. That is how the plot is contrived.

Exactly! Robert would have never get a chance of being alone with Aaron when he collapsed if Paddy had not started an affair and also all the rest of things I mentioned. I love Aaron and enjoyed Robert villain ways but their reunion is forced. I truly think now that Kate thought about several of these stories to make their reunion possible. But now I still not buy it. They will be a great watch togetehr cause they are two good actors (Danny amazing) and have chemistry. But I will never forget Robert abused Aaron. It even takes me away from the very important current child abuse story for Aaron. To amke him confide in a person who abused him mentally last year is a fail to me.
  • Options
    FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find Paddy cheating totally unbelievable.. I mean who would want him for a start!? especially a blonde bombshell like Tess.. would he know how to handle her in the bedroom!?

He seems such a weasel !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best_Soap wrote: »
    Exactly! Robert would have never get a chance of being alone with Aaron when he collapsed if Paddy had not started an affair and also all the rest of things I mentioned. I love Aaron and enjoyed Robert villain ways but their reunion is forced. I truly think now that Kate thought about several of these stories to make their reunion possible. But now I still not buy it. They will be a great watch togetehr cause they are two good actors (Danny amazing) and have chemistry. But I will never forget Robert abused Aaron. It even takes me away from the very important current child abuse story for Aaron. To amke him confide in a person who abused him mentally last year is a fail to me.

I'm wondering if this might be the intent. That the show is recognising Aaron's cycle of abuse that he inflicts on himself, dating back to his childhood. By being in love with the abusive Robert he is continuing that cycle and he is going to realise that Robert is no good for him and grow as a character.

If that happens, then we could be in for some actually decent scenes in the coming months. Though seeing the massive demand, clawing for the couple to reunite I don't think this is something we will ever see.